Jump to content

BEST LIVE VERSION OF NO QUARTER?


Recommended Posts

On 12/31/2017 at 9:26 PM, apantherfrommd said:

I agree with Badge. But I have reservations.

There is another for best performance. If you would like a classic best No Q... This would be the first known live recorded No Quarter.

Enjoy

 

I realize Zeppelin Time is tricky but Mobile, Alabama is not the first recorded "No Quarter"  in concert. May 5, 1973 Tampa is...at least until someone unearths a tape of May 4 Atlanta.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Strider said:

I was at this show so I will always have a fondness for it, but I've got to ask what is this source? The 3.12.75 boot I have is Badgeholder's "Taking No Prisoners" and it is completely overloaded by the bass...until Mike Millard's tape takes over during "Stairway to Heaven". So where did you find this much more listenable source?

We know EVSD has the soundboard...stop teasing us already and release the damn thing.

Until recently, there were two sources circulating for this show: the Millard source and the more complete distorted source. Recently, however, a third source was uncovered that is much better. It's still slightly bass-heavy at times, but it's nowhere near as distorted as the other one, and it's pretty damn close in quality to the Millard tape. It runs from the beginning of the show through to the middle of Dazed and Confused, and then cuts back in in time for Heartbreaker.

So far as I know, there are two boots currently out there that mix these three sources for the best and most complete representation of this show: Beelzebub's "Malacum Salaam, Was Anybody Here Last Night?" and David E's "Old School". Strangely enough, both of these releases use the newly discovered third source for Heartbreaker instead of the Millard source. Based on discussion at Royal Orleans it seems David E's release is the one to seek out, although unfortunately it is not currently on Black Beauty. I listened to Beelzebub's version and found it highly enjoyable with one exception: some extensive EQ has been applied to the new source on the 2nd disc. Not sure why it was only done for those few songs, but it's so extensive that it sounds like a completely different source and is sadly a little harsher on the ears as a result (although still nothing compared to the original distorted source). Nonetheless, I highly recommend checking out this new source. With the other two sources mixed together, the worst sounding tape only runs from the tail end of Dazed to the beginning of Stairway. It presents this show in the best light yet IMHO.

Here's the Beelzebub version on Black Beauty: http://starship.jpn.ph/zeppelin/beauty/disp/boot.jsp?R_idx=1018

And here's brief discussion on Royal Orleans about this show and this new tape: http://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44698

There's also this playlist on Youtube, although The Rain Song, Dazed, and Stairway have all been muted/blocked for copyright unfortunately:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Strider said:

I was at this show so I will always have a fondness for it, but I've got to ask what is this source? The 3.12.75 boot I have is Badgeholder's "Taking No Prisoners" and it is completely overloaded by the bass...until Mike Millard's tape takes over during "Stairway to Heaven". So where did you find this much more listenable source?

We know EVSD has the soundboard...stop teasing us already and release the damn thing.

Agreed.  3/12 is right up there at the best of the tour with 3/21

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Crimson Avenger said:

They are the blue strat versions aren't they? Quite a different vibe. I'd love to see proper footage of Jimmy playing that at Earls Court.

The 18th uses the strat?  Can you tell from the sound (I don't listen to the 18th that much)?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnOsbourne said:

The 18th uses the strat?  Can you tell from the sound (I don't listen to the 18th that much)?

Yes and he takes a very different approach to the solos on the 18th & 23rd as well as the tremolo is employed. I too favor these versions and prefer Page's work on the Strat vs. the LP, both on NQ & OTH&FA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IpMan said:

Yes and he takes a very different approach to the solos on the 18th & 23rd as well as the tremolo is employed. I too favor these versions and prefer Page's work on the Strat vs. the LP, both on NQ & OTH&FA.

where's that damn soundboooaaaaaard.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rm2551 said:

where's that damn soundboooaaaaaard.....

At Jimmy's house, with all the others! But never mind that, there's multitrack - we think - of all five nights. I'd love to hear Jimmy's strat NQ sound in 75. From what we can hear it doesn't seem thin, unlike his 79 or 1990s strat tone.

The second, more recent AUD source for 18th is pretty listenable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crimson Avenger said:

At Jimmy's house, with all the others! But never mind that, there's multitrack - we think - of all five nights. I'd love to hear Jimmy's strat NQ sound in 75. From what we can hear it doesn't seem thin, unlike his 79 or 1990s strat tone.

The second, more recent AUD source for 18th is pretty listenable.

I'm afraid the multitrack mobile studio was only wheeled out for the initial EC dates (May 23, 24 & 25). When they added 17 and 18 to the itinerary "due to unprecedented demand", no multi track recordings  were planned. As for possible soundboard recordings that's anybody's guess if Jimmy has these. The popular mono 'stage' recordings that became available since the late 80's (Toasted Condor), 90's (SIRA, Dynamite Studio's, Tarantura,...) and later on with Watchtower and Empress, are in fact sourced from the video reels. Sorry to spoil the party

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, duckman said:

I'm afraid the multitrack mobile studio was only wheeled out for the initial EC dates (May 23, 24 & 25). When they added 17 and 18 to the itinerary "due to unprecedented demand", no multi track recordings  were planned. As for possible soundboard recordings that's anybody's guess if Jimmy has these. The popular mono 'stage' recordings that became available since the late 80's (Toasted Condor), 90's (SIRA, Dynamite Studio's, Tarantura,...) and later on with Watchtower and Empress, are in fact sourced from the video reels. Sorry to spoil the party

How do we know for certain that the two first nights weren't recorded? You may well be right, but I've read contradictory things about that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Crimson Avenger said:

How do we know for certain that the two first nights weren't recorded? You may well be right, but I've read contradictory things about that.

They first recorded May 23 and that recording sufferd from the same syndrome as The Who's Live at Hull. This time the kick drum was not recorded properly. Considering the additional dates were added later on, one might think the mobile unit was already reserved or it became too expensive.

 

Edited by duckman
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:55 AM, Strider said:

I realize Zeppelin Time is tricky but Mobile, Alabama is not the first recorded "No Quarter"  in concert. May 5, 1973 Tampa is...at least until someone unearths a tape of May 4 Atlanta.

 

Wow! Very appreciated, Strider.  I just learned something from their intro on the video. I never knew this was the first song on Houses Of The Holy that had a song title. Merci.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently listened to the Providence, RI show from 73 and was very impressed with that version. Page's fluidity during the solo is unreal.

I also favor JPJ's grand piano work from 77 and 79 more. I'd like to hear a mashup of his piano with a 73 version.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I also favor JPJ's grand piano work from 77 and 79 more. I'd like to hear a mashup of his piano with a 73 version.

Someone actually did something like this on Youtube, where they combined the intro and the solo from TSRTS with Jones' piano solo from the May 24th Earls Court show. It's not perfect, but it's still quite interesting to hear.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

Someone actually did something like this on Youtube, where they combined the intro and the solo from TSRTS with Jones' piano solo from the May 24th Earls Court show. It's not perfect, but it's still quite interesting to hear.

 

Awesome, thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...

Uh, I haven't heard them all so I currently can't argue for which one is the best. That said, 1975 is my fave year for NQ by far; '73 versions while sweet are too short and '77 loses the plot completely with Nutrocker and the pointless blues jam plus Jimmy is not as good during the main jam as he is in '75 IMO. So, I'm basically choosing from the available '75 versions almost by default.

I easily rate 3-21-75 as the best of what I've heard from that tour. JPJ's piano concerto catapults the track into a jazz heaven. The authority with which Bonzo joins in is unlike anything else I heard with 1975 NQs. Pagey is on fire and the conclusion of the main jam with JPJ going completely off the rails and doing his own thing for a while surpasses 2-12-75 which is the only other time on that tour that I heard him do that. Loose does not begin to describe it, they capture the essence of jazz right there. I actually still haven't heard the sbd (should have it shortly) - my opinion is based on the audience tape of 3-21.

I love that version. I also dig how if you listen to the previous two or three shows you can see how JPJ slowly warms up to this and then totally peaks on 3-21. His piano jams are okay on 3-17 and 3-19, but on 3-20 he begins to dominate. I love how on 3-20 Pagey (I presume?) has to send out the dogs of doom one extra time when JPJ just won't exit the main jam, soloing away on piano into rock n roll infinity. You can hear JPJ rising right there, and the next night he explodes. It definitely feels like a peak though because he then relaxes and fades into background for the Forum shows, the last two of which are really in many ways the opposite of his nuanced and over-the-top performances from 3-20 and 3-21 (just compare how in the Forum shows he does virtually no piano transition from the main jam back to the NQ theme - which is a shame because Jimmy's endlessly inspired solo from 3-27 is my favorite).

So yeah, Jonesy is the star of NQ, and 3-21 is the Jonesiest NQ out there that I have heard so far! Hence it's my No 1

Edited by Boogie Chillen 82
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Boogie Chillen 82 said:

Uh, I haven't heard them all so I currently can't argue for which one is the best. That said, 1975 is my fave year for NQ by far; '73 versions while sweet are too short and '77 loses the plot completely with Nutrocker and the pointless blues jam plus Jimmy is not as good during the main jam as he is in '75 IMO. So, I'm basically choosing from the available '75 versions almost by default.

I easily rate 3-21-75 as the best of what I've heard from that tour. JPJ's piano concerto catapults the track into a jazz heaven. The authority with which Bonzo joins in is unlike anything else I heard with 1975 NQs. Pagey is on fire and the conclusion of the main jam with JPJ going completely off the rails and doing his own thing for a while surpasses 2-12-75 which is the only other time on that tour that I heard him do that. Loose does not begin to describe it, they capture the essence of jazz right there. I actually still haven't heard the sbd (should have it shortly) - my opinion is based on the audience tape of 3-21.

I love that version. I also dig how if you listen to the previous two or three shows you can see how JPJ slowly warms up to this and then totally peaks on 3-21. His piano jams are okay on 3-17 and 3-19, but on 3-20 he begins to dominate. I love how on 3-20 Pagey (I presume?) has to send out the dogs of doom one extra time when JPJ just won't exit the main jam, soloing away on piano into rock n roll infinity. You can hear JPJ rising right there, and the next night he explodes. It definitely feels like a peak though because he then relaxes and fades into background for the Forum shows, the last two of which are really in many ways the opposite of his nuanced and over-the-top performances from 3-20 and 3-21 (just compare how in the Forum shows he does virtually no piano transition from the main jam back to the NQ theme - which is a shame because Jimmy's endlessly inspired solo from 3-27 is my favorite).

So yeah, Jonesy is the star of NQ, and 3-21 is the Jonesiest NQ out there that I have heard so far! Hence it's my No 1

Here's the soundboard: http://starship.jpn.ph/zeppelin/beauty/disp/boot.jsp?R_idx=2455

And the matrix: http://starship.jpn.ph/zeppelin/beauty/disp/boot.jsp?R_idx=2457

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, paplbojo said:

Where can I find him saying this?

Thanks

Don't know where the original interview with Jimmy was published, but there's a lengthy quote on the live anthology in the "Led Zeppelin the Concert File" 5Lewis/pallet). Jimmy says there is a winning version of No Quarter from EC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 years later...

But, No Quarter is best for me in the prime 1973 version, perfect one is TSRTS. Other versions from 1973, mobile, seattle.. During first part of 1975, on electric piano, atmosphere intact, when it comes to grand piano.... In 1977, big fan of this tour, it goes too far, indulgence over the place, the Liberace syndrom like a friend says... Longer is not better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...