Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
leddy

Purple/Rainbow/Blackmore etc

I guess this is the most appropriate topic to post this rather odd video of Blackmore's Night. Here they are performing a somewhat obscure Jethro Tull song named "Rainbow Blues". The video jumps around, mainly focusing on Blackmore and his band, but also includes some Tull footage. I like watching the female singer (Candice) laying in bed singing.

Edited by JethroTull

Ah yes, Deep Purple - the Cortinas of rock. Never remotely in the same league as LZ, but I used to love them, and can hardly bear to listen to them these days. I put on Made in Japan recently, and had to turn it off after 3 songs. Eww.

IMO, the MKII sound has aged REALLY badly. Too much yucky Hammond. "Taxi for Mr Lord?" Their studio albums were puny, and their live improvisations deadly boring. Mks III & IV were more interesting musically, and haven't aged nearly as badly.

Baldrick's high-water mark was with RJD, specifically Rainbow Rising, side 2 to be precise. What a colossal side of vinyl that was. Ok, so Stargazer was a desperate Kashmir tribute, which has nevertheless rightly earned 'classic' status, but 'Light in the Black' is the true unsung epic, probably Baldrick's crowning glory. Absolutely stunning.

Nobody was in the league as Zeppelin when they were on form live..period, but Purple were more cosistant live and were and are in the higher orgder of bands, Blackmore did say he wrote "Stargazer" after hearing "Kashmir", but its not second rate,The late/great Dio's vocals are good.

PS The hammond is glorious and Lord is a virtuoso. Blackmore had to work hard to keep up with this guy.

Rainbow was my first concert, as a 10th grader in 1983. Blackmore was amazing. I remember "Jealous Lover" lasting like 20 minutes, his fingers blazing the whole song.

I first got into Deep Purple about the same time, with "Deepest Purple." I went straight from there into the albums, with "Machine Head" being my favorite. I have the original quadraphonic mix on SACD...the mix is great, the sound quality so-so.

Thats cool, I got "Deepest Purple in 1980" and saw them many times from 1985 onwards, first being at "Mudworth" or "Knebworth 85" as its better known, I never did get to see Rainbow as was more into Purple, but seeing them at Knebs was my fave concert moment up untill 2007.

Where abouts did you see Rainbow ??

Edited by leddy

Thats cool, I got "Deepest Purple in 1980" and saw them many times from 1985 onwards, first being at "Mudworth" or "Knebworth 85" as its better known, I never did get to see Rainbow as was more into Purple, but seeing them at Knebs was my fave concert moment up untill 2007.

Knebworth 1985. ;)

Me too Leddy, do you remember all the bottle throwing? and that fat guy, what was his name? ah yes, Meat Loaf, with his broken leg in plaster, and as he tried to dodge MY bottle he fell Arse over Tit, twas my Greatest achievement to that date, bloody marvelous it was.

Kind Regards, Danny

Deepest Purple was my first Purple album too. Have you seen the 30th Anniversary Edition? It comes with a really good DVD, I got it for Christmas.

I never got to see them live unfortunately. I can remember all the buzz when the MkII lineup reformed though.

Knebworth 1985. ;)

Me too Leddy, do you remember all the bottle throwing? and that fat guy, what was his name? ah yes, Meat Loaf, with his broken leg in plaster, and as he tried to dodge MY bottle he fell Arse over Tit, twas my Greatest achievement to that date, bloody marvelous it was.

Kind Regards, Danny

LOl was that really you ?? I remember that, was sitting on top a porta loo at the time near the front and side, drenched, cold and pissed off, but Purple made it all worth it. Do you remember the night before in the camp site that The Friday Rock Show was being broadcast from there and Vance was wlking around with Ian Gillan, what other big group would have a member doing that the night before their first show back home in years. Gillan good egg, just a shame he and Blackers couldn't get on .

Here is some of my sad memorabilia and photo's from that wet,cold lovely weekend :)

Press-ad-brown.jpg85p.jpgkneb85.jpgpuonstage85th.jpg

85posters.jpg

Deepest Purple was my first Purple album too. Have you seen the 30th Anniversary Edition? It comes with a really good DVD, I got it for Christmas.

I never got to see them live unfortunately. I can remember all the buzz when the MkII lineup reformed though.

I have seen it on the web on the purps website, haven't got it though, is the dvd good ?? whats on it ??

Edited by leddy

LOl was that really you ?? I remember that

I remember reading about it in Kerrang! :)

I have seen it on the web on the purps website, haven't got it though, is the dvd good ?? whats on it ??

This; :D

"Jon Lord discusses 'Hush'"

"Hush (Playboy After Dark, 1968)"

"Jon Lord discusses arriving in the US for the first time"

"Jon Lord discusses miming for German TV"

"'Speed King' (Vicky Leandros show, German TV, 1970)"

"Jon Lord discusses the writing of 'Child In Time'"

"Child In Time (new clip)"

"Jon Lord discusses the power of 'Child In Time'"

"Jon Lord discusses the recording of 'Black Night'"

"'Black Night' (classic 1970 video clip)"

"Jon Lord discusses 'Fireball'"

"'Fireball' (German TV performance on Disco ZDF, 1971)"

"Jon Lord discusses the Fireball album"

"Jon Lord discusses the writing of 'Strange Kind Of Woman'"

"'Strange Kind Of Woman' (Top Of The Pops, BBC, 1971)"

"Jon Lord discusses 'Demon's Eye'"

"'Demon's Eye' (Music Today, RBB Berlin)"

"Jon Lord discusses 'Highway Star'"

"'Highway Star' (Beat Club, German TV, 1971)"

"Jon Lord discusses 'Never Before'"

"'Never Before' (Classic 1970's video clip)"

"Jon Lord discusses 'Smoke On The Water' and the story behind it"

"'Smoke On The Water' (Hofstra University, 1973)"

"Jon Lord discusses the choice of singles"

"Jon Lord discusses 'Woman From Tokyo'"

"'Woman From Tokyo' (new clip)"

"'Made in Japan' / 'Space Truckin (new clip from Made In Japan footage)"

"Jon Lord discusses 'Burn'"

"'Burn' (London, 1974)"

"Jon Lord discusses 'You Keep On Moving'"

"'You Keep On Moving'"

"Jon Lord discusses 'Stormbringer'"

"'Stormbringer' (new clip)"

"'You Keep On Moving' (new clip)"

Thanks, Wikipedia. ;)

I remember reading about it in Kerrang! :)

This; :D

"Jon Lord discusses 'Hush'"

"Hush (Playboy After Dark, 1968)"

"Jon Lord discusses arriving in the US for the first time"

"Jon Lord discusses miming for German TV"

"'Speed King' (Vicky Leandros show, German TV, 1970)"

"Jon Lord discusses the writing of 'Child In Time'"

"Child In Time (new clip)"

"Jon Lord discusses the power of 'Child In Time'"

"Jon Lord discusses the recording of 'Black Night'"

"'Black Night' (classic 1970 video clip)"

"Jon Lord discusses 'Fireball'"

"'Fireball' (German TV performance on Disco ZDF, 1971)"

"Jon Lord discusses the Fireball album"

"Jon Lord discusses the writing of 'Strange Kind Of Woman'"

"'Strange Kind Of Woman' (Top Of The Pops, BBC, 1971)"

"Jon Lord discusses 'Demon's Eye'"

"'Demon's Eye' (Music Today, RBB Berlin)"

"Jon Lord discusses 'Highway Star'"

"'Highway Star' (Beat Club, German TV, 1971)"

"Jon Lord discusses 'Never Before'"

"'Never Before' (Classic 1970's video clip)"

"Jon Lord discusses 'Smoke On The Water' and the story behind it"

"'Smoke On The Water' (Hofstra University, 1973)"

"Jon Lord discusses the choice of singles"

"Jon Lord discusses 'Woman From Tokyo'"

"'Woman From Tokyo' (new clip)"

"'Made in Japan' / 'Space Truckin (new clip from Made In Japan footage)"

"Jon Lord discusses 'Burn'"

"'Burn' (London, 1974)"

"Jon Lord discusses 'You Keep On Moving'"

"'You Keep On Moving'"

"Jon Lord discusses 'Stormbringer'"

"'Stormbringer' (new clip)"

"'You Keep On Moving' (new clip)"

Thanks, Wikipedia. ;)

Will haveto get that, I got "History,Hits and Highlights" on Dvd, which is very good. Glen Hughes and BCC are dam fine band with Jason are they not ? "One last Soul" is one catchy Mother :)

Edited by leddy

LOl was that really you ?? I remember that, was sitting on top a porta loo at the time near the front and side, drenched, cold and pissed off, but Purple made it all worth it. Do you remember the night before in the camp site that The Friday Rock Show was being broadcast from there and Vance was wlking around with Ian Gillan, what other big group would have a member doing that the night before their first show back home in years. Gillan good egg, just a shame he and Blackers couldn't get on .

Hi Leddy,

Yes, well as I'm the only one with the balls to claim such a think I'll say in Print that "I BIGDAN threw that bottle" although it was one of many that were aimed at the Fat Ejut. :o

Wasn't there the night before so I didn't know any of what you said, but yea Gillan is quite the ordinary man in real life, a couple of friends of mine had a few pints with him many years ago and all said he was a very nice guy. Blackmore on the other hand could start a fight with himself in his sleep, he fcuked up every band he was with, present one excepted, but then he is screwing the singer. :o;):lol:

Kind Regards, Danny

Will haveto get that, I got "History,Hits and Highlights" on Dvd, which is very good. Glen Hughes and BCC are dam fine band with Jason are they not ? "One last Soul" is one catchy Mother :)

Still haven't seen that DVD or heard that band. A Purple fan at work has raved about both though, so I should really get around to checking them out.

Hi Leddy,

Yes, well as I'm the only one with the balls to claim such a think I'll say in Print that "I BIGDAN threw that bottle" although it was one of many that were aimed at the Fat Ejut. :o

Wasn't there the night before so I didn't know any of what you said, but yea Gillan is quite the ordinary man in real life, a couple of friends of mine had a few pints with him many years ago and all said he was a very nice guy. Blackmore on the other hand could start a fight with himself in his sleep, he fcuked up every band he was with, present one excepted, but then he is screwing the singer. :o;):lol:

Kind Regards, Danny

Well I love Blackmore for being a dick, thats what makes him, pound for pound I think he has come up with as many classic rock songs than anyone. I have based my entire life dressing in black playing a cream strat, starting fights with myself, being a rt moody Tw*t, married twice, divorced twice kinda guy :unsure::rolleyes::) , only thing is I am not Sha**ing the singer, although I was the flute player, but thats just not Rock'n'Roll <_< and I don't own a castle in Bavaria.

Still haven't seen that DVD or heard that band. A Purple fan at work has raved about both though, so I should really get around to checking them out.

Black Country Communion...."One Last Soul".....You Tube :)

Edited by leddy

Black Country Communion....One last Soul......you tube man :)

"

"

"Child in Time" solo 1993

Ritchie's last show with Purple, I saw him/them about a week ten days before this at the infamous (dvd) "Come Hell or High Water" at Birmingham NEC, this was one of the few moments that Ritchie let rip and forgot his turmoil with the band....Epic stuff.

Edited by leddy

"

"

"Child in Time" solo 1993

Ritchie's last show with Purple, I saw him/them about a week ten days before this at the infamous (dvd) "Come Hell or High Water" at Birmingham NEC, this was one of the few moments that Ritchie let rip and forgot his turmoil with the band....Epic stuff.

That video is from the NEC, I was there too, the last show in England, but the last show was here in Helsinki

(video highway star - Audio speed king)

Edited by Conneyfogle

The thing that bugs me most is a majority of their boots sound like shit and are inaudible.

If you want to hear some decent ones try the boots that were remastered by the DPAS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Vol_1_%26_2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_in_Stockholm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Jamming

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perks_and_Tit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Wings_of_a_Russian_Foxbat

Agh Steve Morse the guitarists guitarist.

I think that is such a good song. Zeppelinesque almost!

I think that is such a good song. Zeppelinesque almost!

yeh its all a good album and love "Hey Cisco"

315465_461743897179489_2004455795_n.jpg

Deep Purple (Overseas) and EMI are pleased to announce The 40th Anniversary Edition of "MACHINE HEAD" is to be released on October 8th 2012.

This five discs special edition will be accompanied with fully illustrated 60 page hardback booklet, housed in a luxury box.

CONTENTS INCLUDE:

•CD1: ‘MACHINE HEAD’ ORIGINAL ALBUM 2012 REMASTER

•CD2: 1997 REMIX BY DP's BASSIST ROGER GLOVER

•CD3: ORIGINAL ALBUM QUAD SQ STEREO (2012 REMASTER)

•CD4: IN CONCERT ’72 - 2012 MIX (RECORDED LIVE AT PARIS THEATRE, LONDON 9TH MARCH 1972)

•CD5: 2012 HIGH RESOULTION REMASTER & SURROUND MIX (DVD)

Booklet features:

•Detailed essays from original bassist Roger Glover and Mojo magazine editor Phil Alexander

•Quotations from Deep Purple fans Mikael Akerfelt, Luke Morley, Sebastian Vettel, Eddie Jordan, Brian Tatler, Janick Gers and Peter Hook.

• An interview with famed photographer Didi Zill, whose photos of the legendary recording sessions in Switzerland illustrate the booklet.

Edited by Jahfin