Carouselambra

Jukkin

On 6/13/2016 at 2:34 PM, Crimson Avenger said:

I love it too. It's a weird mix, and the lyrics are impenetrable, but it's just so different to anything else, you have to concentrate on it. But that's Zep.

When Page & Plant used the central section as part of In The Evening in 1995/96, it worked absolutely perfectly.

If you find the lyrics difficult to figure out, perhaps this will help...

http://www.oldbuckeye.com/sotd/pdf/SongOfTheDayXCIII.pdf

It is a deep song and, in my opinion, one of Robert's greatest ever for lyrics. It is just... epic!!!

I love the complexity of the song.   The prog rock comment was good.   The disco comment I can't relate to.

Don't get the 'jaunty' thing, but it is a bit droney in the main theme, in a cool way - Eastern music influence, is my guess.

I think in all the years I've owned Carouselambra (i.e. since 1979), I've probably played it all the way through about 3 times.  IMO, it's their worst offering, albeit with some great bits, but as a complete song, bad.  It would never have made it to vinyl had the band been functioning in their normal song-construction format.  Perhaps it would have made it but the finished product would have been quite different.

2 hours ago, NealR2000 said:

I think in all the years I've owned Carouselambra (i.e. since 1979), I've probably played it all the way through about 3 times.  IMO, it's their worst offering, albeit with some great bits, but as a complete song, bad.  It would never have made it to vinyl had the band been functioning in their normal song-construction format.  Perhaps it would have made it but the finished product would have been quite different.

This has to be the funniest post I have ever read.

4 hours ago, NealR2000 said:

This has to be the best post I have ever read. B)

17 minutes ago, juxtiphi said:

Really now?  Sath, Are you suggesting that you don't get the band either?

We've been over this a million times man. :P Cheesy, "jaunty" keyboards, pretentious lyrics which try way to hard, poor mixing, etc. 

Real fans have listened enough to be objective and not just blind fanboys. ;)

1 hour ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

We've been over this a million times man. :P Cheesy, "jaunty" keyboards, pretentious lyrics which try way to hard, poor mixing, etc. 

Real fans have listened enough to be objective and not just blind fanboys. ;)

Right because listening to a large piece of music 3 times over thirty years really gives you a valid opinion on it's merit.

Keep trying I am no fan boy.

Not a big fan of this song either.  I always wondered if it had a better mix (like The Epic, only even heavier) and a better title...the title alone screams "little kiddish".  It is a long song, too long for me.  The released mix is awful, Plant mixed so far down , and Pages riffs, although interesting,  are not a help to the song.  I know some love the tune,  everyone has different tastes. 

8 hours ago, juxtiphi said:

Right because listening to a large piece of music 3 times over thirty years really gives you a valid opinion on it's merit.

Keep trying I am no fan boy.

I didn't realize there was an arbitrary number of listens required to make an opinion. Three seems plenty for someone with an astute ear. 

Carous... Love the song, one of my favorites. Similar to Achilles IMO

I used to fast forward over Hot Dog every time for years - only to finally appreciate it more a decade or so later after I was exposed to more rockabilly.

8 hours ago, riffsofpage said:

Carous... Love the song, one of my favorites. Similar to Achilles IMO

I used to fast forward over Hot Dog every time for years - only to finally appreciate it more a decade or so later after I was exposed to more rockabilly.

The solo to Hot Dog is inspired by Scotty Moore (Elvis' first guitar player) who passed away last week.

I love the song, and I am not a fanboy. Just as someone who does not like the song is somehow not a TRUE Zeppelin fan. We all have opinions and that is what makes the world interesting.

It definitely had the potential to be a much better song had Page been his usual self, building up those layers of guitar tracks.  Jones did what he could given the limitations of studio participation, and we ended up with Jones getting adventurous on his new keyboards in parts where Page should have been.

9 minutes ago, NealR2000 said:

It definitely had the potential to be a much better song had Page been his usual self, building up those layers of guitar tracks.  Jones did what he could given the limitations of studio participation, and we ended up with Jones getting adventurous on his new keyboards in parts where Page should have been.

I think this really sums up the song, great point made. I still love the song however, it could have been so much more, it could have been their finest moment had Page been more present. Then again, maybe that was the intention and the song turned out exactly as all members wanted it to. There is much talk here about how Page was not really there in control etc. but if that was true, how do you explain ITE, Hot Dog, & IGC? The only song I know of that Page had little input was AML, and I believe Page just went with it because he likely felt he owed it to Plant.

Mysteries abound.

On 7/3/2016 at 11:31 PM, Sathington Willoughby said:

While I have a very different opinion of Carouselambra, Sath (I consider it to be on par with other Zep masterpieces like Tea For One, Achilles Last Stand, etc.), I guess that your dislike of this song, has to do with its pretty synth-centric nature, am I right? ;) Similar to your feelings about Rush's 80's output? 

19 minutes ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

While I have a very different opinion of Carouselambra, Sath (I consider it to be on par with other Zep masterpieces like Tea For One, Achilles Last Stand, etc.), I guess that your dislike of this song, has to do with its pretty synth-centric nature, am I right? ;) Similar to your feelings about Rush's 80's output? 

You would be correct, friend. ;)

5 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Apart from being insanely creative and innovative, I really love and cherish songs like Carouselambra, as I believe that it gives fans like me, an insight into what might have been, had Led Zeppelin carried on, well into the 80's. 

If that's true, it wouldn't have been pretty. :P

On 7/3/2016 at 9:28 AM, juxtiphi said:

This has to be the funniest post I have ever read.

On 7/3/2016 at 11:01 AM, Sathington Willoughby said:

Shall we say pistols at dawn? :P

Archived