Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Levee

Who was or is the coolest person in music?

I vote for Courtney Love for driving Kurt Cobain to commit suicide and thus killing the grunge movement.

RjK

Coolest People In Rock

Weird Al Jankovic / Devo / Thomas Dolby / Gary Numan / Men Without Hats / Kajagoogoo

Rick James / Wham / Bananarama / Duran Duran / Boy George / Thompson Twins /

Pat Benetar / Cheap Trick / Chumbawumba / Wang Chung / Joe Jackson / Toni Basil

Yes, of course I'm kidding.

4 of my mom's favorite bands. I am not kidding, no matter how much I wish I was.

4 of my mom's favorite bands. I am not kidding, no matter how much I wish I was.

If George Michael and Andrew Ridgely ever reform Wham you and everyone else will forget all about Led Zeppelin and the bloody Beatles.

No I will not. Zep comes first. I can't stand my mom's music. I don't care if I ever hear Boy George again.

I vote for Courtney Love for driving Kurt Cobain to commit suicide and thus killing the grunge movement.

RjK

I don't know how much credit she can claim for it. It seems he was basically a weak person his whole life. Definately one of the most overated musicians of the past 25

years. An MTV-driven hype through and through.

I don't know how much credit she can claim for it. It seems he was basically a weak person his whole life. Definately one of the most overated musicians of the past 25

years. An MTV-driven hype through and through.

Nirvana were going to break through to a larger audience with or without MTV. That they put Teen Spirit into heavy rotation early on certainly didn't hurt matters any but their success wasn't just because of MTV.

RjK

Can't say I buy into that theory at all. As for "grunge", so you'd rather have "hair metal"? I'll take Pearl Jam, the Melvins, Nirvana, Mudhoney, Alice In Chains, etc. any day of the fucking week over Cinderella, Bon Jovi, Poison, Warrant, Slaughter, Winger or any of that crap.

Can't say I buy into that theory at all. As for "grunge", so you'd rather have "hair metal"? I'll take Pearl Jam, the Melvins, Nirvana, Mudhoney, Alice In Chains, etc. any day of the fucking week over Cinderella, Bon Jovi, Poison, Warrant, Slaughter, Winger or any of that crap.

I'll second that Emotion!!!! Any Fucking day of the week :D

The coolest guy in classical music (living, anyway), Gergiev:

20070406_valery_gergiev_9.jpg

And I think it's extremely cool that he won the Polar music prize alongside Zep last year. Hope I get to see some of his Mahler cycle with the LSO at the Barbican this year--the 5th would be most fab.

lquote.gif The coolest rock star in the world, ever is... Me! "I mean, right, it goes without saying really, doesn't it? I mean I don't think I'm cool, it's other people that tell me I'm cool, I'm just being who I am. Just be yourself is all I can say, the rest of it's a fucking joke. 'Elegantly wasted' blah-blah-blah, I've had all of that. If you've gotta be cool be cool with yourself. If you've gotta think about being cool, you ain't cool."

-Keith Richards

I guess that settles it,huh?

B)

Joe Strummer

Ian Brown

I almost forgot about that post.

Anyway, I'd like to add Lou Reed to the list

Easily

2ivid13.jpg

Since Mark Mothersbaugh brought back nerds as being cool, he was such a trendsetter. What was once geeky is now cool. Who'd have thought?

Hard thing...

Jimi Hendrix?

Keith Emerson?

Or maybe Frank Zappa?

(Not to talk of Jimmy Page...)

No, I think it is John Lennon.

I agree about John Lennon and the two Jimmys.

But I would have to say

VivStanshall.jpg

He could sing like Noel Coward one minute and than change to Elvis the next. Plus no one else is famous for their huge octagon glasses!

Edited by aen27