Jimmy Page and Joe Elliott to appear at Classic Rock Awards

sam_webmaster

Jimmy Paige? Paige?!?  :blink:

There you go...all the proof you need to know what a shoddy operation TeamRock runs. Never heard of them before this, myself. But anyone spelling Jimmy Page's last name as 'Paige' at this late date is a flat-out moron. 

With all this anger flying around I hope you all get together and direct it towards constructive use until you get satisfaction. Sounds like everything about the affair was half-assed.

On October 5, 2016 at 8:12 PM, juxtiphi said:

Feel free to disagree.

His calluses are gone and his fingers are week.    At his age coupled with how long it's been since he's actually played makes it near impossible for him to recover in a way he feels is respectable. I think he is deathly afraid of failing to hit the right notes while in a live setting that's being televised or recorded for posterity.

It's weird , I wanted to quote Strider above but got this different post instead. 

Anyway "Paige" means nothing here: it was a google translation of the original Japanese which must use katakana symbols anyway  (not alphabet) 

Ok so I checked the original announcement from KLab and this is the important point: "本番直前に、ジミー・ペイジ氏の意向により、演奏が行われませんでした".  

Its written "JUST BEFORE   (his turn on stage) , because of Jimmy Page's own intent , his performance didn't happen"

Of course there must be an explanation but if you believe the organizer himself he didn't get any. At this stage and until JP clarifies his side of the story there is not much we can add, I guess. 

It's sad that it's come to this.

This latest Page-no play appears to be the straw that broke the camel's back with fans.

If KLab's press release is accurate then Page has let down paying fans - big time.

If we do hear Page's side of things - which I doubt - I imagine it will be something along the lines of feeling unwell at the last minute or "unforeseen circumstances".

Was it that much of an effort to go on-stage and jam to TKR, a song he's been playing for 50 years and knows inside out? That was the bare minimum required given his billing.

Jimmy needs to come out and set the record straight.

1 hour ago, Boleskinner said:

It's sad that it's come to this.

This latest Page-no play appears to be the straw that broke the camel's back with fans.

If KLab's press release is accurate then Page has let down paying fans - big time.

If we do hear Page's side of things - which I doubt - I imagine it will be something along the lines of feeling unwell at the last minute or "unforeseen circumstances".

Was it that much of an effort to go on-stage and jam to TKR, a song he's been playing for 50 years and knows inside out? That was the bare minimum required given his billing.

Jimmy needs to come out and set the record straight.

Let's hear what he has to say first.

14 hours ago, bluecongo said:

Jimmy cant physically play properly anymore I am convinced.   Arthritis combined with tendinitis combined with lack of practice he has lost his gift.

all he has now is award shows.   Literally the only thing he can do publically.  

His performing days are truly done.  

I find it incredibly sad and tragic that Jimmy has become so cynical and isolated from reality.

Clapton, beck, Santana, Van Halen, Iommi, Blackmore, May, Buddy Guy, all these old guitar heroes still out there playing fantastically.  And the biggest of them all, Page, sits at home obsessing on his neighbors house, bitter at Robert and ripping off fans with half baked re-releases from his Golden Age 40 years in the past.

Kenneth Angers Curse of King Midas, hmmm maybe it worked. 

It seems to me that if Jimmy truly bailed just before he was expected to play then it must be because he's really insecure about his performing abilities. I can't imagine it was because of $ dispute. He's not hurting in that dept.  How hard can it be for him to play a blues or two and jam??Very sad, for the fans who paid big $ and were duped , and for Jimmy who it appears can't feel confident jamming on a frikin' blues. He should be able to do that in his sleep! 

This from gatts888 in Hong Kong:

The Japanese statement literally says they prepared all his equipment and amps on the day itself, and were only notified just before the performance (ie. a matter of an hour or less) he wouldn't go on, with no reason given. They seemed pretty peeved.

I'd say that pic shows the hands of a man in his 70s, nothing more or less. If he was going to give us the 'damaged hand' story again, surely it's in his interest to say it publicly.

Seems clear that he either physically can't play well any more, or has no interest in doing so. Probably a bit of both and quite where the truth lies, I doubt we will ever know. Clapton's physical problems are well-known and prevent him from playing like he used to, but he still enjoys getting out there and doing what he can. That's never - not even in the 70s - been the case with Page. It's sad that he seems to get no fun from playing anymore, when he could easily do so, if physically able. To bring in another Clapton-related theme, I've always been surprised Page has never done a slot at any of the Crossroads festivals in the US... everyone else has. That would have been an ideal showcase for him.

Is there a comprehensive list anywhere of all Page's known live playing appearances in the last nine years since the O2? Can't be many.

This statement can be found at the Japanese website http://classicrockawards.jp/
Here is the Google translation:
Quote:
We sincerely thank all of our teams and rockers for the audience who came to see Classic Rock Award 2016 and to all the musicians who participated in this special event.

This event, which took place on Friday the first time in Japan, took place at the Sumo sites of sumo wrestlers Tokyo and Bokkorikan, and was filled with thousands of rock fans.

Jeff Beck, Joe Perry, Rudolf Schenker, Johnny Depp, Phil Collin, Ritchie Sambola & Orianti, Tesla, Cheap Trick, and All Star House Band have played in front of a large audience It was.

Megadeth frontman Dave Mustain served as the host of this event host. Jo Eliot and Phil Collin (Def Leppard) were presented as presenters of the album of the year by the presenter Rudy Schenker. Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin also appeared as a presenter and awarded iconic award to Jeff Beck.

We came here and the fact that some Japanese fans came up with information to expect Jimmy Page's performance schedule reached us.

The schedule of the performance does not exist from the beginning, and Team rock all seems to be very strapped to such a mismatch of information.

Mr. Paige is coming to Japan on the assumption of participation in this event only. There was also a request for performance but has been declined. The agreement with Mr. Paige has been signed by K - Lab Entertaiment Co., Ltd., our partner 's partner, in advance.

The main act of this event was decided as Jeff Beck from the beginning.

Team • Rock and Classic • Rock expresses gratitude to Jimmy Page for years of support to Classic Rock Awards.

If you have any questions about this case please contact Team Rock Scott Rowley.

This would seem to be a second statement, one that walks back that of KLab Entertainment Co., Ltd. Representative Director Tetsuya Sanada's earlier statement. 

"The main act of this event was decided as Jeff Beck from the beginning" and "Page came to Japan on the assumption of participation only" is wholly inconsistent with Sanada's statement as well as the promotional materials.

Sanada. Rowley. Page...one or more of these three is either mistaken or covering for Page. 

I suggest getting on the same Page (pun intended) and publishing some plausible explanation in an upcoming issue of Classic Rock. 

Classic Rock Magazine BOYCOTT

This serves as public notice a boycott of Classic Rock Magazine has been called until it's Editorial Director, Scott Rowley, publishes in the magazine a plausible explanation for Jimmy Page's non-performance at the Classic Rock Awards Tokyo. Official explanation should be coordinated with KLab Entertainment Co., Ltd. Representative Director Tetsuya  Sanada.

Subscription cancellations and postponed purchasing of upcoming issues is encouraged until this unfortunate matter is resolved.  

Editorial Director: Scott Rowley
Editor in Chief: Alexander Milas
Editor: Siân Llewellyn
Editor at Large: Geoff Barton
Deputy Editor: Dave Everley
Art Editor: James Isaacs
Production Editor: Paul Henderson
Reviews Editor: Ian Fortnam
Deputy Art Editor: Darrell Mayhew
Assistant Features Editor: Polly Glass
Managing Editor: Jo Kendall
Online Editor: Fraser Lewry
Categories Music magazine
Frequency Monthly
Publisher TeamRock
Total circulation
(December 2012)
Year founded 1998
Country United Kingdom
Language English
Website www.classicrockmagazine.com
ISSN 1464-7834

7 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

Sounds like you would need to see the contract signed between KLab and Page to know for sure.

Also who produced the promotional materials KLab or Classic Rock Magazine?

Bottom Line - he didn't play...again.

We'll probably never know for sure. This business isn't known for honesty. However, given Classic Rock and KLab can't seem to get on the same page (pun intended) they are being publicly encouraged to take the opportunity to do so lest the professional reputation of Team Rock/Classic Rock as well as KLab be permanently damaged as a consequence of this incident.

The promotional materials include Japanese content, so KLab is almost certainly responsible for those. Word on the street (the bootleg district) suggests KLab is considered the "promoter" and Team Rock/Classic Rock is considered the "organizer". Jimmy's bootleg pals are pinning all the blame on KLab for the manner in which Page's involvement was advertised. However, we have the KLab statement insisting Page was expected to perform.

It's a mess that is too late to clean up. I hope those responsible own it and offer the public a plausible, full-coordinated explanation and sincere apology given they have already said NO to requests for refunds.   

5 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

There is speculation in some quarters that this photograph shows either blistering or chaffing to his left hand. Jimmy has apparently skipped town without providing any explanation for his non-performance to the organizers. 

hand_zps0dp0d4zj.jpg

Eric Clapton recording his latest studio LP I Still Do. The gloves on his hands were because he was suffering from eczema. 

I believe that Jimmy has been retired musician for quite a while now and his current job description is just that. I expect the next Led Zeppelin cd release will be How The East was Won.

Eric Clapton recording lp I Still Do.jpg

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:
This statement can be found at the Japanese website http://classicrockawards.jp/
Quote:
We sincerely thank all of our teams and rockers for the audience who came to see Classic Rock Award 2016 and to all the musicians who participated in this special event.

This event, which took place on Friday the first time in Japan, took place at the Sumo sites of sumo wrestlers Tokyo and Bokkorikan, and was filled with thousands of rock fans.

Jeff Beck, Joe Perry, Rudolf Schenker, Johnny Depp, Phil Collin, Ritchie Sambola & Orianti, Tesla, Cheap Trick, and All Star House Band have played in front of a large audience It was.

Megadeth frontman Dave Mustain served as the host of this event host. Jo Eliot and Phil Collin (Def Leppard) were presented as presenters of the album of the year by the presenter Rudy Schenker. Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin also appeared as a presenter and awarded iconic award to Jeff Beck.

We came here and the fact that some Japanese fans came up with information to expect Jimmy Page's performance schedule reached us.

The schedule of the performance does not exist from the beginning, and Team rock all seems to be very strapped to such a mismatch of information.

Mr. Paige is coming to Japan on the assumption of participation in this event only. There was also a request for performance but has been declined. The agreement with Mr. Paige has been signed by K - Lab Entertaiment Co., Ltd., our partner 's partner, in advance.

Team • Rock and Classic • Rock expresses gratitude to Jimmy Page for years of support to Classic Rock Awards.

If you have any questions about this case please contact Team Rock Scott Rowley.

This would seem to be a second statement, one that walks back that of KLab Entertainment Co., Ltd. Representative Director Tetsuya Sanada's earlier statement. 

"The main act of this event was decided as Jeff Beck from the beginning" and "Page came to Japan on the assumption of participation only" is wholly inconsistent with Sanada's statement as well as the promotional materials.

Sanada. Rowley. Page...one or more of these three is either mistaken or covering for Page. 

I suggest getting on the same Page (pun intended) and publishing some plausible explanation in an upcoming issue of Classic Rock. 

His name is Joe Elliott NOT Joe Elliot and it's Phil Collen not Phil Collin - can these guy running this circus show get anything right? 

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:
Quote:

"We came here and the fact that some Japanese fans came up with information to expect Jimmy Page's performance schedule reached us. The schedule of performance does not exist from beginning, and Team rock all seems to be very strapped to such a mismatch of information".

That right there is probably the truth. I am not buying the "we had had guitar n amp ready for Page on the day" just in case bullshit! Nope.

26 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

That right there is probably the truth. I am not buying the "we had had guitar n amp ready for Page on the day" just in case bullshit! Nope.

Although both official statements (one from the promoter, one from the organizers) have since been pulled, Classic Rock Magazine has made an official post to their Facebook page that essentially assigns all blame to the promoter (K-Lab Entertainment, Co., Ltd) for the confusion surrounding Jimmy Page's non-performance. Given the promotional materials were produced by K-Lab, I can see why that is their position on the matter. On the other hand, we have the promoter's statement that insists Page was expected to play and efforts were made to facilitate that. I find it very hard to believe any promoter in this market would advertise any artist (but especially Page) as a co-headliner without some contractual obligation in place to assure it. 

I stand by what I've posted here and elsewhere thus far. It's their mess to clean up, not mine. Meanwhile, BOYCOTT!       

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Although both official statements (one from the promoter, one from the organizers) have since been pulled, Classic Rock Magazine has made an official post to their Facebook page that essentially assigns all blame to the promoter (K-Lab Entertainment, Co., Ltd) for the confusion surrounding Jimmy Page's non-performance. Given the promotional materials were produced by K-Lab, I can see why that is their position on the matter. On the other hand, we have the promoter's statement that insists Page was expected to play and efforts were made to facilitate that. I find it very hard to believe any promoter in this market would advertise any artist (but especially Page) as a co-headliner without some contractual obligation in place to assure it. 

I stand by what I've posted here and elsewhere thus far. It's their mess to clean up, not mine. Meanwhile, BOYCOTT!       

"I find it very hard to believe any promoter in this market would advertise any artist (but especially Page) as a co-headliner without some contractual obligation in place to assure it". 

I don't agree. I wouldn't put it past a promoter to use Page's name on the bill to move tickets. He was there to present an award to his buddy, and hey, maybe he'll play in the jam at the end. Surely, we can't put the name Jimmy Page anywhere but at the top of the bill $$$. It was all so vague to begin with so I think they've left themselves enough wiggle room to walk away safely with that early non-refundable announcement in tact. Reputation...now thats another matter.

Its always good to follow the money, and in this case (imo) it leads straight to the promoter.

Archived