Little Things You Don't Like About Led Zeppelin?

1 hour ago, Amstel said:

That's The Way

Ten Years Gone

Kashmir

Your Time Is Gonna Come

Ramble On

Thank You

The Ocean

No Quarter

The Rain Song

Trampled Underfoot

IMO, great lyrics.

Absolutely.

Carouselumbra as well.

While not award winners, I think Sick Again tells the groupie story very well and The Wanton Song 'Took my seed from my shaking frame' - got to love that.

The Rover as well. Beautiful.

All this lyric thing is funny at least for me, as when Zep was active all the lyrics were simply not available. A lot of things,

especially Carouselambra in the faster parts, NOBODY knew what was being sung. I agree with the previous posters

pretty much about the better and weaker songs, but a bit like Jon Anderson, Robert or Jon could sing entries out of

the yellow pages and still sound great. Actually in parts of Robert's solo career he is singing some really bizarre lyrics,

but at least he's being creative.

The greatest lyrical prose of all time, I give you Too Loud from Shaken n' Stirred 1985:

You can see it in the paper you can here it in the hall
Just when you didn't want it it's coming through the wall
Sneakin' in the bathroom battering your nose
Creeping in the johnny when you thought it didn't know
'cause you're too loud, too loud, too loud
Yes you're too loud, too loud, too loud
Smile across the front page, across the spread
Vanity the day you're elliptic in your bed,
Oh-oh-oh co-fight, pro-fight, johnny's in a spin
The name they never tell you on the show that never ends
'cause you're too loud, too loud, too loud
Talk to me victor this time!
That's right now hold tightly hold tightly, that's right now
That's right now ha ha ha ha
Staring at the ceiling, tryin' countin' sheep
Alone with indiscretion it's impossible to sleep,
Oh rings on your fingers bells on your toes
You're never there without it if you're ever there at all
'cause you too loud, too loud, too loud you know what?
That's right now
Okay, okay, much consideration to the athenian religion
Has been given to this whole project,
Which can be interchanged by the entire record buying public.
It is not quite inconceivable that it has absolutely nothing,
Absolutely nothing to do with this, sorry,
Absolutely nothing to do without absolutely nothing at all to do with this.
Talk to me victor, talk to me victor.

Robert sure does like to sing about cocaine but that last stanza...priceless.

The most prominent thing I dislike most about Zeppelin is how it all utterly unraveled those last five years... from flying so very, very high (those first seven incredible years and six studio albums, climaxing in the triumph of Earl's Court, an unbroken creative run still unparalleled and unequaled to this day) to sinking so very, very low (rampant substance abuse, tragedy, wanton violence, and death).

They began as the best contemporary band of our lifetime... they ended like it was one of Scorsese's gangster epics; where everything turns dark and tragic (and bloody)... and you just KNOW one of the principal characters isn't going to make it out alive, and so it went, alas...

Some of it was unavoidable tragedy but a lot of it was just plain self-immolation, and that's the biggest regret of all, because had Jimmy's muse not been washed away in a heroin daze and Bonzo not topped himself, there was still great music to be made... not IV  or Physical Graffiti  great, but they absolutely had another Houses of the Holy  left in them, probably after a long hiatus from each other and a reunion in the late '80's or early '90's when Jimmy had conquered his demons and got healthy again... listen to Coverdale/Page  and it's clear he still had the riffs, and with Robert's increasing foray into world music at that time and since, there was still some seriously fantastic music to be made with those four individuals... 'Most High' could have been on Physical Graffiti... there were still whole new sonic textures left to explore.

But Bonzo wanted to drown his sorrows that fateful night...

Plant was a brilliant lyricist in my opinion. Really challenging and unique stuff, especially on the later records. Carouselambra is staggeringly good. Those last two studio albums are an accurate critique of those crazy Zeppelin years lyrically. 

I have tiny peeves with some Zeppelin stuff but lets be honest, there has never been nor will there be a band like them ever again. Suck it all up, warts and all.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2016 at 11:15 AM, SteveAJones said:

White Summer. It may have been interesting circa 1969, but good grief it had no business being performed after 1973, if not 1970.

Amen Mr Jones. . and then having to sit through a "noise solo" for another 15 minuets. . Jeez

• 2 weeks later...

I have loved everything about the band. That is why i am a life-long fan. My only problem has been, There is not enough releases. But there is a massive reason for that. So i cannot complain about anything at all. I am just thankful i have the music available to hear.

On 8/18/2016 at 4:49 PM, truth and beauty said:

OH !  I have only just come across this thread and am almost speechless . But sorry guys, actually not speechless. 

So from this thread, on balance, the Led Zeppelin fandom is expressing the view that the problem with the band is TOO MUCH SEX ?!?!   WTF ??   The sex IS Led Zeppelin and when you talk about the musicality, certainly of early Led Zeppelin, you are talking about the use of (technically brilliant) music as an expression of sex.  

It is lemonsqueezingcrotchgrippinghandwavinggirlsblousewearingposturingmoaninggroaningscreamingoh.my.god.allaboutsex. 

Kellygirl is thoughtful and forgiving enough to think that LZ's sexuality is just a female thing. But that can't be right : how does that expression of red-blooded raw male sexuality - matched totally to their music - NOT work for their male audience ?  

Apart from Kellygirl I am relieved to read the posts of Mithril46, Walter and Blindwillie .. thank you, so I'm not going mad. 

But I'm still reeling a little from some of these comments.  I'm actually really questioning my appreciation of that music... of course some of their songs are not overtly sexual, but I can't imagine not seeing their music through that prism .  Yes, it's quality music.  But if I COULD see it in a more neutered form, I don't think  I could love it so much. 

As Philip Larkin said "  Sexual Intercourse began in 1963 ..  between the end of the Chatterley ban and the Beatles' first LP" .  What happened next ?  Did it END again after thirty years or so ?  

Some of these comments make me wonder ... 

Hi there, I love you!!! Anyway, yes, nice to know I am not going mad, either. Reading the first few pages of this thread was disturbing. But not any more disturbing than watching the news or in general getting the sense of how puritan the Western civilization has become since the 60s and the 70s. It's like all of the emancipation (I prefer to think of it as enlightenment, btw) progress we've made has become pages of the history books again. Total regression. Yes, today we may have some really blatant lyrics in certain genres of music, but I don't look to the 70s and bands like Zep, Stones etc. for an accumulation of F-words so much as Freedom. And that zeitgeist is just gone, IMO. Anyway, so I'm a guy, I'm straight (though it's just genetic in my case and nothing that God prescribed) and no, I've never been bothered by Zep's stage looks or anything Robert wore. It was liberation art, driving a battering ram through the society's norms (like so many other artists from that era, as others in this thread have already noted). As much as I like Zep's music, I don't think I would have liked them nearly as much without the sexed-up image.

What don't I like? Would be nice to have more quality multi-track live recordings, and more professional videos for sure. Otherwise, it was perfect even when they were indulgently tripping their way through half-hour versions of MD, NQ, noise solos etc. And that was liberation art as well.

My 2c.

I agree Plant moans too much.. I think he got bored without having anything to do, even bashing the tambourine during Stairway (what would the song be without the tambourine!)...

Considering it was Jimmy Page, a great producer, it is surprising they didn't have better and more recordings.

About the music, I wouldn't have minded a wider spectrum. Could you imagine a Zep disco song? Even Pink Floyd (Another Brick, Pt 2) had some great "disco" stuff. Also having the greatest drummer, I would have loved some other kinds of beats and rhythms, especially Middle-Eastern stuff since Jimmy and Robert were big fans.. Would also have loved some flamenco/classical/Spanish stuff.

On 7/26/2016 at 9:35 AM, IpMan said:

My only complaint, though not a big one, is I wish they had a somewhat fluid setlist at live shows, 60% set and 40% change from night to night. I know most bands don't and play the same set night after night but...just a thought, and a moot one at that.

Yep!  Most bands have a setlist for the tour but Zeppelin had the skill, as evidenced by Whole Lotta Love, to really stretch out on live jams.

Depends on what you are going to. Some fans go to more than one, So they would benefit from a change in the setlist. I think there is something good about starting and finishing the concert with the same track though. That is almost a tradition from ones i have seen/heard.

That the surviving members completely dismiss In Through The Out Door as an album, even as an achievement:

• no O2 reunion attempts (unforgivable really)
  • minimal live interpretations on solo tours (In The Evening really being the only song from that album to get played after Zep disbanded, primarily by Plant; small exceptions: 30 seconds worth of Carouselambra in the middle of ITE during Plant/Page 1995-6 tour and a one off attempt at Fool In The Rain by Plant and Pearl Jam).
  • Nothing by Jimmy on his tours (Ourider even with Coverdale in Japan) nor Jonesy (thought for sure Jonesy would try Carouselambra during one of his two solo tours).
  • Even Robert, during his Nashville stint with Alison Krauss/Patty Griffin and company, could have tried Hot Dog live. That would have fit the set list during those tours.

2 hours ago, And You Know How It Is? said:

That the surviving members completely dismiss In Through The Out Door as an album, even as an achievement:

• no O2 reunion attempts (unforgivable really)
  • minimal live interpretations on solo tours (In The Evening really being the only song from that album to get played after Zep disbanded, primarily by Plant; small exceptions: 30 seconds worth of Carouselambra in the middle of ITE during Plant/Page 1995-6 tour and a one off attempt at Fool In The Rain by Plant and Pearl Jam).
  • Nothing by Jimmy on his tours (Ourider even with Coverdale in Japan) nor Jonesy (thought for sure Jonesy would try Carouselambra during one of his two solo tours).
  • Even Robert, during his Nashville stint with Alison Krauss/Patty Griffin and company, could have tried Hot Dog live. That would have fit the set list during those tours.

I could not agree more, the decision to virtually ignore ITTOD post-1980 is a crime with the notable exception of ITE. I always thought ITE would serve as an excellent set opener and IGC as a replacement for SIBLY. Throw in some Carouselambra or FITR and that would be grand.