Howard Stern Exposes Led Zeppelin As A Farce

jpj4eva-jb-rip

• 1 year later...

First off, let me say that I realize this is an old topic. I sometimes like to scan the "back" topics and read (and sometimes reply) to the ones that I find interesting. This is one of them.

Second off, I have been a fan of Howard Stern for a very long time. I first started listening to him way back in 1989 when I lived for a time in Hillsborough, New Jersey (about an hour from New York City). I have not heard or listened to him since he switched from the public airwaves over to the pay satellite station (Sirrius, I believe). I think most people who have heard or know of Howard Stern either LOVE him or HATE him. He is who He is.

Anyway, I downloaded the link from the very 1st post of this topic and listened to it in full. I found it very interesting. What Howard and all the rest of the people on the show had to say was amusing. I have been a die-hard fan of Led Zeppelin for over 25 years. Pretty much what "they" were trying to convey, I had already known about for most of those 25 years. Most of it was true. Alot of us already knew that Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin "borrowed" lyrics, music and influences from the beginning in 1968. At least I did. In my opinion, I am very grateful that they did. It set them on a "path where no one goes". And that "Path" was what makes them the "MIGHTY LED ZEPPELIN" and the "GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND OF ALL-TIME".

• 2 weeks later...

Who gives a toss, if Zeppelin only ever did cover versions of songs all the way through i would still love them as its the combo of Bonham,Plant ,Page and jones that makes it sound special..they would add a twist to any song making it their own..thats the art of playing somone elses song/music otherwise you sound like a karaoke artist.

Howard Stern has every right to call them a cover band 'cause to be honest, I think that's what they are. They did more cover songs a lot more than originals.

NO

NO they didnt actually cover other bands songs all too much/yea they were inspired by and guilty of elaborating some1elses music,mostly from long ago.

BUT you cant call them a "cover" band

&

they DO NOT have those more than originals :sarcastic_hand:

theirs a pretty good list above

but because plant says "ooomy head" doesnt mean they are covering a whole song/ill have to listen that one and see for myself .

STERN IS RUNNING OUT OF THINGS TO SAY ,SO HE'S SELLING OUT ON THINGS HE LOVED ,to get a rize outa anyone

I was a huge Howard fan but kind of got burned out on him by the end of his run on free radio. One thing that always bugged me was his bitterness towards the band after none of the members would appear on his show. Could you blame them? He always seemed to take little shots at them after that. To each their own, but why go out of the way to attack them? All the great bands (Stones, Who, Cream, Dead, etc.) have covered tunes during their careers. Just because Zep didn't give credit to certain artists doesn't change the greatness of the music. It's their great interpretation of that song (which most of time was way superior imo). Screw Howard. He is a sellout of the guy we used to love.

P.S. How can you take him seriously when he raved on about Train? Even Artie and Robin gave him crap about that. :D

everybody's been saying this since who knows how long just brush it off and keep rockin'

I hear you. My beef is that too many people I know took Howard's dissection and think that Zep are thieves now. Annoying!

It doesn't make a difference I Love Zeppelin I love howard. Howard is a fan of zeppelin and has said some riffs bring chills down his spin just like the rest of us

I don't share your sentiment regarding Howard. I never liked him. It's just a matter of taste, but don't think I fancy myself better for it. He just never appealed to me. No offence was intended. :beer:

Stern is vastly overrated, tasteless, juvenile, never funny and never entertaining. His success perfectly exemplifies the average American: a half-witted simpleton who's easily amused by boob jokes.

(And I thought all this before I read this nonsense about Zeppelin. I've nothing against a good joke -- hell, my whole last book contains humor -- but I've never liked this jerk. I'd like to hear a song he's written. C'mon, Howard. Play us some of your music.)

You my friend don't know good humor.

He is not a song writer he is a DJ.

I think your a half witted simpleton, but you don't know it.

Putting your self on a pedestal like you smarter than half the united states, lmao you snob.

You my friend don't know good humor.

He is not a song writer he is a DJ.

I think your a half witted simpleton, but you don't know it.

Putting your self on a pedestal like you smarter than half the united states, lmao you snob.

Howard is stale now. Same shit for years. The only funny part of the show is Beetlejuice.

I hear you. My beef is that too many people I know took Howard's dissection and think that Zep are thieves now. Annoying!

In my opinion and no offense intended, if the people that you know took "Howard's dissection" too literally and "think that Zep are thieves now" really could not have been too big of fans of Led Zeppelin and their Music. What I think would be annoying is the people that think that Jimmy Page and LZ were, out and out musical thieves. Borrowers, maybe. I think that they were. In their early days they may have borrowed and maybe not credited the proper songwriters, but, then again, at that time in Rock and Roll history, most musicians "borrowed" music from their heroes or influences (without crediting the original source). Led Zeppelin became the greateset Rock and Roll band in the World because they knew how to incorporate all their influences and talents and make their music the best that they could. Can anyone really disagree with this statement?

Howard is stale now. Same shit for years. The only funny part of the show is Beetlejuice.

Wolfman, I am usually with you on most of your posts. But, not this one. His show is better then ever on Sirius and Beetlejuice doesn't even come on the the show very often, anymore. Of course, this is my opinion. However, he is the ONLY radio personality to EVER get millions of people to shell out a Benjamin each year to listen to them. That is fact, like him or not.

As far as the topic of this thread, I was turned off by that bozo who came on the show with all of that sh!t.

They started out as a cover band... Look at their first album:

- "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" originally by Anne Bredon

- "You Shook Me" was originally a Willie Dixon song

- "Dazed and Confused" was originally by Jake Holmes ("I'm Confused"), but arranged by Page and the drummer of the Yardbirds, including some lyric changes

- "Black Mountain Side" is a traditional piece (?) but was played by Anne Briggs, who also taught it to Bert Jansch, called "Black Waterside"

- "Communication Breakdown" is considered similar to Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown"

- "I Can't Quit You Baby" was also originally a Willie Dixon tune...

- "How Many More Times" has elements of various blues songs but is mostly similar to Howlin' Wolf's "How Many More Years"...

Second album has a few "covers" as well:

- "Whole Lotta Love" is pretty much Muddy Waters' "You Need Love" (also by Willie Dixon) but with slightly different lyrics...

- "The Lemon Song" takes a lot from Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor"

- The beginning of "Bring It On Home" is identical to Sonny Boy Williamson's "Bring It On Home," (written by Dixon) although as soon as that main riff kicks in it's a Page/Plant original...

On the third album, "Gallows Pole" is a traditional song "Gallis Pole", but arranged by Page... And Hat's Off has pieces of "Shake 'em on Down" by Bukka White and "Lone Wolf Blues" by Oscar Woods...

On the fourth album, "When The Levee Breaks" was originally a Memphis Minnie song...

On Physical Graffiti, "In My Time of Dying" was previously recorded by Bob Dylan and originally by Blind Willie Johnson. "Boogie With Stu" is very similar to Ritchie Valenz's "Ooh! My Head"

But I think the bulk of their released material is original and pretty damned good, anyway...

But of course, Stern was just poking fun anyway... But there is some truth to what he's proposing...

the first album is fair game.from there on,pretty much,page's riffs are almost unrecognizable to any old blues riffs.I mean does "when the levee breaks"remotely sound like memphis minnie?????

the first album is fair game.from there on,pretty much,page's riffs are almost unrecognizable to any old blues riffs.I mean does "when the levee breaks"remotely sound like memphis minnie?????

No it doesn't.

I also find it hilarious how Communication Breakdown is supposed to be like the old Eddie Cochrane song Nervous Shakedown. It's vastly different.

There is an Opie and Anthony segment on youtube that discusses this subject as well. They mention "I can't quit you baby" as if it's a news flash that the song was originally written by Willie Dixon. I seem to remember Robert Plant acknowledging it was a cover and saying that more people were performing it at the time than "God save the Queen", in an interview he gave when O & A were probably still in preschool. This stuff has been hashed and rehashed for decades.

Zep did have some trouble crediting people properly, but it doesn't change the quality of their music. Zep III and on were basically all them. People forget about the rest of their music past 1969. They were sued for their mistakes and it's over now.

They surely weren't the first to "borrow" from others and they definitely weren't the last.

Where's the questioning or outrage over Pink Floyd's "Money" sounding VERY similar to Zep's "How Many More Times" or Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4" sounding an awful lot like 2:23-2:58 of Zep's "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" ?? I wanna hear about them being "thieves." It should be fair game for all bands. Not super talented ones that achieved massive success so people want to break them down and find a fault to try and take away fans.

It happened 40 years ago. Let's move on. Enjoy the music and rock on.

Zep did have some trouble crediting people properly, but it doesn't change the quality of their music. Zep III and on were basically all them. People forget about the rest of their music past 1969. They were sued for their mistakes and it's over now.

They surely weren't the first to "borrow" from others and they definitely weren't the last.

Where's the questioning or outrage over Pink Floyd's "Money" sounding VERY similar to Zep's "How Many More Times" or Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4" sounding an awful lot like 2:23-2:58 of Zep's "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" ?? I wanna hear about them being "thieves." It should be fair game for all bands. Not super talented ones that achieved massive success so people want to break them down and find a fault to try and take away fans.

It happened 40 years ago. Let's move on. Enjoy the music and rock on.

I hear you. It drives me nuts that people accuse Zep for doing this but ignore that other bands (Ex/ Cream) did lots of "covers" too (aka "Spoonful"). Credit or no credit, the music is still great and the riffs are usually way different.

Archived