Iggy Pop

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

In 1994, Charles Thompson (Frank Black) made his best album ever, Teenager of the Year. I can hear Iggy's New Values album influence all over this. Thompson was one of the best songwriters of all time imo and was the best at adopting the styles of other rock and rollers and using it for his own devices - while still being completely himself and original.

Anyway, there's a track on Teenager called "Pure Denizens of the Citizens Band" where he gives the vocals a strange treatment, and it sounds an awful lot like what Iggy did on the "New Values" song. Pretty cool tip of the hat to one of Chuck's idols. For anyone interested, he also did a song on his first self-titled album (Frank Black) called "One Percenter" that's about Iggy. It's pretty killer.

The sound/feel of the album (New Values) is present throughout Teenager. Pretty sure Charles had this on regular rotation during writing/recording for this one.

Edited by 1975NQ

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Did you see him on this tour? If not, you should. With all of the original Stooges dead, this is the best band Iggy is likely to ever have in this day and age. I like the new album, too. The Palladium show was cracking. See him now before it is too late.

Edited by Strider

On 5/7/2023 at 12:50 PM, Strider said:

Did you see him on this tour? If not, you should. With all of the original Stooges dead, this is the best band Iggy is likely to ever have in this day and age. I like the new album, too. The Palladium show was cracking. See him now before it is too late.

I fucked up missing him this year, as you say this is the best band he is likely ever to have again. I like the new album as well.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...