Does anybody know what Magic Mike looks like?

Why wouldn't people defend Mike Millard? His contribution to the Live Archive of Led Zeppelin is unparalleled...with the possible exception of the early Rubber Dubber/TMOQ guys who taped earlier shows such as "Blueberry Hill".

As I said, the proof is in his tapes. I have seen some of the actual tapes. The writing and artwork are all consistent and all point to the work of a huge fan. These aren't the tapes of someone looking to score a quick buck on the bootleg market. There is a care taken with the markings and labels, etc., that only a true obsessive would take the time for.

A security man or maintenance worker? How come we never hear any walkie-talkie chatter then? Those guys always have their two-ways squawking...if they were taping it would show up on the tape. You never hear a peep from Mike...he is quiet. Another sign of his dedication. 

The ticket stubs are another sign that it wasn't a security or maintenance guy...they would not have tickets as they are employees.

Well of course your right.  I'm sure people will defend Hay Zeus and Moses as well, and I'll be the rotten a@@hole who dare question the anointed.

Obviously a phantom person did all this but it's not what I'm saying. 

According to this Website - Mike Millard graduated 1969 in Chattanooga Tennessee 

http://www.rbhs69.com/ybook_6.htm

Edited by TheGreatOne

11 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Unsure what you expect to find 25+ years after the man's death. Unsure why you can't accept at face value what his friends and associates have said. Then again, I'm biased as I know some of them.

OK, I believe you! From your postings here and elsewhere you are clearly immensely knowledgeable and it seems well-connected.

This would put you in an excellent position to answer my earlier question, which I note you didn't answer. Was Millard his real surname?

10 hours ago, Strider said:

Never ever heard of Mike Millard referred to as 'Magic Mike'. Never.

As for proof, some of you sound as if you still wouldn't believe it even if substantiated evidence was submitted. The proof for me is in the tapes themselves.

A roadie?!? Hahaha...please. The Millard tapes all have a consistent sound and a consistent recording point from the audience. A roadie would have been too busy with his job to be standing out in the audience with a tape tecorder. He would have been a FIRED roadie very quick.

Also, roadies worked the whole tour not just one city. The Millard tapes cover the shows Mike attended in Southern California. If it was a roadie, where are the similar tapes for Philadelphia, Chicago, New York, Dallas, Baton Rouge, Seattle, Vancouver?

Why is the wheelchair trick so hard to believe for some of you? It's perfect genius in its perfect simplicity.

So now we're into doubting and bashing Mike Millard? Good luck with that.

Wow, this really touches a nerve doesn't it? I'm not bashing anyone. Those tapes are amazing, and whoever recorded them did a 'bloody good job', as I posted earlier.

I just find the whole story, as told in say the article link posted above, to be inconsistent and implausible. It looks suspiciously to me like a deliberately vague and unfalsifiable cover story for whoever was doing the taping.

There need be no great consipiracy here, just a group of tapers in a fairly small area who didn't want their identities & activities discovered. Nothing surprising or unreasonable about that.

OK, if people have private personal testimony etc etc, that's all well and good, but it doesn't begin to qualify as evidence. To address another of your points, yes, If any evidence were submitted, I would welcome it and happily believe it. As an 'outsider' interested in Zep from an historian's point of view, I think the whole thing looks like an urban myth. Religions have been founded on less!

9 minutes ago, Crimson Avenger said:

Wow, this really touches a nerve doesn't it? I'm not bashing anyone. Those tapes are amazing, and whoever recorded them did a 'bloody good job', as I posted earlier.

I just find the whole story, as told in say the article link posted above, to be inconsistent and implausible. It looks suspiciously to me like a deliberately vague and unfalsifiable cover story for whoever was doing the taping.

There need be no great consipiracy here, just a group of tapers in a fairly small area who didn't want their identities & activities discovered. Nothing surprising or unreasonable about that.

OK, if people have private personal testimony etc etc, that's all well and good, but it doesn't begin to qualify as evidence. To address another of your points, yes, If any evidence were submitted, I would welcome it and happily believe it. As an 'outsider' interested in Zep from an historian's point of view, I think the whole thing looks like an urban myth. Religions have been founded on less!

There is no conspiracy (or urban myth), if anyone is conspiring  it's you.  Stop trying to pollute the LONG KNOWN facts with bullshit....

8 minutes ago, JTM said:

There is no conspiracy (or urban myth), if anyone is conspiring  it's you.  Stop trying to pollute the LONG KNOWN facts with bullshit....

Another touchy response. I take it you have no evidence either for these LONG KNOWN facts?

2 minutes ago, Crimson Avenger said:

Another touchy response. I take it you have no evidence either for these LONG KNOWN facts?

You're just a shit stirrer, we know what we know so why do you feel the need to dig for something you're not going to find.......

5 minutes ago, JTM said:

You're just a shit stirrer, we know what we know so why do you feel the need to dig for something you're not going to find.......

I make a couple of observations regarding my thoughts on a topic which has always intrigued me, and all you can do is be personally abusive.

I'll leave it to others reading this to draw their own conclusions as to who is being reasoned and reasonable here.

21 minutes ago, TheGreatOne said:

I love every bit of this thread now.  How exactly can you back up a "Known Fact" with no direct proof of these facts?

Gawd blimey, don't you guys ever shut up. Just accept it that Mike Millard recorded some great sounding audience tapes....You don't happen to be a Holocaust denier as well do you....

Wow, talk about much ado about nothing. Maybe someone can start a thread about Magnet's workout regiment or Miss Sapphire's favorite brand of douche and we can all argue about that as well.

2 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

I love every bit of this thread now.  How exactly can you back up a "Known Fact" with no direct proof of these facts?

BLASPHEMER!!

How DARE you deny the DIVINITY of the MILLARD and HIS MAGIC MIKE?

BOW before HIS mighty CHAIR and TREMBLE at the LONG KNOWN FACTS!

LEST you be CAST into the FIRE of ETERNAL TORMENT and 1977 NOISE SOLOS!

OK, I'm sorry, I'm taking the piss at this point, but really there seems little else to do, short of shutting up. Which leads me to this...

1 hour ago, JTM said:

Gawd blimey, don't you guys ever shut up. Just accept it that Mike Millard recorded some great sounding audience tapes....You don't happen to be a Holocaust denier as well do you....

This is a public forum. For people to, you know, discuss things. I'll happily be proved 100% wrong about anything, as my posts in this thread and others prove. But I won't be told to shut up, and I won't be told what to think. And I can't help but note that in addition to being shit stirrers, people who dare ask questions are now Holocaust deniers it seems. What next, child rapists? Bon Jovi fans?

Try developing a sense of perspective, huh.

Ah look, life's too short. I piled in with what I thought was an inocuous observation/question about happenings a long time ago, in the hope of learning from people who know more than I do. But It seems this is an issue which inspires some sort of deep emotional attachment and a brick wall response. If I have somehow offended anyone by doing so, it was not my intention and I apologise for that. I won't return to this topic on here again. Not because I was told to shut up, but because I've made my observation which people can judge on its merits or otherwise, and there's no profit to anyone in going on about it. I'm off to listen to 06.21.1977, that very fine recording.

43 minutes ago, Crimson Avenger said:

BLASPHEMER!!

How DARE you deny the DIVINITY of the MILLARD and HIS MAGIC MIKE?

BOW before HIS mighty CHAIR and TREMBLE at the LONG KNOWN FACTS!

LEST you be CAST into the FIRE of ETERNAL TORMENT and 1977 NOISE SOLOS!

OK, I'm sorry, I'm taking the piss at this point, but really there seems little else to do, short of shutting up. Which leads me to this...

This is a public forum. For people to, you know, discuss things. I'll happily be proved 100% wrong about anything, as my posts in this thread and others prove. But I won't be told to shut up, and I won't be told what to think. And I can't help but note that in addition to being shit stirrers, people who dare ask questions are now Holocaust deniers it seems. What next, child rapists? Bon Jovi fans?

Try developing a sense of perspective, huh.

Ah look, life's too short. I piled in with what I thought was an inocuous observation/question about happenings a long time ago, in the hope of learning from people who know more than I do. But It seems this is an issue which inspires some sort of deep emotional attachment and a brick wall response. If I have somehow offended anyone by doing so, it was not my intention and I apologise for that. I won't return to this topic on here again. Not because I was told to shut up, but because I've made my observation which people can judge on its merits or otherwise, and there's no profit to anyone in going on about it. I'm off to listen to 06.21.1977, that very fine recording.

You weren't told to shut up, you were ASKED if you ever shut up. Yeah this is a public forum but  make provocative posts, you'll trigger a response.

Agreed 21 June 77 is a fine Millard recording indeed, one of his best....The very best Millard though is Pink Floyd LA Forum  26 April 75...

The part about taping the mics to his hat, I'm not buying that at all, there were no mics that tiny in the seventies, that sounds like some youngster assuming that was what he did. From the sound quality he used good mics which were big back then. I'm thinking maybe they were taped to the handles of his wheelchair. I also think he stayed seated, a guy getting up from his wheelchair would cause a lot of unwanted attention. Just my two cents, I don't know for sure how he did it of course. From some of the chatter we know he had an assistant...

3 hours ago, JTM said:

You weren't told to shut up, you were ASKED if you ever shut up. Yeah this is a public forum but  make provocative posts, you'll trigger a response.

Agreed 21 June 77 is a fine Millard recording indeed, one of his best....The very best Millard though is Pink Floyd LA Forum  26 April 75...

Too bad the show is dull as dishwater. Lifeless...the exact opposite of 6.21.77 Led Zeppelin. Or 6.23.77, etc.

Okay, let me see if I can understand the gist of the doubter's gripes.

1. Mike Millard doesn't exist.

Because people can't find Mike Millard on the internet via birth certificate or grave marker or high school diploma or whatever, it is assumed he doesn't exist. I guess millenials think if it isn't on the internet it isn't real. 

Well, people existed for centuries before the internet existed. It's entirely possible to live off the grid if you want to, as I am sure someone of Mike Millard's psyche and hobbies would prefer.

So...just because you can't find an address or diploma with Mike Millard's name does not mean there was no Mike Millard. Mike was the name he used in trading circles...it's the name he wrote on his tapes, long before the internet or anyone knew he existed. It is the name credited on the Led Zeppelin DVD.

But, for the sake of argument, let us say that there was no 'Mike Millard'...that it was a made up name.

2. If it is true that 'Mike Millard' was a made up name, people then seem to question the existence of the taper at all...suggesting that it was some security guy, etc., and that Mike Millard was a front.

Well, there is no law against using a fake name when trading tapes. Given the personality types among trading circles, I would be reticent about sharing my personal information, too.

But it has been 40 years now. Given what we know about human nature and conspiracies, nobody can keep a secret. Especially for 40 years.

If Mike Millard was a pseudonym or a front for someone else, someone would have squealed by now.

The doubters claim there is no hard evidence that Mike Millard was the taper. Well, I would counter that there is even less evidence that he was not, whether his name was real or not.

I really don't see it as to Squeal or Captain Kangaroo was the taper.   I'm not fully saying I'm a total denier on everything.   I'm just saying there is a very good chance Mike was part of a 2-3 person team of close friends that could very well be alive or something and Mike was just a made up name..etc

Book authors have used different names before, and even before the internet I've seen people in trading circles get upset and packup and leave.  1988-1990 is also the era CD's were coming out and could have been a FU statement we are done, no more.   Did TDOLZ just packup and leave and possibly, just the tiny weenie bit possible they just changed their name ?  Oh F_ no that is not possible at all

Edited by TheGreatOne

On 6/6/2016 at 4:20 PM, Crimson Avenger said:

Ah, but was Millard his real surname?

Of course it is.

On 6/7/2016 at 6:28 AM, TheGreatOne said:

So the so called insiders know the mom gave Jimmy Page stuff too.  How do we know this for a fact ?  So technically Jimmy Page would know where the mother lives ??

I don't see where that claim has been made here or elsewhere.

23 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

You are correct, too much time has passed and no one will be unable to uncover anything at this point.   The only thing we can do is wait and hope for any other stuff to come out.

I have heard Mike destroyed all of his master tapes before taking his own life, but only whomever had access to his personal possessions would know for certain.

20 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

I find it very amusing and funny random people coming out of the woodwork in aid of his defense though.

Edit:  I said Roadie or something, meaning something filling the void of whatever else.  Maintenance worker or Security...etc, someone local.

Those people aren't random. They're all CA based. Millard was a ticket holder with a talent for recording the shows, no more and no less. Hats off to him.

12 hours ago, JTM said:

JTM, you know it's summer time and a few always come around looking to start some sort of controversy on this site every summer.  Since politics are off the table, another avenue must be tried.... 

According to Zabasearch, there are several Mike Millard's in Tennessee still alive, so that Yearbook may not be the California taper at all.    There is another Mike Millard on Google that looks kinda creepy like Norman Bates,  I had originally thought that was him

23 minutes ago, sk8rat said:

what I find funny is how people are building him up to be some sort of an enigma when really he was just a burnout that happened to record bootlegs. thats pretty much all there is to it.

And you know he was a 'burnout' how exactly?

No, he did not record bootlegs...he recorded concerts and traded tapes among friends but never bootleggers. It was other people who made his tapes available to bootleggers.