R.I.P David Bowie

Reggie29

When I saw the title of this topic, I honestly thought that I was hallucinating! :wacko: 

Oh my goodness! We seem to be losing so many of the great ones! :( 

I first had the pleasure of discovering who David Bowie was, thanks to discovering Queen way back in 1990 (as a three year old kid) and listening to 'Under Pressure' for the first time:

I'm not going to lie...at first I thought this was a hoax. Someone was pulling a fast one. David Bowie dead? Just mere days after releasing yet another album that wasn't just some cash-grab or clinging to the vine of nostalgia (Rolling Stones cough-cough)? Naw, this couldn't be true.

Sadly, it appears to be so...David Jones of Brixton has shuffled off this mortal coil. Unlike many others of his era, Bowie was never a has-been. R.I.P.

Time takes a cigarette...

I was not a big fan either but it is always a sad day when names of rock and roll that you grew up with dies. It's funny because as Strider points out he has just released another album and the weekends papers ( The Guardian and The Sunday Times) over here, have both got articles relating to books about DB. The ST article does say he spends his time in the US with Iman and his family recovering from cancer. 

Though not really a (Bo-ee not Bough-ee) fan here either, I have tried to get into his music, much of which does verge on brilliance, it's just that his ever changing style did nothing for me, (a little too camp at times) distracted from the music even.

This was sad news to wake up to this morn.  Bowie was on the periphery of my musical taste, I do have a  few unplayed  "Bo-eee"   CD's  just because I feel he deserved a little bit of space on my shelves, maybe now I'll finally take the shrink wrap of the "Hunky Dory" I bought a couple of years or so ago. R.I.P David Bowie.

Me either.  Don't know what to say.  He was such a huge influence on so many levels of the arts and fashion.  He was without a doubt an icon for decades.  Sad that cancer took another one from us.  Hope you are resting well now in the stars where you belong, David.  So sad, so very sad.

:( 

RIP David Bowie

Rest In Peace  to one of the all time great musical personalities and artists of our lifetime, among my favorites for the past 40 years,  the great David Bowie. 

And I feel the moderators should decide if a topic helps or hurts the forum.

1 hour ago, the chase said:

Rest In Peace  to one of the all time great musical personalities and artists of our lifetime, among my favorites for the past 40 years,  the great David Bowie. 

Agree 100%

And I feel the moderators should decide if a topic helps or hurts the forum.

Agree 100%

I was quite surprised about this when hearing this this morning.  Strangely, just coming a couple of days after his 69th birthday and the release of "Blackstar" on the same day.  He was such an amazing influence on music and was always changing and evolving with it.  He and his music were never predictable.

Here's my favorite David Bowie song and one of my faves ever by anyone.

This song when it was covered by The Wallflowers back in 1998, may be one of the worst covers ever.  They destroyed a great song!

This is just crushing news. I had no idea he was ill. I've been playing his new album all weekend, it's even better than The Next Day, and I thought that one should have won the album of the year. Big fat string parts, crazy, dissonant horn sections, just brilliant stuff. And that voice, sounding better than ever.  Loved his whole thing, chasing his muse without regard to trends or charts. A real artist. RIP

"Time takes a cigarette..."   You and I are on the same page there Strider. 

Arguably the most prolific rock star of my teens.  Never had the privilege of seeing him, but always enjoyed his talent and willingness to take a chance.  He lost me during the Berlin years, but that was more my mistake than his.  Tin Machine was awesome.  As a fan, I'm very pleased that he felt the need to make a final statement with his new album, knowing his time was limited.  I feel the urge to hear TVC15 about 20 times in a row.  R.I.P. David 

On a weird note, I never realized that Bowie had dichromatic eyes like pitcher Max Scherzer.  (or whatever the correct medical term is)   

Archived