"The Rover" Outro Solo

mickey g

I've been wondering about this, probably since PG was released : 

1) Why does the solo go to fade so quickly when it seems Jimmy is just really getting into it ?

2) Any chance of the "whole" solo being on tape somewhere ? LOL...

It's a great segment, that ending but he is pretty much just repeating a riff at the fade (a killer one for sure).

There is surely a bit more on the multitrack tape but maybe not much and I would think we got to hear the best bits.

Also, the concept of 'leave them wanting more' is a valuable one.  

^^

Absolutely, Jimmy Page is basically playing around an octave higher with the main riff, I believe Jimmy Page wasn't going into any solo because he already made an awesome one sooner on this song, he knows what he's doing and that this part was going to be fading. It's like the end of Good time bad Time, that can go on forever, but like in a movie and as Ledsox said "leave them wanting more" and don't let the movie go for too long otherwise you might start to be boring. Don't forget it was vinyl and there's an limited space, It was already a double album, better leave some space for others song.

I think just like Dark Lord, etc., there probably was just that repeating segment, perhaps elaborated a little but then

a unclear ending. Another outro solo I'd love to hear(If it continued) is the very end of ITE---that really sounds awesome.

Jumping off ship a bit, what about that KILLER outro EVH solo on "Mean Street"?? It actually reminds me a bit of the ITE

outro.

If you do a relatively quick fade-out like this it generally means someone stopped playing - usually the drummer, 'cos anything else would have been very easy to add to - so there won't be any extended solo on tape somewhere.  Well, no more than 2 bars worth anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived