Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
WD52

What live song do you skip or endure?

Missed this thread when it first started - it's an interesting one though.

To each their own of course. But I'm a little surprised that In My Time of Dying even was mentioned, let alone the impetus for the entire thread. It's one of my very favorite Zep tracks, and on the available recordings the band plays it well most of the time - in fact, of all the longer tracks they played from '75 onwards, it might be the most consistently well-performed.

As for which tracks I tend to skip, I must admit that I skip Moby Dick a lot, and often the Noise Solo too. Sometimes I also skip partway into the '77 versions of White Summer if Page is having an off night, although I don't skip it entirely because the final couple of minutes are a really cool intro to Achilles. And while some of those very long 1977 No Quarters are cool, a lot of them are... not so much. So I skip those if it's not a strong night for that song.

I also tend to skip Kashmir, Hot Dog, and White Summer when listening to the 1980 shows, because they f*** up Kashmir with alarming frequency on that tour, and by my count Page nails the Hot Dog solo exactly once (6-21 Rotterdam), and White Summer exactly never, out of the 14 shows on that tour .

Edited by tmtomh

9 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

only one,  Black Dog. Love the album version hate the live.

Even the '71 versions?!  The 8/21/71 LA version is SO good!  Bonham's bass drum sounds like a cannon, and Jimmy does this thing near the end of his solo that takes the intensity to a whole other level.

I think the '72 & '73 versions are mostly good too, although '75 was definitely not a good year for it.  There are a few versions from that year that are ok.  I don't skip the bad ones though...

6 hours ago, Cashmere said:

The Ocean is an absolute powerhouse live, but I usually skip that doo-wop bit at the end. It's a bit lame.

Really?  I love that part!  My band has been closing with "The Ocean" for about a year now, and the crowd loves that part.  Such a happy way to close things out. 

20 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

only one,  Black Dog. Love the album version hate the live.

curious as what you don't like about it. I prefer the guitar tone on the main riff live.  both versions superb

7 hours ago, Cashmere said:

The Ocean is an absolute powerhouse live, but I usually skip that doo-wop bit at the end. It's a bit lame.

I think it is one of those little things that make Zep  so great.  It is fun and upbeat, and it fits really well.

I skip "The Ocean".  Never liked it.  Glad Jimmy didn't included it on the original TSRTS live album. 

Edited by Paulus

4 hours ago, John M said:

curious as what you don't like about it. I prefer the guitar tone on the main riff live.  both versions superb

I just don't like the solo. Its the only one I dislike. The rest of the song is fine.

On 2/19/2018 at 10:42 AM, Bonzo_fan said:

Really?  I love that part!  My band has been closing with "The Ocean" for about a year now, and the crowd loves that part.  Such a happy way to close things out. 

The question is what lyrics do you guys use lol. I’ve racked brain to get the real lyrics in that song It’s a great song I play it as well

12 hours ago, Roberto said:

The question is what lyrics do you guys use lol. I’ve racked brain to get the real lyrics in that song It’s a great song I play it as well

So far, we haven't had any vocals in that section because we've had a couple vocalist changes over the past year, but I think now that we have that settled, I'll try to get the singer we have now to do something there.

On 2/19/2018 at 3:19 PM, hummingbird69 said:

I just don't like the solo. Its the only one I dislike. The rest of the song is fine.

BTW I would have preferred to hear Out On The Tiles over Black Dog any day.