Quotes of Great Bands/Artists Who Liked/Disliked Led Zeppelin?

MortSahlFan

Seen Clapton live twice.  Once at the Hammersmith Odeon on his Money and Cigarettes tour, and once again, years later, at Madison Square Garden.  There's no doubt he's a fantastic guitarist, but a showman he is not.  Each time I saw him I found myself getting a little bored and, yes, un-entertained.  It's not a case of form over substance.  Live performances is not all about talent.  It has to be entertaining, otherwise you might as well just stay home and play the stuff on your stereo.  This, to me, is the difference between Clapton and Page. 

No i am not massive about Clapton. In fact i would say i only like the song they play at funerals, Tears in heaven. The rest i just find listenable. As for being men.charisma, entertainment etc. Then there is no contest between the 2.

On 11/12/2016 at 10:40 PM, FL6 said:

Jeff Beck was similar, no surprise they were very good friends, but didn't I read that both Clapton and Beck were equally offended that Page was getting all the attention during the ARMS tour? Not sure if I'm remembering that correctly. 

I remember the same. I think they were equally amazed because they saw him as a lesser guitarist than themselves, especially on Jimmy's off nights during the ARMS tour, I read that somewhere, but that's all that jealousy/ego crap that flies around.

On 11/22/2016 at 4:28 AM, Crimson Avenger said:

I can't resist chipping in a bit here. Clapton is a supremely gifted guitarist, although his health hasn't allowed him to play so well in the past couple of years. Anyone who comes out with the 'same scales, same lines' critique simply doesn't understand what Clapton does with a guitar. All his peers rate him, Beck, Page, Allman/Hendrix back in the day, Buddy Guy, and with good reason. Try telling any of them he can't play, and they would simply laugh at you. The weak link in Cream? I suppose you could argue that if forced to pick a name, but it's like asking who is the weak link in Zeppelin. There isn't one. Each member brings something unique to the mix.

That said, he's his own worst enemy from a reputational point of view, in that for years now he's been uninterested in playing much in the studio, and is happy to reel off the JJ Cale impressions. 1998's Pilgrim is the last one where he really shows you what he can do, but that was a hard album to like. More recently, the live thing with Steve Winwood from 2010 or so is well worth a listen, as is the Sessions for Robert J DVD, where he plays a lot of the Robert Johnson stuff properly, as in the originals. Not easy to do. Or the recent Wynton Marsalis thing, where he has a go at some trad jazz, much to everyone's surprise.

He's also sadly uninterested in solo live albums. So if you want to hear what Clapton can really do, you need to go to the live boots. He's probably a more booted artist than Zep, if that's possible, but try Double Image from Earls Court in 1998, or any of the blues tour stuff from 1994. There's a great AUD of the last night of that tour recorded in a small club in NYC, where he raises the roof.

Don't get me wrong, I love Page, and agree his Zep work shows him to have been a far better songwriter, arranger and producer in that period than EC has ever been. But I look at it like this. I'd contend that a fully fit Clapton could play anything from Page's back catalogue if he wanted, but I don't think that has ever held true the other way round.

Was watching Page with Plant in 95' on YouTube playing Thank You. I sincerely doubt Clapton could have nailed what Page did in both the middle and outro solos. Not only was Page lighting fast (Clapton is not a speed player, never has been), but extremely precise and his ability to both play fast runs AND articulate the phrasing to produce the legendary three dimension, visual playing style which was a Page trademark (when he played well of course) is remarkable. This to me is what separates Page's live playing from most of the others. Clapton is a great player, but the fact is Clapton does not nor ever did have the capability to play much of what Page did live in regard to his soloing. Another great example: The OTHAFA solo's he did on LTTE. That shit right there is on a different planet.

IMO there are only a handful guitarists from that era who could play both fast and have the phrasing and articulation to make what is just a flurry of notes sound melodic and emotional. Page, Beck, Gallagher, Blackmore, and of course Hendrix.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2016 at 1:58 AM, IpMan said:

I remember reading that quote from Van Halen too and almost fell off my chair laughing. The two times I saw them in Phoenix, EVH (during the 84' show) made Jimmy's playing in Tempe  in 77' look flawless...he was so drunk DLR turned his amps way down and Michel Anthony carried the show. The second time I saw them in 87' EVH played brilliantly though. Whenever I see that quote I think...those in glass houses ya know.

Alex Lifeson cites Page as a major influence and both he & Geddy Lee have said several times how much Zeppelin influenced them.

I honestly think rush is a band that can approach led zeppelin's ability (all in one band).  clearly there is an influence there.  all 3 are amazing in the own right.

back to topic I don't know of many musicians that were critical of them.  I read online that the rolling stones drummer did not think bonzo was the greatest, but then I read other comments where he says that bonzo is the greatest.  I know some people that think zeppelin were too over the top..in your face if you will.  I heard howard stern called them a cover band.  some complained that they strayed too far in concert from their studio versions.   some thought they were too loud...too dark..i've even heard too gay before.   I thought it was maybe an american/conservative thing....but I recently heard page tell a story that he tried to pick up a lady at picadilly circus and she made a comment that she thought he and robert were a couple.  I obviously don't agree with zeppelin's negative critics.  they did it their way.   it was all part of who they were and their creativity and rebellion from the mainstream made them great.  

• 6 months later...
On 9/26/2016 at 11:02 PM, Mithril46 said:

Well Hendrix was seriously after Bonzo, saying he had "a foot( or feet) like a bunch of castenets". Not the exact quote, but

close. Prince( ist album 79' ?? Said "Other guitarists play in black and white, Page plays in color"). Ted Nugent said in the 70's Page was an extraordinary guitarist and composer.

What's the source on Bonzo and Hendrix. 

• 3 months later...

I effing hate Billy Joel and however much he loves Led Zeppelin, it's too bad their influence didn't rub off on him. VOMIT.

I think Clapton is an extremely talented guitar virtuoso, but he and Jimmy are completely different. If I was forced to pick one as "better" than the other, I of course would go with Jimmy though. But mostly, just different.

I like Clapton's solo stuff and I love Derek and the Dominoes but remember being really surprised that most of the amazing guitar work was done by Duane Allman. Not that I don't think Allman is a genius, just that I spent a great deal of listening time thinking that it was Clapton on the axe. "Little Wing" never fails to get me in the feels and it's one of the very few songs that I think someone else did better than Hendrix. Maybe the only one. 

On 12/30/2016 at 7:50 PM, DallasTexan said:

I honestly think rush is a band that can approach led zeppelin's ability (all in one band).  clearly there is an influence there.  all 3 are amazing in the own right.

back to topic I don't know of many musicians that were critical of them.  I read online that the rolling stones drummer did not think bonzo was the greatest, but then I read other comments where he says that bonzo is the greatest.  I know some people that think zeppelin were too over the top..in your face if you will.  I heard howard stern called them a cover band.  some complained that they strayed too far in concert from their studio versions.   some thought they were too loud...too dark..i've even heard too gay before.   I thought it was maybe an american/conservative thing....but I recently heard page tell a story that he tried to pick up a lady at picadilly circus and she made a comment that she thought he and robert were a couple.  I obviously don't agree with zeppelin's negative critics.  they did it their way.   it was all part of who they were and their creativity and rebellion from the mainstream made them great.  

You'd be surprised how many were/are trendy.... When public opinion is on someone's side, they jump all over it. And vice-versa..... For example, Rolling Stone magazine would say how Zeppelin (Floyd and many other legends) was a "fad" or "awful" but once it was established by everyone (conformity), they'd get a different writer to "update".

Bruce Springsteen interview 1975: "They're like a lot of those groups. Not only aren't they not doing anything new, they don't do the old stuff so good, either." He also said: "looks like the Zeppelin boys need to do some more rehearsing, they can't seem to remember how their own songs are supposed to be played". 

57 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

Bruce Springsteen interview 1975: "They're like a lot of those groups. Not only aren't they not doing anything new, they don't do the old stuff so good, either." He also said: "looks like the Zeppelin boys need to do some more rehearsing, they can't seem to remember how their own songs are supposed to be played". 

I’m a New Jersey-born guy and I love Bruce but he is out of his mind here.  Zeppelin “not doing anything new?”  The E Street Band sounds like a Detroit bar band from the early 60’s, that’s not a put down either but it’s true.  They brought nothing new to the sound of rock and roll, and I like them!  Meanwhile in 75 when Bruce made this comment Zeppelin was playing stuff like Kashmir in concert for the first time, how’s that for something new?

I can only assume Bruce’s comment was a combination of youthful bravado and AsburyPark cocaine.. 😉

On 22/07/2017 at 2:42 AM, Lady zeppelin said:

What's the source on Bonzo and Hendrix. 

I think it’s an often quoted ‘factoid’ that gets exaggerated a lot. If I remember rightly it wasn’t a direct quote from Jimi himself but an interview with somebody else who said  Jimi thought bonzo had a right foot like a pair of castanets. That’s all.

17 hours ago, babysquid said:

I think it’s an often quoted ‘factoid’ that gets exaggerated a lot. If I remember rightly it wasn’t a direct quote from Jimi himself but an interview with somebody else who said  Jimi thought bonzo had a right foot like a pair of castanets. That’s all.

I've seen it posted online here and there that Hendrix supposedly said "That drummer has a right foot like a jack rabbit" which seems more feasible to me.

4 hours ago, Ross62 said:

I've seen it posted online here and there that Hendrix supposedly said "That drummer has a right foot like a jack rabbit" which seems more feasible to me.

Yes I’ve seen that before as well so it’s hardly a reliable quote.

True story no bs...

it was about the time the Stones album Dirty Work came out. I was in Staten Island NY. My sisters best friend happened to be Keith Richard's wife's niece. She eventually became their nanny or something like that but my sister also got close with Keith and Patty. I was delivering food as a young teenager and somehow ( no cell phones ? ) she got in touch with me and said Keith was in town for a family party should you like to meet him. Hell yeah!!! Me and my Chinese food delivery partner bolted over to the hall smelling like egg rolls and wanton and strutted into the party. I was met by my sister who excitingly took me over to Mr. Richards who was standing against a stage like one would see in a school. He had his skull ring on and everything.  " Keith Keith this is my brother Dan and his friend John "... All I can say is that Keith Richards ( I met him after that again) is a gentleman and very kind to my sister too. Here is the kicker .. I was and still am a huge Zep head back then . I knew Jimmy played on Dirty Work so I had the gall to ask Keith about working with him . This was his exact answer to me- in of course his British accent - " Jimmy Jimmy is a lovely Guitar player just lovely , he has his problems but just a lovely guitar player." So here I am meeting Keith Richards  ( photo to prove ) and i'm asking him about Jimmy Page.!!

Proof that I was hardcore fan. I'm a huge fan of the Stones also. All I can say about Keith is that he didn't get the hard bombastic sound that Zep had. He also wasn't a fan of Planty and his golden locks look and all the strutting around. Which always baffled me since Keith's partner wore eye shadow, as did Keith , and strutted around stage like a feminine chicken. 

Jagger had a more professional point and opinion about Zep I feel. Richard's wore everything on his sleeve and if he didn't like you he would tell you. Jagger was more polite I believe and respected Led Zeppelin as also Queen did.  It was the music, yes, but it was how they carried themselves and did business as Brian May eluded to once before. 

Getting back to Keith. I don't think he liked a lot of people in the industry.

1 hour ago, Blaize86 said:

True story no bs...

it was about the time the Stones album Dirty Work came out. I was in Staten Island NY. My sisters best friend happened to be Keith Richard's wife's niece. She eventually became their nanny or something like that but my sister also got close with Keith and Patty. I was delivering food as a young teenager and somehow ( no cell phones ? ) she got in touch with me and said Keith was in town for a family party should you like to meet him. Hell yeah!!! Me and my Chinese food delivery partner bolted over to the hall smelling like egg rolls and wanton and strutted into the party. I was met by my sister who excitingly took me over to Mr. Richards who was standing against a stage like one would see in a school. He had his skull ring on and everything.  " Keith Keith this is my brother Dan and his friend John "... All I can say is that Keith Richards ( I met him after that again) is a gentleman and very kind to my sister too. Here is the kicker .. I was and still am a huge Zep head back then . I knew Jimmy played on Dirty Work so I had the gall to ask Keith about working with him . This was his exact answer to me- in of course his British accent - " Jimmy Jimmy is a lovely Guitar player just lovely , he has his problems but just a lovely guitar player." So here I am meeting Keith Richards  ( photo to prove ) and i'm asking him about Jimmy Page.!!

Proof that I was hardcore fan. I'm a huge fan of the Stones also. All I can say about Keith is that he didn't get the hard bombastic sound that Zep had. He also wasn't a fan of Planty and his golden locks look and all the strutting around. Which always baffled me since Keith's partner wore eye shadow, as did Keith , and strutted around stage like a feminine chicken. 

Jagger had a more professional point and opinion about Zep I feel. Richard's wore everything on his sleeve and if he didn't like you he would tell you. Jagger was more polite I believe and respected Led Zeppelin as also Queen did.  It was the music, yes, but it was how they carried themselves and did business as Brian May eluded to once before. 

Thanks, great post mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Blaize, what a great story!!! Glad to hear Richards isn't a total a-hole, it's always disappointing when public figures just want a little privacy ;-)

Regarding Bruce, him saying that about Zep doesn't surprise me. I think he's talented, he does great things for the citizens of NJ, but I find him to be an insufferable virtue signaler! And I don't care for his music either, even though I grew up in NJ!

• 1 month later...

Not so much an opinion by another musician, but an interesting book to read is Keith Emersons autobiography 'Pictures of an Exhibitionist' .  He recounts a couple of meetings with Led Zep including a party where he bumped into Bonzo and they decided to quit the party and head out and listen to some music and partake of chemical entertainment. Bonzo sticks on some Zep and says something like 'Fuckin great band!' and KE says he had to agree, and also says that to be honest he was always jealous of Zeps success. When Jason Bonham toured with ELP on their 90's reunion KE says that he sort of felt responsible for looking out for him as he'd known his Dad. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2017 at 6:39 AM, Blaize86 said:

True story no bs...

I have seen Jagger twice talk about Led Zeppelin.  I saw him list Zeppelin's Rock and Roll as one of his 10 favorite songs and I also saw him say that he did not like ITTOD.

• 2 months later...
On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 11:37 AM, MortSahlFan said:

There's a picture of David GIlmour (PInk Floyd) and The McCartney's at a Led Zeppelin concert, I am guessing they were fans.

That Picture is from Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Wembley 1974

Archived