Deluxe editions etc

riffsofpage

There was an interview posted on the board last year or the year before where jimmy Page was asked about doing something similar with The Firm that he did with the Led Zeppelin re-issues. I looked through the Jimmy Page 2015 interviews thread but couldn't find it. He seemed a little interested in it from what I remember reading.

Outrider was originally to be a double LP. (One electric and one acoustic) Unfortunately, those demos were stolen (along with the 1980 Tour Over Europe soundboards?) and Jimmy started from scratch. The only extra track that I know is that he recorded Train Kept A Rollin.

How popular are those albums ? I see it as a lot of work for little reward. The Firm Albums seem to be have been better received than Outrider. But I can't see anyone breaking the bank for any of them.

I love some of the instrumentals on Outrider and the Prison Blues song.

I never got the Firm. I wasn't expecting a Zep album or a Bad Co. album   I was hoping for some straightforward hard rock.

I recall hearing Radioactive on the radio prior to the release and didn't know what to make of it.

I have a Firm boot and even live I just didn't  love it.

I wish Jimmy would do something with the tours he and Robert did from 95 thru 98. He was at his best since 73-75. Particularly 98.

Steve Albini  is my favorite person in the world but a lot of the Clarksdale stuff  from 98 is smoking. In addition you have all the orchestral stuff that would sound awesome on a proper live release 

On June 20, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Stairway is NOT stolen said:

I don't think anything from Outrider would be released, as there are no Demo tapes, and I don't think any of the Outrider tour was recorded

I can't believe that post-Zeppelin JP, with all his experience, wouldn't record each show and save experimental material.  

• 1 month later...

Agreed that the Firm and Out rider seem a bit unloved even by Zep fanatics.Personally I loved both but even I would balk at laying out $ for expanded,remastered editions of these albums.

• 1 month later...
On 24 June 2016 at 1:27 AM, Jimmywalnutz said:

How popular are those albums ? I see it as a lot of work for little reward. The Firm Albums seem to be have been better received than Outrider. But I can't see anyone breaking the bank for any of them.

He did do a deluxe reissue of death wish 2 and lucifer rising recently 

I think a much better Deluxe Edition would be a reissue of Walking into Clarksdale. There are two great studio tracks - the non-album b-side "The Window" and the Japan CD bonus track "Whiskey from the Glass." Plus the 1998 Page and Plant tour was the best thing since 1973 Zeppelin, and we know the March 25 '98 London show was professionally recorded (because 3 tracks showed up on a Japanese CD single/EP of Shining in the Light), as was their final performance together, an excellent 4-song mini-set at the Paris Amnesty International benefit show in December of '98 (which tracks only ever were released on the DVD from that show).

Hell, he could make it a Super Deluxe and also include a newly remixed version of the album itself as well. That way it wouldn't sound like crap.

I would totally be on board for that.

Archived