2016 NHL season

LedZeppfan1977

5 minutes ago, Strider said:

Choking Dogs Always Be Choking. ?

Well, it's pretty simple now. Ottawa vs. Anaheim for the Stanley Cup Finals.

I am pulling for Ottawa because they are the last Canuck team standing. I would love to see a Canadian team win the Cup for a change.

I am cheering for the Ducks so that maybe I can have a chance to attend a game in person.

Well I hate Nashville so I want the Ducks.  I hate Pittsburgh and Ottawa so I want the Quacks.  

6 hours ago, Strider said:

I am pulling for Ottawa because they are the last Canuck team standing. I would love to see a Canadian team win the Cup for a change.

I am cheering for the Ducks so that maybe I can have a chance to attend a game in person.

I am firmly in the 'Anyone-but-the-Pens' camp - I would sincerely be happy for any of the other three teams to win.

The Ducks pulled the greatest magic trick I have ever seen in a playoff game in game 5 against Edmonton. The Oilers must still be saying to themselves, "How the hell did we not win that game?!?!?" Impressive in all of the games they have won, and game 6 against the Oilers was clearly a mulligan.

The Predators have been...well...predatory. Over the whole course of the playoff so far, they have by far impressed me the most. They even seem dangerous in games that they lose, and they have only done that twice in 11 games so far - and those were just by a single goal. They're going to be a tough out...

The Senators just seem to have the Hockey Gods on their side right now - if you are their opponent, the trick seems to be not to let the game get to overtime. They always seem to win in OT. And, yes, no Canadian team has won since the 1993 Canadiens.

It's been a great playoff season to watch so far - very entertaining. :)

27 minutes ago, ForEvermore said:

I am firmly in the 'Anyone-but-the-Pens' camp - I would sincerely be happy for any of the other three teams to win.

The Ducks pulled the greatest magic trick I have ever seen in a playoff game in game 5 against Edmonton. The Oilers must still be saying to themselves, "How the hell did we not win that game?!?!?" Impressive in all of the games they have won, and game 6 against the Oilers was clearly a mulligan.

The Predators have been...well...predatory. Over the whole course of the playoff so far, they have by far impressed me the most. They even seem dangerous in games that they lose, and they have only done that twice in 11 games so far - and those were just by a single goal. They're going to be a tough out...

The Senators just seem to have the Hockey Gods on their side right now - if you are their opponent, the trick seems to be not to let the game get to overtime. They always seem to win in OT. And, yes, no Canadian team has won since the 1993 Canadiens.

It's been a great playoff season to watch so far - very entertaining. :)

What magic trick?

8 hours ago, FL6 said:

What magic trick?

Losing 3-0 with less than 3 1/2 minutes left in the 3rd period, pulling the goaltender at that point and scoring THREE unanswered goals, the last with about 15 seconds left on the clock. Then going to overtime and scoring again - a comeback of that variety had literally never happened before in the entire history of the Stanley Cup playoffs. THAT magic trick. :)

11 hours ago, FL6 said:

What magic trick?

Guess you missed the game and/or the highlights on the news?

Nashville Predators. The idea of a hockey team in Nashville (or anywhere in the South...sorry jabe, PC, and Walter) still seems so odd to me. That's the measure of Gretzky's impact after his trade from Edmonton to L.A.

10 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

Losing 3-0 with less than 3 1/2 minutes left in the 3rd period, pulling the goaltender at that point and scoring THREE unanswered goals, the last with about 15 seconds left on the clock. Then going to overtime and scoring again - a comeback of that variety had literally never happened before in the entire history of the Stanley Cup playoffs. THAT magic trick. :)

Lol. Yeah I watched that but that was more like 4 magic tricks or whatever. I thought you meant they did something very specific and I think I got my games confused but yeah epic collapse.

On 5/13/2017 at 5:07 PM, Strider said:

Well, I'm a Vancouver Canucks fan, of course, but since the Canucks don't stand a hope in Hades of ever winning the Stanley Cup, it seems (they've had their chance and blown it all three times) I opted to cheer for Edmonton (which was where I went to school, met my wife etc). But now that Edmonton's out, as a Canadian I am obligated to cheer for the Sens. And, hell, they're a good team anyway. I've never been much of a fan of Sydney The Glory Hog...

19 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

9 hours ago, FL6 said:

Lol. Yeah I watched that but that was more like 4 magic tricks or whatever. I thought you meant they did something very specific and I think I got my games confused but yeah epic collapse.

My wife and I were watching that game, and decided to call it a night about halfway through the third period thinking, "Oh, Edmonton's got this..." :lol: Note to self: never pack it in before a Playoff game is finished because just about anything can happen. The Oilers got their revenge in Game Six but Anaheim won the series because the Oilers played their asses off in the first period of Game Seven so much that they were all tuckered out by the time the second period started, and Anaheim cleaned up. Live and learn.

15 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

Well, I'm a Vancouver Canucks fan, of course, but since the Canucks don't stand a hope in Hades of ever winning the Stanley Cup, it seems (they've had their chance and blown it all three times) I opted to cheer for Edmonton (which was where I went to school, met my wife etc). But now that Edmonton's out, as a Canadian I am obligated to cheer for the Sens. And, hell, they're a good team anyway. I've never been much of a fan of Sydney The Glory Hog...

My wife and I were watching that game, and decided to call it a night about halfway through the third period thinking, "Oh, Edmonton's got this..." :lol: Note to self: never pack it in before a Playoff game is finished because just about anything can happen. The Oilers got their revenge in Game Six but Anaheim won the series because the Oilers played their asses off in the first period of Game Seven so much that they were all tuckered out by the time the second period started, and Anaheim cleaned up. Live and learn.

Years ago my friend used to joke that for basketball games you just gotta watch the final minute to see who's gonna win, which is somewhat true. Hockey's like that now. 1 or 2 goal leads are frightening if you're up. They pull the goalie out sooner these days so it's a super long power play and kinda hard to get that empty netter. It's just a full on blitzkrieg, very hard to defend.

5 hours ago, FL6 said:

Years ago my friend used to joke that for basketball games you just gotta watch the final minute to see who's gonna win, which is somewhat true. Hockey's like that now. 1 or 2 goal leads are frightening if you're up. They pull the goalie out sooner these days so it's a super long power play and kinda hard to get that empty netter. It's just a full on blitzkrieg, very hard to defend.

I'd prefer if they didn't pull the goalie at all, but I'm kinda old school that way.

On 5/15/2017 at 10:05 PM, FL6 said:

Its actually the last two minutes.  Many times this year the goalie pulled thing has worked.  I have not remembered a year that it worked so often.  Coaches are starting to pull the goalie with 5 minutes left in many cases.  If you protect the blue line with 3 players and do not allow a clear shot down, the other team risks icing, and they chose to try and get a better shot at the open net.  And many times it never happens.  I hope someone beats Nashville because they were just an average team all year.  They have sucked out to get this far.  The Blues are absolutely better.  Should have won that series.  Predators and their coach are dirty.  I am hoping the Ducks kick their ass.  Long way to go

5 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Its actually the last two minutes.  Many times this year the goalie pulled thing has worked.  I have not remembered a year that it worked so often.  Coaches are starting to pull the goalie with 5 minutes left in many cases.  If you protect the blue line with 3 players and do not allow a clear shot down, the other team risks icing, and they chose to try and get a better shot at the open net.  And many times it never happens.  I hope someone beats Nashville because they were just an average team all year.  They have sucked out to get this far.  The Blues are absolutely better.  Should have won that series.  Predators and their coach are dirty.  I am hoping the Ducks kick their ass.  Long way to go

Yes that's correct, 2 minutes or more. I'm cheering for the Preds for 2 reasons, they have a guitar pick on their jersey and Subban trade.

On 5/17/2017 at 1:01 PM, FL6 said:

Yes that's correct, 2 minutes or more. I'm cheering for the Preds for 2 reasons, they have a guitar pick on their jersey and Subban trade.

I do not like new expansion warm weather teams winning the Cup when they did not pay their dues.  Teams like My Sabres in Buffalo, the Blues in St Louis at least have paid them and then some.  Buffalo is a great hockey town.  Nashville  might be ok when they are winning.  When they are not winning they are like the Florida Panthers and such.  Its pathetic.  That is why I guess the Penguins get another no biggie.  Ottawa at least is Canada and they certainly deserve to have the Cup up there again though not in Ottawa really.   More in Vancouver IMO.  Or Toronto or Calgary.    The Ducks are the only team left I do not hate. So no matter who wins I care not.  But I do care about our new GM and what he is planing.  My money is on an assistant from Pittsburgh given his connections.  Not sure if he knows Lindy Ruff?  I would love to have Lindy back.   But I want Miller more. Big time in fact.  If we cant get Miller, option two is Fluery or Murray. 

I grew up and continue to follow an original six team . I have a deep respect for the other 5 teams and their respective fan bases. I also love the sport, and really dig when hockey draws well in a  sun belt city.

Bridgestone Arena has a seating capacity of 17,113 for ice hockey, and they have an average draw of  over 16,000 per game since 2011. That's a pretty loyal fans base. Throw in the fact that Nashville is a party town and I'd like to see them go all the way, considering who remains. 

I downloaded a graph of their average attendance by year

image_att_graph.gif

21 hours ago, zepscoda said:

I grew up and continue to follow an original six team . I have a deep respect for the other 5 teams and their respective fan bases. I also love the sport, and really dig when hockey draws well in a  sun belt city.

Bridgestone Arena has a seating capacity of 17,113 for ice hockey, and they have an average draw of  over 16,000 per game since 2011. That's a pretty loyal fans base. Throw in the fact that Nashville is a party town and I'd like to see them go all the way, considering who remains. 

I downloaded a graph of their average attendance by year

image_att_graph.gif

I have to admit that they have been the team I'm most impressed with as well. I like Coach Laviolette too and, as you have just pointed out, they have devoted fan support. The fact that they lost two (temporarily three - I think Fisher will be back soon) of their best players and keep winning regardless is a real testament to them - and to Rinne, who has to be an early favorite for playoff MVP. They have just been really, really good from game 1 of the Blackhawks series onward...

I officially hate all 3 remaining teams.  I really could care less but I do not want Nashville to win.  No way. That country town does not deserve to win the Stanley Cup.  Let Pittsburgh win another one. I do not care.  Or Ottawa for the Canadians that really care.  I am sure many Canadians do not like the Sens, especially Leafs and Habs fans?

Bah! Canada fails again. Now we are stuck with Nashville vs. Pittsburgh...bargain basement Cup Final. When the NHL thread sinks to the second page of topics during the playoffs, you know interest has fallen off. I doubt I will watch one minute of one game of the Finals. This year has been the least amount of playoff action, NHL and NBA, I have watched in my life.

7 hours ago, Strider said:

Bah! Canada fails again. Now we are stuck with Nashville vs. Pittsburgh...bargain basement Cup Final. When the NHL thread sinks to the second page of topics during the playoffs, you know interest has fallen off. I doubt I will watch one minute of one game of the Finals. This year has been the least amount of playoff action, NHL and NBA, I have watched in my life.

You missed a good game. I also would have preferred Ottawa vs. Nashville/Anaheim, but the Pens are annoying in their habit of coming through in a pinch...

The Preds had a goal disallowed early in the 1st period (which may or may not have been the right call - I'll assume that the league had a definitive look that the TV viewers didn't have...I couldn't tell from the views we had), the Pens scored three goals in the 1st period (one at the very end of a full 2-minute 5-on-3 power play, one nice goal, and one flukey goal that bounced off of a Nashville defender), then didn't have another shot for the next 37 minutes (yes, thirty-seven). The Preds over the next two periods came all the way back to tie the game at 3 and came close to scoring a 4th goal shortly thereafter. On the shot that ended the Pens' shot drought, they scored on an attempt that Rinne really ought to have saved. The Preds had to pull the goaltender to try to tie the game up, and the Pens added a 5th goal. Final: 5-3, Pens. Nashville's defense was incredible most of the game - Rinne only faced 11 shots (the Pens' 12th shot was the empty-netter). The Pens will be relieved with the win, and Preds proved they can play with them.

Looking forward to Wednesday already. :)

3 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Glad those Hillbilly sons of bitches are getting beat.  Hate the bastards.  Blues should have won.   Had the best talent. 

Again with the Blues :)

Dude, I present you with this:

Archived