Little Things You Don't Like About Led Zeppelin?

• 1 year later...

Page started using a different guitar setup which I believe consisted of the Eventide Harmonizer. Although I think it worked great for some tracks (Achilles and NFBM), I always find it sounds too over-processed. The solo from Fool In The Rain is a prime example. It had a very flat frequency range and sounded almost like a synthesizer. It just wasn't a "Rock and roll" tone. I really wish he'd kept the old Les Paul straight through to a Marshall sound.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
5 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

I don't like JPJ jacket from Earl's Court with all the shit hanging off it. Every time I see it, I wanna just pick off whatever those objects are lol. It's distracting.

It looks like he fell face-first into a box of Christmas ornaments, and the hooks got stuck in the jacket. I suppose he figured in a band with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, he was never going to be cool, sexy one, but that jacket mixed with the Little Dutch Boy haircut...yeesh. Not his best look.

Edited by Electrophile

1. I could do without the underage groupies and rampant drug abuse.
  2. I agree with whomever said their lyrics could be cringey. They weren't all terribad, but some of them definitely were. I still don't know WTF a bustle in a hedgerow is other than 1870s foundation garments in a bush...which I'm pretty sure Plant wasn't talking about.
  3. The disco ending of Carouselambra can go.
  4. Plant could have cut some of the faux orgasms from their songs, particularly the early tracks. We get it, Bob.
  5. Jimmy Page's poppy suit. Tell someone you're a heroin addict without telling someone you're a heroin addict.

31 minutes ago, Electrophile said:

It looks like he fell face-first into a box of Christmas ornaments, and the hooks got stuck in the jacket. I suppose he figured in a band with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, he was never going to be cool, sexy one, but that jacket mixed with the Little Dutch Boy haircut...yeesh. Not his best look.

Haha, yeah but you gotta admire the balls to wear it in front of thousands of people.

46 minutes ago, Electrophile said:

My money's on Mo chose it for him. 😄

On 5/24/2018 at 7:43 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

Page started using a different guitar setup which I believe consisted of the Eventide Harmonizer. Although I think it worked great for some tracks (Achilles and NFBM), I always find it sounds too over-processed. The solo from Fool In The Rain is a prime example. It had a very flat frequency range and sounded almost like a synthesizer. It just wasn't a "Rock and roll" tone. I really wish he'd kept the old Les Paul straight through to a Marshall sound.

Hi Gibson...

The effect Jimmy used on the Fool in the Rain solo is a MXR Blue Box. Took me years to find that out as I wondered what the hell that effect was. Joe Walsh used the same effect for the solo on Disco Strangler (Eagles The Long Run album).

On 12/18/2021 at 5:13 PM, Electrophile said:
  1. I could do without the underage groupies and rampant drug abuse.
  2. I agree with whomever said their lyrics could be cringey. They weren't all terribad, but some of them definitely were. I still don't know WTF a bustle in a hedgerow is other than 1870s foundation garments in a bush...which I'm pretty sure Plant wasn't talking about.
  3. The disco ending of Carouselambra can go.
  4. Plant could have cut some of the faux orgasms from their songs, particularly the early tracks. We get it, Bob.
  5. Jimmy Page's poppy suit. Tell someone you're a heroin addict without telling someone you're a heroin addict.

A bustle in this particular instance is a witch. Old Robert must have found this reference from an old book as the use of "bustle" as a reference for a witch is pre-18th century English slang.

I wondered about this as well until I read it in a book years ago. Honestly, WTF was a bustle (undergarment suspension) doing in a hedgerow and who would care? Once I found out it was a witch it made sense. 

"If there's a bustle in the hedgerow, don't be alarmed now...it's just a spring-clean for the May Queen." The May Queen refers to May 1st May Day celebration in pagan areas where a girl dressed all in white leads the May Day procession. So the lyric means a friendly witch clearing away the prior season in preparation for May Day and the start of Summer in the old calendar.

10 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

A bustle in this particular instance is a witch. Old Robert must have found this reference from an old book as the use of "bustle" as a reference for a witch is pre-18th century English slang.

I wondered about this as well until I read it in a book years ago. Honestly, WTF was a bustle (undergarment suspension) doing in a hedgerow and who would care? Once I found out it was a witch it made sense. 

"If there's a bustle in the hedgerow, don't be alarmed now...it's just a spring-clean for the May Queen." The May Queen refers to May 1st May Day celebration in pagan areas where a girl dressed all in white leads the May Day procession. So the lyric means a friendly witch clearing away the prior season in preparation for May Day and the start of Summer in the old calendar.

If you're British there are some completely different meanings here.  The line is 'if there's a bustle in your hedgerow....'
A bustle is 'a commotion, energetic movement'.
A hedgerow can be a euphemism for pubic hair.
The May Queen i supposed to be a pure maiden... so if there's a commotion going on in her pubes.... and Mayday is (was) a fertility festival.
I don't think I need to be any more specific.... 🙄

3 hours ago, woz70 said:

If you're British there are some completely different meanings here.  The line is 'if there's a bustle in your hedgerow....'
The May Queen i supposed to be a pure maiden... so if there's a commotion going on in her pubes.... and Mayday is (was) a fertility festival.

Actually Woz, the explanation I gave was straight from Robert's own mouth as far as the meaning of that verse which he wrote.

1 hour ago, BobDobbs said:

Actually Woz, the explanation I gave was straight from Robert's own mouth as far as the meaning of that verse which he wrote.

And I'm just giving you colloquial meanings from a British viewpoint. 

I'm pretty sure that if you'd asked Robert the same question in 1971,1981,1991.etc.. you'd have got a completely different answer every single time.  It's the nature of the beast!  He's on record as saying "depending on what day it is, I still interpret the song a different way - and I wrote the lyrics!"

Never heard of a witch being called a bustle - only the clothing and energetic movement references.  Language is fascinating though, and I'm always happy to add to my collection of obscure words and meanings. Have you got a reference or a title for the book you found it in? 

Edited by woz70

9 hours ago, woz70 said:

And I'm just giving you colloquial meanings from a British viewpoint. 

I'm pretty sure that if you'd asked Robert the same question in 1971,1981,1991.etc.. you'd have got a completely different answer every single time.  It's the nature of the beast!  He's on record as saying "depending on what day it is, I still interpret the song a different way - and I wrote the lyrics!"

Never heard of a witch being called a bustle - only the clothing and energetic movement references.  Language is fascinating though, and I'm always happy to add to my collection of obscure words and meanings. Have you got a reference or a title for the book you found it in? 

It was a quote from Robert out of a book I purchased around 1982. Cannot remember which book but I will look for the reference. You are correct though as it can be interpreted several different ways depending on your perspective. The lyrics are actually quite genius in that regard as almost every passage can have multiple meanings.

On 12/22/2021 at 3:59 PM, BobDobbs said:

Hi Gibson...

The effect Jimmy used on the Fool in the Rain solo is a MXR Blue Box. Took me years to find that out as I wondered what the hell that effect was. Joe Walsh used the same effect for the solo on Disco Strangler (Eagles The Long Run album).

Reading this kind of stuff is interesting to me as a non-musician. I'm generally more focused on where my ears take me and the end result of a recording or live performance I enjoy, but reading all this provides great context and is a lot of fun, especially with references to other bands where you can connect dots aurally like above. I actually like the processed sound of the solo on "Fool in the Rain", I think it suits the vibe of the song.

Edited by 1975NQ

I love all of Zep.  Sometimes I think they have songs locked into the Studio that don't translate live.  I don't like Levee/MMHop/RR live.  They don't seem as tight.  Then songs that are jams on the albums work better.  Its like Zep is really more like a loose Jam Band than tight rockers.  Rock and Roll Studio is better than Rock and Roll live, although around ITTOD live RR was tighter, but Plants vocals felt more like his speaking voice.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/23/2021 at 3:08 AM, woz70 said:

Robert discusses this very subject at 10:35 in this interview:

https://youtu.be/omxnvpis7Xc