BEST LIVE VERSION OF NO QUARTER?

2 hours ago, Paloff said:

But, No Quarter is best for me in the prime 1973 version, perfect one is TSRTS. Other versions from 1973, mobile, seattle.. During first part of 1975, on electric piano, atmosphere intact, when it comes to grand piano.... In 1977, big fan of this tour, it goes too far, indulgence over the place, the Liberace syndrom like a friend says... Longer is not better.

Providence is the best '73 version IMO.

21 hours ago, wordev1977 said:

Landover 5/30/77 definitely one of the best of 77

In The Concert File Peter Grant talks about how some Russian Ambassadors attended one of the Landover '77 shows and Jonesy saw fit to toss some Rachmaninoff and whatnot into the piano solo on the night...damned if I can suss out which show it is, though (not that I listen to the Landover gigs much, outside of May 30 they're pretty mediocre gigs IMO)

6 hours ago, Paloff said:

In 1977, big fan of this tour, it goes too far, indulgence over the place, the Liberace syndrom like a friend says... Longer is not better.

Coulda been worse- could have been Keith Emerson performing his whole goddamn "Piano Concerto" with a fucking orchestra behind him, nearly bankrupting the band in about twelve gigs😁...now THAT is self indulgent. For me, there's only a couple of '77 gigs where I think JPJ went on a little long (Pontiac, which has a really long piano solo at the expense of a shorter guitar solo, and the last L.A. Forum show). For all of Zeppelin's wankery onstage, I don't think they quite reached ELP levels (as cool as some ELP's stuff is, mind)...some of that '77 Works tour stuff really is over the top.

2 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

For the '73 tour, I love Vancouver....

What did Plant say in Seattle in '77? "Vancouver's a great place to play, but a lousy place to get spiked," which is what happened to him in Van in 73. Still a good, if shortened show. That said, dosing somebody is one of the lowest things you can do to someone, even if they like acid...

13 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

In The Concert File Peter Grant talks about how some Russian Ambassadors attended one of the Landover '77 shows and Jonesy saw fit to toss some Rachmaninoff and whatnot into the piano solo on the night...damned if I can suss out which show it is, though (not that I listen to the Landover gigs much, outside of May 30 they're pretty mediocre gigs IMO)

Coulda been worse- could have been Keith Emerson performing his whole goddamn "Piano Concerto" with a fucking orchestra behind him, nearly bankrupting the band in about twelve gigs😁...now THAT is self indulgent. For me, there's only a couple of '77 gigs where I think JPJ went on a little long (Pontiac, which has a really long piano solo at the expense of a shorter guitar solo, and the last L.A. Forum show). For all of Zeppelin's wankery onstage, I don't think they quite reached ELP levels (as cool as some ELP's stuff is, mind)...some of that '77 Works tour stuff really is over the top.

Those two are definitely long, but I've never minded the length.  The shorter guitar solo on the Pontiac one is a shame though, especially with how well Page was playing that night.  Generally speaking, I never mind a particular part of a song being extended as long as the other parts get extended proportionately so that the song as a whole doesn't feel unbalanced/lopsided.

12 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

For the '73 tour, I love Vancouver....

It's a cool one for sure, and a bit more exploratory than most '73 versions -- a tease of the '75 versions in many ways.

9 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

What did Plant say in Seattle in '77? "Vancouver's a great place to play, but a lousy place to get spiked," which is what happened to him in Van in 73. Still a good, if shortened show. That said, dosing somebody is one of the lowest things you can do to someone, even if they like acid...

Yup.  I think he says it the other way around: "One of the worst places in the world to get spiked, but one of the greatest places to play."  Anyway, semantics 😛 He mentions it at the second Vancouver '75 show as well when introducing "Kashmir," something along the lines of: "The last time we were here, one of the good citizens of Vancouver, if I ever find that guy or gal...baaaad news.  Anyway, I found the light show to be amazing and I wondered what the name of the group was.  So we'll dedicate this to that state of mind, long may it come at my moments of ease." 😂

Dosing somebody is definitely pretty low.  An awesome experience if you're intending to have it, but no one should have it thrust upon them without deciding that's how they want to spend the next 12 hours and preparing themselves for the journey.

^ As much as I love the Dead, they were notorious for dosing other people and acts apparently. Deadheads really romanticise the amount of LSD that surrounded the band, especially in the early days, but some of what they were doing with it wasn't cool imo.

11 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

It's a cool one for sure, and a bit more exploratory than most '73 versions -- a tease of the '75 versions in many ways.

Yup.  I think he says it the other way around: "One of the worst places in the world to get spiked, but one of the greatest places to play."  Anyway, semantics 😛 He mentions it at the second Vancouver '75 show as well when introducing "Kashmir," something along the lines of: "The last time we were here, one of the good citizens of Vancouver, if I ever find that guy or gal...baaaad news.  Anyway, I found the light show to be amazing and I wondered what the name of the group was.  So we'll dedicate this to that state of mind, long may it come at my moments of ease." 😂

Dosing somebody is definitely pretty low.  An awesome experience if you're intending to have it, but no one should have it thrust upon them without deciding that's how they want to spend the next 12 hours and preparing themselves for the journey.

Yeah, you got the "Spiked" quote right, I had it ass backwards😆.  I remember on that Vancouver '73 where Percy ends up trippin' balls he doesn't sound that out of it or anything, but he does say "Oh dear, I'm tired..." at one point. What a pro, he did stick it out for about two thirds of the show. At least Jimmy didn't pull up somebody from the audience to pinch hit like Pete Townshend did when Keith Moon OD'd on PCP at the Cow Palace a few months later...

54 minutes ago, tom kid said:

^ As much as I love the Dead, they were notorious for dosing other people and acts apparently. Deadheads really romanticise the amount of LSD that surrounded the band, especially in the early days, but some of what they were doing with it wasn't cool imo.

No, nothing cool about it. I did my share of psychedelics (still eat the odd mushroom now and then, but not in the last couple of years) and there are limits. The Dead went over the limits for sure, but what do you expect when yer fucking sound guy is the goddamn chemist. Owsley, aka "Kid Charlemagne"😆

Those dudes really seemed to glorify and romanticize all that bad craziness. Amazing none of them never ended going full Syd Barrett or something like that. Long list of casualties just the same though, as there always is...

I was listening to the Allman Brothers Cow Palace New Years Eve '73 show a couple weeks back- the show where Garcia and Kruetzmann sat in for the second half, everything in sight was dosed, Gregg Allman packs it in halfway through as does Jaimoe, which is why Billy sits in drums. The performance is...out there, to say the least😆 Epic "Mountain Jam". We talk about some of these Zeppelin shows where Page is so out of it he's drooling down the front of his White Dragon suit, Zep certainly weren't the only ones to go out and perform in front of 20000 people completely off their fuckin' heads. Some nights it worked, some nights it didn't.

12 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Those two are definitely long, but I've never minded the length.  The shorter guitar solo on the Pontiac one is a shame though, especially with how well Page was playing that night.  Generally speaking, I never mind a particular part of a song being extended as long as the other parts get extended proportionately so that the song as a whole doesn't feel unbalanced/lopsided.

Yes, therefore the Pontiac "No Quarter" should have been at least thirty minutes😆. They play a really different Boogie Jam at that show, too, a variation I don't believe they played at any other '77 gig we know of.

6 minutes ago, Nutrocker said:

I was listening to the Allman Brothers Cow Palace New Years Eve '73 show a couple weeks back- the show where Garcia and Kruetzmann sat in for the second half, everything in sight was dosed, Gregg Allman packs it in halfway through as does Jaimoe, which is why Billy sits in drums. The performance is...out there, to say the least😆 Epic "Mountain Jam". We talk about some of these Zeppelin shows where Page is so out of it he's drooling down the front of his White Dragon suit, Zep certainly weren't the only ones to go out and perform in front of 20000 people completely off their fuckin' heads. Some nights it worked, some nights it didn't.

Jerry was definitely the king of playing high. Even during the late 70s/early 80s Dead and JGB shows when he was looking his most ragged and near rock bottom his playing was still pretty consistently good. Sure he had some off years, particularly toward the end but man it was amazing he played as consistently as he did while being strung out on all manner of substances.

I've read that the main reason him and John Kahn relentlessly toured when the Dead weren't on the road was to make money to score H as Jerry blew through so much money on drugs. Crazy stuff.

3 hours ago, tom kid said:

Funny because in the Have A Good Trip doc on Netflix, Kreutzmann says that it's really wrong to dose somebody.  Maybe he was never the one doing it?  Or has had a change of heart in the years since?

2 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

Yeah, you got the "Spiked" quote right, I had it ass backwards😆I remember on that Vancouver '73 where Percy ends up trippin' balls he doesn't sound that out of it or anything, but he does say "Oh dear, I'm tired..." at one point. What a pro, he did stick it out for about two thirds of the show. At least Jimmy didn't pull up somebody from the audience to pinch hit like Pete Townshend did when Keith Moon OD'd on PCP at the Cow Palace a few months later...

No, nothing cool about it. I did my share of psychedelics (still eat the odd mushroom now and then, but not in the last couple of years) and there are limits. The Dead went over the limits for sure, but what do you expect when yer fucking sound guy is the goddamn chemist. Owsley, aka "Kid Charlemagne"😆

Those dudes really seemed to glorify and romanticize all that bad craziness. Amazing none of them never ended going full Syd Barrett or something like that. Long list of casualties just the same though, as there always is...

I've always been struck by how normal he sounds as well.  And lmao, definitely a good thing that Page didn't make a call to the bullpen! 😂

I stumbled across a funny Jerry interview about a month ago actually where he talks about eating too much of a cake that was dosed before a show in '69 and he said that by that point he didn't like playing shows dosed because he didn't like not having the option to stop playing while he was tripping.

I'll have to check that show out! 😂 No, they certainly weren't the only ones.  Not a psychedelic of course, but I was watching the Stones' L.A. '75 DVD a few weeks ago and I could practically smell the coke through the screen 😆 Kudos to Bonham especially for hardly ever letting it affect Zepp's tempos...

Yes, therefore the Pontiac "No Quarter" should have been at least thirty minutes😆. They play a really different Boogie Jam at that show, too, a variation I don't believe they played at any other '77 gig we know of.

I would not be opposed to that 😆 I seem to remember that, but I'll have to listen again.

2 hours ago, tom kid said:

Jerry was definitely the king of playing high. Even during the late 70s/early 80s Dead and JGB shows when he was looking his most ragged and near rock bottom his playing was still pretty consistently good. Sure he had some off years, particularly toward the end but man it was amazing he played as consistently as he did while being strung out on all manner of substances.

I've read that the main reason him and John Kahn relentlessly toured when the Dead weren't on the road was to make money to score H as Jerry blew through so much money on drugs. Crazy stuff.

Yeah, he was remarkably consistent, especially considering his highly improvisational style.  It's not like he was Keith Richards playing a paint-by-numbers version of "Brown Sugar"...

That's really sad if that's truly why he had to tour at a 20 year old's pace in his 40s and 50s.

4 hours ago, tom kid said:

If memory serves John Kahn had an opiate jones of his own and he ended up paying the ultimate price for it. OD'd in the mid 90's, I believe.

1 hour ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Funny because in the Have A Good Trip doc on Netflix, Kreutzmann says that it's really wrong to dose somebody.  Maybe he was never the one doing it?  Or has had a change of heart in the years since?

I would imagine Billy Kreutzmann was dosed a time or ten himself😅 Shit, the guy turned on his wife on their first date when she needed some Visine and the only kind of eyedrops Bill had was of the LSD-25 variety...I read that in Bill's book, and thought, "Well, that's one way to make a connection..." My late missus and I did the same thing, but not on our first date...

1 hour ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I've always been struck by how normal he sounds as well.  And lmao, definitely a good thing that Page didn't make a call to the bullpen! 😂

I stumbled across a funny Jerry interview about a month ago actually where he talks about eating too much of a cake that was dosed before a show in '69 and he said that by that point he didn't like playing shows dosed because he didn't like not having the option to stop playing while he was tripping.

I'll have to check that show out! 😂 No, they certainly weren't the only ones.  Not a psychedelic of course, but I was watching the Stones' L.A. '75 DVD a few weeks ago and I could practically smell the coke through the screen 😆 Kudos to Bonham especially for hardly ever letting it affect Zepp's tempos...

Not gonna lie- back in my acid days (daze?) the last fuckin' thing I would have been inclined to do would be to strap an instrument of some kind and then go out and do a three, four hour gig...now, being in the audience, on the other hand...

Garcia was great in interviews. Intelligent, articulate, funny, and -most of all- modest. I'm not a huge Deadhead or anything but even I felt the loss when Garcia passed. It was the end of an era for sure.

If memory serves John Kahn had an opiate jones of his own and he ended up paying the ultimate price for it. OD'd in the mid 90's, I believe.

Yep he was as hooked as Jerry was. They were both touring for that same purpose.

Yep he was as hooked as Jerry was. They were both touring for that same purpose.

Yep...sadly.

I admit I have little interest in solo Garcia but I do want track down a show or two from when he had Nicky Hopkins playing keys with him (1975, I think it was) just because I love Nicky's playing on anything, with anybody (even his cheesy sounding organ work on "Cherry Oh Baby" by the Stones😁)

Anyway, sorry for the diversion, gang- we should probably take the Dead talk to the Dead thread, back to yer scheduled "No Quartah" discussion...

20 minutes ago, Nutrocker said:

Yep...sadly.

I admit I have little interest in solo Garcia but I do want track down a show or two from when he had Nicky Hopkins playing keys with him (1975, I think it was) just because I love Nicky's playing on anything, with anybody (even his cheesy sounding organ work on "Cherry Oh Baby" by the Stones😁)

Anyway, sorry for the diversion, gang- we should probably take the Dead talk to the Dead thread, back to yer scheduled "No Quartah" discussion...

Oh man I love a lot of the JGB stuff. He did a lot of great covers and that band was darn tight. 'Dear Prudence' was always particularly good.

I digress...

On the topic of NQ, I was listening to the version from 3/3/75, which I haven't heard for a long time, and hadn't maybe listened to more than once or twice, and by George, it's a great version. Features longer than usual interplay between Bonham and Jones, really groovy stuff! If I'm not mistaken, this was the first show Jonesy used the piano as opposed to the electric piano for the middle section I think. Anyway, I encourage all of my fellow NQ fanatics to revisit this version, it really is quite stellar.

Oh man I love a lot of the JGB stuff. He did a lot of great covers and that band was darn tight. 'Dear Prudence' was always particularly good.

I digress...

On the topic of NQ, I was listening to the version from 3/3/75, which I haven't heard for a long time, and hadn't maybe listened to more than once or twice, and by George, it's a great version. Features longer than usual interplay between Bonham and Jones, really groovy stuff! If I'm not mistaken, this was the first show Jonesy used the piano as opposed to the electric piano for the middle section I think. Anyway, I encourage all of my fellow NQ fanatics to revisit this version, it really is quite stellar.

A great version indeed.  That whole show is Top 10 for '75 to me.  Bonham is killing it and it has a fun, fresh vibe.  As for the introduction of the grand piano, that would be the show before Ft. Worth in Baton Rouge (although my guess is it was really Houston and we just don't know since there's no recording of course).

5 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

A great version indeed.  That whole show is Top 10 for '75 to me.  Bonham is killing it and it has a fun, fresh vibe.  As for the introduction of the grand piano, that would be the show before Ft. Worth in Baton Rouge (although my guess is it was really Houston and we just don't know since there's no recording of course).

Ah yes Baton Rouge, of course! Another great show.

I'll also give an honourable mention to 27/6/77, which I just finished listening to. One of the longer versions ever played, features a nice piano solo by Jones and Jimmy's solo is quite fluid and pleasing too. The little jam right before the end of his solo section is nice, I wish it went on a bit longer than a few bars.

It's been a treat over the past couple of weeks revisiting a lot of these shows and Zeppelin in general. I haven't really listened to them in years since I burned myself out on the band in my late teens/early 20s when I almost exclusively to Zep. Now at the age of 30 it's been great revisiting and remembering just why they have been my favourite band for over a decade.

1 minute ago, tom kid said:

I'll also give an honourable mention to 27/6/77, which I just finished listening to. One of the longer versions ever played, features a nice piano solo by Jones and Jimmy's solo is quite fluid and pleasing too. The little jam right before the end of his solo section is nice, I wish it went on a bit longer than a few bars.

It's been a treat over the past couple of weeks revisiting a lot of these shows and Zeppelin in general. I haven't really listened to them in years since I burned myself out on the band in my late teens/early 20s when I almost exclusively to Zep. Now at the age of 30 it's been great revisiting and remembering just why they have been my favourite band for over a decade.

A great one indeed.  Second-longest...about 30 seconds behind 6/22 and a minute ahead of 6/26!  I love the jam at the end as well.

It's definitely nice when they run you over all over again after some time away.