Rank the Zeppelin albums - favorite to least favorite.

Jukkin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

hmm, a hard one 🤨   5,6,7 are all a tie, I don't like 2 or 4 because they are overplayed and the other songs on the other albums are better

1. Physical Graffiti

2. Led Zeppelin 1

3. Houses of the Holy

4. Prescence

5. Led Zeppelin 2

= Led Zeppelin 3

= Led Zeppelin 4

8.In through the out door

Physical Graffiti

IV

II

Led Zeppelin

Presence

III

Houses of the Holy

In Through The Out Door

Strangely, looking at it and thinking that I play Presence and Physical Graffiti more than than any other.

I really think Presence is a great fucking record but if I had to take one album to a desert island then it's Physical Graffiti, hands down. I think it's probably the best record of all time.

Edited by morningson

Updated..                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       HOTH

LZ II

LZ I

LZ III

The Fourth Album

PG

Presence

Coda

ITTOD.

Edited by JTM

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:15 PM, morningson said:

I really think Presence is a great fucking record but if I had to take one album to a desert island then it's Physical Graffiti, hands down. I think it's probably the best record of all time.

Definitely, but if I could take two, I would probably add the Dark Side of the Moon, that album is just so well made. Also I would have to take a record player and the vinyl version of those albums as they are infinitely better than the CDs

Physical Graffiti would have to be the album of choice for the desert island scenario. It just has so much to offer and I reckon it has ZERO filler. Every track not only offers something, every track is at least great - going all the way to Best of Zep/one of the greatest tracks ever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I think I answered this question before, but before I could possibly run across my old response, I ranked them all again today, just to see how my opinion might have changed.

I'll share my geeky method. I ranked each song by an idea, rather than just by number. Yes, I overthought this AND played a psychological trick on myself (successfully) at the same time. Here are my ranking labels.

All Time Great (in my book)
Excellent
Very Good
Good
Fair
It's Okay (I guess)
Don't Like It

I thought about how I felt about each song and labeled it. Then I want back and numbered those labels 1-7 (7 being all time great). I put the correct number next to each song based on the label and calculated the average for each album and then put them in the following order:

Led Zeppelin I
Led Zeppelin IV
HOTH
Led Zeppelin II
PG
ITTOD
Led Zeppelin III
Presence
CODA

For those interested in what my album averages were, remember the highest rank is 7, not 10.

Led Zeppelin I 5.8
Led Zeppelin IV 5.8
HOTH 5.6
Led Zeppelin II 5.3
PG 5.3
ITTOD 5.1
Led Zeppelin III 4.9
Presence 4.7
CODA 3.3

There were no ties. I rounded up but actually, but the tie breakers were in the hundredths column.

• 1 month later...

PG

IV

HOTH

Pr

ITTOD

It seems by general concensus of opinion that ITTOD is most peoples least favourite album. I tend to agree. By most other bands standards its not a bad album. But by Zeps standards, for me it lacks their fire and inventiveness. By this time JP was in the grip of heroin addiction and, at risk of being shot down here, I think the album suffers for it. 

Who knows, however, what the next studio album might have sounded like? 

Sadly, we'll never know. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Physical Graffiti
  • LZ IV
  • Presence
  • In Through the Out Door / Houses of the Holy (tie)
  • LZ II
  • LZ I
  • LZ III

In Through the Out Door gets a bad rap, I think. It's not their best album, but I don't think it's their worst either. I put it tied with Houses of the Holy for solidly middle of the pack. I think LZ III is their weakest album, only because while I think they did acoustic stuff really well, a whole album of it? Ehh. The best song on the album, IMO, is Since I've Been Loving You, and it sounds far better live than it does on the album. That's not a knock necessarily, just that most if not all of their material shines far brighter in a live setting.

On 3/30/2019 at 1:39 PM, JTM said:

Updated.. (and corrected)

1. HOTH.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

2. LZ II.

3. LZ I.

4. LZ III.

5. The Fourth Album.

6. PG.

7. Presence.

8. Coda.

and lastly ITTOD.

Edited by JTM

• 1 month later...