RIP Prince

Walter

I hate to say this, but it may be true that Prince died from a prescription drug overdose.  Illicit, illegal or prescription, a drug overdose is a drug overdose. 

I loved Prince and Purple Rain is one of my favorite albums of all-time. 

This is one of my favorite Prince songs and one of my favorite songs of all-time.  For real, although I actually prefer the studio version:  Regardless, this is one of the most beautiful and most poignant love songs of all-time.  Just listen to the lyrics.  The lyrics tells it all. 

https://youtu.be/KwSnkndDQGw

It probably won't, but this should draw attention to the fact that doctors get people hooked on these pills.  Prince was never into drinking or drugs - then he has surgery, next thing you know he's found dead with perks in his pocket.  Allegedly he was seen on video going to the pharmacy 4 times in the week prior to his death.  No doctor should be prescribing those types of pills at that level of frequency of refills.

I honestly don't know why this has affected me so much...but it has.  I've been listening to the Sirius/XM tribute channel non-stop for days...  Every day I wake up and think I'm done and I'll go back to listening to my Broadway show tunes ( :) ), but I don't.  Not ready yet.

4 hours ago, ebk said:

I honestly don't know why this has affected me so much...but it has.  I've been listening to the Sirius/XM tribute channel non-stop for days...  Every day I wake up and think I'm done and I'll go back to listening to my Broadway show tunes ( :) ), but I don't.  Not ready yet.

??

18 hours ago, Strider said:

Fan tributes at Amoeba record shop in Hollywood.

20160425_204224.thumb.jpg.bac03fb04b40d4

20160425_204135.jpg

Those fan tributes to Prince sure look wonderful, Strider! Thanks for posting those photos. It just goes to show, how many lives that man touched, with his music! 

The Amoeba record shop in Hollywood, was featured on an international news channel, where there were a number of fans at the store, speaking to a reporter on live television, telling her how much the music of Prince meant to them and then, proceeding to write their special tribute messages on those cards. 

To be honest, as I was watching all those fans on T.V, coming up to that reporter that day at the store, I was on the look out for you! Yep! I was expecting and rather hoping to see you there too, conversing with that reporter on live television, telling her how much Prince's meant to you, considering what a huge fan of Prince you really are and the fact that you love going record shopping at Amoeba! :) 

6 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Those fan tributes to Prince sure look wonderful, Strider! Thanks for posting those photos. It just goes to show, how many lives that man touched, with his music! 

The Amoeba record shop in Hollywood, was featured on an international news channel, where there were a number of fans at the store, speaking to a reporter on live television, telling her how much the music of Prince meant to them and then, proceeding to write their special tribute messages on those cards. 

To be honest, as I was watching all those fans on T.V, coming up to that reporter that day at the store, I was on the look out for you! Yep! I was expecting and rather hoping to see you there too, conversing with that reporter on live television, telling her how much Prince's meant to you, considering what a huge fan of Prince you really are and the fact that you love going record shopping at Amoeba! :) 

Yeah, well I also have a job unfortunately. Prince's death happened at a particularly busy time for me.

There was also an outpouring of fan tributes to David Bowie and Lemmy at Amoeba after their passings. Strangely, there was no such occurrence for Glenn Frey.

I listened to his music a lot in the 80s, and am disappointed with myself for not appreciating it more in recent years while he was still here. With each day, the stories keep coming out about his incredible talent, humility and generosity.  It's a tremendous loss.

I have already posted a post or two on how much I Love Prince but I will that this one is of the greatest and prettiest songs of all-time.  Led Zeppelin notwithstanding, this may be one of my favorite songs ever.  I am not playing into the fact that I Love Prince because of his tragic death, but into the real fact that I did and will always Love Prince and for all things PRINCE. 

It looks as if Prince didn't have a will.  I'm stunned that a man who fought so hard to retain ownership of his music would not have left detailed instructions about how his catalog, unreleased recordings, etc. should be handled.  

Prince was definitely my favorite artist back in the 1999/Purple Rain days when I was just starting high school.  I listened to him non-stop over the course of several albums back then.  Interestingly, the middle to late 80's was when I  really began delving into Led Zeppelin and they deposed Prince as my favorite.  I haven't kept up with all of Prince's material recently but going back over his albums since his death has reminded me of how amazing he really was.  I guess the difference is that I discovered Zeppelin posthumously  while I loved Prince in the moment.  Playing my old Purple Rain vinyl last weekend really brought back some memories.

Prince's music was the first music I listened to that my parents really didn't get.  In fact, if they had listened closer, they probably wouldn't have allowed their 13 year old to be listening at all.  My mother was a bit shocked when she sat down and watched Purple Rain with me on video.  Since I had already watched the movie about 5 times by then, she figured that I couldn't "unwatch" it at that point.  She basically relaxed and watched the whole thing with me.  I can remember sitting by the radio waiting for When Doves Cry to get its hourly play and the high school dance when I heard Purple Rain for the first time.

It's probably only a matter of time before we see re-releases of Prince special edition albums.  If his vaults are stocked as well as Prince himself had claimed, they could make for some great listening.  It's never too late to discover or rediscover a musical genius.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 3:35 PM, Strider said:

According to one of magazines at the supermarket checkout line:

IT WAS MURDER!

I have seen the same magazine headline and another.  Prince was murdered and/or Prince had a very high level or Percocet in his system and thus died from a drug overdose.  I know that the results of the autopsy are still days or weeks away, but I have a feeling that our beloved Prince was a very "private" drug addict and thus this addiction took his life.  A great life and legacy of great Music but a tragic way to be remembered. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived