Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
nick2632

Most Desired Concert To Hear, Which NO Recording Exists?

On 5/5/2020 at 1:06 PM, Bonzo_fan said:

Great thread to revive!  Anything from '68 would certainly be great.  I'll try to pick one from each year.

1968: Any

1969: April 29 or 30 - Los Angeles -- Based off of the roll they were on the preceding few days in San Francisco, these were probably phenomenal.

1970: March 31 - Philadelphia -- Falls on my birthday and during a great stretch of shows.

1971: August 19 - Vancouver -- First nights of a tour are always interesting, and they always played well in the Pacific Northwest.  Plus it would be the second-last show before the start of Plant's decline.

1972: June 23 - Denver -- Accounts on the official timeline suggest a setlist similar to Seattle and L.A.

1973: May 4 - Atlanta OR May 10 - Tuscaloosa -- Would be really cool to hear the first night of the tour, debut of "No Quarter," but I suspect Tuscaloosa may have been the better show, given the differences between Mobile and Tampa.

1975: January 18 - Bloomington -- The tease of the SBD that surfaced in February makes this even more tantalizing, as it confirms Plant hadn't caught the flu yet -- have to hear "When The Levee Breaks" in SBD quality with a strong Plant!  February 27 in Houston would also be really cool for the debut of the grand piano in "No Quarter."

1977: May 19 - Baton Rouge OR May 31 - Greensboro -- by all accounts, both were excellent.  They always played well in the Deep South, so Baton Rouge would be cool, but I might have to give the edge to Bonzo's Birthday Vol. II, especially since some accounts on the timeline suggest "Black Dog" was played as the final encore.

1979: N/A

1980: N/A

Why do you think Plant's decline started in August 1971 or did you mean after the June 1972 Denver show?

2 minutes ago, Rich Holt said:

Why do you think Plant's decline started in August 1971 or did you mean after the June 1972 Denver show?

No, I meant August '71.  To my ears, his decline started after the 8/21/71 show in L.A.  It was gradual, for sure, but I feel that was the last show where he could hit any high note he wanted with power and conviction.  Sure, he rebounds in the States in June '72, but the high notes sound a bit hollow to me.  I'm a drummer, not a singer, so I'm not sure if that's the best way to put it, but they just sound kind of breathy, whereas at his peak he hit the highs with his full chest voice.  Compare 5/3/71 Copenhagen or 8/21/71 L.A. or 9/19/70 N.Y. (Evening) -- especially the beginning of "Heartbreaker" -- with anything from '72 and the difference is substantial IMO.

Tuscaloosa, AL in 1973. I went to school there. Would love to hear that show and the very first jam at Gerrard Street.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

No, I meant August '71.  To my ears, his decline started after the 8/21/71 show in L.A.  It was gradual, for sure, but I feel that was the last show where he could hit any high note he wanted with power and conviction.  Sure, he rebounds in the States in June '72, but the high notes sound a bit hollow to me.  I'm a drummer, not a singer, so I'm not sure if that's the best way to put it, but they just sound kind of breathy, whereas at his peak he hit the highs with his full chest voice.  Compare 5/3/71 Copenhagen or 8/21/71 L.A. or 9/19/70 N.Y. (Evening) -- especially the beginning of "Heartbreaker" -- with anything from '72 and the difference is substantial IMO.

After that show in LA 1971-08-21, he was probably celebrating his birthday at the riot house driving a motorcycle off the top floor balcony into the swimming pool, and probably took a massive hit off Jonsey's new 6' tall bong that left him coughing for 45 minutes ultimately messing his vocals up.

Afterall, the band certainly seemed like they did not get any sleep the next night at the Forum. Still played a killer show because it was 1971.

Edited by nick2632

I would love to hear Chicago or New Orleans '71.