Best version of each song played at Earls Court?

I am looking to compile a list of the best performance of each song from Earls Court (of course discounting the extra encores from the 25th). These aren't the band's best shows from 1975, but there I think  there are still good, even great parts each one. I know the show from the 25th is considered best, but even that show is inconsistent, particularly for Plant.

I suspect the 24th will dominate this list, for obvious reasons.  From this show, I'd say D&C is one of the best versions from all of '75, after the 2nd night in Seattle.  Compact (by '75 standards) and fluid, a very impressive performance.  TU is devastating, and STH is simply beautiful.  Tangerine is also flawless.

NQ is where things get interesting.  While it's hard to argue against the 24th, I would have to go with the 17th, it's a really unique performance, a precursor to '77 versions.

Agree for the most part. I'd add that Tangerine from the 24th is the only one available in soundboard (or in this case, video soundtrack, but close enough) quality. It's also a beautiful performance.

Also agree that D&C from the 24th is epic. 

IMHO there's no point in messing around with the songs that appear on the LZ DVD. The sound quality is so good, and the performances are also very good to excellent.

I also like Kashmir from the 25th. 

I'm only familiar with the 2 Earl's Courts that were recorded & in most cases, I think I might say the 25th was superior to the 24th, or now that I'm thinking about it, I might call it a draw.

Certainly--in my view--No QuarterIn My Time of DyingThe Rain Song, and Trampled Under Foot  were better on the 24th, but there were other tracks like Kashmir OTHAFA that were better the next night....

Anyway, enough of my rambling...

You people are sleeping on the May 18th show. I would take just about every song up to and including Dazed and Confused from this night over the others. Jimmy's playing is practically flawless and Plant's voice is in excellent form. Even Rock and Roll doesn't suffer from Plant's usual opening hoarseness.

OTHAFA is fantastic...Jimmy is really flying on the solo and Bonham is making like Animal...as is a rampaging TSRTS and a fluid Rain Song. Again, no voice cracks from Mr. Plant. Bonham and Jones are superb throughout.

No Quarter is a beauty on the 18th...maybe only the 24th equals it during the EC run. But as a listening experience, I prefer the excellent atmospheric audience tape of the 18th over the thin dry soundboard of the 24th. The drums and bass sound better and have more presence on the audience tape than the soundboard. For some reason, the Earl's Court soundboards sound distant compared to the 1975 US soundboards.

The difference really is telling on the acoustic set. On the 18th audience tape, the guitars ring and have a solid presence and you can actually hear all the backing vocals on Tangerine and That's the Way. Plant does an outstanding job making the acoustic set feel intimate. His singing on That's the Way is the best of the week...at the end he does a soaring moan that even seemed to surprise himself.

The only quibble I could find is a couple timing issues at the end of the solos in OTHAFA and IMTOD where Bonham misses his cue.

I am willing to concede Trampled Underfoot, Stairway to Heaven, and the encores to the May 24 or May 25 shows. But to my ears, the May 18 show owns everything from Rock and Roll to Dazed and Confused.

I should probably add as a FYI...my listening source for May 18 is EVSD's "No Quarter - In Association With Red Devil" 4-Disc set (it could have fit on 3).

noquarter_devil_f.jpg

Thanks Strider for info on the best version of R&R. RP's voice cracks are, IMO, the main reason these shows could be so inconsistent. If one member of the band performed as inconsistently as Robert did, they would often drag down the energy of the whole band with them. One just really wishes that he would have warmed up like a true professional singer (no offense, I usually love his singing), or that they would have opened with something easier to sing (like TSRTS/TRS or TKAR).

On 7/12/2016 at 0:31 AM, paul carruthers said:

I'm only familiar with the 2 Earl's Courts that were recorded & in most cases, I think I might say the 25th was superior to the 24th, or now that I'm thinking about it, I might call it a draw.

Certainly--in my view--No QuarterIn My Time of DyingThe Rain Song, and Trampled Under Foot  were better on the 24th, but there were other tracks like Kashmir OTHAFA that were better the next night....

Anyway, enough of my rambling...

The main thing that bothers me about the 24th is that RP doesn't really fully warm up until after Kashmir. It really feels like the band hit their stride in NQ. And dat scream from RB before the 2nd verse...amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

For No Quarter I would say either the 18th or the 23rd, the 18th, is probably the slickest of all the EC shows I'd say, not wasted playing or rambling. The 23rd is the opposite being much longer and I think having some of JPJ's best soloing ever.

On 13 July 2016 at 2:56 PM, Strider said:

You people are sleeping on the May 18th show. I would take just about every song up to and including Dazed and Confused from this night over the others. Jimmy's playing is practically flawless and Plant's voice is in excellent form. Even Rock and Roll doesn't suffer from Plant's usual opening hoarseness.

OTHAFA is fantastic...Jimmy is really flying on the solo and Bonham is making like Animal...as is a rampaging TSRTS and a fluid Rain Song. Again, no voice cracks from Mr. Plant. Bonham and Jones are superb throughout.

No Quarter is a beauty on the 18th...maybe only the 24th equals it during the EC run. But as a listening experience, I prefer the excellent atmospheric audience tape of the 18th over the thin dry soundboard of the 24th. The drums and bass sound better and have more presence on the audience tape than the soundboard. For some reason, the Earl's Court soundboards sound distant compared to the 1975 US soundboards.

The difference really is telling on the acoustic set. On the 18th audience tape, the guitars ring and have a solid presence and you can actually hear all the backing vocals on Tangerine and That's the Way. Plant does an outstanding job making the acoustic set feel intimate. His singing on That's the Way is the best of the week...at the end he does a soaring moan that even seemed to surprise himself.

The only quibble I could find is a couple timing issues at the end of the solos in OTHAFA and IMTOD where Bonham misses his cue.

I am willing to concede Trampled Underfoot, Stairway to Heaven, and the encores to the May 24 or May 25 shows. But to my ears, the May 18 show owns everything from Rock and Roll to Dazed and Confused.

I should probably add as a FYI...my listening source for May 18 is EVSD's "No Quarter - In Association With Red Devil" 4-Disc set (it could have fit on 3).

noquarter_devil_f.jpg

Bloody hell! Thanks for the tip Strider. I only had the soundboard sources for the later dates of the EC concerts. This was primarily as I hadn't heard any decent quality audience sources for any of the dates. I must have missed this one. 

I have never really enjoyed the EC shows that I had. The soundboard sources just sounded dead. So I never really got into them. Not a frequently played of mine.

Just listened to the audience source for the 18th through headphones whilst on my road bike. Terrific sounding source and terrific gig. Certainly puts one of the gigs at EC in a new light for me

Thanks buddy 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2016 at 1:56 AM, Strider said:

Amen to that!  18th is my favorite show over all. No Quarter is one of the all time best versions to my ears. 

On 7/29/2016 at 8:59 PM, Xolo1974 said:

Bloody hell! Thanks for the tip Strider. I only had the soundboard sources for the later dates of the EC concerts. This was primarily as I hadn't heard any decent quality audience sources for any of the dates. I must have missed this one. 

I have never really enjoyed the EC shows that I had. The soundboard sources just sounded dead. So I never really got into them. Not a frequently played of mine.

Just listened to the audience source for the 18th through headphones whilst on my road bike. Terrific sounding source and terrific gig. Certainly puts one of the gigs at EC in a new light for me

Thanks buddy 

15 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Amen to that!  18th is my favorite show over all. No Quarter is one of the all time best versions to my ears. 

I am always happy to turn people on to the May 18 EC...to my ears one of the most consistent high quality gigs they played not only that week, but for the entire year of 1975. A Desert Island Show, for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 7:56 AM, Strider said:

Are we talking SB's with EC or some kind of multi track? to me they clearly sound better than your typical 75 SB's, much better balanced and less dry if perhaps not quite as punchy at points. That said I do tend to agree the audience recording gives you more of a sense of space and power, my old Immigrant version of the show is definitely my most listened to EC recording. I'm the same with the US shows, Millard's audiences tape are by far my most listened to.

I'd agree as well that the 18th has the strongest opening third of the show and generally I think if the recording was there it would make for the best official release if Page wanted to put out a single show. The "epics" tend to be a bit tighter and to the point than the following nights, that version of No Quarter again really does deserve an official release.

Going back to the OT, personally I'd just limit it to the last couple of nights to keep the sound quality similar.

• 7 months later...

I've always been in the minority when it comes to the 24th show. To me, that is actually a fairly sloppy performance with some good moments (Stairway, D&C, WLL, TUF, NQ). If we're talking strictly soundboards, here's what I would say:

Rock and Roll - 25th

Sick Again - 25th

Over the Hills and Far Away - 25th

In My Time of Dying - 25th

TSRTS - 25th

The Rain Song - 25th

Kashmir - 25th

No Quarter - 24th

Tangerine - 24th

Going to California - 25th

That's the Way - 25th

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp - 25th

Trampled Under Foot - 25th

Moby Dick - 25th

Dazed and Confused - 24th

Stairway to Heaven - 24th

Whole Lotta Love - 25th

Black Dog - 25th

Heartbreaker - 25th

Communication Breakdown - 25th

If we're including the audience tapes as well, I'd keep everything from Stairway onwards, as well as TSRTS and The Rain Song, as is. As for the rest of the compilation, I have to agree with Strider. The May 18th show finds the whole band in good form. Plant's voice was in the best shape for the whole week. Definitely an underrated show, and one of the best of 1975. 

12 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

I've always been in the minority when it comes to the 24th show. To me, that is actually a fairly sloppy performance with some good moments (Stairway, D&C, WLL, TUF, NQ). If we're talking strictly soundboards, here's what I would say:

Rock and Roll - 25th

Sick Again - 25th

Over the Hills and Far Away - 25th

In My Time of Dying - 25th

TSRTS - 25th

The Rain Song - 25th

Kashmir - 25th

No Quarter - 24th

Tangerine - 24th

Going to California - 25th

That's the Way - 25th

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp - 25th

Trampled Under Foot - 25th

Moby Dick - 25th

Dazed and Confused - 24th

Stairway to Heaven - 24th

Whole Lotta Love - 25th

Black Dog - 25th

Heartbreaker - 25th

Communication Breakdown - 25th

If we're including the audience tapes as well, I'd keep everything from Stairway onwards, as well as TSRTS and The Rain Song, as is. As for the rest of the compilation, I have to agree with Strider. The May 18th show finds the whole band in good form. Plant's voice was in the best shape for the whole week. Definitely an underrated show, and one of the best of 1975. 

I agree with this, wholeheartedly. In addition, the 25th soundboard on the version I have sounds slightly better than my version of the 24th, so added bonus for sound quality. I think both the 24th and 25th are kinda sloppy, but what Jimmy did with the Earls Court tracks on DVD might just be the best "frankenstein" of all time, for a live group. Simply stunning. I hope one day we get a whole Earls Court show proper release in that same fashion. Might be even better release than DVD was. Unless we get Pontiac '77. That will always be my first choice... BUT

Strictly performance wise, the best shows are the 17th-23rd. Hope we get some official/official downloads of those gigs warts and all as audio releases. !!!!!!!!!!!! B)

I have a couple of questions about Earls Court...

What's the best version of 18th to get? I can't get my head round the different sources (if there are different sources??) and releases. I've got Black Dragon Blue Axe, which seems OK, but I'd love a better version if it exists.

When and on what songs did Jimmy use the blue strat? Nobody seems to quite know.

4 hours ago, Crimson Avenger said:

When and on what songs did Jimmy use the blue strat? Nobody seems to quite know.

He used the Strat on OTHAFA on the 18th (only song he used it on that day that I am aware of). He used it also on OTHAFA & NQ on the 23rd. Check out the 23rd versions of both songs, the Strat sounds better, works better, and has Jimmy playing better for those two songs. In fact the 23rd NQ is my favorite version of the song and Jimmy's playing is on a whole other level, just amazing.

As an aside, most Zep songs sound better with the LP due to the tone, however both OTHAFA & NQ actually sound better and the tone of the Strat WORKS better on those two songs. Other songs where the Start would have worked / sounded better than the LP: Celebration Day, Dancing Days, Houses of the Holy, NFBM (he used the strat for the solo in the studio), FYL (he used the strat on the whole song in the studio).

Makes me wonder as I can't see Page using the Strat on OTHAFA & NQ, doing such a great job and thinking, "Wow, I really played the shit outta those tunes on the Strat...well, I will never do THAT again." Wonder why he never used it again live except for ITE?

On 7/13/2016 at 2:56 AM, Strider said:

noquarter_devil_f.jpg

I gotta say, I listened to TSRTS from this show today for the first time in a long time and was floored by it.

Page's playing was flawless.

and I LOVE the sound of Bonham's vistalites in this audience recording. Nice, warm, full, FAT sound.

16 hours ago, IpMan said:

He used the Strat on OTHAFA on the 18th (only song he used it on that day that I am aware of). He used it also on OTHAFA & NQ on the 23rd. Check out the 23rd versions of both songs, the Strat sounds better, works better, and has Jimmy playing better for those two songs. In fact the 23rd NQ is my favorite version of the song and Jimmy's playing is on a whole other level, just amazing.

As an aside, most Zep songs sound better with the LP due to the tone, however both OTHAFA & NQ actually sound better and the tone of the Strat WORKS better on those two songs. Other songs where the Start would have worked / sounded better than the LP: Celebration Day, Dancing Days, Houses of the Holy, NFBM (he used the strat for the solo in the studio), FYL (he used the strat on the whole song in the studio).

Makes me wonder as I can't see Page using the Strat on OTHAFA & NQ, doing such a great job and thinking, "Wow, I really played the shit outta those tunes on the Strat...well, I will never do THAT again." Wonder why he never used it again live except for ITE?

Cheers, yes, 23rd is my favourite too, although 18th is a very strong second. It's tantalising that pro audio and video should exist for 23rd at least.

I too would love to know the story behind the blue strat. He seems to have used strats in the studio quite often.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 6:02 PM, St Tristan's Sword said:

The main thing that bothers me about the 24th is that RP doesn't really fully warm up until after Kashmir. It really feels like the band hit their stride in NQ. And dat scream from RB before the 2nd verse...amazing.

The main thing that's always bugged me about the 24th is how sluggish Bonham comes across in the first 1/3 of the show.  Sounds like some of it can be attributed to the recording... his toms just don't come thru very well, at all.  And some of it is definitely on Bonzo (he completely leaves out his snare/cymbal fill right before Page's first solo in Sick Again and is late on several cues. He also leaves that snare/cymbal fill out the next night, but the next night's playing is high energy compared to the 24th). 

That said... There are no better versions of TU and STH than what were played on the 24th.  Why Page hasn't put out at least the pro recording audio is beyond me. Those two tunes are simply fabulous and his solo in STH is some of the best guitar work I've ever heard.

If they only pro-recorded the last 2 nights you could easily put together a best of complete show that would absolutely kick ass.  The first half of the 25th, the middle portion of the 24th (NQ, TU, D&C & STH) and then the encores from the 25th.  That'd be a phenomenal 3 plus hours of music.

5 hours ago, Crimson Avenger said:

Cheers, yes, 23rd is my favourite too, although 18th is a very strong second. It's tantalising that pro audio and video should exist for 23rd at least.

I too would love to know the story behind the blue strat. He seems to have used strats in the studio quite often.

Word is there was a bass drum mic malfunction on the 23rd, which didn't record any of Bonham's bass drum.  Not sure it that's true or not. 

• 1 month later...

Having just finished listening to all five Earls Court shows on their respective anniversaries, I think I would categorize them this way:

May 17: Unjustly ignored--definitely has its bright spots, and no really bad parts to my ears at least.

May 18: Best, tightest, highest energy, most consistent.

May 23: Seems to be a bit underrated, might be the most experimental of the five.

May 24: Severely overrated. Starts out downright lacklustre--I almost turned it off--then has some bright spots in the middle before heating up with TUF and smoking the rest of the way, highlighted by all-time great versions of Dazed & Stairway.  What amazes me is that people often cite the NQ from this night as one of their all-time favourite versions--I have tried repeatedly to see what all the fuss is about, and I actually would list it as one of the very few versions of that song that I actually dislike if anything.  The other nights, even the 17th, all have great versions of NQ!

May 25: Justly praised, and unjustly critiqued by some die-hards.  The recording doesn't do it any favours, as Bonham's drums are too low and thin in the mix, especially the bass & toms.  This really is an inspired performance though for the most part, and while I personally prefer 3/27/75, 5/25/75 may well be the best of the three marathon tour/leg closers of the mid-latter days (3/27/75, 5/25/75 & 6/27/77).  I only wish that the Dazed from the 24th was the 25th instead, as it would have been a more fitting send-off for what may be their signature live song.

21 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Having just finished listening to all five Earls Court shows on their respective anniversaries, I think I would categorize them this way:

May 17: Unjustly ignored--definitely has its bright spots, and no really bad parts to my ears at least.

May 18: Best, tightest, highest energy, most consistent.

May 23: Seems to be a bit underrated, might be the most experimental of the five.

May 24: Severely overrated. Starts out downright lacklustre--I almost turned it off--then has some bright spots in the middle before heating up with TUF and smoking the rest of the way, highlighted by all-time great versions of Dazed & Stairway.  What amazes me is that people often cite the NQ from this night as one of their all-time favourite versions--I have tried repeatedly to see what all the fuss is about, and I actually would list it as one of the very few versions of that song that I actually dislike if anything.  The other nights, even the 17th, all have great versions of NQ!

May 25: Justly praised, and unjustly critiqued by some die-hards.  The recording doesn't do it any favours, as Bonham's drums are too low and thin in the mix, especially the bass & toms.  This really is an inspired performance though for the most part, and while I personally prefer 3/27/75, 5/25/75 may well be the best of the three marathon tour/leg closers of the mid-latter days (3/27/75, 5/25/75 & 6/27/77).  I only wish that the Dazed from the 24th was the 25th instead, as it would have been a more fitting send-off for what may be their signature live song.

I would agree with just about all of this. I halfway agree with you on NQ on the 24th. It's a solid version, and it's nice to see video of the band playing it (as well as having the recording be a complete soundboard as opposed to the 25th where it cuts out), but it's NOT an all time great version, imo. I've always been puzzled when I see people praise the 24th as a whole so highly. When I first read about Earls Court on Wikipedia, I thought from the description "God, those shows must have been amazing!" Then, I saw Rock and Roll from the 24th on YouTube and thought "THIS is what is considered by some to be the best of their career?!" The first half of that show is downright lackluster, as you said.

• 1 year later...

I was partially inspired by this thread to make an Earls Court compilation using the two "soundboards" (technically video soundtracks) from the May 24th and 25th shows. 

I tried to make the songs flow together to make it sound like one big concert or live album. There is an abrupt edit that I was forced leave in for the beginning of Going to California, as the "soundboard" for that song cuts in quite suddenly.

For the May 24th show, I used my own personal remaster, which used Watch Tower's "To Be a Rock and Not to Roll" as a basis. I made a minor splice to Empress Valley Supreme Disc's "Evoluzione" for Plant's banter after Tangerine since it contains more of the "soundboard". 
For the 25th, I used Liriodendron's "Keep Taking The Pills".

All songs are complete and unedited, with the edits occurring between songs (barring Going to California as mentioned above).

Here is my track listing (I made a few adjustments since I posted my original track listing a year and a half ago :P):

1. Intro - 25th

2. Rock and Roll - 25th

3. Sick Again - 25th

4. Over the Hills and Far Away - 25th

5. In My Time of Dying - 25th

6. The Song Remains The Same - 25th

7. The Rain Song - 24th

8. Kashmir - 25th

9. No Quarter - 24th

10. Tangerine - 24th (blocked in the video due to copyright. See below for download link)

11. Going to California - 25th

12. That's the Way - 25th

13. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp - 25th

14. Trampled Underfoot - 24th

15. Moby Dick - 24th

16. Dazed and Confused - 24th

17. Stairway to Heaven - 24th (partially edited in the video due to copyright, see below for download link)

18. Whole Lotta Love - 24th

19. Black Dog - 24th

20. Heartbreaker - 25th

21. Communication Breakdown - 25th

FLAC Download Link (including Tangerine and all of Stairway): https://mega.nz/#F!G6Rl2YKR!SkAXwjjYcqhT95z2h6CAog

Archived