football

craigled

47 minutes ago, LedZed66 said:

Well, I liked Rooney as a player. He looks very sturdy but had great technical skills.

Good heavens, what has Cheshire done to you? For me, the English -shires sound pastoral, but that's a wrong impression, I suppose. It's not Middle-earth ...

I was born in Cheshire. Believe me the enclave of Wilmslow, Prestbury and Alderley Edge needs serious nuking. The residents are the worst of the worst. New money, no taste. 

7 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

I was born in Cheshire. Believe me the enclave of Wilmslow, Prestbury and Alderley Edge needs serious nuking. The residents are the worst of the worst. New money, no taste. 

I was born in the US and lived in England from 2008 until last year. I concur with your assessment. :)  (I lived in Staffs and often went to Manchester.)

14 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Could be.

I cannot stand Wenger. I am using my head here. Nothing gives me greater pleasure, apart from a fat joint of my green, than seeing Wenger moan about the ref or the assistant ref and seeing his side get beat. " So what did you reckon Arsen about the red card for your man shooting the Chelsea player?" "eerrrrrr I didn't see anything in it........................." Contd p94

Must have been a great Night in Istanbul man? I didn't watch the game at the time but heard about it obviously. In fact I don't think I've ever seen the match :o

I don't bet myself but please don't waste a crisp bill on my selections. But if you do and win, then I will PM my bank details for a wodge of greenbacks to be transferred over or you can buy a couple of packages for me and Mrs CP to be there for the Perth Ashes test!;)

Yeah mate, Istanbul was great. Great few days away with my cousin and a mate. 

My mum and dad arrive for a month on the 17th nov. on the 18th nov I go to see the Led Zeppelin experience with my dad. 22nd Nov I'm taking my mum to see Cat Stevens for her birthday. Me, my mates and Dad are going to see the first two days of the Perth ashes test match before they go home. 

Shouldbe a good month. 

I bet on your suggestions for Huddersfield, West Brom, Newcastle, Chelsea and spurs. Did a multi bet - odds of 166 to 1. $10. If they come in I'll send you some beers! 

On 9/14/2017 at 11:47 PM, Xolo1974 said:

Yeah mate, Istanbul was great. Great few days away with my cousin and a mate. 

My mum and dad arrive for a month on the 17th nov. on the 18th nov I go to see the Led Zeppelin experience with my dad. 22nd Nov I'm taking my mum to see Cat Stevens for her birthday. Me, my mates and Dad are going to see the first two days of the Perth ashes test match before they go home. 

Shouldbe a good month. 

I bet on your suggestions for Huddersfield, West Brom, Newcastle, Chelsea and spurs. Did a multi bet - odds of 166 to 1. $10. If they come in I'll send you some beers! 

You Brits kill me with that Mum stuff.  Anyway, you know Cat Stevens changed his name and faith and all right?  Was on terrorist watch lists?  Liked his old hits.  Like Morning has Broken but I would not pay a nickel to see him now.  Have fun.

Manchester City looks like the best team right now.  But its a loooong season just like our baseball and hockey.  Actually even though baseball has the most games, 162, hockey might last a bit longer.  It runs from October to the following June.  Unreal.  I am hoping Leicester City wins. They became favorites to win this game in Vegas.  Minus 1/2 is the line.  So do you Brits think this Huddersfield is as good as the rest of the Premier teams?  Chrystal Palace excluded as we all know how awful they are.  I bet Southampton and Manchester City.  Think I am good

3 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Underestimated? Nah they played Liverpool;)

Liverpool have got to sort their defence, they keep playing zone defence instead of man on man marking, added to the fact the contempt Klopp has given to the  League Cup  by putting out too many young players. Last nights game was so frustrating Liverpool had 77% of the possesion, they should hae won.

Edited by JTM

1 hour ago, LedZed66 said:

Why does England have two cup competitions? I've always wondered about that. And the League Cup is now called Peekaboo Cup?

The League Cup was once known as the ''Giant Killers Cup''. I have a vague memory of a player named Don Rogers who I think played for Swindon Town putting in a few in the final against a top side. ( I can't remember who)..

13 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

Why does England have two cup competitions? I've always wondered about that. And the League Cup is now called Peekaboo Cup?

Sponsored by a Thai energy drink company, It has been called various names: The Milk Cup, The Carling Cup, The blah cup. My hope is that one day it will be called "The Cannabis Sativa Cup" :D

14 hours ago, JTM said:

Liverpool have got to sort their defence, they keep playing zone defence instead of man on man marking, added to the fact the contempt Klopp has given to the  League Cup  by putting out too many young players. Last nights game was so frustrating Liverpool had 77% of the possesion, they should hae won.

Agreed. They have been advocating this style for a few seasons haven't they? Doesn't work,

23 hours ago, JTM said:

The League Cup was once known as the ''Giant Killers Cup''. I have a vague memory of a player named Don Rogers who I think played for Swindon Town putting in a few in the final against a top side. ( I can't remember who)..

Yep, giant killing is the big fun in Cup competitions. Last season we had a third league club in the quarter finals. Everyone cheered them up.

11 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Sponsored by a Thai energy drink company, It has been called various names: The Milk Cup, The Carling Cup, The blah cup. My hope is that one day it will be called "The Cannabis Sativa Cup" :D

I raise a glass of Pimm's Cup to that

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

The return of the thunder-clap: Iceland has qualified for the World Cup. That's terrific. Nice team, nice fans, great atmosphere: HUH

Yes a great story. I suspect Iceland will be seeded above our wretched team.

We were like watching cheese go mouldy. I watched an hour of such drivel at the weekend that when Mrs CP woke me up to say there was a live show from Coldplay on, I watched that. Well that's not exactly true - it was a travelogue about a train journey through the Gobi desert.

I will not be watching the finals in Russia. We have no clue, no chance and no passion. We have learned nothing since 1966 and even then it was a non goal. Ironically it was a Russian Linesman who "gifted" us the goal which never crossed the line.

File under : Non acheivers

On 10.10.2017 at 2:54 PM, chillumpuffer said:

Yes a great story. I suspect Iceland will be seeded above our wretched team.

We were like watching cheese go mouldy. I watched an hour of such drivel at the weekend that when Mrs CP woke me up to say there was a live show from Coldplay on, I watched that. Well that's not exactly true - it was a travelogue about a train journey through the Gobi desert.

I will not be watching the finals in Russia. We have no clue, no chance and no passion. We have learned nothing since 1966 and even then it was a non goal. Ironically it was a Russian Linesman who "gifted" us the goal which never crossed the line.

File under : Non acheivers

Watching Train journey through the Gobi desert, part 2: Sandstorm, is more exciting than most qualifiers are.

England went through the qualification campaign unbeaten. Gareth Southgate is doing his job well. Harry Kane is a fantastic player. There are no reasons to give up hope.

And non achievers is the name of the Dutch team. Oops, they did it again.

The success of the Iceland team is so cool. They qualified in a group with Croatia, Ukraine and Turkey. That's astonishing.So, what did we learn today: you don't need over-paid, cocky posers to win a match

On 10/10/2017 at 5:54 AM, chillumpuffer said:

I watched an hour of such drivel at the weekend that when Mrs CP woke me up to say there was a live show from Coldplay on, I watched that. Well that's not exactly true - it was a travelogue about a train journey through the Gobi desert.

That is grounds for divorce. It says so in the marriage manual.

As for the U.S. not making the World Cup, I am glad. It will spare us from having to hear the noise from hypesters on ESPN and elsewhere overselling the U.S.A.'s talent and chances of winning the Cup.

4 hours ago, 76229 said:

Sure Robert will be celebrating with a few drinks tonight, as his beloved Wolves have just gone top of the Championship for the first time since 2009

Incredible! 😮

Wow...a new album and now this! I should think Robert would be swimming in bubbly!

5 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

Kaká hangs up his boots? He was a great player who has won everything. Adeus Ricardo.

Amen.  He walked onto the pitch for the game with his son.  Great for the game, great for our team.  He never won anything here, but that was more about the organization than the player.

IMG_1506.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

World Cup 2018 teams:

Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Denmark, Egypt, England, France, Germany, Iceland, Iran, Japan, Mexico, Morocco, Nigeria, Panama, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia and Uruguay.

But a World Cup without Italy is not complete.