Kashmir -over rated?

SamG

There was a time when I thought Kashmir was to methodical and repetitious, but then I saw the light and now I think its pure genius.

The part where Plant sings, "Trying to find, trying to find where I've beeeeeen" and Page comes in with the main riff........pure bliss.

Robert Plant has been quoted as saying that Kashmir is the definitive Led Zeppelin song..

Robert loves singing Kashmir live.

I suggest you go and find him and tell him you think it's 'overrated.' I suspect he'd swat you away like an annoying knat.

true it doesn't build from quiet to soft like Stairway......but I don't think it's over rated. it's beautiful, gorgeous, but just another song you really have to be in the mood for, thats all. but when you have a good trip on it....no actual drug reference here lol......it's absolutely perfect, it fits the bill

I don't think Kashmir is overrated, not that you guys care about what i think. but i always find it strange when its voted the 2nd or 3rd best song that zeppelin ever did, by non zepheads. It good but i always thought it didn't have that much appeal as other songs did to casual listeners. it the most original Zep tune, but I'm sure more zephead like Achilles better, but you always hear more about Kashmir. its not overrated if compared to non zep stuff, but to zep stuff? but maybe because it was so original it is more well known.

and i heard this polyrythms argument before on why Page is not a good guitarist. and i say if page wanted to Fuck a girl, he goes and fucks that girl,(if shes willing) why deal with the bullshit of a Dinner when you both know you just want to Fuck.K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid

• 4 months later...

Not to me, but there are other ones people go crazy for and I just like. Kashmir is so beautiful. The lyric "with no provisions but an open face" (hope that's accurate, correct me if I'm wrong) really get to me. The way it starts, from the very first note, grabs you and doesn't let go. I can see how they once fucked it up in concert because that would be easy to do with that song.

The song rises and rises and it's just a mind blower, IMO. Been lovin it for many years!

Not to me, but there are other ones people go crazy for and I just like. Kashmir is so beautiful. The lyric "with no provisions but an open face" (hope that's accurate, correct me if I'm wrong) really get to me.

yeah it was alway "i am the traveller of all time and space"

i thought wow! haha :o

ok....but I'm running late for my jazz-nazi tuition. I shall ponder the thought in transit as I listen to dream theatre on my i-pod.

That may be your trouble, listening to it on an Ipod when it needs a powerful HI-FI system like the one that I have in my loft with 4x200w speakers. That will do it justice, you need power to listen to powerful music.

No. It's not overated. I've loved that song since I was 5, when I didn't know what it was. Jimmy's riff was burned into my head then. I don't know if anyone has heard it, but there is a brand new cover of it by this pianist William Joseph with a violinist on his album Beyond. It's just an instrumental and it's fantastic and almost scarey sounding. It's so beautiful, but it's a beautiful song anyway. I love it. I wonder if Jimmy and Robert have heard it yet everytime I hear it.

I dunno, this song is lacking something and the drum sound is muddy. I think it could have been a great success but it wasn't executed properly.

Perhaps some polyrhythms would have helped?

Forget the polyrhythms, perhaps you would be happier if it had more cowbell.

Polyrhythms?

I am surprised that no-one has pointed out that Kashmir is full of polyrhythms, so the original statement is a bit odd.

The main riff has drums phrased in 4's contrasted by a riff phrased in 3's. That's a polyrhythm, & it's present throughout most of the tune.

When the descending brass part comes in that's phrased in 4, but the original riff remains constant beneath it, in the background. Another polyrhythm, which is heard many times during the song. It's a polyrhythm over another polyrhythm - how much more polyrhythmic do you want to get?

And it's worth mentioning the single bar of 9/8 they slip in just once in the tune. Not a polyrhythm, but a classic case of Zeppelin rhythmic complexity, which seems to be what the original poster was wanting more of.

Polyrhythms? Yeah, we got them, thanks for asking! :wave:

I don't feel it's overrated at all. I've heard people actually groan when the first few notes of "Stairway" come on the radio due to over exposure, but not with "Kashmir". I think more than anything, it's more familiarity than overrated. I think people who aren't familar with Zep's music KNOW it's Zep when they hear "Kashmir". I know I was like that before I was a fan.

Archived