Vinyl

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Reggie29 said:

Hypothetically, if he were still alive, Robert Morley could've played Peter Grant.

Some of you will get the connection, others maybe, not so much.

I figured, had he lived, James Gandolfini would have been the perfect actor for the part of Grant.

On 3/5/2016 at 6:44 PM, IpMan said:

I figured, had he lived, James Gandolfini would have been the perfect actor for the part of Grant.

as long as his accent was up to it! very surprised Mick and Martin weren't on the ball with this one! 

11 hours ago, henrybonzo said:

as long as his accent was up to it! very surprised Mick and Martin weren't on the ball with this one! 

Unless it was Mick's goal to make Zeppelin look like ridiculous twats.

1 hour ago, Balthazor said:

Unless it was Mick's goal to make Zeppelin look like ridiculous twats.

If that was his goal, well, SUCCESS!!! Plant & Grant came off as buffoons.

Jagger was never a big fan of Zep, which I think was all about Zep being bigger and making a lot more money than the Stones during the time of Zep.  I'm sure if he had any say in the Zep scenes, he would have favored painting them as generally unlikable.  

It is a shame that the general public's impression of Zep is that of oafs and hotel room wreckers.  Grant has the unfortunate legacy that he has based entirely on that awful scene in TSRTS.  Those of us who know better, know that Grant was actually a very jovial and agreeable man.  Yes, he got his way, but this was almost all due to knowing he had the upper hand and that the deal was always a take-it-or-leave-it kind.  From what I've read, the only time Grant got physical was when violence had already broken out, or if he saw a bootlegger ripping the band off.  Even then, the victim was usually the equipment.

Almost as bad as the Plant/Grant role-playing is the ridiculous over the top drug-acting. We get it. It's coke, but seriously? They act like they're snorting drano crystals or something with all that gasping,  flopping around, and breaking off rear view mirrors and shit.  Reminds me a little of the wall street wolf silly antics crawling across the parking lots to the Lamborghini.  Silly slapstick shit.

• 6 months later...

I did think it was amusing that they had the band playing "Something Else"

Yeah, even HBO likes to save money.

They would pay a higher fee to use songs that Zeppelin wrote.

That's why the have them playing "Something Else" and "You Shook Me" and they use obscure Slade songs etc.

Also,  the Plant and Peter Grant characters were pretty bad.  Wrong accent and too skinny respectively.

And whoever called Peter Grant  "G"?    That is more of a 90's hip hop thing.

4 hours ago, The Pagemeister said:

Yeah, even HBO likes to save money.

They would pay a higher fee to use songs that Zeppelin wrote.

That's why the have them playing "Something Else" and "You Shook Me" and they use obscure Slade songs etc.

Also,  the Plant and Peter Grant characters were pretty bad.  Wrong accent and too skinny respectively.

And whoever called Peter Grant  "G"?    That is more of a 90's hip hop thing.

Oh come on, it's  a fictional TV show loosely based on reality. It would have been a lot better if the Richie Finnesta ? character wasn't so over the top. 

5 hours ago, JTM said:

Oh come on, it's  a fictional TV show loosely based on reality. It would have been a lot better if the Richie Finnesta ? character wasn't so over the top. 

What a waste huh. The actor who plays Finnestra seems to be typecast in these roles. He played his character in Boardwalk Empire in a similar vein. Looks like when they are looking for an out of control crazy man who can reel it in from time to time they call this guy.

I think that the members of Zep, of course including Grant, and even "mild" JPJ, simply can't be duplicated. They are

mythological figures first of all, and even semi-conventional Bonzo(without the booze), rather complex figures. That's

why IMO anybody even thinking about using actors to play the band roles, just forget it. And I thought Grant and 

Plant overall on the show, again caricatures, it can't be done. Like a movie with mid 50's Elvis, much easier to do

the 70's Elvis where he had to some extent become a caricature of himself. Even that and avoiding campiness, not easy.

Well sure, they aren't Zeus or Poseidon, but Zep had become legendary practically mythological figures when they were

still together, something not maybe understood by those who weren't around then. Jimmy really was looked upon 

as a wizard, although of course musically first. Still not convinced any actors whatsoever could play members of

Zeppelin without the project looking ridiculous. A satire or comedy about the band , yes but Spinal Tab did part

of that already.

Archived