Paul McCartney's Supergroup

Balthazor

I don't know that this is "news" exactly, but I came across this on Ultimate Classic Rock and found it amusing:

That “square one,” in McCartney’s eyes, meant avoiding the opportunity to enlist big-name musicians. Wanting to feel like part of a real band again, he sought out less established players — perhaps to a fault. “We were terrible. We knew Linda couldn’t play, but she learned, and looking back on it, I’m really glad we did it,” he said. “I could have just formed a supergroup, and rung up Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page and John Bonham.”

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-mccartney-forming-wings/

Definitely provides an insight into who McCartney thought were the best musicians at that time. :)

I doubt Page and Bonham would have answered the phone given that Led Zeppelin's star was rising pretty high in 1970-71.

McCartney purposely decided to go low key  for the first post-Beatles tour by traveling around in a bus and stopping by universities and asking if he and his makeshift band could play for them. 

Clapton played with Lennon at the Toronto Peace Festival in Sept 1969, and it was right after that he told the rest of the Beatles that he quit the band. Clapton was also considered by Lennon as a fill-in when Harrison briefly left the Let It Be sessions.

I guess it's nice to be wanted! 

Thanks for posting that Balthazor. Interesting to see that his opinion has not wavered! I've always thought the reference in Rock Show was an amazing tribute to Jimmy Page.

"Rock Show" (Lyrics)

[snip]

What's that man movin' 'cross the stage?
It looks a lot like the one used by Jimmy Page
It's like a relic from a different age
Could be, ooh-ee

[snip]

Songwriters: Paul Mc Cartney; Linda Mc Cartney.

Eric Clapton was pretty much under Robert Stigwoods control and he wanted him to be a solo act  he was also in the throes of a very bad heroin addiction. Stigwood was pretty much a puppeteer and had Clapton by the short ones with a long term contact.  From what I understand (remember) from the book, Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominoes where not meant to last. Duane Allman's death was pretty much when the Dominoes fell even though i'm assuming it was a two album deal because they put out a hastily thrown together live album from a Fillmore East Gig.

Interesting thing I recently learned, I went to see Tedeschi Trucks a couple of weeks ago and they did  "Have You Ever Loved A Woman" and his wife said " Derek is named for Derek (Clapton) of the Dominoes."

Led Zeppelin was a BAND in every sense of the word. No one was greater than it's sum. And I agree no one was leaving to run off with Paul .

Archived