Classic Rock magazine voted Stairway to Heaven as best guitar solo ever.

Balthazor

There is no definitive answer as to what is the "best" guitar solo ever....How about an alphabetical list instead of a trivial 1-100 poll. If a guitar solo is a "wow that's a really good guitar solo'' it's just that, why try and say one great solo is better than another great solo, there is no number one there is no number one hundred, just shitloads of really great guitar solos by shitloads of great guitar players...

I think it should be "most influential" not "best". sibly is better than stairway imo but the phrasing and licks of the stairway solo are more iconic and memorable. sibly is a lot of really fast licks and it is a deeper cut so not as many people know the song :o

also I think many of the guitarists on there have much better songs that should have been considered, tony iommi has way better solos than paranoid; children of the grave, planet caravan, symptom of the universe just to name a few.

comfortable numb should be #1 imo. jimmys my favorite guitarist but credit where credit is due. I have never heard another solo like it that wasnt an attempt to copy it.

The studio Stairway solo pales in comparison to the Song Remains the Same movie version.  Jimmy's studio solos are usually only the beginning of what we would create live.  And sometimes live he came up with stuff not even hinted at in the studio - for example, Immigrant Song and Celebration Day.

Another amazing live solo is No Quarter from the movie.  So much better than the studio version.  The studio version is merely the kernal of an idea which would later blossom live.

My favorite Page solo (there is not really a way to determine "best") is still Danish TV How Many More Times.  I have not found another version I like as much.  There is something about the phrasing, the tone, the way he attacks it, the fluency, and the feeling.  

As far as Comfortably Numb, I much prefer Gilmour's solos on Echoes from Live at Pompeii and Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts 5 - 9.      

On 10/7/2016 at 4:35 PM, JTM said:

There is no definitive answer as to what is the "best" guitar solo ever....How about an alphabetical list instead of a trivial 1-100 poll. If a guitar solo is a "wow that's a really good guitar solo'' it's just that, why try and say one great solo is better than another great solo, there is no number one there is no number one hundred, just shitloads of really great guitar solos by shitloads of great guitar players...

Well sure, these lists are annoying and absurd, and tend to be more of a popularity contest than anything else. Still, absurd though they may be, when our guys end up at the top of one of them, it's worth gloating about...at least a little. :)

On 10/7/2016 at 2:35 PM, JTM said:

+1 I knew there was a reason I liked you.

On 10/7/2016 at 3:43 PM, Balthazor said:

http://teamrock.com/news/2016-10-06/led-zeppelin-s-stairway-to-heaven-voted-greatest-guitar-solo-ever

The fact that Since I've Been Loving You isn't in the top 10 is a shame, but hey, can't win 'em all.

I hope someone forwards this to Spirit and Randy California's horrid sisters, along with a note that says "suck it!"

I don't agree with this list at all. Although I like most of these solos, no way are they the best technically. I'm a crap guitarist but I can more or less play the "Paranoid" and STH solos from the albums. Compare "Paranoid" to "Warning." The STH solo doesn't compare to Heartbreaker in my opinion nor to the Dazed and Confused solos from the live performances.  I think this is just a list of popular solos that have gotten a lot of radio play.

15 hours ago, ScarletMacaw said:

I don't agree with this list at all. Although I like most of these solos, no way are they the best technically. I'm a crap guitarist but I can more or less play the "Paranoid" and STH solos from the albums. Compare "Paranoid" to "Warning." The STH solo doesn't compare to Heartbreaker in my opinion nor to the Dazed and Confused solos from the live performances.  I think this is just a list of popular solos that have gotten a lot of radio play.

Just because a solo is easy to play, that doesn't diminish it's greatness.

Many solid things mentioned.  

I share the sentiments of a list comprised of many songs.  

There are many fabulous solos that are never mentioned, ie; Machine Gun by Jimi Hendrix, Space Child or Rock Bottom by UFO/Michael Schenker, Life Without You by SRV, etc., etc.

Archived