Purple/Rainbow/Blackmore etc

leddy

Yea, me too. And the band around him would be Elf or "Rainbow MK1" as it is usually called 'cos they did it the best. Sadly Cozy Powell isn't seeing it...

Dio has said he'd never do it for that very reason.

I would want to see Deep Purple MK1 once more... Possible?

No. I'd bet my house on that never happening.

You saw them?

I saw Rainbow in December of '75 in Seattle, WA at the Paramount Theater. I was a huge Deep Purple fan so I had to check them out. They were brilliant! There were a lot of empty seats though, sad.

That must of been good, I read that alot of the tour you saw had empty seats, Purple were just very popular then and i guess Ritchies name wasn't a big draw there as it was in UK !!

Don't think its pos in my opinion, I would like to see MK III again. Jon Lord has said that he would like to do one last DP gig were all members play from every lineup..if he could pull that off then I for one would be like last year getting a Zep ticket, i would sell my gran :)

If Paice leaves Purple, that could be possible...

I would of take that "last gig" too.

MKI Wasn't so good, but they could do it just for fun... But I don't think its possible after Rod's own "Deep Purple"

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats Ritchie, There is a short interview with Candice in Classic rock this month, when asked if she is the Yoko Ono and stopping Ritchie playing with Purple/Rainbow again, she replied look Ritchie is Ritchie and he will do what he wants...I tend to agree..sadly missed though in the rock world :(..although I think they said he plays alot more electric guitar on the new album :) and covers a Rainbow tune.

I don't know if I have posted any post's in this thread before, but IMO I think together with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, Deep Purple was one of the greatest bands of the 70's (especially MKII).

Made in Japan and Machine Head are two of my favourite albums.

• 5 weeks later...

3039644657_e08a10cdd9_o.jpg

Former RAINBOW musicians Joe Lynn Turner, Tony Carey, Bobby Rondinelli and Greg Smith have united with a second-generation Blackmore to form OVER THE RAINBOW.

OVER THE RAINBOW is:

Joe Lynn Turner (RAINBOW 1980-1984) - Vocals

Tony Carey (RAINBOW 1975-1978) - Keyboards

Bobby Rondinelli (RAINBOW 1980-1983) - Drums

Greg Smith (RAINBOW 1994-1997) - Bass

Jürgen "J.R." Blackmore - Guitar

Carey, who has produced several artists (including Joe Cocker and David Knopfler) since his RAINBOW days, says, "Having done everything from country to opera, I thought it would be fun to play some rock again without the burden of singing everything."

Rondinelli adds, "OVER THE RAINBOW reunites members of one of the most distinctive sounding bands of all time and introduces a hidden treasure to the world in J.R. Blackmore."

The son of the iconic RAINBOW founder/guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, Jürgen Blackmore is a critically acclaimed guitarist in his own right and agreed to join this endeavor after realizing how intense the demand was for a RAINBOW "reunion." OVER THE RAINBOW marks the first time that four members from three different eras of RAINBOW will take the stage together along with J.R. Blackmore.

RAINBOW has spawned over 20 albums (five gold, four silver), seven Billboard Hot 100 and Mainstream Rock tracks, six Top 75 UK songs and at least seven MTV frequently played videos. Their longest tenure was from its inception through 1984 when it went on hiatus so Blackmore could reform DEEP PURPLE. A decade later, RAINBOW toured and recorded an album. Since then, Ritchie Blackmore has turned his focus toward BLACKMORE’S NIGHT.

Since 1998, former members of RAINBOW and their respective management offices have been bombarded with requests for RAINBOW to reunite. Carey, Rondinelli, Smith and Turner answered "the call" but agreed that the only legitimate way that this could be accomplished was with a Blackmore on guitar. Enter: J.R. Blackmore.

How does the younger Blackmore feel about sharing the stage with musicians he grew up watching perform in concert with his legendary father? "I have not worked with them," says Blackmore, "But I have admired them since I was young. That makes them like brothers."

Greg Smith agrees that the market for RAINBOW's brand of rock is under served. "I know there is a big demand for this music," he says. "The fact that all members are ex-RAINBOW from different periods in the band's history will give the music the integrity it deserves. A Blackmore on guitar will give it even more authenticity."

While Joe Lynn Turner has fond memories of collaborating with and great respect for Ritchie Blackmore, he's looking forward to working with his son. He states, "J.R. is the only logical choice for the guitar slot for OVER THE RAINBOW. I have followed some of his projects over the years now. He's very talented."

OVER THE RAINBOW will begin touring in Russia during February of 2009.

yes - love rainbow up to and including *difficult to cure*

i think i put cozy powell as second only to john bonham!

not as much of a fan of deep purple though - but still done some good stuff

my favourite rainbow lineup was the blackmore,powell,dio,carey, bain gathering - brilliant!

*rainbow rising* has got to be in my all time top ten!

what do you think of blackmore's night?

i'm not to sure about the look ritchie has gone for with them - they look like something out of blackadder :huh:

3039644657_e08a10cdd9_o.jpg

Former RAINBOW musicians Joe Lynn Turner, Tony Carey, Bobby Rondinelli and Greg Smith have united with a second-generation Blackmore to form OVER THE RAINBOW.

OVER THE RAINBOW is:

Joe Lynn Turner (RAINBOW 1980-1984) - Vocals

Tony Carey (RAINBOW 1975-1978) - Keyboards

Bobby Rondinelli (RAINBOW 1980-1983) - Drums

Greg Smith (RAINBOW 1994-1997) - Bass

Jürgen "J.R." Blackmore - Guitar

Carey, who has produced several artists (including Joe Cocker and David Knopfler) since his RAINBOW days, says, "Having done everything from country to opera, I thought it would be fun to play some rock again without the burden of singing everything."

Rondinelli adds, "OVER THE RAINBOW reunites members of one of the most distinctive sounding bands of all time and introduces a hidden treasure to the world in J.R. Blackmore."

The son of the iconic RAINBOW founder/guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, Jürgen Blackmore is a critically acclaimed guitarist in his own right and agreed to join this endeavor after realizing how intense the demand was for a RAINBOW "reunion." OVER THE RAINBOW marks the first time that four members from three different eras of RAINBOW will take the stage together along with J.R. Blackmore.

RAINBOW has spawned over 20 albums (five gold, four silver), seven Billboard Hot 100 and Mainstream Rock tracks, six Top 75 UK songs and at least seven MTV frequently played videos. Their longest tenure was from its inception through 1984 when it went on hiatus so Blackmore could reform DEEP PURPLE. A decade later, RAINBOW toured and recorded an album. Since then, Ritchie Blackmore has turned his focus toward BLACKMORE’S NIGHT.

Since 1998, former members of RAINBOW and their respective management offices have been bombarded with requests for RAINBOW to reunite. Carey, Rondinelli, Smith and Turner answered "the call" but agreed that the only legitimate way that this could be accomplished was with a Blackmore on guitar. Enter: J.R. Blackmore.

How does the younger Blackmore feel about sharing the stage with musicians he grew up watching perform in concert with his legendary father? "I have not worked with them," says Blackmore, "But I have admired them since I was young. That makes them like brothers."

Greg Smith agrees that the market for RAINBOW's brand of rock is under served. "I know there is a big demand for this music," he says. "The fact that all members are ex-RAINBOW from different periods in the band's history will give the music the integrity it deserves. A Blackmore on guitar will give it even more authenticity."

While Joe Lynn Turner has fond memories of collaborating with and great respect for Ritchie Blackmore, he's looking forward to working with his son. He states, "J.R. is the only logical choice for the guitar slot for OVER THE RAINBOW. I have followed some of his projects over the years now. He's very talented."

OVER THE RAINBOW will begin touring in Russia during February of 2009.

That could be interesting :) just such a shame it JLT doing vocals :( , dio would of really made it good.Do they have a website ??

Rainbow was a good band. I think all line-ups made some great stuff. The only album which isn't that great is Down To Earth. I'm not too found of Graham Bonnet's voice.

i am surprised at that

i think his voice is great

his styling differed from what you'd expect from rainbow, but i preferred him to jlt - and down to earth had some great tracks.

i am surprised at that

i think his voice is great

his styling differed from what you'd expect from rainbow, but i preferred him to jlt - and down to earth had some great tracks.

Songs are ok, my main problem is Graham, just not my cup of tea. I prefer JLT's voice to GB's.

Rainbow was a good band. I think all line-ups made some great stuff. The only album which isn't that great is Down To Earth. I'm not too found of Graham Bonnet's voice.

I prefer his to JLT, JLT is to pure for me...although Dio was perfect I thought for Blackers.

Edited by leddy

• 3 weeks later...

i loved deep purple so when thay came to town for concert i went ACDC had a consert going a couple nights later it was a hard choice ACDC OR DEEP PURPLE so i picked DP>>>>IT WAS BAD SHIT I MISSED ACDC FOR THIS I HAD WATCHED DP OLD SCHOOL VIDEOS SPACE TRUCKIN SWEET CHILD OF TIME SMOKE ON THE WATER BLACK KNIGHT CRAZY SOLOS ALL ON OLD VIDEO WHEN THAY WERE YOUNG NOW ITS SAD IT WAS CRAP SO ZEPPELIN IS MY CHOISE THAY DO IT BETTER WITH PAGE AND PLANT NO QUATER 1993 VIDEO GEEZ THEM BLOKES CANT LOOSE IT THATS LIKE ACDC THAY STILL GOT IT BUT DEEP PURPLE DONT HAVE IT ANY MORE I LOVE THERE REALLY OLD SHIT THAY WERE A TOP BAND BLACK KNIGHT tuff song .................thay are cool but now thay are trying to be something there not thay got lost with the times sad sad sad

i loved deep purple so when thay came to town for concert i went ACDC had a consert going a couple nights later it was a hard choice ACDC OR DEEP PURPLE so i picked DP>>>>IT WAS BAD SHIT I MISSED ACDC FOR THIS I HAD WATCHED DP OLD SCHOOL VIDEOS SPACE TRUCKIN SWEET CHILD OF TIME SMOKE ON THE WATER BLACK KNIGHT CRAZY SOLOS ALL ON OLD VIDEO WHEN THAY WERE YOUNG NOW ITS SAD IT WAS CRAP SO ZEPPELIN IS MY CHOISE THAY DO IT BETTER WITH PAGE AND PLANT NO QUATER 1993 VIDEO GEEZ THEM BLOKES CANT LOOSE IT THATS LIKE ACDC THAY STILL GOT IT BUT DEEP PURPLE DONT HAVE IT ANY MORE I LOVE THERE REALLY OLD SHIT THAY WERE A TOP BAND BLACK KNIGHT tuff song .................thay are cool but now thay are trying to be something there not thay got lost with the times sad sad sad

The common complaint about using upper case is that it give the impression the writer is shouting. In your case, it just makes it difficult to follow. Also, try using some periods to end sentences. You're writing style is too difficult (and the mis-spellings) to follow and it's easier to just NOT read it. Just some helpful advice and please don't complain to the admins about me.

Edited by JethroTull

Sorry you feel like that, I agree Purple with Blackmore was an exciting band and I do miss those days and gigs :( but I have seen Purple a couple of times with Morse on guitar and although he does have a boring kinda onstage persona, he is stunning as a guitarist and some of the Morse era songs rock :).

I do however hope that Blackmore and co would get together again, but I don't think thats going to happen :(.