Meeting forum members in the flesh

LedZeppfan1977

20 hours ago, IpMan said:

If any of you find yourselves in the Phoenix area it would be a pleasure for me to be your host. Now that me and the wife are empty nesters, this big ass house needs some life. We are looking to move either to Flagstaff or upstate NY (Saratoga Springs) next year, once we do, that door will always remain open to the forum group as well.

My wife has friends in the Phoenix area that are coming next month.  So if you move to Saratoga, is like moving from Venus to Mars.  You will be near Glens Falls and Lake George.   Lake George is a tourist town in the summer.  Saratoga of course is the big place for horse racing in the summer for a month.  I am a big fan and have been there once.  I went to Del Mar last week, a place I always wanted to go.  In San Diego.  I made the drive through the dessert from Vegas to SD.  You had best be ready for some cold winters.  You will likely have a white Xmas

10 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

My wife has friends in the Phoenix area that are coming next month.  So if you move to Saratoga, is like moving from Venus to Mars.  You will be near Glens Falls and Lake George.   Lake George is a tourist town in the summer.  Saratoga of course is the big place for horse racing in the summer for a month.  I am a big fan and have been there once.  I went to Del Mar last week, a place I always wanted to go.  In San Diego.  I made the drive through the dessert from Vegas to SD.  You had best be ready for some cold winters.  You will likely have a white Xmas

We visited Lake George after we hiked Mt. Buck, gorgeous place. Went to the track and the wife won three races in a row, the last being a trifecta with her sister. We are not big gamblers but her $10 bet wound up paying for the day so I call that a big win!

We really want to relocate up there...the wife is from Montreal and her mother may not be around much longer so my opinion is, lets go. I only have my mother and she would love to go back to the green of NY so not too much prodding there. The only issue we have is my wife has to have all ducks in a  row, secure job, everything perfect before we move whereas I am more of a, meh, who cares, lets give it a go type of guy. Either way, next time we are up there I will hit you up and you can show us the sights and places we have missed. In fact, my wife childhood friend Lucia lives in Rochester so we drove to Lake Oneida to meet her. They had not seen each other since 1992. Talk about emotional.

Both the wife and I love the cold and snow, both skiers and I am into extreme camping so the colder it is, the more likely I am to venture out and see if I make it back alive or wind up a human popsicle.

Del Mar is gorgeous, we go there about four times a year. We stay on Coronado Island at the El Cordova right across the street from the Hotel Del and just bike, walk, swim around the island, staying pretty liquored up the whole time. Both Del Mar & La Jolla are great but I prefer Del Mar and, I have run into Steve Perry several times since he lives there. He is a great guy who will talk to you for hours, very gracious.

8 hours ago, IpMan said:

We visited Lake George after we hiked Mt. Buck, gorgeous place. Went to the track and the wife won three races in a row, the last being a trifecta with her sister. We are not big gamblers but her $10 bet wound up paying for the day so I call that a big win!

We really want to relocate up there...the wife is from Montreal and her mother may not be around much longer so my opinion is, lets go. I only have my mother and she would love to go back to the green of NY so not too much prodding there. The only issue we have is my wife has to have all ducks in a  row, secure job, everything perfect before we move whereas I am more of a, meh, who cares, lets give it a go type of guy. Either way, next time we are up there I will hit you up and you can show us the sights and places we have missed. In fact, my wife childhood friend Lucia lives in Rochester so we drove to Lake Oneida to meet her. They had not seen each other since 1992. Talk about emotional.

Both the wife and I love the cold and snow, both skiers and I am into extreme camping so the colder it is, the more likely I am to venture out and see if I make it back alive or wind up a human popsicle.

Del Mar is gorgeous, we go there about four times a year. We stay on Coronado Island at the El Cordova right across the street from the Hotel Del and just bike, walk, swim around the island, staying pretty liquored up the whole time. Both Del Mar & La Jolla are great but I prefer Del Mar and, I have run into Steve Perry several times since he lives there. He is a great guy who will talk to you for hours, very gracious.

Wow , I did not know Steve Perry lives there?  Anyway, if you go to Saratoga, I am a very big horse player and I do know pretty much everything there is to know about handicapping.  Horse racing has been good to me over the years.  I have 0 complaints.  You have to know what you are doing if you are going to make a go at it on a consistent basis.  if you are a once a year player, just bet names and do what you wish.  Pick 3s and pick 4 are where the real value is.  Exacta's are good to play also.  I usually play one dollar exactas through the card  and the play the pick 4, early and late.  AT Saratoga its the 2nd through the 5th unless its a day where they throw in  steeplechase race which is the "jumps".  European type racing with different riders.  Heavier weights.  That I usually skip.  Tough to gauge.  I personally have always loved the grass races.  If you are going, get in touch and I may be able to pass on some good horses.   I hit the pick 4 at Del Mar and Saratoga on opening day.  One was over $500.  And this is for a 50 cent wager.  Of course I used a few combinations but only spent about $3 on each.  So a good return.  My trip to the track live, my only one ever, was two weeks ago today.  I hit the first exacta of the first race.  $2 got you about $30  plus.  But i then put some races in and left.  So I hit the 8th race for a dollar exacta, it paid over $200.  I get $100 because I only had it for a dollar.  Strider knows the rest.  He went with me in the rent a car to Hollywood park in LA to collect it.  I could not collect at Del Mar as they were closed on Monday and Tues and we had to drive to LA.  Hollywood park charges you $6 to get into their Off track betting parlor.  A fucking disgraceful rip off  Here you never have to pay to go gamble on horses.  Are you kidding me?  They would be out of business.  The one armed bandits have really taken over Finger Lakes, a local small time track for horses that cannot win at Aqueduct or Belmont.  So anyway, if you make the move let me know.  Del Mar is such a fabulous track.  My favorite.  Saratoga is great also.  Those are the two best and then Churchill Downs, Belmont, Santa Anita Fairgrounds and  a few others.  for harness I like Canada the best.  The Meadowlands is the best harness track in America.  I like Woodbine and Mohawk in Canada.  Lake Oneida is a dirty lake near Syracuse.  I would not eat a fish out of it.  Lake Ontario and the St Lawrence river yes.  The St Lawrence is in the 1000 Islands and if you come, you must go there once to Alexandria Bay in the summer.  A great summer town in the Islands you will just love.  Two state parks called Keewaydin (an Indian name) and Kring Pt are fabulous.  If you can get over the border without headaches, you can go to duty free and get some real Canadian beer   If Customs are not real busy its no big deal but with all of the trouble going on with Isis, they are on high alert and tend to treat all that enter like a criminal.  I cant stand them.  I have not gone back in years and may never go back.  We have anything they have and then some.  They cannot buy up enough property in Florida, but they wont let American citizens through without raping you at the border.  England truly are our best friends.  So let me know if and when you go to upstate NY.  As for Rochester, the beach area near the Lake is called Charlotte.  The pier there is where the Gennessee River meets Lake Ontario.  Many business's were built when the short lived ferry system to Toronto was built. The Aussy built boat was on the water less than a month when it all shut down.  I know people that had tickets to ride and never rode.  A ticket on the Polar Express would be more legitimate.  There is talk of it returning someday.   In downtown Rochester where the Rhino's soccer team plays they had a nationally televised fight on Showtime the other night.  Also, if you like football and hockey, make no mistake, this is Bills and Sabres territory.           Rick  (Buffalo Rick on the local airwaves talk shows)

My trip to California was not without its headaches.  Yesterday they got me for two Toll tickets I never ever saw.  What the fuck is up with that shit?  Rental car company that is pure shit, Dollar, is nailing me on top of it.  So I paid the fines by phone and the parking ticket in Del Mar (San Diego).  Bastards

On 8/16/2016 at 8:36 PM, reswati said:

Well, let's make it easy..................if any of the gentlefolx I met here over the years ever come to the Netherlands.................feel free to be my guest.

It could happen!

I'm friends with rosieT in real life even though she moved back to Florida last year. In fact we are traveling to London in October...I will let you know if we meet Jimmy!

I've met Vicki, whose alias on here I've forgotten...she recovered from breast cancer not long ago by the way...

Always amazed that there aren't more people here from NYC...

1 hour ago, ScarletMacaw said:

It could happen!

I'm friends with rosieT in real life even though she moved back to Florida last year. In fact we are traveling to London in October...I will let you know if we meet Jimmy!

I've met Vicki, whose alias on here I've forgotten...she recovered from breast cancer not long ago by the way...

Always amazed that there aren't more people here from NYC...

Well, you're welcome......I like meeting inspiring people from all over this planet............... (just had an inspiring lady from Irkutsk here last week).

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes the stars align perfectly.  There was a post that mentioned an upcoming ELO show in the Hollywood Bowl (forever grateful, Strider)...and me and my son packed our bags. Going to California.

Then I met a good forum friend for the first time. There were pancakes, guitars, vinyl, posters and spices.  A super fun, LZ filled day in the city of angels.

There was a magical ELO concert at the Hollywood Bowl, complete with a nice breeze, wine, an orchestra, lasers and fireworks.  Outdoor venues are my favorite, it was a perfect setting.  And what are the chances that in a venue with 19,000 people, Strider scores a ticket sitting next to me!  Fantastic music that sounded as fresh as it did in 1978 (the last time for both of us to see ELO in concert). A night I suspect we will always remember, I know I will.

There were cocktails at a cool bar.

There was football.  What are the chances that the Saints would play the Raiders this day. There was a bar filled with Saints fans, complete with Abita Purple Haze and Saints theme song, Halftime - Stand Up and Get Crunk. Lots of Saints fun the entire game, and the Raiders pull out a win on a gutsy 2-point conversion call.  Whadaya know. Great game.

There were good-byes, and many thanks to such a generous host and all around great guy.  What a fantastic trip. 

Here are a few pics.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Thought the forum football fans would enjoy seeing Strider working on the game pool. 

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

22 minutes ago, badgeholder said:

Good Lord, those pancakes! Are you kidding me? LOL

7 minutes ago, Deborah J said:

Great photos Dd! 

^^badgeholder, I had to laugh as well.  Those pancakes look huge! 

The pancakes were definitely not for the faint of heart, a great conversation starter.  There were plenty of leftovers, which we happily gave to feed the homeless. 

:peace:

LOL!

I am looking forward to meeting up with Roger Berlin and Bob in San Fran in November. I told the new job that I had to have that week off as this has been planned for some time and they were great about it. I am sure we will have plenty of photos to share. :)  

Great photos Dd! Thanks for the kind words...it all applies double back to you. You are the very definition of "Southern charm and hospitality". Once again, I have been very fortunate to meet such great people through this forum.

I just wished I hadn't cut my hair just before I found out you were coming...I look like Uncle Fester.

Ah yes, the pancakes! Hahaha. Deb and badgeholder, they aren't just huge, they are monstrous! I can't even get halfway through them. Rick, if you are reading this, this is The Griddle place I mentioned. They have about 20 different flavour variations...I had the raspberry and lemon pancakes and I believe Dd had the espresso and chocolate chips.

Dd is a great music fan so it was a treat to dig through records with her at Amoeba and show her the Rock Walk of Fame at the Guitar Center. There was more we could have done but time was short. The weekend flew by...it was the same problem when Rick visited.

So much to do. So little time.

6 hours ago, Deborah J said:

LOL!

I am looking forward to meeting up with Roger Berlin and Bob in San Fran in November. I told the new job that I had to have that week off as this has been planned for some time and they were great about it. I am sure we will have plenty of photos to share. :)  

Sounds like a lovely time in a gorgeous city.  Looking forward to pics!

:) 

3 hours ago, Strider said:

Great photos Dd! Thanks for the kind words...it all applies double back to you. You are the very definition of "Southern charm and hospitality". Once again, I have been very fortunate to meet such great people through this forum.

I just wished I hadn't cut my hair just before I found out you were coming...I look like Uncle Fester.

Ah yes, the pancakes! Hahaha. Deb and badgeholder, they aren't just huge, they are monstrous! I can't even get halfway through them. Rick, if you are reading this, this is The Griddle place I mentioned. They have about 20 different flavour variations...I had the raspberry and lemon pancakes and I believe Dd had the espresso and chocolate chips.

Dd is a great music fan so it was a treat to dig through records with her at Amoeba and show her the Rock Walk of Fame at the Guitar Center. There was more we could have done but time was short. The weekend flew by...it was the same problem when Rick visited.

And you, the perfect gentleman.  

28 minutes ago, ebk said:

That looks like it was a fabulous trip Dd!  Strider is the best, isn't he?  :friends:

And you chose the perfect flavor for your pancakes!! 

Yes, he is, ebk. He even went out of his way to find a shipping tube so that the posters we bought could travel safely.  I owe a trip of a lifetime and very special memories to Strider. 

The espresso and chocolate chip pancakes were delicious.  I could have shared them with you and every member on this forum. :P 

On 9/13/2016 at 2:24 AM, Ddladner said:

Sometimes the stars align perfectly.  There was a post that mentioned an upcoming ELO show in the Hollywood Bowl (forever grateful, Strider)...and me and my son packed our bags. Going to California.

Then I met a good forum friend for the first time. There were pancakes, guitars, vinyl, posters and spices.  A super fun, LZ filled day in the city of angels.

There was a magical ELO concert at the Hollywood Bowl, complete with a nice breeze, wine, an orchestra, lasers and fireworks.  Outdoor venues are my favorite, it was a perfect setting.  And what are the chances that in a venue with 19,000 people, Strider scores a ticket sitting next to me!  Fantastic music that sounded as fresh as it did in 1978 (the last time for both of us to see ELO in concert). A night I suspect we will always remember, I know I will.

There were cocktails at a cool bar.

There was football.  What are the chances that the Saints would play the Raiders this day. There was a bar filled with Saints fans, complete with Abita Purple Haze and Saints theme song, Halftime - Stand Up and Get Crunk. Lots of Saints fun the entire game, and the Raiders pull out a win on a gutsy 2-point conversion call.  Whadaya know. Great game.

There were good-byes, and many thanks to such a generous host and all around great guy.  What a fantastic trip. 

Here are a few pics.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Thought the forum football fans would enjoy seeing Strider working on the game pool. 

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

:wave::you_rock:

2 hours ago, Ddladner said:

:peace:

On 9/13/2016 at 3:39 AM, Strider said:

^^^A successful and incredibly special forum friends meet up, I see! So happy for you guys!! :thumbsup: 

Thanks for sharing all those awesome photos, Debbie! 

On September 12, 2016 at 5:09 PM, Strider said:

Dd is a great music fan so it was a treat to dig through records with her at Amoeba and show her the Rock Walk of Fame at the Guitar Center. 

Strider, thanks for taking me straight to the good stuff.  Happy to come home with these gems as souvenirs.

image.jpeg

14 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

^^It really is super cool you guys met up like that. :)

13 hours ago, jabe said:

Great photos Dd and Strider. Thanks for posting them.

Strider, you sound and appear like the ultimate gracious host.  Bravo!

11 hours ago, Walter said:

Awesome photos, Dd!  Glad you three had such a great time together! ✌?️

Many thanks, guys! :):):) 

Archived