Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Xolo1974

How the West Was Really Done

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone. Hoping you can save me a bit of time. I have 'Burn Like a Candle'. There's a boot called How the West Was Really Done....and I think the Winston Remaster is How the West Was Redone. 

There are extra songs on the boots when compared to HTWWW (e.g Tangerine, Thank You). My qn is - in the boots for the extra songs, do they use the audience source from Burn Like a Candle, or are they from a soundboard? 

Reason I ask is that I struggle listening to audience sources, with the exception of the Mike Millard recordings. Or maybe in this case Winston has cleaned them up a little? 

Appreciate any help guys. 

Cheers

 

 

 

 

Edited by Xolo1974

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gosh I wish we had this entire unedited show and Long Beach '72 as well on the multi track tapes Jimmy used on How The West Was Won!! It's a real shame he can't leave Zeppelin's fantastic shows alone when releasing them, and leaving Louie Louie (Organ Solo) ~ Thank You off or at least Thank You as Louie Louie may have caused copy right issues when releasing the album, but that was a glorious performance of Thank You that deserved to be heard in that quality...

However, I'm not sure which copy of Burn Like A Candle you have as Empress Valley released it, then Tantura 2000 released a better sounding copy (to my ears) after. It's the audience recording you're aware of, but I would listen to it again with fresh ears as I think that's one of the better audience recordings!! It's certainly the best bootleg from 1972, though Sydney 2/27/1972 sounds great as well as some others from the year, but it still lacks bootlegs unfortunately. If you search this forum there's even a thread about how many fans actually prefer Burn Like A Candle to How The West Was Won despite the sound quality. BLAC is the full amazing show from LA '72 including Tangerine, the full medley in Whole Lotta Love, all the encores that made it a legendary concert, as well as a fantastic atmosphere that's captured quite well on the audience recording!! I have never heard of (until that recent thread about WR bootlegs here) or seen this Winston Remaster 'How The West Was Redone' or 'How The West Was Really Done', but I also would be extremely interested in hearing it as WR often makes the superior bootleg. We definitely don't have a bootleg recording of Burn Like A Candle on soundboard or anything besides the famous audience recording and possibly a noticeably better copy from Winston Remasters... 

Edited by nick2632

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winston's remaster called "How the West Was Redone" is exactly the same material as HTWWW, just "remixed." He took the separate tracks from the 5.1 surround sound DVD and just did a little remixing, turning down the master volume a few decibels to get rid of the terrible "brickwalling" that's going on in the official HTWWW CD. If you're looking for more material, How the West Was Redone is the exact same as HTWWW.

 

There's a transfer of the master tape from Long Beach circulating, definitely recommend that, it's the best sounding audience version IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took the redone version by Winston  (a very nice job by him)  and added in the missing bits, songs and Plant patter from the 6-25 audience recording that was  distributed on the old FBO list.  A very good aud tape if not Millard quality.  It worked well to make a "complete show".    Yes, 'How the West was Re-redone'. 

Edited by ledsox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lcondo123 said:

Winston's remaster called "How the West Was Redone" is exactly the same material as HTWWW, just "remixed." He took the separate tracks from the 5.1 surround sound DVD and just did a little remixing, turning down the master volume a few decibels to get rid of the terrible "brickwalling" that's going on in the official HTWWW CD. If you're looking for more material, How the West Was Redone is the exact same as HTWWW.

 

There's a transfer of the master tape from Long Beach circulating, definitely recommend that, it's the best sounding audience version IMO.

 

3 hours ago, ledsox said:

I took the redone version by Winston  (a very nice job by him)  and added in the missing bits, songs and Plant patter from the 6-25 audience recording that was  distributed on the old FBO list.  A very good aud tape if not Millard quality.  It worked well to make a "complete show".    Yes, 'How the West was Re-redone'. 

Agreed, 'Redone' is a must, as per usual with Winston. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, thanks so much for your input. Invaluable as ever on this site.

Completely off topic I know.....but my wife is away for the weekend with my 3 and 5 year old boys on a "no dads" camping trip (suits me fine thankyou). But I'm having a whale of a time watching zep stuff on youtube in the garden with my cocker spaniel.....I'm a "pom" in Australia and it's a beautiful day....oh, also.....I'm 41 and had my first guitar lesson today...my fingers are fucking killing me!

So what am I listening to now? Thank you from 01/04/71...is there a better version? If you can find one for me, it must be bloody good.  

Oh and I've had 7 beers.....if it isn't obvious

Does life get any better?

Have a great weekend and thanks again.

Neil

ps. i'll regret this post tomorrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xolo1974 said:

Guys, thanks so much for your input. Invaluable as ever on this site.

Completely off topic I know.....but my wife is away for the weekend with my 3 and 5 year old boys on a "no dads" camping trip (suits me fine thankyou). But I'm having a whale of a time watching zep stuff on youtube in the garden with my cocker spaniel.....I'm a "pom" in Australia and it's a beautiful day....oh, also.....I'm 41 and had my first guitar lesson today...my fingers are fucking killing me!

So what am I listening to now? Thank you from 01/04/71...is there a better version? If you can find one for me, it must be bloody good.  

Oh and I've had 7 beers.....if it isn't obvious

Does life get any better?

Have a great weekend and thanks again.

Neil

ps. i'll regret this post tomorrow

Not my favorite, but there are quite a handful of great undisputed renditions of Thank You.

Southampton 1973 with a majestic mellotron intro

Orlando 1971

MSG 1973

Montreux 1970

check them out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, duckman said:

Not my favorite, but there are quite a handful of great undisputed renditions of Thank You.

Southampton 1973 with a majestic mellotron intro

Orlando 1971

MSG 1973

Montreux 1970

check them out!

All outstanding choices (as well the official BBC release).  I'd also add the 9-29-71 version from Osaka.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just hold out hope my friend. The full shows most likely leaked around the time DVD and HTWWW were being done, and (what I believe to be Disc 2 of the Long Beach show) multitrack raw mix down exists, but its only 3-4 tracks IIRC. Sounds excellent. So its only a matter of time before someone slips it out/gives in. Pray that both are officially released in full before that happens though. Maybe a live download series. Lets keep our fingers crossed, blistering Led Zeppelin in their prime, 2 complete gigs from one of their best tours... Magic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

Just hold out hope my friend. The full shows most likely leaked around the time DVD and HTWWW were being done, and (what I believe to be Disc 2 of the Long Beach show) multitrack raw mix down exists, but its only 3-4 tracks IIRC. Sounds excellent. So its only a matter of time before someone slips it out/gives in. Pray that both are officially released in full before that happens though. Maybe a live download series. Lets keep our fingers crossed, blistering Led Zeppelin in their prime, 2 complete gigs from one of their best tours... Magic.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the Disc 2 you mentioned include Tangerine? I snagged a fragment off the net months ago and it included Tangerine and an 8 minute BYS medley. GTC too, if I'm not mistaken. I burned it but didnt save it.

Really stunning rendition of Tangerine from a tad fuzzy but well balanced AUD fragment.

I brought it to my shop to see if my friend could determine what night it was from, 22nd or 27th or something else entirely. 

He can't find it now. I have no reason not to believe him . The site I got it from was down for months and couldn't find it after that.

Ob La Di....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, duckman said:

Not my favorite, but there are quite a handful of great undisputed renditions of Thank You.

Southampton 1973 with a majestic mellotron intro

Orlando 1971

MSG 1973

Montreux 1970

check them out!

Duckman......thanks buddy.

Have just listened to Orlando 71. Holy Fuck! What a performance.....what a solo!!!!

I have the one I've been looking for! Beautiful version with a heavy and powerful back end.

Oh and by the way, thanks for the general pointer towards Orlando. It's decent sound quality....I'm downloading now.....i'll take my bike out for a spin later and listen to the whole gig. Excited.

Thanks again

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, duckman said:

Not my favorite, but there are quite a handful of great undisputed renditions of Thank You.

Southampton 1973 with a majestic mellotron intro

Orlando 1971

MSG 1973

Montreux 1970

check them out!

Duckman, another question........what are the best bootleg versions of the Orlando and MSG gigs? And has Winston worked his magic on these at all?

I've already got Montreaux and Southampton

Cheers

 

Edited by Xolo1974

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, when I say I speculate that the Disc 2 of leaked raw multi tracks make up what circulates (sounds almost as good as HTWWW but is raw and has not edits or cuts) it is Dancing Days, What Is and What Should Never Be, and Moby Dick, and it sounds better to these ears than HTWWW. Sounds more like a soundboard of a modern day band. Its out there. Cough starship black beauty's site. Was on a bootleg studio sessions release or something like that. So it implies the rest could be hoarded, hopefully the band releases it before they do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful. Better sound than HTWWW to me.

PM me if you want link to Dancing Days and What Is and What Should Never Be from 6/27/72

Edited by Dirty Work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Duckman......thanks buddy.

Have just listened to Orlando 71. Holy Fuck! What a performance.....what a solo!!!!

I have the one I've been looking for! Beautiful version with a heavy and powerful back end.

Oh and by the way, thanks for the general pointer towards Orlando. It's decent sound quality....I'm downloading now.....i'll take my bike out for a spin later and listen to the whole gig. Excited.

Thanks again

 

Many times I've considered this to be Jimmy's best live solo, a balls to the wall simple chord progression but blistering solo anyways, and could listen to the Orlando '71 Thank You over and over. Its like someone told him "you suck!" before they started the song. Haha

 

Jimmy definitely proved he could burn through the Thank You solo like nobody's business in early years, making it less like Can't You See and more like Dear Mr. Fantasy, or something along those lines.

 

 

 

Edited by Dirty Work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Duckman, another question........what are the best bootleg versions of the Orlando and MSG gigs? And has Winston worked his magic on these at all?

I've already got Montreaux and Southampton

Cheers

 

Those three incomplete  Soundboards from the US 1971 tour (Hampton, Toronto and Orlando) are by no means audiophile's delights. A bit lacking in the cymbal department , but my empress 2 disc set is good enough. It was packaged 'bookstyle', like JVC's audiophile XRCD's (splendid sounding Jazz classics from the Prestige, Pablo and Riverside rosters) , but for quality I think all are more or less the same. As for the MSG 73 , no idea...I downloaded that one lossless Agnes ago and don't remember the source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little off topic but Orlando is much better than Hampton '71, on the latter the hi-hat is completely inaudible. They're what I call "excellent-, very good+" soundboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To continue the off topic stuff, back when Hampton surfaced around 1990-1995, it was unmixed.  The bass guitar was on one channel and the vocals, drums and guitar was on the other channel.  

And for a killer Thank You, check out Boston 1971.  The last few minutes are prime Zeppelin.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the link. I really didnt want to be the impetus of a site violation. But thanks.

Couple of things going on here. There is a tape out there with a real real clean Thank You that cooks. Its Montreaux by a Net Source named the Robert Plant Experience. It was gone when I got around to burning it but it was certainly memorable.

Vancouver 3/21/70 (T2) has a slow burn version of Thank You. Certainly one of my favs but it's one of those tapes that sound great through headphones and my portable Bose Dock but crappy in the car and on my component system.

The Toronto 71 Fragment can be found on Godfathers High Heeled Sneakers and it sounds great. A little confused at first since HHS was Hampton Va. 9/9/71 and they list Toronto 9/4/71 as Hampton 9/4. I trust BootLedz on this for clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 21, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Sticks of Fire said:

To continue the off topic stuff, back when Hampton surfaced around 1990-1995, it was unmixed.  The bass guitar was on one channel and the vocals, drums and guitar was on the other channel.  

And for a killer Thank You, check out Boston 1971.  The last few minutes are prime Zeppelin.

 

Yep. Not that I had it then, was born a year before that timeline, but I went looking for it just to see if it sounded as good as the other mono versions, and eventually found most of it. I remember asking about it at the hotel... To quote Presence: "umm... why?"  :( Have to admit it doesn't sound as good as the other versions that are now out there. Not to me at least. Sounds a little muddier. Besides, the bass sounds like its being played through a broken speaker turned up to 11.

Its on youtube btw, Hampton '71 stereo or something like that as the title

Edited by Dirty Work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2016 at 11:42 PM, Xolo1974 said:

Reason I ask is that I struggle listening to audience sources, with the exception of the Mike Millard recordings. 

 

Define "struggle".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
strug·gle
ˈstrəɡəl/
verb
 
  1. 1.
    make forceful or violent efforts to get free of restraint or constriction.
    "before she could struggle, he lifted her up"
    synonyms: fight, grapple, wrestle, scuffle, brawl, spar; 
    informalscrap
    "James struggled with the intruders"
    •  
       
       
       
       
       
    •  
       
    •  
       
       
       
    •  
       
       
       
noun
 
  1. 1.
    a forceful or violent effort to get free of restraint or resist attack.
    synonyms: fight, scuffle, brawl, tussle, wrestling bout, skirmish, fracas, melee;More


well......you asked

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...