Jimmy Page and Joe Elliott to appear at Classic Rock Awards

sam_webmaster

^ But if Jimmy didn't play as an FU to the promoters, he should know that most of the people there were there because they believed he would play.. Not fair to the fans.. He could bitch and sue and say he was duped... but he still should have played. 

I'll leave it at that till there's a response from Jimmy and only Jimmy.  These other statements have just muddied the issue more than they helped clarify. 

1 hour ago, Kokugikan said:

Come to think of it Joe Elliott did not  perform either (but he "appeared" so I guess the threads title is still valid!) 

There is something to be said for the promoter's point of view that with so many artists involved changes to the lineup, sequence of events was not only to be expected but likely. Unfortunately for them, according to Classic Rock, Page was only contracted to appear, not perform. I think it is reasonable to suggest Page's non-performance would have been more understandable, if not acceptable, had he not been the co-headliner. However, he was, and for that they are feeling the heat. Meanwhile, BOYCOTT!

I think they are all guilty to some degree , in this sad story. 

No way TeamRock (or Classic Rock or whatever the "gaijin side" is called) could say that KLab (the Japanese side) wrongly assumed Jimmy would play and wrongly printed those posters etc , without them noticing the "misunderstanding"!(if it was one) way before the show. 

No way KLab should have left that unclear and just "assumed". There must have been a contract specifying who does what. Even in Japan where sometimes things are left vague and tacit , I can't believe they put him as headliner like Beck (who played) just for JP to handle a fucking award. 

And finally JP himself who had certainly seen the poster long before the show (if not signed off on it, after all he's known to be rather involved in details when it comes to his name and image) and knew that for the fans at least it obviously meant more than what he did. Maybe he just wanted the free first class trip to Tokyo with minimal effort ? 

Would be interesting to have a professional journalist , not involved with any party, make an in-depth inquiry and write an article or make a TV documentary about this farce.  In fact I think about alerting one or two , it could be a fascinating story!  Title : "How the East was Lost" (but "Fleeced" is good too) 

... Well many journalists seem to be on the case already , Japanese ones at least (after all some were in the Kokugikan that day) . I just read a few Japanese articles but most simply report what happened and that some fans are really pissed and ask for a refund and they also mention the "apology" press release of KLab (which has been deleted since but in some articles they show the screenshot of it).  No true inquiry yet. 

For what it's worth , the PR guy of KLab declared in this article that Jimmy was indeed supposed to play but then changed his mind. He says that he had brought his guitar with him. 

http://news.livedoor.com/lite/article_detail/12277087/

That's what the PR guy said to the journalist , if you want to GoogleTranslate it: 当初はジミー・ペイジは演奏するという話で進めていた。しかし、本番が近づくと、演奏はしないことになった。それでも数日前に来日したときに、ペイジはギターを持参していたんです

Any fan pic of Jimmy at the airport with said guitar? That would certainly rest the case! 

Regarding Kokugikan's previous two posts...I intend to call upon the renowned music presenter Masa Ito as well as one or two well known Japanese music journalists to put forward an inquiry with K-Lab. If K-Lab leadership has been truthful it should be reasonable for them to show the inquirer they do have the performance contract with Jimmy Page they claimed to have in their possession. I am also going to call upon an attorney friend of mine in the Marunouchi district to see if he might be interested in filing a class action lawsuit on behalf of all attendees against K-Lab & Classic Rock for fraudulent business practices. Thus far, all I have seen is a whole lotta finger pointing from both sides at each other. Going forward, I expect to see professional leadership providing clarity & truth to these proceedings. Meanwhile, BOYCOTT!      

Steve,

FYI I was just reading this post on a lawyers-related website about this issue (yeah the scandal is spreading fast!) 

https://www.bengo4.com/internet/n_5351/

Long story short they say in the end that according to Japanese consumer law there may be in fact a case to claim for a refund from the organizers , but also that if what KLab wrote is true, they have a case to sue JP. 

Ross Halfin's post. Says nothing about the incident, which is weird... 

http://www.rosshalfin.com/diary/november-2016/diary-november-2016.php

Good to know that a small part of my tickets money probably served to pay for his bedroom with Mount Fuji view !  (Park Hyatt Shinjuku, I suppose)  Hope you enjoyed it, Ross!  (-: 

As expected, no editorial comment from Dave Lewis on latest TBL about Page not playing.

Just a reproduction of the LZ news feed:

Led Zeppelin News Update:
In conjunction with the Led Zep news site, each week I will be re- producing highlights from their weekly email update news summary. This goes out every Sunday. Sign up details are below. Many thanks to James Cook.

Jimmy Page with Jeff Beck and Joe Perry at the Classic Rock Awards afterparty in Tokyo, Japan on November 11 (Instagram/disvicious1)

In short he had a good time with his pals , courtesy of all the poor peasants like us... Thanks Jimmy! 

Theres a saying about "better not to meet your heroes", well I guess that's as close as a meeting I will ever get and frankly that's enough. 

The guy on that stage that day used to be Jimmy Page. Now I don't know, and I don't care...

This feature includes a comment from Jimmy Page that he was invited to APPEAR and PRESENT AN AWARD, and readily agreed to. It seems clear he had no intention to perform...unfortunate given his repeated assurances that he wants to be seen playing live.

There's absolutely no excuse whatsoever for Jimmy Page being the co-headliner on promotional materials for this event. Thank you and fuck you Classic Rock Magazine and K-Lab Entertainment Co. Ltd. Rest assured a second Classic Rock Awards show in Tokyo will be met with a vigorous, well-coordinated boycott and a picket line at the venue. 

34 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

This feature includes a comment from Jimmy Page that he was invited to APPEAR and PRESENT AN AWARD, and readily agreed to. It seems clear he had no intention to perform...unfortunate given his repeated assurances that he wants to be seen playing live.

There's absolutely no excuse whatsoever for Jimmy Page being the co-headliner on promotional materials for this event. Thank you and fuck you Classic Rock Magazine and K-Lab Entertainment Co. Ltd. Rest assured a second Classic Rock Awards show in Tokyo will be met with a vigorous, well-coordinated boycott and a picket line at the venue. 

Its so fucking obvious that Page was never going to be playing at this crock of shit event. They had "an amp n guitar ready on the day" though.:D Hey, I wonder if Joe Elliott is getting the same amount of hate Page is for not performing at this Hollywood Vampire fest. Seriously though, what I'm most blown away by is Johnny Depp's english accent, the guys obviously lost his mind.

1 hour ago, blindwillie127 said:

Its so fucking obvious that Page was never going to be playing at this crock of shit event. They had "an amp n guitar ready on the day" though.:D Hey, I wonder if Joe Elliott is getting the same amount of hate Page is for not performing at this Hollywood Vampire fest. Seriously though, what I'm most blown away by is Johnny Depp's english accent, the guys obviously lost his mind.

Wasn't obvious by the posters.. maybe the promoters figured they could coax Page once he got there. Sucks all around..

11 minutes ago, the chase said:

Wasn't obvious by the posters.. maybe the promoters figured they could coax Page once he got there. Sucks all around..

8,000 attendees with tickets priced between $180 to $3000 USD means fans in Tokyo paid well over a million dollars to attend this. Jimmy didn't give the front row the common courtesy of a reach around and Jeff Beck didn't permit crews to film his performance. 

Archived