Jump to content

"Down by the Seaside" question


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Hermit On The Hill said:

In "Down by the Seaside," the keyboard used sounds very much like the one in Queen's "You're My Best Friend." Any thoughts or reflections?

Yup. It's a Fender Rhodes electric piano in both cases.

Edited by woz70
Clarity
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, woz70 said:

Yup. It's a Fender Rhodes electric piano in both cases.

Nope! It's a Wurlitzer on You're my best friend and I'm pretty sure it's a hohner Electra piano on down by the seaside. Same keyboard as on stairway and misty mountain hop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, babysquid said:

Nope! It's a Wurlitzer on You're my best friend and I'm pretty sure it's a hohner Electra piano on down by the seaside. Same keyboard as on stairway and misty mountain hop.

Ha!  Out-nerded :D
I still reckon it's a Rhodes on 'Seaside' though.  It's got a more bell-like quality than you generally get from the Hohner.
Both electric pianos though, which is more to the point.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, woz70 said:

Ha!  Out-nerded :D
I still reckon it's a Rhodes on 'Seaside' though.  It's got a more bell-like quality than you generally get from the Hohner.
Both electric pianos though, which is more to the point.....

 Out nerded! isn't it sad when it comes to that! Well here's some more geekery for you.

It was the Hohner Electra on DBTS. The Hohner was JPJ's preferred electric in the studio over a Rhodes or Wurlitzer due to it's stiffer action. It wasn't taken on the road due to its more fragile wooden case and size. 

 It should be remembered that this is the Electra-piano not the pianet. Iike the Rhodes it uses a hammer action and like a wurly it uses a struck reed system. The resulting sound falls somewhere between the two. 

It was also the piano, fed through an EMS synthi, used on No Quarter

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, woz70 said:

Ha!  Out-nerded :D
I still reckon it's a Rhodes on 'Seaside' though.  It's got a more bell-like quality than you generally get from the Hohner.
Both electric pianos though, which is more to the point.....

As you say though. Both electric pianos

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...