Hots on for Nowhere

Guest Shenouda5252@gmail.com

If you want to listen to something not very famous but really good and pretty underrated check out Hots on For Nowhere. I'm sure 99% of the people on this site have heard it before but I'm just reminding you it exists because it's easy to forget with a song like this one that no one talks about and they never played live. 

More songs that everyone always forgets exist:

Hats Off to (Roy) Harper

Custard Pie

Down by the Seaside

Night Flight

Candy Store Rock

Tea for One

Darlene 

Wearing and Tearing 

9 hours ago, Shenouda5252@gmail.com said:

More songs that everyone always forgets exist:

Hats Off to (Roy) Harper

Custard Pie

Down by the Seaside

Night Flight

Candy Store Rock

Tea for One

Darlene 

Wearing and Tearing 

How could anyone forget Custard Pie? - some of those others to some extent, but Custard Pie???? The Sexiest Pub Rock song EVER??? That last verse, so unreal. That riff. That middle solo and lead in to the last verse. The end. The fact it is the EXPLOSIVE start to the greatest double Rock Album in history.

Nah, don't think too many forget that gem. B)

On 8/16/2016 at 9:57 PM, Shenouda5252@gmail.com said:

If you want to listen to something not very famous but really good and pretty underrated check out Hots on For Nowhere. I'm sure 99% of the people on this site have heard it before but I'm just reminding you it exists because it's easy to forget with a song like this one that no one talks about and they never played live. 

Yeah, I really dig that track, not sure why it got so little attention.

8 hours ago, Stairway is NOT stolen said:

It's an interesting riff, although a bit difficult to play. The Version Page did with the Black Crowes is great

Difficult is an understatement, I would say it is a BITCH to play. 

Interestingly enough I have a VH boot somewhere, before they got famous where EVH actually does the song justice,

although some may be irritated by the whammy bar excursions and Roth's showboating. I have an iPad and there are

brick walls all over trying to upload. Page to about 2/3 of the way thru could handle it by himself, but when the 

"blistering"overdubs kick in and the 1st and 2nd codas (very end) come, forget it, especially considering the state he 

was in by 77'..Halen's version obviously you can't simulate 5 guitars, but none of it sounds weak or compromised.

What a great song, gonna try to find that boot. What's funny is that although EVH generally had much better chops

than Page, he could be sloppy as well. The Page/Crowes version is excellent, but they still can't quite nail those blistering

overdubs, but live there are limitations, as in the studio. Actually saw a show with that song.

33 minutes ago, Mithril46 said:

Interestingly enough I have a VH boot somewhere, before they got famous where EVH actually does the song justice,

although some may be irritated by the whammy bar excursions and Roth's showboating. I have an iPad and there are

brick walls all over trying to upload. Page to about 2/3 of the way thru could handle it by himself, but when the 

"blistering"overdubs kick in and the 1st and 2nd codas (very end) come, forget it, especially considering the state he 

was in by 77'..Halen's version obviously you can't simulate 5 guitars, but none of it sounds weak or compromised.

What a great song, gonna try to find that boot. What's funny is that although EVH generally had much better chops

than Page, he could be sloppy as well. The Page/Crowes version is excellent, but they still can't quite nail those blistering

overdubs, but live there are limitations, as in the studio. Actually saw a show with that song.

^ Wow, that was hilarious !  David just add libbed the lyrics so except for Na na na na na na he was singing whatever came into his little brain. The rhythm section sounded off and EVH was ok at best. Though out of the four EVH did the best job. Have to give em credit for trying it though, but IMO it came off as weak.

On 8/19/2016 at 6:51 PM, Jimmy's Dragon Suit said:

Presence is my favorite album of all-time and so it's possible for me to leave that song out of my mental playlist.

I love Presence more than heavy weights like IV, Physical Graffiti, etc. It's my third favourite album of all time! :) 

That's a hilarious version of HOFN, but not what I've got. Just like VH doing a sick version of "My Generation". Well I 

shutup till it's found. Zeppers who weren't around when Presence came out, yes it didn't sell great, but Page really was

considered the grand sorcerer of rock guitar. At this stage Page had no "stains", Presence got some weak reviews, but

also much attention for the incredible guitar orchestras Page was constructing, let alone the still amazing solos. Again

at this point Page was still a virtuoso(still is, just a bit rusty) and It is hard to convey to fans who weren't around for

that time that Presence and Page's superlative playing were almost godlike. One writer called the first ALS solo llike

"an island of pleading sirens"..Page doesn't just play solos; he sets moods, sculpts sound, and tells stories.

Well some of Page's stuff live was difficult, even with the super light strings. However 90% of most guitarists will tell

you that to totally nail "Eruption " is like 20 times harder than any live version of "heartbreaker"., and some versions

are virtuoso worthy. Apples and oranges, but Page took 6 months of classical lessons from John Mclaughlin. The point

is except possibly 73' live, Page had maybe 75% ??!!?? max of Halen's technique, but I prefer Jimmy's solos despite

really liking Halen's solos as well. Also much of Halen's rhythm guitar stuff is pretty hard studio wise, let alone live

You can't just interchange the two technique wise, Halen is a lot harder. There aren't many VH tribute bands chiefly

for this reason. Getting Page's "feel" is the main obstacle to getting Zep right, not monster technique.

• 3 months later...
On 8/21/2016 at 2:05 AM, IpMan said:

^ Wow, that was hilarious !  David just add libbed the lyrics so except for Na na na na na na he was singing whatever came into his little brain. The rhythm section sounded off and EVH was ok at best. Though out of the four EVH did the best job. Have to give em credit for trying it though, but IMO it came off as weak.

Not surprising really. It was one of hundreds of cover tunes they were doing in bars and parties.

On 8/21/2016 at 9:53 PM, Mithril46 said:

Well some of Page's stuff live was difficult, even with the super light strings. However 90% of most guitarists will tell

you that to totally nail "Eruption " is like 20 times harder than any live version of "heartbreaker"., and some versions

are virtuoso worthy. Apples and oranges, but Page took 6 months of classical lessons from John Mclaughlin. The point

is except possibly 73' live, Page had maybe 75% ??!!?? max of Halen's technique, but I prefer Jimmy's solos despite

really liking Halen's solos as well. Also much of Halen's rhythm guitar stuff is pretty hard studio wise, let alone live

You can't just interchange the two technique wise, Halen is a lot harder. There aren't many VH tribute bands chiefly

for this reason. Getting Page's "feel" is the main obstacle to getting Zep right, not monster technique.

The Heartbreaker solo has always been way overrated except in the context of the time period it came out. At that point it was groundbreaking, the first real shred on a rock album and only maybe Alvin Lee was doing similar structures at the time. Unfortunately by the mid-70's it was unimpressive. Yes its fast but Page is not really doing much outside of an ascending pattern of repeated notes...sounds cool but that is really it in a nutshell. I remember back in the day thinking, "if I could only nail that solo" and then once doing it was like, ok, on to other things.

Though Page could play fast when he wanted his strength, as mentioned above, was in texture, feel, landscape and for that I place him much more in the Camp Hendrix & Beck then Camp EVH & Vai. Quite possibly Page's best solo live was the NQ from TSRTS, it is the perfect melding of technique, feel, atmosphere, and color...just perfect. For me that is Page's signature solo and I cannot even begin to come close to playing the damn thing...after 30 years of trying, though I can play EVH stuff (I play quite a bit of EVH to practice and improve my technique) though I only play Cabo Wabo and Atomic Punk with the band at gigs...sometimes we pull out Mean Street for shits. I a just more into the Beck, Hendrix, Page, Buckingham style more and as of the past five years my focus has been on Beck and his style.

55 minutes ago, IpMan said:

The Heartbreaker solo has always been way overrated except in the context of the time period it came out. At that point it was groundbreaking, the first real shred on a rock album and only maybe Alvin Lee was doing similar structures at the time. Unfortunately by the mid-70's it was unimpressive. Yes its fast but Page is not really doing much outside of an ascending pattern of repeated notes...sounds cool but that is really it in a nutshell. I remember back in the day thinking, "if I could only nail that solo" and then once doing it was like, ok, on to other things.

Though Page could play fast when he wanted his strength, as mentioned above, was in texture, feel, landscape and for that I place him much more in the Camp Hendrix & Beck then Camp EVH & Vai. Quite possibly Page's best solo live was the NQ from TSRTS, it is the perfect melding of technique, feel, atmosphere, and color...just perfect. For me that is Page's signature solo and I cannot even begin to come close to playing the damn thing...after 30 years of trying, though I can play EVH stuff (I play quite a bit of EVH to practice and improve my technique) though I only play Cabo Wabo and Atomic Punk with the band at gigs...sometimes we pull out Mean Street for shits. I a just more into the Beck, Hendrix, Page, Buckingham style more and as of the past five years my focus has been on Beck and his style.

I find EVH closer to Page and Hendrix in a live setting, at times they sound quite similar, I think he took a lot from both of them. EVH is kinda at the tail end of the greats from the 60's and 70's not to mention Blackmore and especially Clapton. But Vai I don't see anywhere in this field, at least musically. I don't see Eruption as a shred piece anymore than Heartbreaker.

Really if your talking about what made Van Halen famous though the ironic thing is it was actually quite simple riff based songs not technical excellence.

To drag thing back on topic I'v always felt the band made a mistake not releasing Hots on For Nowhere as the single from Presence, its a hell of a lot more catchy and substantial than Candy Store Rock for me and could potentially have become a radio stable.

The problem is that Presence is the only album Zeppelin album you might find on sale.  Some interesting work by Page but the band to me during this album feels disjointed, almost disinterested.  Two really great songs in Achilles Last Stand and Tea For One, another I don't mind in Nobody's Fault But Mine, the rest of the album I always skipped.   Even if this song was a favourite, it was on a distant album.

Seem to me; and this is just opinion and uneducated guesses as obviously I was not there, that this is partially because of Roberts accident, partially due to Pages lack of focus and recreational activities.  I know this song well like any other song since I'm a fan, it's memorable only because I always believed Plant swore when he says "I've got friends who will give me flock all"  or whatever the lyric is.  Probably a bit of tension already building within him in regards to his relationship with the other members (member?). 

In all honesty it is difficult for me to see the band doing many more albums together even if Bonham had not passed.  12 Years is a long time for any band, especially when living up to expectations that are really insurmountable.  How does a band make another Zeppelin IV or PH?  You can't just will yourself to make music at that depth, you have to be there on so many levels.  I'm not sure they ever would have been again.

Just my two cents.  As for the song itself, I like the rhythm section :)  

6 hours ago, Canadianzepper said:

The problem is that Presence is the only album Zeppelin album you might find on sale.  Some interesting work by Page but the band to me during this album feels disjointed, almost disinterested.  Two really great songs in Achilles Last Stand and Tea For One, another I don't mind in Nobody's Fault But Mine, the rest of the album I always skipped.   Even if this song was a favourite, it was on a distant album.

Seem to me; and this is just opinion and uneducated guesses as obviously I was not there, that this is partially because of Roberts accident, partially due to Pages lack of focus and recreational activities.  I know this song well like any other song since I'm a fan, it's memorable only because I always believed Plant swore when he says "I've got friends who will give me flock all"  or whatever the lyric is.  Probably a bit of tension already building within him in regards to his relationship with the other members (member?). 

In all honesty it is difficult for me to see the band doing many more albums together even if Bonham had not passed.  12 Years is a long time for any band, especially when living up to expectations that are really insurmountable.  How does a band make another Zeppelin IV or PH?  You can't just will yourself to make music at that depth, you have to be there on so many levels.  I'm not sure they ever would have been again.

Just my two cents.  As for the song itself, I like the rhythm section :)  

I always felt that Presence was more of a musician's favourite because of the playing, especially the rhythm section, and that fact that it is recorded with very few non-guitar overdubs, so you can hear the band stripped-back in all its glory.

The songwriting is not as accessible as before and there's not as many melodies to latch onto, hence why it's not as popular with the general record-buying public.

The Page/Plant relationship had started to deteriorate by Presence and I think it shows in the songs.

As many have said, post Earls Court the halcyon days were over and personal and professional obstacles started to hinder the band.

I think you see more of a shift in Presense because PG also included a lot of earlier material to provide variety, if you just consider the 74 material then I don't think the shift is nearly as significant with the band being heavier and more rhythmically rather than melodically focused.

Ironically I think the strongest melody from that era is actually on the 10 Ribs & All/Carrot Pod Pod instrumental, personally I think they should have included that(maybe try and add lyrics although I don't think there needed) instead of either Royal Orleans or Candy Store Rock(or maybe both) which whilst pleasant enough for me feel like the first "filler" material on a Zep album. That would have provided some variety plus I think it actually fits quite well with the world weary tone of Presense.

36 minutes ago, greenman said:

I think you see more of a shift in Presense because PG also included a lot of earlier material to provide variety, if you just consider the 74 material then I don't think the shift is nearly as significant with the band being heavier and more rhythmically rather than melodically focused.

Ironically I think the strongest melody from that era is actually on the 10 Ribs & All/Carrot Pod Pod instrumental, personally I think they should have included that(maybe try and add lyrics although I don't think there needed) instead of either Royal Orleans or Candy Store Rock(or maybe both) which whilst pleasant enough for me feel like the first "filler" material on a Zep album. That would have provided some variety plus I think it actually fits quite well with the world weary tone of Presense.

Good point on PG melodic stuff being from previous sessions. I agree that Ribs would have been a nice melancholic breather on Presence. 

It might have been interesting to segue from the chiming guitar at the end of Achilles into Ribs somehow. The calm after the storm. Could have made for an epic epic.

Archived