New Album

Dharmabum

A new album is what I need. Get those creative juices flowing! According to Jimmy, he's already got some ideas. And Bob would be able to move forward without feeling like he's re-living the past. I believe in them. Walking into Clarksdale was good. Not consistantly great but hey, it wasn't Zeppelin. In other words, there is something in the name. When the four of them get together, they'll come up with great stuff. How can they not after the energy of the O2 performance?! In any event, there has been something significant missing from rock music for the past 28 years. If Zep were to reform as a unit...the whole is greater than the sum of its parts...the world would be a better place.

Robert has said over the last few years that in order for Zeppelin to go out touring again that they would have to do something new. I would imagine one of the main reasons the tour is happening LATE next year or in the second half is because they are doing a certain something something in the studio in the first part of the year before John Paul Jones produces Sarah Watkins' solo l.p. and Plant tours with Krauss. Let's wish the best of health to everyone for years to come for all great things and possiblities!

I like your optimism, but you're wrong.

A new album is what I need. Get those creative juices flowing! According to Jimmy, he's already got some ideas. And Bob would be able to move forward without feeling like he's re-living the past.

Robert would feel like he's just revisiting the past, so you've hit a dead end there.

I believe in them. Walking into Clarksdale was good. Not consistantly great but hey, it wasn't Zeppelin. In other words, there is something in the name. When the four of them get together, they'll come up with great stuff. How can they not after the energy of the O2 performance?!

Why do you act like they'll without a doubt come up with something great? Other than Robert they haven't really been writing much over the last 25 or so years, and in Robert's case his bandmates are as much a part of the writing if not more than Robert. And the "energy" of the reunion concert means nothing, as how you play old material does not pertain to how you will write new material.

In any event, there has been something significant missing from rock music for the past 28 years. If Zep were to reform as a unit...the whole is greater than the sum of its parts...the world would be a better place.

Once again you've committed senseless hyperbole. Zeppelin was a great addition to rock music, but music has not been lacking because there has not been new Zeppelin material. It seems you assume that had they continued on they would have continued to put out great albums, which probably would not have happened, certainly not at a rate similar to the seventies. And furthermore, the whole "greater than the sum of their parts" thing is just ridiculous. They were great because they had the talent, not because some divine force or some other entity caused these people to perform better than they were otherwise capable of. I don't know how old you are, but it seems like you are looking at the matter through kid glasses.

Once again you've committed senseless hyperbole. Zeppelin was a great addition to rock music, but music has not been lacking because there has not been new Zeppelin material.

I agree. Artists come and go, Led Zeppelin just so happened to be one of them. It's not like if they record some new material they're suddenly going to "save rock n' roll". Speaking just for myself, I've had no problem seeking out new and challenging music for now on close to 4 decades.

I think that new material is the key... it would be the energy behind any kind of shows or whatever. Page dropped the fact that he has written some songs in one of the interviews that was posted on the old board. He said something like, -he doesnt want to put it on a solo album. I go to -walking into clarksdale and -zooma etc. alot as a -led zep fan....some new material would be better than a "reunion tour".

I agree. Artists come and go, Led Zeppelin just so happened to be one of them. It's not like if they record some new material they're suddenly going to "save rock n' roll". Speaking just for myself, I've had no problem seeking out new and challenging music for now on close to 4 decades.

I don't think anyone is thinking about "saving rock music"...just being fans, thats all.

I think had Walking Into Clarksdale never happened, prospects would be better. I think Robert is a little wary about a new album because of how poorly that was received. Whether it's justified or not, in the eyes of the public, it sent the message that the members of Zeppelin can't come together and write music that compares favorably to the past. So if they put the LZ imprint on it then certain expectations have to be met. They have to really rise to the occasion and have something to say creatively. I know Robert got pretty decent reviews for Mighty Rearranger, but Raising Sand is nothing but a very well crafted series of cover tunes. Yet it's being promoted as a bold musical statement.

I'm interested in new material more than anything else. I would love a new release from them.

I've always been sceptical that it would ever happen,until what has transpired recentley.

And I disagree with most of what get the led out said,dose'nt make much sense.

To this day I believe that No Quarter and Walking Into Clarksdale SHOULD have had JPJ and Jason Bonham included.

No Quarter could have been the catalyst that would probably have made Clarksdale a better record had JPJ and Jason been included.

As for new Material: I'm all for it.

I think had Walking Into Clarksdale never happened, prospects would be better. I think Robert is a little wary about a new album because of how poorly that was received. Whether it's justified or not, in the eyes of the public, it sent the message that the members of Zeppelin can't come together and write music that compares favorably to the past. So if they put the LZ imprint on it then certain expectations have to be met. They have to really rise to the occasion and have something to say creatively. I know Robert got pretty decent reviews for Mighty Rearranger, but Raising Sand is nothing but a very well crafted series of cover tunes. Yet it's being promoted as a bold musical statement.

I don't know about that...because -walking into clarksdale was a new group, not -zeppelin obviously...the same especially with all of -plant's solo albums. They are albums and you either like them or you don't. Why would -robert plant be worried about the success/acceptance of a new album...they'd all probably rather play in smaller venues, as they are now solo. The 98 shows were amazing and -walking into clarksdale wasnt like any -led zep album...thats a good thing, just like -presence came out of nowhere.

I think MightyRearranger was more like zeppelin than Walking into Clarksdale and for good reason,

I think Robert and Jimmy tried to make a record that was different then a zeppelin record intentionally.

Also without the collaboration of JpJ or even Jason they tend to loose that funky sound that the rythum section always brought to Zeppelin.

-walking into clarksdale wasnt like any -led zep album...thats a good thing

I don't think so. It fails when judged on its own merits. It fails because we know how much better Robert can sing when he works at it, and how much richer the production would have been had Jimmy been in charge. It was a failed experiment which, unfortunately, a lot of people extrapolated as indicative of their creative spark being over.

I don't think so. It fails when judged on its own merits. It fails because we know how much better Robert can sing when he works at it, and how much richer the production would have been had Jimmy been in charge. It was a failed experiment which, unfortunately, a lot of people extrapolated as indicative of their creative spark being over.

I don't think it failed. It has sparks of -zep on -most high...but otherwise has -page and -plant writing and playing. Its not as riff orientated as -zep,the firm and lyrically its different from anything -plant has put out on solo albums. I think its a cool record imo. A second album would have been good and everyone was expecting it. I think, after -unledded...alot of fans took it for granted, myself included. I would have seen many more 98 shows if i knew it was going to end suddenly. But then came -zooma and -page/black crowes....so i wasnt really that bummed out.

Well ain't over till Plant says it's over. They did after all get together after Live Aid at Peter Gaberial's studio for a week, and Plant said things were really taking off on the 2nd and 3rd day. I wonder what they were doing and what would've happened if Tony Thompson (drummer) hadn't had the car accident that put it to a halt.

And during this get together, Robert was playing bass, JPJ on keys. I'd love to have been a fly on that wall

^good point. i think page and plant clicked on songs like -shining in the light, heart in your hand, sons of freedom and most high....but -jimmy may have been more following along and adding, like -in through the outdoor, for -walking into clarksdale, which is always a good thing too, just a different kind of creativity.

I disagree with you on all points except the production. Albini was a bad choice for them (frankly, he's a bad choice period).

Walking into Clarksdale was a very dark personal time for Robert. It's not to be compared for future work. IMO (I seriously doubt he would agree) Jimmy was virtually a session man here.

Walking into Clarksdale was a pretty good album. I think one of the things that detracted from it is that Robert Told Page to keep it simple so the songs were not developed in the Zeppelin Fashion.

In other words Page wasn't aloud to be himself.

Also most of the songs from the album where written during the No Quarter era.

Apparently the whole thing traumatized Plant so much that he suffered writers block all the way til the Mighty Rearranger album.

on The Tour in 1998, thought it was the Songs off of Clarksdale that shined the most when played Live.

I remember after watching the expression on Plants face after they finished one of the new songs, and no one really seemed to care.

I know that Steve Albini mixed the album but wasnt the producers credit shared by Robert and Jimmy? Unfortunately its one of the most horrible sounding records i own - Robert sounds terrible and Jimmy's playing sounds inaccurate and sloppy, most of the time. However, saying that, there's some really strong songs on WIC - the creative spark is definitely still there IMO!

Archived