Vinyl

2 hours ago, ColoradoZephead said:

The entire backstage scene with Grant from Song Remains The Same is played out.

In fact they appear to have based their "Grant" character solely on this scene. All he does is shout, swear and smash things in both his scenes.

Although it,s exciting to see Zeppelin represented in a mainstream tv programme

it wasn't well done , Peter grant as a 2D character ,  Plant with a cockney accent  to rival Dick Van Dyke 

and the band kicking off the fictional concert with Something else by Eddie Cochran ?? did they think that the phrase 

"Listen to this Eddie! was somehow connected??   Poor 

Like I said in the other thread, I was surprised to see Zeppelin being such a big part of this premier. The actor who played Grant was a near soundalike, however he needed to be at least a foot or two taller and a couple hundred pounds heavier. When he's in the American Century offices, he's literally the smallest guy in the room. Plant looked the part well enough, but the actor clearly hadn't bothered to even watch three minutes of Plant talking and played him as a generic Brit rocker, provided his knowledge of Brit rockers came from watching Spinal Tap. And I can't see Plant ever even engaging in that conversation in the first place.

I did think it was amusing that they had the band playing "Something Else" being that it's a song Zeppelin covered that the show could actually use. Not that they ever kicked off a concert with it, but it seemed a little like an inside joke or something.

Overall though, I thought the show itself was pretty weak. For one thing, I just can't accept Ray Romano in a dramatic role. Plus the fact that the main character looked and sounded a bit like Brad Garrett, it's like watching some crazy Everybody Loves Raymond drug flashback episode.

the one guy kinda looks like bonzo, the guy playing peter grant is too small but he does have the sounds and the look but the dude who is supposed to be percy is horrible. bad accent, voice is way too deep, goofy movements and just overall douchey persona.... they would have been better off getting a female to play him.

2 hours ago, sk8rat said:

the one guy kinda looks like bonzo, the guy playing peter grant is too small but he does have the sounds and the look but the dude who is supposed to be percy is horrible. bad accent, voice is way too deep, goofy movements and just overall douchey persona.... they would have been better off getting a female to play him.

Everything I've read from anyone who had any contact with the band was that Plant was the nice one. But you're right, in the show he came off like a total douche. Obviously I don't know the guy, but I just can't see him bitching at some record company stooge about f-ing the band out of money. He'd be off chasing butterflies or something.

21 hours ago, andrew r said:

Although it,s exciting to see Zeppelin represented in a mainstream tv programme

it wasn't well done , Peter grant as a 2D character ,  Plant with a cockney accent  to rival Dick Van Dyke 

and the band kicking off the fictional concert with Something else by Eddie Cochran ?? did they think that the phrase 

"Listen to this Eddie! was somehow connected??   Poor 

Artistic freedom they say - remember it's meant to be fiction and fun not a docu

19 hours ago, Reggie29 said:

Anyone seen this?

It debuted 14 Feb on HBO and produced by Mick Jagger and Martin Scorcese.

Led Zeppelin are featured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdAwCLkpgUc&feature=share

Wow, that was BAD. They made Plant look like a complete twat, Bonham like some stupid toddler meandering around, and Grant was just silly. The whole thing came off as some sort of characture. Then, to add insult to injury, they have the band play songs they never played during the 73' tour.

BTW, is there any actual fact that the label tried to screw Zeppelin on royalties? I never heard of this and I seriously doubt Steve Weiss would have allowed a label to screw over Zeppelin. To my knowledge Zeppelin & Atlantic had a good relationship and Atlantic never tried to screw with royalties or anything else. I know this is fictionalized but when you combine fact with fiction it is difficult to separate the two.

I was thinking, the most likely reason the show used Somethin' Else & You Shook Me in the MSG footage was because neither are Zeppelin songs, they are both covers Zep did therefore they would not have to ask the bands permission, and, those version used were not the Zep versions anyway. I figure they knew the band would tell them to sod off once they saw the shitty representation and complete mockery and so they went with the covers. Pretty shrewd and pretty messed up but hey, that's showbiz right.

9 hours ago, IpMan said:

I was thinking, the most likely reason the show used Somethin' Else & You Shook Me in the MSG footage was because neither are Zeppelin songs, they are both covers Zep did therefore they would not have to ask the bands permission, and, those version used were not the Zep versions anyway. I figure they knew the band would tell them to sod off once they saw the shitty representation and complete mockery and so they went with the covers. Pretty shrewd and pretty messed up but hey, that's showbiz right.

Quite correct,  also consider this is a Jagger/Scorsese production,  the only people who will look good in this will be The Stones!                                                              That is assuming they appear ,i have a feeling that there is more half assed  presentation of Zep yet to come!

7 minutes ago, andrew r said:

Quite correct,  also consider this is a Jagger/Scorsese production,  the only people who will look good in this will be The Stones!                                                              That is assuming they appear ,i have a feeling that there is more half assed  presentation of Zep yet to come!

I doubt it, the three mins of faux Zep shown is all  there will be.

20 hours ago, IpMan said:

BTW, is there any actual fact that the label tried to screw Zeppelin on royalties? I never heard of this and I seriously doubt Steve Weiss would have allowed a label to screw over Zeppelin. To my knowledge Zeppelin & Atlantic had a good relationship and Atlantic never tried to screw with royalties or anything else. I know this is fictionalized but when you combine fact with fiction it is difficult to separate the two.

I think it was American Century records that were trying to screw their royalty rate and as they don't exist I'm pretty sure it didn't happen.

I think this show is going to be more about the move in musical direction, from the mid 70's on, from the mega bands of the 60's to punk, disco and the early rumblings of hip hop in the latter part of the decade. I'd imagine it will deal with a record industry in flux as it tries to come to terms with the sea change of musical tastes and fashion. And about how to get away with killing a fat Coke head.

4 hours ago, babysquid said:

I think it was American Century records that were trying to screw their royalty rate and as they don't exist I'm pretty sure it didn't happen.

I think this show is going to be more about the move in musical direction, from the mid 70's on, from the mega bands of the 60's to punk, disco and the early rumblings of hip hop in the latter part of the decade. I'd imagine it will deal with a record industry in flux as it tries to come to terms with the sea change of musical tastes and fashion. And about how to get away with killing a fat Coke head.

Poor Diceman, turn him into a fat parody of himself then kill him off after trying to come out to his buddy. Oh the humiliation! 

Of course if any member of the band would have been in that convo with a label exec I'd think it would be Page.  And it certainly would not have happened as they were getting onstage!  Having said that, it was good fun to include them in the show, even with a horrible Plant and a Peter Grant who looks like he was in a clothes dryer!

7 hours ago, mstork said:

a Peter Grant who looks like he was in a clothes dryer!

Too funny. What I noticed about this was he actually did have some of G's mannerisms down such as folding his arms in an odd way over his belly. However, when Grant did it it made sense due to his size and the exchange in real life, though heated, made sense and showed Grant as a protective, but not necessarily violent manager. When they had his mini-me doing this it just made him look like a pompous, boorish asshole.

It would be like a middle aged balding man playing with and flipping his hair like if he were a 20 something rocker with a thick mane. Just looks stupid.

That looked like the English actor, Ian Hart, playing Peter Grant. Hart did a great job playing John Lennon in two early 1990s films. This time he got the voice but not the body.

As for the clip of the TV show, hideous generic-looking stuff which looks great. Except for the wigs. Yikes.

23 minutes ago, badgeholder said:

I caught this last night. They need to make up their minds - is it 1973 or is it 1977? You can't have leisure suits and punk rockers in '73!

I believe they are photo-punk rockers since they keep bringing up the Stooges and Iggy Pop. Either way, the NY proto-punk scene did not even think about beginning until late 74' at CBGB's and no one knew, or gave a shit until late 75' early 76' when the Brits picked it up and ran with it. Though you are right, punk did not hit the scene on a public level until early 77'.

I believe Mick and Marty were a bit too "stoned" in the 70's to remember the dates right. The other thing I though was both funny and a bit telling was the character Buck Rogers played by the Diceman. That character was almost a verbatim copy of the drug lord in Boogie Night's that Mr. Big Dick and friends try to rip off. The whole show is feeling like recycled bits of Cadillac Records, Almost Famous, and Boogie Night's.

14 hours ago, badgeholder said:

I caught this last night. They need to make up their minds - is it 1973 or is it 1977? You can't have leisure suits and punk rockers in '73!

Don't forget the early 1960 parts. Also IIRC  The New York Dolls were around in 73, they were heavily featured (more than LZ).

Archived