Who was or is the coolest person in music?

Levee

Muddy Waters.

Obviously.

muddy%20waters%2005.jpg

I'll drink to that! :beer:

While we're on non-rockstars, I would just like to add that I think George Strait is a totally pimpin' badass. B)

george_strait_22.jpg

Tim McGraw wishes he was this fly.

Um, anyway, back to rock & roll...I think this has to go to Keith Richards. No matter what you think of the guy, you can't ignore that the man has basically defined "coolness" for at least two generations after him. And despite having left behind a good portion of his brain cells in the '70s, he's still out there kicking ass and having fun today. If Keith ain't one of your influences, I don't care to listen.

Funny no one mentions Syd Barrett.

Anyone who writes a song about a guy sniffing girls' undies after stealing them off a clothesline gets my vote :rolleyes:

Wasn't "Arnold Layne" about cross-dressing? Roger Water's mother frequently reported her clothes stolen from the line, and Barrett was found in women's clothes on occasion. Can you imagine Roger Waters finding him wearing his mother's stuff? I'll bet he would say "dude, this is NOT cool"!

• 1 month later...
Wasn't "Arnold Layne" about cross-dressing? Roger Water's mother frequently reported her clothes stolen from the line, and Barrett was found in women's clothes on occasion. Can you imagine Roger Waters finding him wearing his mother's stuff? I'll bet he would say "dude, this is NOT cool"!

No it was a about a guy stealing womens clothing from the washing line, watch the video on the internet.

Oh....Nigel Tufnel is the coolest :lol:

• 1 year later...

Frank Sinatra. He was the epitome of cool. He wore cocked fedoras, suits and ties in the studio and had one of the smoothest, most seductive voices to ever come out of someone's throat. Even before the Rat Pack and Vegas, he was cool.

There's "rock star" cool, there's "hipster" cool and then there's actual cool.

frank_sinatra_2-600x413.jpg

Some of my most prized vinyl isn't Pink Floyd, it's Sinatra. My dad doesn't even have In The Wee Small Hours on vinyl, but I do. Don't think he's not jealous. ;)

rick_danko.jpg

Rick Danko

I ain't living like I should.

A little rest might do me good.

Got to sinking in the place where I once stood.

Now I ain't living like I should.

Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold.

Maybe I can only hear it in my head.

Fifteen years ago we owned that road

now it's rolling over us instead.

Richard Manuel is dead.

Jason Isbell © House Of Fame Music (BMI)

From the Drive-By Truckers album The Dirty South

DANKO / MANUEL

"Got to sinking in the place where I once stood." ***

Jason Isbell When I started writing this one, I wanted to capture some of Levon Helm's feelings about the deaths (and lives) of Richard Manuel and Rick Danko. The longer I worked on the song, the more impossible that became. I felt like the best I could do was to explain my own attitude toward being a working and traveling musician.

The horn parts came to me in a dream.

Archived