RAH Live Album

Well, live albums (particularly back then) didn't always follow the concert sequence, and I think CB is a better opening than We're Gonna Groove. 

I made an edit of this track sequence using a bootleg of the show, and it sounds great.

I wish I could have included Heartbreaker on the album, but a full version isn't available. 

I think it would have been great to release it as an album maybe before or after the bbc sessions but not while the band was together.

while we are on the subject, on the official site it says they played since ive been loving you during the royal albert hall show. is that correct and they just cut it out, or just a mistake on the site?

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/january-9-1970

36 minutes ago, sk8rat said:

I think it would have been great to release it as an album maybe before or after the bbc sessions but not while the band was together.

while we are on the subject, on the official site it says they played since ive been loving you during the royal albert hall show. is that correct and they just cut it out, or just a mistake on the site?

Apparently they did play it, but Jimmy has said that the recording feed to Jones' organ was absent; that's why we've never heard it.

Nice work ! Really nice. I would love to make my own album covers.

I get mine from the net . Print , cut and glue to the case. The end result serves it's purpose and I don't have a watch, cellphone or a clock just that drum beat in my head. So, I am a caveman. Hungry , eat. Tired, sleep. Music, play. Inspired, create. Would a Cromag, with a couple of useless degrees , like me, be able to learn how to do this ? I only have computers for access to music and art sites. And a limited amount of time before The Trumpets

I don't think it would have been a good idea to put out a live album so early on. The mystique and the word of mouth build up may not have been as great. The thing with "word of mouth" is that the said mouth will more often than not will paint a more sensational picture.And greater hype.

Make no mistake, IMHO this document captures the band in it's undisputed prime . 70-72. No telling what the "finished" product of an official release would have sounded like. The magick may have been lost in the mix.

I had always wondered about SIBLY's absence. I love the very early pre- Zep III versions.

For me GF's release of this show is the definitive one. It has the entire Long Tall Sally medley and while Heartbreaker is cut off it runs for about 6 minutes.  HMMT is not truncated.

I've never considered this. But now that you mention it, if there is one gig they could make a live album from, it would be RAH '70. Blistering. The opening pair.. a one two punch square in the the face. They missed a great opportunity for a live album. Due to the energy and accuracy, IMO it would make Band of Gypsys look like an average release, with the exception of Machine Gun...  Great point. Hindsight is 20/20. <_<

On March 3, 2016 at 4:16 AM, Jimmywalnutz said:

Nice work ! Really nice. I would love to make my own album covers.

I get mine from the net . Print , cut and glue to the case. The end result serves it's purpose and I don't have a watch, cellphone or a clock just that drum beat in my head. So, I am a caveman. Hungry , eat. Tired, sleep. Music, play. Inspired, create. Would a Cromag, with a couple of useless degrees , like me, be able to learn how to do this ? I only have computers for access to music and art sites. And a limited amount of time before The Trumpets

I don't think it would have been a good idea to put out a live album so early on. The mystique and the word of mouth build up may not have been as great. The thing with "word of mouth" is that the said mouth will more often than not will paint a more sensational picture.And greater hype.

Make no mistake, IMHO this document captures the band in it's undisputed prime . 70-72. No telling what the "finished" product of an official release would have sounded like. The magick may have been lost in the mix.

I had always wondered about SIBLY's absence. I love the very early pre- Zep III versions.

For me GF's release of this show is the definitive one. It has the entire Long Tall Sally medley and while Heartbreaker is cut off it runs for about 6 minutes.  HMMT is not truncated.

The early SIBLY's were the best versions. If the one from Montreux '70 doesn't impress you, you're missing out on enjoying some of the most emotional and unique bluesy rock Zeppelin ever played.

On 3/2/2016 at 0:03 PM, sk8rat said:

They did play Since I've Been Loving You and Organ Solo ~ Thank You during the Royal Albert Hall 1970 show, and a short snippet of Jonsey's Organ Solo exists on bootleg or maybe the beginning of Thank You (I can't remember, but it's not much) as well as a partial recording of a blistering Heartbreaker!! They played both SIBLY and TY every single show in 1970 from January 7, 1970 - September 19, 1970. Anyway the reason for Heartbreaker being incomplete is understandable as tapes do run out while recording, though not very professional IMHO, but no existing recording of either Since I've Been Loving You and Thank You has always bugged me deeply as those are my 2 favorite songs performed at the show and seeing/hearing/experiencing the 3rd ever performances of both songs would be phenomenal, not to mention it would be the only existing video of Thank You since that didn't get recorded during New York 7/29/1973 either or whatever, but at least a flawless soundboard recording of it exists unlike the RAH 1970 performance... 

1 hour ago, Dirty Work said:

The early SIBLY's were the best versions. If the one from Montreux '70 doesn't impress you, you're missing out on enjoying some of the most emotional and unique bluesy rock Zeppelin ever played.

I can't agree the early 1970 versions were the best of them all as that was one song that was almost always fantastic!! But the Montreux '70 performance certainly is a favorite, but the Vancouver '70 performance 2 weeks later is absolutely amazing and definitely one of my favorite performances of the song!! I listen to that one very often. The kind of dark sound of the recording really fits the song well IMHO and Jonsey's organ is very loud in the mix and creepy sounding!! Plant's vocals are also awesome on it! Love that song.

Nothing comes close to the early SIBLY's, for me. Yep, 3/7 & 3/21/70 are about as good as it gets. Robert is really digging  deep and Jimmy is on the money.

SIBLY is probably the worst sounding (or sloppy) Zep song when it's not played well. But when the band is cooking , it's incredible.

Archived