My matrix of Whole Lotta Love from Berlin 1980

Sue Dounim

46 minutes ago, Sue Dounim said:

Here's something I've been wanting to make for years and I finally did it. I'm very proud of this. Its mainly synced with the second audience tape but I filled the 2 minute cut with source one.

Awesome job, but the performance is painful.

The nadir being Page's guitar breaks in the du, du section and then the band screwing up the que to come back in.

What made you pick that particular live version?

Just now, Boleskinner said:

The nadir being Page's guitar breaks in the du, du section and then the band screwing up the que to come back in.

Well for one its the last and for two, despite what ever technical flaws, its a bone-crushingly heavy performance, and almost entirely unique unto itself with many jams never heard anywhere else.

3 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

You are kidding right? Right???

Except for Bonham messing up the timing and coming in late after the guitar break at 15:40 (so what, who cares, and they recovered perfectly very quickly) this is IMO not only the greatest WLL I have ever heard but one of the greatest live jams Zeppelin ever did hands down. From now on in fact, when the naysayers come calling and claim the band, and particularly Jimmy, was not up to form post 75' I will play them this.

Jimmy's playing throughout is not only excellent but on a whole other level. He is playing both guitar & theremin simultaneously in several sections and it actually sounds like an extra musician was on stage helping out. Jimmy's playing is completely out of this world, creating a rich soundscape, a visual representation of sound I have not heard since Hendrix. In fact, this makes me think of Jimmy finally figuring out what he wanted to do with the noise solo in 77' and putting it together in a cohesive, expressive manner within the framework of a song. 

For a 20 min song it felt like 5 min at the most, that is how captivating and perfect it was. I have heard snippets of this tune before but never the whole thing. The whole band is on fire throughout (except for the "unforgivable" timing mistake by Bonham at 15:40 of course) and Jimmy is just beyond amazing.

So yes, I guess in a way it is painful. Painful for the hordes of other bands who can only dream of reaching the heights Zeppelin did while performing this song, in this manner, on this singular night. What a way to end both a concert and an era. Perfect.

Thank you so very much Sue, you have just made my month...

4 hours ago, Sue Dounim said:

Well for one its the last and for two, despite what ever technical flaws, its a bone-crushingly heavy performance, and almost entirely unique unto itself with many jams never heard anywhere else.

Definitely fully agree Sue! :thumbsup:

22 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Except for Bonham messing up the timing and coming in late after the guitar break at 15:40 (so what, who cares, and they recovered perfectly very quickly) this is IMO not only the greatest WLL I have ever heard but one of the greatest live jams Zeppelin ever did hands down. From now on in fact, when the naysayers come calling and claim the band, and particularly Jimmy, was not up to form post 75' I will play them this.

Jimmy's playing throughout is not only excellent but on a whole other level. He is playing both guitar & theremin simultaneously in several sections and it actually sounds like an extra musician was on stage helping out. Jimmy's playing is completely out of this world, creating a rich soundscape, a visual representation of sound I have not heard since Hendrix. In fact, this makes me think of Jimmy finally figuring out what he wanted to do with the noise solo in 77' and putting it together in a cohesive, expressive manner within the framework of a song. 

For a 20 min song it felt like 5 min at the most, that is how captivating and perfect it was. I have heard snippets of this tune before but never the whole thing. The whole band is on fire throughout (except for the "unforgivable" timing mistake by Bonham at 15:40 of course) and Jimmy is just beyond amazing.

So yes, I guess in a way it is painful. Painful for the hordes of other bands who can only dream of reaching the heights Zeppelin did while performing this song, in this manner, on this singular night. What a way to end both a concert and an era. Perfect.

:goodpost: Ha ha ha, love it man!

Everyones ears are different.   The sound quality is great and so is performance, but for my ears it gives me a headache because of the heavy delay.    Some people may not be able to hear it, but I guess merging the 2 recordings, I can heard the delay and slight repeats

21 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Each to their own.

I love the versions of WLL on the early tours, but by 1977 onwards it was just thrown in as a crowd pleaser and they messed about with it to maintain their interest. It never felt like it was genuine and done with sincerity IMO.

The tour over Europe was meant to be about going back to basics with shorter performances. 20 mins? I would rather have seen Page focus on his basic technique than do a sound effects suite. The du, du guitar break is horrible: all broken notes and no fluency.

Anyway, great job on the matrix, its sounds grand. I just don't dig the performance.

Ignore the ignorant, this is a killer performance of WLL, without a doubt one of the most unique versions, and perhaps a glimpse into Zeps future.

great job on Matrix!

technical notes:. Page DID NOT use a theremin on this version.   Jimmy was experimenting with a new set up, he had 2 Echoplexes linked together, and furthermore, on this incredible version, he is using a slide for some of those crazy sweeping effects, then feeding one delay signal into another, just really groundbreaking shit.

awesome stuff.

2 hours ago, bluecongo said:

Ignore the ignorant, this is a killer performance of WLL, without a doubt one of the most unique versions, and perhaps a glimpse into Zeps future.

great job on Matrix!

technical notes:. Page DID NOT use a theremin on this version.   Jimmy was experimenting with a new set up, he had 2 Echoplexes linked together, and furthermore, on this incredible version, he is using a slide for some of those crazy sweeping effects, then feeding one delay signal into another, just really groundbreaking shit.

awesome stuff.

Thanks, did not know that...makes the creative aspect that more impressive.

On 9/23/2016 at 8:07 PM, Sue Dounim said:

Here's something I've been wanting to make for years and I finally did it. I'm very proud of this. Its mainly synced with the second audience tape but I filled the 2 minute cut with source one.

I can't see what you've posted?   All I see is the words you typed, any ideas?

I love it. Hands down the best WLL from e 80.

Page is on fire but I m surprised no one mentioned JPJs bass work. IMO he outplayed Jimmy on this one .

Super heavy too. With the exception of Europe 73 , Vienna 3/16 and Essen 3/22 it's every bit as heavy a WLL you can find.

The only thing I can ask for is Bonzo throwing in those thunderous fills.

I don't think JPJ played a heavier bass since some of the Fillmore 69 renditions of Killing Floor. 4/24 & 4/27.

He had a new bass set up and very it was pretty powerful. I don't recall what he was playing . Rickenbacher ?  Some low points for all during E 80. But, Jonesy was pretty solid throughout.

They where certainly going for a heavier sound on the E 80 tour.

Play this WLL , Trampled 6/30 and Heartbreaker 6/21 along with Train from 6/23 and you hear a band that  is playing some serious heavy metal.

Great job again. I love it. 

Archived