Why People Shouldn't Be Pressured To Like "New" Music/Movies/Etc.

MortSahlFan

I talk online a lot, and it's funny how people are defensive about whatever is going on nowadays. Some will incorrectly say "You only like that stuff and reject new stuff because of nostalgia" and it's incorrect, because I'm 33, but of course they can't tell by the text or font.

It's also been a business, but at least before, the guys who ran the show loved music and movies. But as time went on, it became a business, and music didn't matter, only profits did.

A tiny part of it was all the greats who died, including our very own John Bonham. Keith Moon had just died, and Lennon was murdered in 1980, but there was still enough. The music started becoming more and more fake sounding - drum machines (if only Bonzo could have broken a few thousand of those and set a precedent), auto-tune (you don't even need to sing in tune anymore), computer programs, etc... it's endless... Take the humanity out of music and you have nothing.

Image plays a big role. With MTV and video in general, everyone became sexier. When you listened, you only had your ears, you weren't distracted by big breasts, etc.. And everything went into that direction, the loud reverb on the snare drum, the fake "heroics" and everyone went that way - gimmick.

I won't even get to the allusion part, or notoriety, because there aren't enough characters. But with certain names, a guy (say Paul McCartney) could release an album of garbage, and have it sell a ton of copies, and having a ton of people say how great it is, or intellectualize it.

I was born in 1982, and I don't like one band that started after. Hell, you can take one year, say 1970, and you have dozens of amazing bands. I know people personally who will use the affirmative action tactic.. When the standards are so low, any band that doesn't use fake stuff are considered "geniuses" -  but you can't compare the quality or how it moves you to the previous stuff. It's still what people love, even those like me who weren't alive, but the music was and will always be alive. If anything, people like "new" stuff because it's what is around. People who make money or are looking to make money in the business can't say bad things about popular bands, or about every band that's around now because they wouldn't get any access.

Musicians who defend it are usually guilty of being lazy.. Why spend 20+ years practicing when a machine can do it all? They have programs that can make the fake sound real, which is sad. I know of a Zep fan whose husband said they were forced to use auto-tune.. I know it's frustrating playing for peanuts, but how can some people piss on music, something that has enhanced your life all these years. Treat art right. Be your own man (or woman) and play from the heart.

The whole image based crap is one of the reasons I started avoiding tv, and rather find bands who can play real music at underground festivals.

There are plenty of acts who transmit the right kinda vibe, but it seems they just get ignored by the media who just want to sell as much bullshit from one ready made artist, until they replace them with the next equally talentless "genius". Nope, it has nothing to do with music anymore (in fact most modern singers even sound alike due to their auto-tuned voices), it's no longer quality that counts, but rather quantity.

Fuck that, and buy yourself a ticket to an Earthless concert, to see that music still lives.

And yeah, in some way I also miss the seeds of rebellion against the monsters who shove shitty music up our throats....

(just like The Smiths sung: Hang the DJ)

I'm still waiting for someone to throw some eggs at Kanye West for the next time he fucks up a classic song by not even knowing the lyrics.

42 minutes ago, reswati said:

I'm still waiting for someone to throw some eggs at Kanye West for the next time he fucks up a classic song by not even knowing the lyrics.

The problem is they wouldn't know he fucked them up! :slapface:  The people who follow him are just about as shallow as he is....

9 hours ago, Strider said:

Back in yer cave, gramps.

Hi Strider. I really enjoy reading your posts on the forums and you're one of my friends around here and I am certainly not trying to pick a fight with you or anything, but I strongly feel that the comment you made in your post, is a typical example of an adverse comment that serves no purpose at all, except for reinforcing the resistance / hesitation to explore new things (like new music). Trust me, I am speaking from my own life experiences.

I was bullied a heck of a lot, both in middle school and high school. Even to this day, I don't like reliving those years in my life (the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th grades were the worst and the bullying finally stopped in the 11th and 12th grades). Believe it or not, it hurts even today. You might wonder what on earth I am trying to say, so please do read the rest of my post. 

There were a few of us so-called 'socially inept' kids who were just discovering the magic of Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Who, CSNY, Pink Floyd, Cream, etc. It was because of this, that the so-called confident, extroverted (bordering on arrogant) and 'popular' kids used to laugh at us constantly and call us names such as grandma, old bitch, dowdy old hag (the list goes on and on and on). It was painful at first, but as we got older, we used to rebel and one day, I actually mustered up the courage and told some of the mean girls and guys to 'fuck off and get off your high horses and stop acting as if the music you listen to, is far cooler and superior to what my friends and I listen to'. As if being a teenager and experiencing an awkward phase wasn't bad enough, but being picked on for something so subjective such as looks, clothes and music tastes, was the icing on the cake.

Needless to say, these experiences had a deep negative impact on me, for quite a while. I was restricting myself to music that had its origins in the 50's 60's, 70's and 80's. I was resistant to explore new music. It almost became like an anathema, for you see, whenever I came across / heard words like new music, mainstream, current, etc.I was reminded of all the hurtful things that were said to me in high school. Maybe I am making a big deal out of nothing and maybe I shouldn't be so sensitive and that words are just words, but that's who I am and I have no problems in admitting it. If that makes me look weak minded, then so be it. Anyway, as a result, my attitude for years, was 'Fuck what's cool. Fuck what's current. I will be 'old' and 'dowdy', because that's who I bloody am!'. I wish that I had never adopted that kind of an attitude to begin with, but hey, I guess life is all about learning, growing and evolving. :) 

And yes, Sath made an excellent point in his post on this thread that people who are hesitant to give new music a try, are unfortunately missing out on a lot of great bands. I discovered that fact, right after joining these forums about 6 years ago. Joining these forums has made me much more open to try out new things. Hell, I have even come to like genres which I previously couldn't even wrap my mind around. I have discovered 100's of new bands, either through forum threads, or through last.fm or through random articles from websites like teamrock.com or through emails from a friend (such as yourself - Black Angels, King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard B) ) or through Youtube's brilliant recommended for you mechanism, etc. You never ever know what you might find next! :D 

Anyway, again, I hope you don't mind that I am speaking up like this. I am by no means trying to lecture you and I am certainly not trying to equate you to all those awful people I encountered in high school. No way in hell!

It's just that your post did remind me of some of the 'not so nice' comments, that were made at my expense, in high school. I am not trying to be rude or pedantic or prudish or anything. I am just trying to express my perspective on things, based on some stuff that happened in my life. I do hope you understand. I come in peace. :peace: 

I'm 33, and I have many friends who listen to Radiohead, and just a general variety of bands, just never liked them.

NO ONE is going to deprive themselves of enjoyment.. I don't care what it is, either the music moves me or it doesn't, but if 99% of the stuff I love was made before I was born, then I'm going to listen to "new" (music I haven't heard) stuff from the 60s and 70s. It's that simple. I want to go with the odds.

No one ever seems to name bands. I'm gonna post the music around 1970 for example, give or take a few... pink floyd, beatles, Doors, zeppelin, who, Supertramp, steely dan, ELO, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath, Neil Young, David Bowie, Marley, Stylistics, Stones, America, Hendrix, Dylan, John Lennon solo, Elton John, Billy Joel, Delfonics, Jefferson Airplane, Alan Parsons Project, Cream,  Rush, Genesis (Peter Gabriel era), Dire Straits, The Police, Jethro Tull, Wings, CSNY, Bee Gees, Carpenters, ABBA, Eric Clapton

2 hours ago, MortSahlFan said:

No one ever seems to name bands. I'm gonna post the music around 1970 for example, give or take a few... pink floyd, beatles, Doors, zeppelin, who, Supertramp, steely dan, ELO, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath, Neil Young, David Bowie, Marley, Stylistics, Stones, America, Hendrix, Dylan, John Lennon solo, Elton John, Billy Joel, Delfonics, Jefferson Airplane, Alan Parsons Project, Cream,  Rush, Genesis (Peter Gabriel era), Dire Straits, The Police, Jethro Tull, Wings, CSNY, Bee Gees, Carpenters, ABBA, Eric Clapton

Nirvana, Tool, Primus, Metallica, Stevie Ray Vaughan, The White Stripes/Jack White, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, Outkast, Green Day, R.E.M., Prince, Michael Jackson, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Black Keys, Oasis, Alice in Chains, Godsmack, Sonic Youth, Guns and Roses, Rage Against the Machine, Queens of the Stone Age, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, U2, Sublime, NIN, System of a Down, Public Enemy, NWA, Weezer...

9 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Hi Strider. I really enjoy reading your posts on the forums and you're one of my friends around here and I am certainly not trying to pick a fight with you or anything, but I strongly feel that the comment you made in your post, is a typical example of an adverse comment that serves no purpose at all, except for reinforcing the resistance / hesitation to explore new things (like new music). Trust me, I am speaking from my own life experiences.

I was bullied a heck of a lot, both in middle school and high school. Even to this day, I don't like reliving those years in my life (the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th grades were the worst and the bullying finally stopped in the 11th and 12th grades). Believe it or not, it hurts even today. You might wonder what on earth I am trying to say, so please do read the rest of my post. 

There were a few of us so-called 'socially inept' kids who were just discovering the magic of Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Who, CSNY, Pink Floyd, Cream, etc. It was because of this, that the so-called confident, extroverted (bordering on arrogant) and 'popular' kids used to laugh at us constantly and call us names such as grandma, old bitch, dowdy old hag (the list goes on and on and on). It was painful at first, but as we got older, we used to rebel and one day, I actually mustered up the courage and told some of the mean girls and guys to 'fuck off and get off your high horses and stop acting as if the music you listen to, is far cooler and superior to what my friends and I listen to'. As if being a teenager and experiencing an awkward phase wasn't bad enough, but being picked on for something so subjective such as looks, clothes and music tastes, was the icing on the cake.

Needless to say, these experiences had a deep negative impact on me, for quite a while. I was restricting myself to music that had its origins in the 50's 60's, 70's and 80's. I was resistant to explore new music. It almost became like an anathema, for you see, whenever I came across / heard words like new music, mainstream, current, etc.I was reminded of all the hurtful things that were said to me in high school. Maybe I am making a big deal out of nothing and maybe I shouldn't be so sensitive and that words are just words, but that's who I am and I have no problems in admitting it. If that makes me look weak minded, then so be it. Anyway, as a result, my attitude for years, was 'Fuck what's cool. Fuck what's current. I will be 'old' and 'dowdy', because that's who I bloody am!'. I wish that I had never adopted that kind of an attitude to begin with, but hey, I guess life is all about learning, growing and evolving. :) 

And yes, Sath made an excellent point in his post on this thread that people who are hesitant to give new music a try, are unfortunately missing out on a lot of great bands. I discovered that fact, right after joining these forums about 6 years ago. Joining these forums has made me much more open to try out new things. Hell, I have even come to like genres which I previously couldn't even wrap my mind around. I have discovered 100's of new bands, either through forum threads, or through last.fm or through random articles from websites like teamrock.com or through emails from a friend (such as yourself - Black Angels, King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard B) ) or through Youtube's brilliant recommended for you mechanism, etc. You never ever know what you might find next! :D 

Anyway, again, I hope you don't mind that I am speaking up like this. I am by no means trying to lecture you and I am certainly not trying to equate you to all those awful people I encountered in high school. No way in hell!

It's just that your post did remind me of some of the 'not so nice' comments, that were made at my expense, in high school. I am not trying to be rude or pedantic or prudish or anything. I am just trying to express my perspective on things, based on some stuff that happened in my life. I do hope you understand. I come in peace. :peace: 

Well, that certainly is a lot of words in response to what was an off-the-cuff remark.

I understand and sympathize with where you are coming from and am happy you have reached the confidence to speak out on matters that annoy you.

As a way of explanation, I would like to address a few points.

1. My post was in response to MortSahlFan not Sathington Willoughby. I agree with Sath, so if he took offense and thought I was directing that towards him, that was not the case and I apologize for the confusion.

2. MortSahlFan was born in 1982. Which makes him over 30 years old. Which means he should be able to withstand the good-natured ribbing and banter that occurs in life...whether it is on the internet or at a bar. Now, if I know someone is a kid or the extremely sensitive type, then I always try to recalibrate my verbal approach to their needs. 

As those who have been on here a while know, I not always serious...I like to come here and have fun and shoot the breeze. Like you would with your pals at a pub. Sath, ebk, Nutrocker, Walter, paul carruthers, chiillumpuffer, Rick, redrum, Dd, Deborah, and you have all been at the end of one of my barbs...and vice versa. We blow off steam and kid around, no harm done.

If someone does feel harm, however, then they are free to tell me so and I will stop. Since you have now done so, I will remind myself to treat you with more care.

3. MortSahlFan made a thread about being "forced" to like new music, etc. I don't know what he means by forced...did someone put a gun to his head and force him to listen to the new Adele cd? I have never felt "forced" to listen or like anything. It is called free will.

4. MortSahlFan feels pressured to like new things. But there are just as many people on the internet whose tired schtick is "Everything was better in the old days. Kids today suck." I feel sorry for people who close themselves off to anything post-1975 or post-1980 or any arbitrary line.

That was the point of my joking response.

35 minutes ago, Strider said:

I don't know what he means by forced...did someone put a gun to his head and force him to listen to the new Adele cd?

It seems that radio and TV took care of that. For months, everywhere I went I could hear that 'Other Side' song or whatever the hell it's called.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Well, that certainly is a lot of words in response to what was an off-the-cuff remark.

I understand and sympathize with where you are coming from and am happy you have reached the confidence to speak out on matters that annoy you.

1. My post was in response to MortSahlFan not Sathington Willoughby. I agree with Sath, so if he took offense and thought I was directing that towards him, that was not the case and I apologize for the confusion.

2. MortSahlFan was born in 1982. Which makes him over 30 years old. Which means he should be able to withstand the good-natured ribbing and banter that occurs in life...whether it is on the internet or at a bar. Now, if I know someone is a kid or the extremely sensitive type, then I always try to recalibrate my verbal approach to their needs. 

As those who have been on here a while know, I not always serious...I like to come here and have fun and shoot the breeze. Like you would with your pals at a pub. Sath, ebk, Nutrocker, Walter, paul carruthers, chiillumpuffer, Rick, redrum, Dd, Deborah, and you have all been at the end of one of my barbs...and vice versa. We blow off steam and kid around, no harm done.

If someone does feel harm, however, then they are free to tell me so and I will stop. Since you have now done so, I will remind myself to treat you with more care.

3. MortSahlFan made a thread about being "forced" to like new music, etc. I don't know what he means by forced...did someone put a gun to his head and force him to listen to the new Adele cd? I have never felt "forced" to listen or like anything. It is called free will.

4. MortSahlFan feels pressured to like new things. But there are just as many people on the internet whose tired schtick is "Everything was better in the old days. Kids today suck." I feel sorry for people who close themselves off to anything post-1975 or post-1980 or any arbitrary line.

Thank you for your very detailed response, Strider. I really appreciate it. Whenever something is bothering me, whether it's in real life or in a forum, I do speak up. It's been hard for me, but I have mustered up the courage, over the years. I don't hide my feelings or pretend. I can be brutally frank, to a fault. 

I know that your post was in response to the OP and not Sath. I understood that. I'm sorry for the mix up. 

In terms of music tastes, as you very well know, I was like the OP for sometime because of some not so nice experiences, but I changed as soon as I joined a forum like this one. 

I too just like to come here just to relax and have a few laughs. If you know me at all, you must have deciphered by now, how silly I can be on threads. Sometimes, I really do push the boundaries when it comes to my sense of humour. It can even border on being highly politically incorrect. Besides, can you name anyone here who has a picture of Daffy Duck as their forum avatar around here, apart from moi?! Think about it! I challenge you! :P You can ask Sath. He'll tell you tons of stories about my misadventures in the humour department. ;) 

As for treating me with extra care and altering your posts to suit my needs, well, that's nice of you, but you really don't have to do that at all. In fact, to be honest, I would very much appreciate it if you treated me like you treat everybody else on this forum! :) Sure, I can be sensitive. But that is not the essence of my personality. There is so much more to me, than that.

People fight. People argue. People rant. People rave. People joke. And like some poster once said (don't remember who it was), 'Shit happens in the heat of the moment'. That's the game of life. 

Consider my ranting post to you, to be equivalent to this:

As for this thread, well, the only sensible thing to do at this point is to provide a list of bands that I discovered that are less than 20 years old. 

Here is a list of some of the bands that I discovered, through the years (off the top of my head - I might be able to come up with more names later on):

The Hellacopters

Burning Saviours

Graveyard

Witchcraft

Witch

Kadavar

The Black Keys

The Black Angels

Blues Pills

Radio Moscow

The Rasmus

The Sadies

Dorothy

Asteroid

Radio Moscow

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

Gunslinger

HIM

The Lennon Claypool Delirium

The Last Internationale

I could post a list but in the end, it is all subjective. Judging from his previous responses, MortSahl has already made up his mind so I doubt any further recommendations would do any good.

I mean, Sathington posted a pretty good list and all Mort could come back with was he heard a few songs from Thriller. Prince alone is more interesting than half of the stuff on Mort's list. I would certainly rather listen to Prince than Billy Joel, America, and Eric Clapton. Same goes for Sonic Youth.

But that's just me. ;)

5 hours ago, Strider said:

"Let's get things nice and sparkling clear"

MortSahlFan was born in 1982. Which makes him over 30 years old. Which means he should be able to withstand the good-natured ribbing and banter that occurs in life...whether it is on the internet or at a bar. 

"I'm not responsible for the feelings of others. Everyone is expected to understand , respect and adhere to my definition of good natured ribbing"

Now, if I know someone is a kid or the extremely sensitive type, then I always try to recalibrate my verbal approach to their needs. 

"Don't worry. If I deem you're not at my level i can adjust and be even more condescending"

I like to come here and have fun

"At your expense, if necessary"

"If I go too far pushing your buttons, let me know and i'll try to remember to take your boundaries under consideration"

MortSahlFan made a thread about being "forced" to like new music, etc. I don't know what he means by forced...did someone put a gun to his head and force him to listen to the new Adele cd? I have never felt "forced" to listen or like anything. It is called free will.

"I could have chosen to respect another's perspective, but I decided to employ my freewill and mock it"

I feel sorry for people who close themselves off to anything post-1975 or post-1980 or any arbitrary line.

"I pity those who don't mirror my thoughts and opinions. It would be easier for others if they just agreed with me unconditionally. 

"Effective humor doesn't need an explanation, but unfortunately this is all I've got"

21 hours ago, Strider said:

Nice to know I have my own personal annotator/stalker.

This is what liberal thinking has gotten us. A  person who makes a joke is not joking anymore, instead, they are an ignorant neandertal who needs to be scolded and taught a lesson by the far more intelligent among us who feel an injustice has been done the minute they see something "THEY" don't like.

Run to your safe spaces everybody or you may be subjected to off the cuff humor.

Archived