Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have always hated Carouselambra due to its 'jaunty' sound. Always seemed like there was a great song underneath all the keyboards (sorry JPJ). It seemed so lightweight, at least until Jimmy's guitar section. I bought all the special editions but have only now listened to the ITTOD extras disc. The remix of Carouselambra on there (called The Epic) is a totally different beast. In the first half of the track the keyboards are mixed right down in the mix and so the track sounds like a real Zeppelin track. Zeppelin should never do 'jaunty' so I can't believe the released mix was chosen over 'The Epic.

Edited by Jukkin
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jukkin said:

I have always hated Carouselambra due to its 'jaunty' sound. Always seemed like there was a great song underneath all the keyboards (sorry JPJ). It seemed so lightweight, at least until Jimmy's guitar section. I bought all the special editions but have only now listened to the ITTOD extras disc. The remix of Carouselambra on there (called The Epic) is a totally different beast. In the first half of the track the keyboards are mixed right down in the mix and so the track sounds like a real Zeppelin track. Zeppelin should never do 'jaunty' so I can't believe the released mix was chosen over 'The Epic.

Without a doubt, The Epic mix is much better in every respect. I figured this could have been one of their top 5 songs with some minor tweaks. Change tone of keys and place them lower in mix; change intro to guitar & keys instead of just keys; and bring vocals up in mix. The Epic mix did most of this so I love it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jukkin said:

I have always hated Carouselambra due to its 'jaunty' sound. Always seemed like there was a great song underneath all the keyboards (sorry JPJ). It seemed so lightweight, at least until Jimmy's guitar section. I bought all the special editions but have only now listened to the ITTOD extras disc. The remix of Carouselambra on there (called The Epic) is a totally different beast. In the first half of the track the keyboards are mixed right down in the mix and so the track sounds like a real Zeppelin track. Zeppelin should never do 'jaunty' so I can't believe the released mix was chosen over 'The Epic.

How can you (or anyone) "hate" a Led Zeppelin song?  Regardless if it sounded "jaunty". 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert's voice buried in the mix hurt the song. I wouldn't be surprised if the song's been done without keyboards by cover bands, it would probably have more funk groove to it than disco. They could have also called on ABBA to help out I guess *L* 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2016 at 10:37 AM, kingzoso said:

How can you (or anyone) "hate" a Led Zeppelin song?  Regardless if it sounded "jaunty". 

I've always hated that "Jaunty" sound, it's a relief when the slower melodic part(s) kick in. For years I've been meaning to make an edit without the "Jaunty" part(s), but I can't really be arsed, more often than not I just skip the track altogether, ITOD being my least favourite album.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this song. I love Page's guitar in the second and third parts. Plant said once of the lyrics "The whole story of the latter days of Led Zeppelin is in there but you can't hear it." Or something like that, I am paraphrasing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love it too. It's a weird mix, and the lyrics are impenetrable, but it's just so different to anything else, you have to concentrate on it. But that's Zep.

When Page & Plant used the central section as part of In The Evening in 1995/96, it worked absolutely perfectly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2016 at 7:51 PM, Jukkin said:

I have always hated Carouselambra due to its 'jaunty' sound. Always seemed like there was a great song underneath all the keyboards (sorry JPJ). It seemed so lightweight, at least until Jimmy's guitar section. I bought all the special editions but have only now listened to the ITTOD extras disc. The remix of Carouselambra on there (called The Epic) is a totally different beast. In the first half of the track the keyboards are mixed right down in the mix and so the track sounds like a real Zeppelin track. Zeppelin should never do 'jaunty' so I can't believe the released mix was chosen over 'The Epic.

 

On 6/11/2016 at 5:46 AM, JTM said:

I've always hated that "Jaunty" sound, it's a relief when the slower melodic part(s) kick in. For years I've been meaning to make an edit without the "Jaunty" part(s), but I can't really be arsed, more often than not I just skip the track altogether, ITOD being my least favourite album.

"Zeppelin should never do 'jaunty'..." 

Umm...what does 'jaunty' mean to you? Care to elabor...on second thought, never mind. This song, this album, seems to be a polarizing issue.

Those of us who like it, will always do so...and those who don't, will also continue to do so, no matter the arguments each side brings to the table.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Strider said:

 

"Zeppelin should never do 'jaunty'..." 

Umm...what does 'jaunty' mean to you? Care to elabor...on second thought, never mind. This song, this album, seems to be a polarizing issue.

Those of us who like it, will always do so...and those who don't, will also continue to do so, no matter the arguments each side brings to the table.

That's just about the top and bottom of it, some of us like it some of us don't, I have to be in the mood, ITTOD is not an album to have a "Smoke" to.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This song should be proof how diverse Zeppelin was, like the song or not.   So many people hated the Puff Daddy and Page remake of Kashmir but I thought it was genius and proof how any of Zeppelins songs could be improvised and transformed into never ending chapters of evolving music.  

My least favorite song is probably Candy Store Rock.  It's very flat and dull sounding and a bit annoying

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TheGreatOne said:

This song should be proof how diverse Zeppelin was, like the song or not.   So many people hated the Puff Daddy and Page remake of Kashmir but I thought it was genius and proof how any of Zeppelins songs could be improvised and transformed into never ending chapters of evolving music.  

My least favorite song is probably Candy Store Rock.  It's very flat and dull sounding and a bit annoying

Candy Store Rock is in my Bottom 5 of Zep tunes...along with D'yer M'ker and Moby Dick.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see D'yer M'ker, it's a bit Calypso and Reggae.  Pretty sure it was mentioned Robert wanted or preferred to perform Stairway in a Reggae type of mood.   Moby Dick is not really a song but technically it's put together as one, but sounds more solid over Pat's Delight.   I think the whole Moby Dick and Pat's idea traces back to Band Of Joy era

Link to post
Share on other sites

Polarizing topic for sure. It took me some time to appreciate and love the album.

I remember as kid when all the older guys were saying " Zep sucks" "sell outs" "disco".

Initially when I first heard it I thought it was pop-ish until I caught on to what Bonzo was doing on that album. Easily his most refined and complex drumming. Southbound is probably among my least favorite song but I focus on Bonzo's playing. Genius. Putting Kashmir aside, I think it his most inventive playing since the fourth album. Even Black Dog and Rock & Roll (on the album) have some complicated rythms   Man, what could have been.

Hot Dog is little quirky but it's a great song and brings some light to what on the surface may seem "jaunty" but at it's core, a very dark album. I'm Gonna Crawl has Robert at his most convicted and digging down in his heart were some of the real painful stuff is. All My Love too. On the 1980 European Tour , Jimmy seldom nailed his guitar flourishes but when he did the song was even more moving. The pain in Roberts voice was so clearly evident. Listen to the Frankfurt Show.

Carouse was to be a centerpiece of the "new" show. They rehearsed that heavily but it never came together. I would imagine if an 81 tour took place they would have had it by then. just spectacular. Perhaps less would have been more when playing that one live. I am very surprised that Page And Plant didn't dig it out in some form during 95-98 and even more surprised Roberts new band hasn't tried it. 

I have to wonder if the album wasn't finished being mixed or needed some more dubbing at the time of Bonzo's death and had not been released. Then the whole thing was set aside. and released  as a boxed set along with the Coda stuff  when the newest remasters came out.

Would it be viewed differently?

Nevertheless, as it stands I take it a blessing. A great album that shows a tremendous amount of growth at a time when there was  great turmoil in the band.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

Carouse was to be a centerpiece of the "new" show. They rehearsed that heavily but it never came together. I would imagine if an 81 tour took place they would have had it by then. just spectacular. Perhaps less would have been more when playing that one live. I am very surprised that Page And Plant didn't dig it out in some form during 95-98 and even more surprised Roberts new band hasn't tried it. 

I always thought Carouselumbra would have been a cracking closing track at O2. The ultimate "finishing unfinished business" treat that would have blown all of us away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rm2551 said:

I always thought Carouselumbra would have been a cracking closing track at O2. The ultimate "finishing unfinished business" treat that would have blown all of us away.

That would have been awesome.

I was hoping for I'm Gonna Crawl.

They started the concert with song 1 Album 1 and finishing with IGC would have been the end parenthesis.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been listening to both mixes in car lately.

i agree in general, it's a great great song but would benefit from the guitars and Plants vocals coming up in the mix.

i guess I'm a pirate since I like the jaunty ol sea shanty arrrrrrrrr

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Carouselambra is my 4th favorite Zep song following "Hey Hey What Can I Do" number 1, "Traveling Riverside Blues" number 2, and "When the Levee Breaks" as my number 3

 

Highlights of the song for me:

  • Bonham's drum roll (or whatever it's called) at 1:07 and at 6:28
  • Robert's yelled echo at 6:31
  • Jimmy's guitar throughout it's entirety (specially it's echoing sound, like at 4:24 )
  • Jones' synths
  • Song's length
  • The overall deep sound, complexity, plus the power of it

I have always felt that this is the closest that Zeppelin ever came to Prog. Rock. 

I have been a major Zeppelin fan since 1980, and off the top of my head there are only about three songs from them that I have never liked: Candy Store Rock, Moby Dick and some other one that I can't remember.

I have been out of the Zep loop for awhile, so I am eager to check out this *Epic* mix that you guys have mentioned.

Edited by Duffy12
added content
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Duffy12 said:

 

Carouselambra is my 4th favorite Zep song following "Hey Hey What Can I Do" number 1, "Traveling Riverside Blues" number 2, and "When the Levee Breaks" as my number 3

 

Highlights of the song for me:

  • Bonham's drum roll (or whatever it's called) at 1:07 and at 6:28
  • Robert's yelled echo at 6:31
  • Jimmy's guitar throughout it's entirety (specially it's echoing sound, like at 4:24 )
  • Jones' synths
  • Song's length
  • The overall deep sound, complexity, plus the power of it

I have always felt that this is the closest that Zeppelin ever came to Prog. Rock. 

I have been a major Zeppelin fan since 1980, and off the top of my head there are only about three songs from them that I have never liked: Candy Store Rock, Moby Dick and some other one that I can't remember.

I have been out of the Zep loop for awhile, so I am eager to check out this *Epic* mix that you guys have mentioned.

 

The Epic has a much better sound overall. Listen on headphones for a 3D sonic experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...