Do you think there will ever be another band to come out that's as good as Zeppelin?

Bonhamclone72

Hey, fellow ZEP heads! 

Just wondering what you all thought about another band ever emerging in the future, that would ever be as good, or have the impact that Zeppelin had? Cause to me, it seems like we're still waiting for that "great band" to come out, and move us the way Zeppelin did! That one band that separates themselves from all the rest? I don't think it's ever gonna happen? I'm interested in your thoughts? Ya know... First it was the Beatles. Then Zeppelin took over in the 70's.... So when is the next great band gonna come along? So far... No one's taken the reigns from Zeppelin yet! In my humble opinion! 

Edited by Bonhamclone72

What a great but truly perplexing question. I personally think that within the power trio structure that emerged from

the 60's(Zep "3"+Plant)  there could arise a band which uses some of the technologies of today along with tremendous

instrumental and emotional power to create something really amazing. Remember, Hendrix was a monster player,

but he was certainly helped along by some of the effects pedals that were literally being created for him. However, I

consider Bonham to be the best rock musician ever-- just look upon his tremendous impact on music of all stripes

after he died. And the other band members' total inability to find anyone even remotely close in their solo projects,

regardless if his "style" was being sought or not. New forms of music will always arise, and they may be astounding

in their own way, but Zep also belongs to the class of actual playing musicians, not mimers and programmed synths.

Their entire presentation, musically and visually, is of mythic archetypes. These things cannot be easily manufactured

or push buttoned into existence. Overall it's very unlikely anything like Zep will arise again.

there have been plenty of bands that are just as talented; writing and playing wise as led zeppelin. the problem is that people basically want another band that is a mirror image of led zeppelin but then when a band comes out that sounds like them people just say they are a rip off of led zeppelin and if they dont sound like them, then people say they aren't as good as led zeppelin, so in a way, no matter what a rock band does, they will always be placed under led zeppelin. led zeppelin was also the first of their kind and no one else can change that.

jimmy page, john bonham and john paul jones were musical geniuses but robert plants voice was what really set them apart. sure there are some sound a likes (billy squier, david coverdale ect...) but none of them have that natural and primal scream like robert did, his voice could be piercing and soothing at the same time. most rock bands have very gritty and masculine vocalists while robert plants vocals were very vulnerable and feminine but with a very hard edge at the same time.

if you go listen to p.j. probys album "three week hero" (it was the first album led zeppelin recorded as a band without robert plant on vocals) I think you will see that without him they probably wouldn't have reached the success they did.

Edited by sk8rat

A few came sort of close.

ACDC had IMMENSE potential before Bon Scott died. ACDC died with him IMHO. Nowhere near a diversity of creative ideas, but it was early days, and I always thought the sky was the limit for them lads.

Nirvana I thought could have set the world alight if not for Kurt succumbing to his demons. They seemed to be positioned to be exactly that 'next monster rock band' that could have been as great and even as diverse as Zeppelin.

Queen, close, but they had a lot of filler on their albums. Zep essentially had near ZERO. At their best Queen were brilliant.

Pink Floyd had a few stunning albums, and to me they are closest, but lack the depth of material (IMHO)

But even just reading that back to myself, and then thinking of the immense and powerful solo's and jams at EVERY gig. EVERY bootleg and official release. The ridiculously awesome songs (IMTOD, ALS, TYG, The Rover, Carouselumbra, so many others) from all their LP's. Their official live releases. I just don't see another that comes close. Maybe one day. Everything changes, and everything comes back around. Eventually, long after now, the roots of blues rock will become the flavour once again. Led Zeppelin will also continue to inspire as long as their is music! So who knows?

But I don't think you and I will be around when that happens.

I can think of at least 1 band that is as good as Led Zeppelin in terms of factors such as musicianship and (who in my opinion) is better than Led Zeppelin in terms of factors such as album themes and lyrics. Now, Led Zeppelin triumphed in terms of marketability and mass appeal. The band that I am speaking of, remains pretty underrated even today and has been regarded as a cult band for quite a while because of its song themes (apart from other things) and has been declared by some to be an acquired taste

7 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

There are many bands as good as Zeppelin, but they did not have the secret recipe of hits, deep cuts, accessibility, mystique, and personality as Zeppelin did. That is not to suggest that they weren't great bands. They just weren't as prolific as Zeppelin. 

Agreed.

12 hours ago, sk8rat said:

if you go listen to p.j. probys album "three week hero" (it was the first album led zeppelin recorded as a band without robert plant on vocals) I think you will see that without him they probably wouldn't have reached the success they did.

I never knew that, sk8rat, thanks for educating me on that album!  After listening to Three Week Hero, I can understand why it's not talked about a lot.  I doubt I would like that song any better had Robert been on vocals. :P 

15 hours ago, Bonhamclone72 said:

Hey, fellow ZEP heads! 

Just wondering what you all thought about another band ever emerging in the future, that would ever be as good, or have the impact that Zeppelin had? Cause to me, it seems like we're still waiting for that "great band" to come out, and move us the way Zeppelin did! That one band that separates themselves from all the rest? I don't think it's ever gonna happen? I'm interested in your thoughts? Ya know... First it was the Beatles. Then Zeppelin took over in the 70's.... So when is the next great band gonna come along? So far... No one's taken the reigns from Zeppelin yet! In my humble opinion! 

No, because rock music in general has run it's course and the music industry has become completely corporate.  

What Steve said is enormously valid. People who didn't actually experience 

the 60's and 70's as well have no idea how powerful rock was as an overall

force back then , not now where rock is one minuscule thing among video

games, the net, the huge expansion of cable , etc. And I think rock has run

it's course, just like rap is being more integrated and on the downhill slope,

although a decade or two may be needed before rap really morphs into

some other dominant or emerging sound. As well the breakup of the music

industry, very hard to predict artistry, touring, trends towards smaller or

bigger venues ??? Looking back into history, no need to worry about some

amazing music coming from somewhere, barring a nuclear apocalypse or

something.

16 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

I can think of at least 1 band that is as good as Led Zeppelin in terms of factors such as musicianship and (who in my opinion) is better than Led Zeppelin in terms of factors such as album themes and lyrics. Now, Led Zeppelin triumphed in terms of marketability and mass appeal. The band that I am speaking of, remains pretty underrated even today and has been regarded as a cult band for quite a while because of its song themes (apart from other things) and has been declared by some to be an acquired taste

what band is that?

19 minutes ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Rush. 

they are definitely an acquired taste but to call them a cult band and underrated I think is a bit off. they have a huge fan base. led zeppelin was definitely more influential than them though.

I think there is a huge difference between rush and led zeppelin even though they are always compared. with led zeppelin it was so much more than just writing awesome songs, rush was really more about writing very climactic and intricate instrumentals. also geddy lee's vocals are absolutely atrocious imo.

6 minutes ago, sk8rat said:

they are definitely an acquired taste but to call them a cult band and underrated I think is a bit off. they have a huge fan base. led zeppelin was definitely more influential than them though.

I think there is a huge difference between rush and led zeppelin even though they are always compared. with led zeppelin it was so much more than just writing awesome songs, rush was really more about writing very climactic and intricate instrumentals. also geddy lee's vocals are absolutely atrocious imo.

To me, calling Geddy's vocals absolutely atrocious, is a bit off. 

14 minutes ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

To me, calling Geddy's vocals absolutely atrocious, is a bit off. 

well there is a reason why I said "imo" (in my opinion) but hey if you want to believe that they aren't good enough as a band (not just musicians) to have more than a cult following that's on you. 

15 minutes ago, sk8rat said:

well there is a reason why I said "imo" (in my opinion) but hey if you want to believe that they aren't good enough as a band (not just musicians) to have more than a cult following that's on you. 

You asked me to give you the name of the band that I mentioned and I did that. And now, you try to over analyze my post to such an extent that you have got my opinion on Rush, to be absolutely wrong. Make no mistake. Rush is my favourite band of all time. They mean way, way, way more to me than any other band on this planet! Strangely enough, you seem to think that I regard Rush as a cult band and that they are not good enough? I said they have been regarded as a cult band. I did not say that I regard them as a cult band. Please read my post carefully before making such assumptions. Oh and did I mention how much they actually mean to me? And yes, it does surprise me that there are some who regard them to be a cult band after all the wonderful albums they have put out over the years! They have such an incredible body of work. 

Your analysis of my post is way off. 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Yeah I'm sure there will be bands as good as them, but not many, in the 70' there was a bunch of pretty damn good bands, Rock/blues was the main music, now not that much. I was really into The black keys, I mean listen to El Camino it's amazing for me and that album is as good as what led zeppelin has done before, but I guess it was just the time of one album but for me it's show that it's possible.

Edited by Klape

19 hours ago, sk8rat said:

i remember buying their live album, i think it was "Exit Stage Left".  I have to agree about Lee's vocals...I was like "what the hell is he trying to do"?

In more recent albums, his vocals have smoothed out a nicely.

As for the OP, it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges.  Zep is who Zep is because of the time they came out, the bands around them, and just the whole environment.  We may see a band hit it bigger than Zep (quite a few have sold more records than Zep or sold more tickets) but the question is simply too subjective to be answered accuratley, IMHO.

On 2/26/2016 at 1:40 AM, rm2551 said:

Nirvana I thought could have set the world alight if not for Kurt succumbing to his demons. They seemed to be positioned to be exactly that 'next monster rock band' that could have been as great and even as diverse as Zeppelin.

I know opinions are like assholes, but mine is that Nirvana was quite possibly the most overrated band in the history of popular music. But I realize I'm probably in the minority on that one. However, as an aside, I did find this interesting quote on Wikipedia:

Nirvana used dynamic shifts that went from quiet to loud. Cobain had sought to mix heavy and pop musical sounds; he commented, "I wanted to be totally Led Zeppelin in a way and then be totally extreme punk rock and then do real wimpy pop songs".

On 2/26/2016 at 7:07 AM, SteveAJones said:

No, because rock music in general has run it's course and the music industry has become completely corporate.  

That's it right there!  In the "old days" (early/mid sixties), studio heads had no idea what this new generation wanted, so a lot more weird music with "limited commercial potential" was produced.

On 2/26/2016 at 7:34 AM, henrybonzo said:

its all about time and place. modern music cant influence future generations as much as the zeps, beatles sabbaths etc of time gone by has

i also agree with steves comment above 

Yup, that music scene was "of its time".  The conditions will never be like that again.  WWII had a lot to do with that.

Short answer: NO.

For the reasons above and more:

1. The 'baby boom' generation was a unique event, the affluence, shared experience, and sheer numbers created a demand for the product of Rock and Roll.  But, as Steve pointed out, it's a corporate formula now-a-days, and music is divided into countless genres and styles.

2. The British "Art-school" movement trained so many of the best and brightest in music just before the whole 60's scene broke.  The level of talent and competition in Rock (and Soul) will never be matched.

3. The rise of MTV made music a "spectacle" to be viewed instead of listened to.  Before then ugly, but musically talented people could be rock stars (Mick?, Steven Tyler?, etc) "Video killed the radio star.