BONHAM WARNS LED ZEP FANS NOT TO BE 'GREEDY'

robertkincaid96

He has a point. We shouldn't be demanding about it, but I for one have a really hard time not being so haha.

It's kinda hard for those of us who weren't alive when they were still touring, too, because we've really never had any chance to see 'em. We'd also like to hold onto the hope that amongst all the crappy current music that we have to deal with today, one of the classics might come out and let us witness their greatness.

This is not saying anything you guys haven't heard haha, so I'm just gonna say that I really hope they do enough shows that a few more people get the chance to see them. If not, though, whatever. They probably have very good reasons. I wouldn't get upset with them, and I would never bash Robert Plant. Blasphemers, the lot of you. :P

I hear you! Sadly, I fall in the middle ground. I actually had deposits on tix for the '81 show in LA. Then we got the news. There'd be no tour. Then we lost Lennon. God 1980 sucked! I was just 14, but the losses weren't wasted on me or my friends. I see so many 14 year olds here, and I'm amazed how so many relate so well to what happened when their parents were copping their first feels in the back seats of Firebirds! Some things have impact that transcends the generations. John Bonham's death counts as one. The kids of the 80's and 90's didn't seem to get that (or didn't think it was cool to say so). It's refreshing to see young people revering the greats. Bless you guys. It truly is something, isn't it?!!

Yeah, good luck on that one Jason. You'd have better luck trying to get rain to fall upwards, rather than down.

And quit with all this "they need to come to the US because we made them" crap. There are countries the band has NEVER toured in, that perhaps deserve a shot to host a show. The US didn't make Led Zeppelin, the fans did.

I know it is an emotional thing for him. But he cant expect life long die hard Zepp fans like myself to not want them to play again. Especially us in the US who made them and felt left out that the reunion was in England instead of here. At least do NY andn LA! And if his father is looking down he would agree witih me-I know it!

:rolleyes: What a small world you live in.

I know it is an emotional thing for him. But he cant expect life long die hard Zepp fans like myself to not want them to play again. Especially us in the US who made them and felt left out that the reunion was in England instead of here. At least do NY andn LA! And if his father is looking down he would agree witih me-I know it!

:rolleyes: The USA has had all the public reunions thus far. And the band are British!

icantquityoubabe, don't bother. You'll find it's like trying to teach a mule to tell time.

I've never seen more revisionist Led Zeppelin history than since the 02 was announced.

I guess many people think it's a bit thick to claim that anyone or thing 'made' Zeppelin apart from the musicians themselves, and the actual combination of British blues, English folk, plus Celtic and Eastern influences is more UK than US (though one wouldn't want to discount the 50s rock and California psychedelia either). Certainly the band 'made it' while touring America--I'm not sure that one could really dispute that, but whether this had to do with the actual location of the first few big tours might be more up for grabs.

But Steve, you don't really live in Kensington, do you? I shall be pea-green with envy if you do. When my novel becomes a huge success, I shall move the whole family to a lovely maisonette somewhere near Church St. j/k :D ............NOT! B)

But Steve, you don't really live in Kensington, do you? I shall be pea-green with envy if you do. When my novel becomes a huge success, I shall move the whole family to a lovely maisonette somewhere near Church St. j/k :D ............NOT! B)

I'm compelled to remain elusive on my exact location. Having said that, you'll find

Kensington to be all that you imagine it to be, although I'm sure you passed thru

recently for a look around. I believe you and your family will be ideal neighbors and

a welcome addition to any community, be it Kensington or elsewhere.

I'm compelled to remain elusive on my exact location. Having said that, you'll find

Kensington to be all that you imagine it to be, although I'm sure you passed thru

recently for a look around. I believe you and your family will be ideal neighbors and

a welcome addition to any community, be it Kensington or elsewhere.

We stay in Kensington whenever we're in town (just spent eight days there before and after the O2 show), so I know and love it very well. Cheers for the welcoming words ^_^

my wife and I were very lucky to see the zep concert in 02 arena, having been selected for tickets in my wifes name, 5days before the show.[wow] they say what goes around, comes around. 28 years ago, my good wife who was then my girlfriend, was approached by two french guys looking for tickets to buy, as we were in the information tent at the time, they seemed to be asking everybody the same thing offering 100 quid for a pair which bearing in mind the tickets were £17.50 at the time. we had 2 spare tickets because we were on civil aid [you try anything to get tickets dont you] and my wife gave these boys the two tickets for nothing and just said enjoy the show, they were extatic to say the least so there is some justice in the world today dont you think ROCK ON.

Yes the US DID make them! What in the hell are you talking about? Just look at the record sales. What were the rest of the world buying back then in the day? We were growing up buying Zepp records while the Brits were buying other things. And now they are resentfull to people like me pointing it out like the guy a post or two down. Ill tell him what a small world I live in-the one that Zeppelin was made by and accepted by from day one!

;)

There's another problem with the numbers. I went to the O2 show and all it did is make me want to see them again and again and again. How ever many shows they play, they won't ever even begin to reduce the backlog of people that want to see them!

So, er, better get started soon lads. :unsure:

The only fair thing would be to start with the original ballot list and strike through EVERYONE who got tickets to the 02 gig. Start picking out names of people who didn't get chosen before.

Yeah, well Im of English blood but an American. So what does that mean? Nothing. The United States embraced them while the Brits were buying that punk garbage or whatever else back then. I am not putting down England at all, Im just saying that I hope they remember us. That we did in fact embrace them and buy their records and our troups even blasted Whole Lotta Love on their tanks as they rode into battle against Viet Nam! So it is unfair of the UK to claim them as "theirs" so to speak. Iim sure they have a place in theiir hearts for America. After all he does mention San Fran and Chicago and ther is "Going to California"!!

Sorry, but they are ALL English mate.

of course they are "ours"

Really I think it would be great if Zep did a round of shows in America but not before the English, British & mainland European audiences get a better chance.

So many of those O2 tickets were sold to American fans it that it might as well have been over there

anyway.

Yeah, well Im of English blood but an American. So what does that mean? Nothing. The United States embraced them while the Brits were buying that punk garbage or whatever else back then. I am not putting down England at all, Im just saying that I hope they remember us. That we did in fact embrace them and buy their records and our troups even blasted Whole Lotta Love on their tanks as they rode into battle against Viet Nam! So it is unfair of the UK to claim them as "theirs" so to speak. Iim sure they have a place in theiir hearts for America. After all he does mention San Fran and Chicago and ther is "Going to California"!!

:rolleyes:

The guys are Englishmen from England who have lived in England nearly all of their lives--bit of a difference from you. Punk didn't get going until the mid-seventies, incidentally--well into the era of Zep's success. And what soldiers play in battle is hardly evidence of a band's national identity. No-one is saying that America isn't an important part of the band's success, for goodness' sake. If you have something useful to say, great, but this knee-jerk rubbish is just that.

This is sort of the same stuff I read in other posts. All the news lately is just exciting and entertaining to read and try and keep up with.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JASON BONHAM - BONHAM WARNS LED ZEP FANS NOT TO BE 'GREEDY'

Drummer JASON BONHAM is urging LED ZEPPELIN fans not to be "greedy" as the internet heats up with reunion tour stories. The veteran rockers have so far refused to confirm rumours of a 2008 world tour, following their triumphant live return at a benefit concert in London earlier this month (Dec07), and Bonham is tiring of all the speculation. Bonham, the son of Led Zeppelin's original drummer, John, who died in 1980, insists fans should be lucky the group reunited at all. He says, "I'm still the new guy and I wouldn't know (if they're planning a tour). Is it gonna be (happening) again? Don't be greedy... "If they do it again, of course I would love to (join them). But that's up to them. Only time will tell." And Bonham admits he is still trying to come to terms with the overwhelming experience of the 10 December concert: "It kinda feels surreal, like it never really happened in some way... (I was) amazed I pulled it off."

Link

Just dishing out a dose of the rubbish that was thrown my way. Just saying that some of these English/Brits have made it sound that they have some special right to them as they are from England. Like they are more deserving to have them play there than we are to have them here. And it is a fact that some have hinted this in their posts. So for you to say it is a knee jerk reaction is not correct. I thought the matter through. If they play together again I am quite sure that NY and California (your home state) will be high on their priority list.

What you say here is far more sensible than your last and makes your point far better. I was lucky enough to go the O2 show and would be thrilled if I got another opportunity to see the band in the UK, but it would indeed be nice for those who are not as pond-hopping happy as me if the guys did decide to play some dates in the US (and other countries as well of course).

After the first full -led zeppelin show in since 1980, i would say its been nothing but patience. Ofcourse for the fans....but -jimmy page has been wanting to play -led zep songs. In that interview that was posted, -jimmy says that he wouldnt be able to do a 3hr show these days. If anything, it looks like they would do a scaled down tour of 2hr shows, in 09 or whenever.

hey, I'm pissed because I never got a chance to see the Beatles. I think Paul and Ringo are being greedy assholes myself. who gives a shit if two members are dead? they can find two more people who play just as well. I want to see the Beatles, and I'm going to have a hissy fit until I get to see them! I want a tour! tour! tour! tour! tour!

quit being whiny babies. are we going to have to put Page, Plant and Jones on super life-support so they can play for the whining fans who will be born in 2100? you know, they'll never have a chance to see Zeppelin. I think it would be rude and greedy for the three of them to ever die, after all every day a new potential Zep fan is born who has never seen them live. how rude not to think of them.

Of course Fans are Greedy. Just do the Math! 20 Million People tried to get tickets. That means that one in a thousand got a ticket. I'm sure that if they had decided to have it at MSG another 20 million from this side of the pond would have tried to go. That is 40 million people that want to see Led Zeppelin in concert. If they went on tour playing a 50,000 seat stadiums in Europe they (based on the numbers) would need to play 400 shows to play for 20 million. And they would sell out all the tickets for all 400 shows the first week @ $125 = 2.5 B dollars. Add another 400 shows on this side of the pond and that's 5 Billion. Supply simply can't meet demand! No way are they going to perform 800 shows but just one show is just rude....when you considered how many Million fans are NOT lining up to see Plant and what's her name next year.

For every story on this board about someone making the 02 concert there are 999 people who missed out. The only good news is no news, but rather a pattern - a pattern of Led Zeppelin making decisions as a band for the first time since they broke up 27 years ago. Whether or not it has been admitted by the Band they are once again reunited as a business. They have a manager. They have a website. They have a myspace site. They have proved that they were the best....and still are the best. Is Led Zeppelin Hungry (Greedy) too? As long as the music lives up and with Jason I think they have finally found a person that can fit into the greatest band in the world.

Calling fans GREEDY was wrong.. NEEDy is more like it!!! *SMILING*

The boys need to understand the force of influence they have.

Their music spans genres and generations.

Across America, many youth bands are emulating Led Zeppelin.

They should go on tour, increase their influence, and save rock and roll from the dregs of hip-hop, rap, and watered-down pop.

It's their calling; no other band is capable of doing it.

The boys need to understand the force of influence they have.

Their music spans genres and generations.

Across America, many youth bands are emulating Led Zeppelin.

They should go on tour, increase their influence, and save rock and roll from the dregs of hip-hop, rap, and watered-down pop.

It's their calling; no other band is capable of doing it.

Agreed... Robert once said in the early 90s that if Zep were still together they would be no more than a nostalgia act playing oldies on the lounge lizard circuit. Unfortunately, Robert always underestimated the influence and stature of Zeppelin. They are and always will be the Godfathers of Rock, Metal, whatever you want to call it. The fact of the matter is that every hard rock band since the 70s has been directly or indirectly influenced by Zep.

Zeppelin resides on that same lofty plane as Evis or the Godfather of Soul, James Brown and as such have a special obligation to their fans. I read several reports that the band said they were shocked at the response for tickets and recent album sales..... I don't think any of us Zep fans were the least bit surprised. Am I right? To this day, I honestly don't think the boys truly realize their place in the annals of Rock and Roll.

You're correct again, TwoGenerations, in your observation about the state of rock music. Where is it? I can't speak for Europe, but I travel a lot in the US and can tell you that there are killer rock bands here in Vegas, in LA, San Fran, Seattle, Austin, Miami, and all the way up the coast to the New England states. The problem is that the promoters and record companies just won't sign them. What better way to come full circle than with a Zep reunion. You think the promoters won't say, "wow, we better sign some of these other rock acts" after they see sold out stadiums from coast to coast and the hunger out there for rock-n-roll? I really believe that Zeppelin is probably the only band out there that could actually spark a full blown resurgence of rock and roll.

In conclusion, all I can say is that I tried to get tickets for every single tour from the big Tampa show in 73 to the last tour. I was always a day late and a dollar short as were the vast majority of my friends. Darnit, I want a another shot at a ticket. In addition, Jimmy said that he had several songs in the works that would be perfect for a new zep album. After almost 30 years of the boys doing their own thing maybe they could pay us back for all those album sales through the years with one more album and a 12 month world tour. After that, I would finally feel fulfilled --- well..... maybe......

Archived