Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
nick2632

Most Desired Concert To Hear, Which NO Recording Exists?

Recommended Posts

On 5/5/2020 at 1:06 PM, Bonzo_fan said:

Great thread to revive!  Anything from '68 would certainly be great.  I'll try to pick one from each year.

1968: Any

1969: April 29 or 30 - Los Angeles -- Based off of the roll they were on the preceding few days in San Francisco, these were probably phenomenal.

1970: March 31 - Philadelphia -- Falls on my birthday and during a great stretch of shows.

1971: August 19 - Vancouver -- First nights of a tour are always interesting, and they always played well in the Pacific Northwest.  Plus it would be the second-last show before the start of Plant's decline.

1972: June 23 - Denver -- Accounts on the official timeline suggest a setlist similar to Seattle and L.A.

1973: May 4 - Atlanta OR May 10 - Tuscaloosa -- Would be really cool to hear the first night of the tour, debut of "No Quarter," but I suspect Tuscaloosa may have been the better show, given the differences between Mobile and Tampa.

1975: January 18 - Bloomington -- The tease of the SBD that surfaced in February makes this even more tantalizing, as it confirms Plant hadn't caught the flu yet -- have to hear "When The Levee Breaks" in SBD quality with a strong Plant!  February 27 in Houston would also be really cool for the debut of the grand piano in "No Quarter."

1977: May 19 - Baton Rouge OR May 31 - Greensboro -- by all accounts, both were excellent.  They always played well in the Deep South, so Baton Rouge would be cool, but I might have to give the edge to Bonzo's Birthday Vol. II, especially since some accounts on the timeline suggest "Black Dog" was played as the final encore.

1979: N/A

1980: N/A

Why do you think Plant's decline started in August 1971 or did you mean after the June 1972 Denver show?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rich Holt said:

Why do you think Plant's decline started in August 1971 or did you mean after the June 1972 Denver show?

No, I meant August '71.  To my ears, his decline started after the 8/21/71 show in L.A.  It was gradual, for sure, but I feel that was the last show where he could hit any high note he wanted with power and conviction.  Sure, he rebounds in the States in June '72, but the high notes sound a bit hollow to me.  I'm a drummer, not a singer, so I'm not sure if that's the best way to put it, but they just sound kind of breathy, whereas at his peak he hit the highs with his full chest voice.  Compare 5/3/71 Copenhagen or 8/21/71 L.A. or 9/19/70 N.Y. (Evening) -- especially the beginning of "Heartbreaker" -- with anything from '72 and the difference is substantial IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuscaloosa, AL in 1973. I went to school there. Would love to hear that show and the very first jam at Gerrard Street.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

No, I meant August '71.  To my ears, his decline started after the 8/21/71 show in L.A.  It was gradual, for sure, but I feel that was the last show where he could hit any high note he wanted with power and conviction.  Sure, he rebounds in the States in June '72, but the high notes sound a bit hollow to me.  I'm a drummer, not a singer, so I'm not sure if that's the best way to put it, but they just sound kind of breathy, whereas at his peak he hit the highs with his full chest voice.  Compare 5/3/71 Copenhagen or 8/21/71 L.A. or 9/19/70 N.Y. (Evening) -- especially the beginning of "Heartbreaker" -- with anything from '72 and the difference is substantial IMO.

After that show in LA 1971-08-21, he was probably celebrating his birthday at the riot house driving a motorcycle off the top floor balcony into the swimming pool, and probably took a massive hit off Jonsey's new 6' tall bong that left him coughing for 45 minutes ultimately messing his vocals up.

Afterall, the band certainly seemed like they did not get any sleep the next night at the Forum. Still played a killer show because it was 1971.

Edited by nick2632

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to hear Chicago or New Orleans '71. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked the set list for the Aug.19, 1971 show in Vancouver and I'm sure they don't have it right.  My recollection is that they sang Gallows Pole and SETLISTFM doesn't even mention that. Also no mention of Rock & Roll but they sang that on the encore.  

Edited by spindle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, spindle said:

I checked the set list for the Aug.19, 1971 show in Vancouver and I'm sure they don't have it right.  My recollection is that they sang Gallows Pole and SETLISTFM doesn't even mention that. Also no mention of Rock & Roll but they sang that on the encore.  

I've seen a few mentions of Gallows Pole, but not Rock and Roll. Would you recall Friends and/or Tangerine being performed? These are rumored rarities but have yet to be confirmed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just uploaded a snippet of 'Rock and  Roll' from the encore.  (above in 1st post).  No recollection of Friends or Tangerine being played.  I missed the first two songs of the set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My set list (missing first 2 songs, I think) in order- Stairway To Heaven- Going To California- That's The Way- Since I've Been Loving You- Black Dog- Dazed & Confused (w/Page using violin bow)- Communication Breakdown- What Is And What Should Never Be- Celebration Day- Gallows Pole- Whole Lotta Love (extended version w/Boogie Chillen' by John Lee Hooker, That's Alright, Mess Of Blues, Honey Bee by Muddy Waters, & Sittin' and Thinkin') (almost 20mins.) then the encore with one song I don't know, then Rock & Roll to close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, spindle said:

I just uploaded a snippet of 'Rock and  Roll' from the encore.  (above in 1st post).  No recollection of Friends or Tangerine being played.  I missed the first two songs of the set.

That’s awesome.  You’re cooler than anything!!  You are going to make the world a better place with your recording!!

We need more people like you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, spindle said:

I just uploaded a snippet of 'Rock and  Roll' from the encore.  (above in 1st post).  No recollection of Friends or Tangerine being played.  I missed the first two songs of the set.

😃 😃😃  Please release the rest of your tape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Rock and Roll snippet sounds great and if this is the genuine article this is big big news! Really fantastic to hear. If / when Spindle shares this openly I for one will happily share with him any hard to find but still circulating Zepp / Page and Plant or even Janis Joplin shows. Look forward to this one immensely.

Edited by SilverVishnu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all for your kind words- I've got some work to do to organize the tapes. They've been in storage for almost 50 yrs. I'm slow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, spindle said:

Thanks all for your kind words- I've got some work to do to organize the tapes. They've been in storage for almost 50 yrs. I'm slow!

The community is forever grateful for whatever you can provide! Thank you for sharing this with us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2020 at 7:24 PM, ledzepfilm said:

The community is forever grateful for whatever you can provide! Thank you for sharing this with us. 

^ That's a fact!!!

On 11/17/2020 at 7:14 PM, spindle said:

Thanks all for your kind words- I've got some work to do to organize the tapes. They've been in storage for almost 50 yrs. I'm slow!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2020 at 10:56 PM, spindle said:

My set list (missing first 2 songs, I think) in order- Stairway To Heaven- Going To California- That's The Way- Since I've Been Loving You- Black Dog- Dazed & Confused (w/Page using violin bow)- Communication Breakdown- What Is And What Should Never Be- Celebration Day- Gallows Pole- Whole Lotta Love (extended version w/Boogie Chillen' by John Lee Hooker, That's Alright, Mess Of Blues, Honey Bee by Muddy Waters, & Sittin' and Thinkin') (almost 20mins.) then the encore with one song I don't know, then Rock & Roll to close.

This is really cool, These are the concerts I've always wanted to hear the most from the first half of 1971 the one's where Robert's at peak voice still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Houston 1975 first date in the 2nd leg and I think the band is on fire. Report from witness is 3.30 hour show and absolutely jhb warm. Cmon empress.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...