BEST LIVE VERSION OF NO QUARTER?

59 minutes ago, John M said:

It is a cloudy and rainy day so I went back and listened to all the LA 75 NQ again.  indeed 3-25 is fabulous !  The piano playing is especially stunning.  When people tell me that Wakeman and Emerson were better than Jones I have them listen to stuff like this.  Jones was so creative and not just about bombast and rapid flourishes.   When I listen to NQ from LA 75 I realize they are not just performing a song.  They are creating new music every night, live on the spot.  And that is different from just "jamming" the way alot of bands do.  What makes NQ so interesting and endlessly fascinating is the interplay among Jones, Bonham and Page.  you can hear them develop ideas in real time, playing off each other in new ways every night.

Yeah, for sure.  3/25 is definitely unique for how Jones teases just about all of the grooves from the past two months before finally settling on one, in addition to him switching back to the electric piano during Jimmy's solo.

Speaking of No Quarter, can anyone remind me which show has Plant introducing the song as "about a journey, a rather, dubious, journey."  They way he pauses and says "dubious" is hilarious.  As I recall that is a great version but I can't remember which show it was.  He was always saying it was about a journey, but this was the only time I heard his say "dubious journey".

3 hours ago, John M said:

Speaking of No Quarter, can anyone remind me which show has Plant introducing the song as "about a journey, a rather, dubious, journey."  They way he pauses and says "dubious" is hilarious.  As I recall that is a great version but I can't remember which show it was.  He was always saying it was about a journey, but this was the only time I heard his say "dubious journey".

Vancouver 1975-03-19.

On 8/12/2017 at 5:36 AM, duckman said:

For every mood there's a suitable No Quarter. But since I grew up with the May 24 version on the 1975 Earl's Court boot lp on LZ Europe followed by TSRTS a few months later, both these versions will stay my desert isle versions. 

You summed up my thoughts exactly, dm!

10 hours ago, johnlennon696 said:

If anyone has the 06/22/77 boot to hand. Listen to NQ from just past the 12:00 mark. Bonzo/Page do a unique medley that I havn't heard before. I do wondered if they did do it like that at any other show too tbh, as I found it fantastic.

That June 22 "No Quarter" is awesome- very epic indeed. Too bad the sound quality on the circulating recording leaves much to be desired. If the sound quality of the June 22 recordings was on par with the 21st or 23rd the June 22 show would be spoken of in the same reverential tones as "Eddie" or "Badgeholders". But what the hell- Mike Millard couldn't tape every show, I suppose.

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

This is pure fucking genius right here. For anyone who hasn't heard this before or not heard it in a long time please give it a full listen:

I listened to the whole show just this week and yes this NQ smokes. Jimmy is on for most of the night tbh and his soloing in NQ is as good as ever here.

One version that I almost never hear people talk about (though it has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread) is 5/18/75. I've listened to this a couple of times and I think it may just be my favorite NQ from 1975. Jones absolutely kills it and Page's solo (to my ears) is almost as fluid as his solo on TSRTS. Great recording too.

1) TSRTS

2) Vancouver 19/03/75

3) Celebration Day

The TSRTS one may be a patchwork, but it really has a vibe like no other. Generally I prefer NQ to be concise and not spread out so much, which is why I've got less patience for the 75-77 versions. However, the Vancouver one on the 19th is awesome, it doesn't slow down or wander and just goes off into its own world for a while, and the recording is great too. The Celebration Day version I like because it's back to the concise rendition of the song, I think it's stretched out a little to 10 minutes or so. I find it very atmospheric.

I really do think the 77 versions wander so much they lose the point of the song, and sound rather disjointed for the most part. The LA versions are OK, but the ones from earlier in the tour when they put Nut Rocker in are somewhat ridiculous. Just doesn't go with the whole ambience of the song.

25 minutes ago, Cosmic_Equilibrium said:

1) TSRTS

2) Vancouver 19/03/75

3) Celebration Day

The TSRTS one may be a patchwork, but it really has a vibe like no other. Generally I prefer NQ to be concise and not spread out so much, which is why I've got less patience for the 75-77 versions. However, the Vancouver one on the 19th is awesome, it doesn't slow down or wander and just goes off into its own world for a while, and the recording is great too. The Celebration Day version I like because it's back to the concise rendition of the song, I think it's stretched out a little to 10 minutes or so. I find it very atmospheric.

I really do think the 77 versions wander so much they lose the point of the song, and sound rather disjointed for the most part. The LA versions are OK, but the ones from earlier in the tour when they put Nut Rocker in are somewhat ridiculous. Just doesn't go with the whole ambience of the song.

Agreed (for the most part). And, yes, that Vancouver '75 NQ is very good, not my favorite but the quality of the playing combined with the quality of the recording is really outstanding.

10 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

This is pure fucking genius right here. For anyone who hasn't heard this before or not heard it in a long time please give it a full listen:

Couldn't agree more, spellbinding version.  The 2nd Long Beach show is nearly as good as the 2nd Seattle show, sometimes I think it's better.

13 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

One version that I almost never hear people talk about (though it has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread) is 5/18/75. I've listened to this a couple of times and I think it may just be my favorite NQ from 1975. Jones absolutely kills it and Page's solo (to my ears) is almost as fluid as his solo on TSRTS. Great recording too.

Here here!! One of my favs too. The coda is a bitch too! 

As with most of you I think we are all partial to TSRTS version in one form another because for most it was the only version you had growing up . It's middle section is for the ages. . It is the light and shade the band prided themselves on. . The visuals JPJ provided for us to be along on the journey. .I believe the 28th with a few alterations is in its entirety and keep in mind this song was still in its infancy with room to grow and expand. . to 40 min. . that to me is a little much (even at 25min in 1975). . but in 1973 it is streamlined at a pace close to 13 min which in my mind always seems like 5 or 6 min. .To my ear they are two and one in the same so 7-28-1973/TSRTS is my favorite 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about any of the '77 versions being too long, but--in any event--I think "Badgeholders" would be at the top of the list, followed by Seattle. And an honorable mention to this one--not sure where I would rank it, but it was the first "Nutrocker" I heard, so I have a fondness for it....

• 5 weeks later...

When ever anyone mentions that they like any of the earls court versions, it seems like it is usually the 5-24-1975 version they like best. While that version has a little bit better audio quality and better done intro and Outro, I urge those people to take another look at jones and page's solo during 5-25-75. In my opinion it is by far the best solo out of the 5 concerts. 

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 7:09 PM, Badgeholder Still said:

My only complaint is it could be longer.

If it's not this one it's the 23rd. If it's not the 23rd then it's this one, depending on which one i'm listening to.

I agree with Badge. But I have reservations.

There is another for best performance. If you would like a classic best No Q... This would be the first known live recorded No Quarter.

Enjoy

Edited by apantherfrommd

14 hours ago, Zarek Pirkola said:

When ever anyone mentions that they like any of the earls court versions, it seems like it is usually the 5-24-1975 version they like best. While that version has a little bit better audio quality and better done intro and Outro, I urge those people to take another look at jones and page's solo during 5-25-75. In my opinion it is by far the best solo out of the 5 concerts. 

I am partial to 5-23. Page uses the Strat instead of the LP and he just wails the shit outta the solo. Seriously amazing shit. This is my favorite version for the guitar solo, and the keys are good as well.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:38 AM, Zarek Pirkola said:

The 25th has some brilliant moments, no doubt.  Main problem with the EC NQ, kind of emblematic of the EC concerts as a whole, is that all of the versions are uneven, lots of truly inspired parts, with some frankly dull passages.  Of the five, if I had to pick one, I'd go with the 17th, unique by '75 versions, and a precursor of the '77 versions.  But over time the 24th has grown on me, definitely some winning playing there.

On 11/9/2017 at 8:14 AM, blindwillie127 said:

I was at this show so I will always have a fondness for it, but I've got to ask what is this source? The 3.12.75 boot I have is Badgeholder's "Taking No Prisoners" and it is completely overloaded by the bass...until Mike Millard's tape takes over during "Stairway to Heaven". So where did you find this much more listenable source?

We know EVSD has the soundboard...stop teasing us already and release the damn thing.

On 11/9/2017 at 8:51 AM, ZepHead315 said:

May 18 and 23 are my faves from the Earls Court run.

March 17, 1975 Seattle has my favourite Jones-Bonham setting-up-the-solo segment...Jones gets very Thelonious.

Edited by Strider