Will Jonsey use his mellotron?

After hearing his keyboard sound at the last get-together in 1988, I hope he will come to his senses and bring back the Mellotron - Kashmir, Stairway, Rain Song, Thank You - it may be clunky but no synth can replicate the sound. (okay it's a bitch to tune - but hey, its worth it)

After hearing his keyboard sound at the last get-together in 1988, I hope he will come to his senses and bring back the Mellotron - Kashmir, Stairway, Rain Song, Thank You - it may be clunky but no synth can replicate the sound. (okay it's a bitch to tune - but hey, its worth it)

He didn't speak too highly of the old mellotron while playing those bluegrass festivals.

He's got Hugh Manson crafting an array of new basses for the show and he embraced

technology (the Kyma) on all his recent solo tours. I think the mellotron will quite likely

remain in storage.

He didn't speak too highly of the old mellotron while playing those bluegrass festivals.

He's got Hugh Manson crafting an array of new basses for the show and he embraced

technology (the Kyma) on all his recent solo tours. I think the mellotron will quite likely

remain in storage.

What's the Kyma?

I believe he will. he just didn't use it fro "Stairway to Heaven" and if they are going to play STH or Kashmir, he's gonna need it.

off topic sorry..............that pic!!!!!!!!!! omgoodness...JPJ my personal fave Zep man and that is quite a pic alright. he can play the spoons and I'll be happy. (tho i'll not be there)

i've seen recent pics of him and he's still hot :DB)

sorry for so off topic

What's the Kyma?

Kyma is a visual programming language for sound design in widespread use by musicians, researchers, and sound designers. In Kyma, a user programs a multiprocessor DSP by graphically connecting modules on the screen of a Macintosh or Windows computer. It was cool watching him set this up by himself (!) before some of his gigs

in 1999. He kind of resembled a mad scientist while doing so :D

I believe he will. he just didn't use it fro "Stairway to Heaven" and if they are going to play STH or Kashmir, he's gonna need it.

Well, you know they'll play those two, but I'm sure that with all the advances in technology since Zeppelin's heyday, I'm sure that getting a keyboard/synthesizer to sound like the Mellotron would be quite simple.

he didn't use it in 79/80, he began using synthesizers for those shows. I imagine the technology has come a long way since then to find something that sounds even better, so I doubt he'd bust out the Mellotron...

I found the: "i doubt he'd bust out the mellotron" so funny even though it wasnt meant to sound funny. Yeah, the things i've read of jpj mentioning it were funny too, he'd be all nervous because the thing reacted to humidity and temperature so he never new how the thing was going to react during a show.

And hey, for 02, why not a small string and horn section for -kashmir? It'd be great!

Actually, -john paul jones playing bass on -kashmir w/a small string section would be great.

I'd rather see Led Zep than Led Zep with other "add-ons" - that was the idea of Zep I believe. Why would Jonesy go to all the trouble of mastering bass pedals? Why not get the bassist from the Cure to pad out the sound? - because they pushed themselves musically, and it was the 4 personalities and musicianship that made up their sound.

I'd rather see Led Zep than Led Zep with other "add-ons" - that was the idea of Zep I believe. Why would Jonesy go to all the trouble of mastering bass pedals? Why not get the bassist from the Cure to pad out the sound? - because they pushed themselves musically, and it was the 4 personalities and musicianship that made up their sound.

Good point. I was just thinking about bands using a couple of people on strings/horns and it being very effective live with amplification. This makes me think of atlantic 40th were you couldnt hear -jpj's playing at all on the broadcast of it and what you could make out, it sounded really good. Jones could add any kind of sound on a keyboard these days and really change the feel of -kashmir live, or the rain song, or all my love.

Good point. I was just thinking about bands using a couple of people on strings/horns and it being very effective live with amplification. This makes me think of atlantic 40th were you couldnt hear -jpj's playing at all on the broadcast of it and what you could make out, it sounded really good. Jones could add any kind of sound on a keyboard these days and really change the feel of -kashmir live, or the rain song, or all my love.

yup, and can't he just play the bass with his left hand on the keyboards like Ray Manzerek when needed other wise i have a suggestion ..... clone him cuz I love to see him with that bass guitar which becomes part of him and he plays it like a lead guitar.......jeeze the guy's a mucisal genius in my opinion.

myself: don't want to see anyone else cept the originals (and Jason of course) at concerts...just my opinion tho..

God no, horrible instrument. Why the heck would he want to use something that he claims is unpractical, unreliable and a bitch to operate? :blink:

Synths have come a long way since then, he could probably get Yamaha to custom make him a keyboard just for the occasion.

B)

This writer is a total dork. :lol: The 'organ' he is referring to is actually Jonesy's mellotron.

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/april-12-1970

review: Led Zeppelin Was Good and Loud

Led Zeppelin, a decibel-driven dirigible, screamed out a frenzied menu of hard rock to the delight of a large throng of turned-on admirers at the Metropolitan Sports Center Sunday night.

The Zeppelin, a British four-man group that specializes in hard, cerebral rock, made a din that made a North Stars crowd in full cry sound like a mewling baby.

The rock concert was set back an hour and a half to accommodate the playoff activities of the local icemen. The crowd had to wait yet another 75 minutes for the performance while the assorted amplifiers were connected and an organ was persuaded to work.

The result for the audience was a happy one as they seemed to get everything they wanted from the wailing rhythms that engulfed the farthest corner of the arena.

As the lights dimmed and the musty, sweet aroma of burning “grass” lifted from all parts of the crowd, much of the throng swept out of the aisles closer to the loudspeakers that were set up on the ice sheet.

The Zeppelin presented offerings ranging from an opening number that was a screaming nightmare of psychedelic horror to a rippling guitar solo by lead guitarist, Jimmy Page.

The lead vocalist, Robert Plant, shared his own nightmares with a faulty P.A. system with the audience and played an exuberant harmonica in a rock blues number entitled, “Bring It On Home”.

Page’s solo was a thing of beauty and was suppressed in comparison to the tumult of many of the other numbers. At times, his guitar would display the Eastern beauty of a sitar and then suddenly he would be back in the Western rock idiom.

Why the Zeppelin and other groups like, composed obviously of talented individuals, have to make music with every electronic stop pulled out is another question. (P. Vaughan / MN Star, April 12, 1970)

-------------------

The Zeppelin? :huh: What a square! :wacko:

As far as using an actual mellotron at 02, JPJ probably has all the proper tones and sound patches loaded on modern samples/keyboards, and backups accessible via laptop, so he can get all the sounds with a touch of a button. Let's not forget, JPJ surely has access to all the best, most current equipment (and vintage I'm sure). I am so curious how this is going to sound. I just hope they play my favorite song ever..."Rain Song". Jimmy always plays it so perfectly and the mid-section with only mellotron/guitar is their best moment ever, pure beauty with only a keyboard and a guitar, doesn't get any tastier than that. "Rain Song" is just as strong of a composition as STH, except even more complex.

Nothing against the mellotron but, I'd love to see/hear a full orchestra playing with them instead.

Rain Song". Jimmy always plays it so perfectly and the mid-section with only mellotron/guitar is their best moment ever, pure beauty with only a keyboard and a guitar, doesn't get any tastier than that. "Rain Song" is just as strong of a composition as STH, except even more complex.

I agree regarding the strength of Rain Song - it was composed/ recorded with a mellotron and performed with a mellotron - until JPJ started using the synths. Anyone hearing the bootlegs of some gigs in 1980 could hear the huge differences in a synth "string section" and a mellotron (which uses analog samples on tape). If there is technology that improves the mechanics and removes chances of error then bring it on, but lets hope the sound remains the same.

• 1 month later...
I'm just hoping that Jonesy can simulate the old sound for playing No Quarter. I'm not a fan of the synthesized No Quarter from Knebworth and just hope that he captures the original sound from 1973-1975-1977 versions.

??

This is one of those times where "you shouldnt talk unless you know what you're talking about." I have learned that the hard way.

JPJ did not use a synth by any means on No Quarter from Knebworth. What he used is a white Yamaha CP70 piano with a Maestro phase shifter and Dunn bass pedals. There are up close pics to prove that NO synth was used during No Quarter at Knebworth. And his rig here is really no different from the 73-75-77 versions you speak of except during those years he played a Fender Rhodes 88 stage piano. So any difference that your hearing and dont like is the different piano and not a synth. The only time a synth was used on No Quarter was in the studio ---- Electrapiano run through a EMS synthi.

AND at the O2. JPJ played the Korg Oasys which is a keyboard / wizard machine that has about a million different analog synth options that you can customize. So at the O2, JPJ was able to dial in pretty much the exact same synth effect that he had on the keyboard when they originally recorded it back in 1972.

• 1 month later...
I agree regarding the strength of Rain Song - it was composed/ recorded with a mellotron and performed with a mellotron - until JPJ started using the synths. Anyone hearing the bootlegs of some gigs in 1980 could hear the huge differences in a synth "string section" and a mellotron (which uses analog samples on tape). If there is technology that improves the mechanics and removes chances of error then bring it on, but lets hope the sound remains the same.

been to an analogue synthesizer shop here in Berlin yesterday and saw and played a bit on this thing called MeMotron: unbelievably true to the original sounds of the Mellotron!! :

http://www.manikin-electronic.com/en/home.html

definetely the best emulation of vinatge Mellotron sounds.

and a very beautiful instrument, too.

Archived