football

craigled

3 hours ago, LedZed66 said:
Kick off today and I'd like to share my World Cup "experience".

In 2006 Cologne hosted 5 World Cup matches. The atmosphere in town was  a-w-e-s-o-m-e. We have many big events here in Cologne, for Carnival 1 Million people crowding the streets. We know how to throw a party.

But nothing compares to these magical days during the World Cup. Everyone was so relaxed and happy and I think cordial sums it up very well. Only a few incidents with drunken males happened.

I remember the day when England played Sweden very well. I work nearby the street that leads to the football stadium where the wonderful Swedish fans were gathering. Had some nice small talk with some of them.
Back then I lived nearby the hotel the English team stayed in. On my way home from work I arrived near the hotel when the English team entered the bus to go to the match. From the distance I only recognized Peter Crouch. Around the bus hundreds of English hard core fans making big noice to cheer up their national team. It was mesmerising and a bit frightning. But I must say it was a fantastic experience.
The match ended in a 2:2 draw.

I didn't see any match live in the stadium. It was very difficult to get tickets. But we had a lot of great parties with friends at home and in pubs. Being a host is different. I wish all the fans and hosts in Russia a fantastic time. And congrats to Canada, Mexico and the United States to host 2026.

So in 2026 the games will be in all 3 of the North American countries?  Strange.  So where will the championship be?  I assume in NY or LA?  But Mexico City could be considered too I guess?

8 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

So in 2026 the games will be in all 3 of the North American countries?  Strange.  So where will the championship be?  I assume in NY or LA?  But Mexico City could be considered too I guess?

Everything from the quarterfinals onward is in the US - so, the opening knockout round will be in all 3 countries.

10 hours ago, LedZed66 said:
Kick off today and I'd like to share my World Cup "experience".

In 2006 Cologne hosted 5 World Cup matches. The atmosphere in town was  a-w-e-s-o-m-e. We have many big events here in Cologne, for Carnival 1 Million people crowding the streets. We know how to throw a party.

But nothing compares to these magical days during the World Cup. Everyone was so relaxed and happy and I think cordial sums it up very well. Only a few incidents with drunken males happened.

I remember the day when England played Sweden very well. I work nearby the street that leads to the football stadium where the wonderful Swedish fans were gathering. Had some nice small talk with some of them.
Back then I lived nearby the hotel the English team stayed in. On my way home from work I arrived near the hotel when the English team entered the bus to go to the match. From the distance I only recognized Peter Crouch. Around the bus hundreds of English hard core fans making big noice to cheer up their national team. It was mesmerising and a bit frightning. But I must say it was a fantastic experience.
The match ended in a 2:2 draw.

I didn't see any match live in the stadium. It was very difficult to get tickets. But we had a lot of great parties with friends at home and in pubs. Being a host is different. I wish all the fans and hosts in Russia a fantastic time. And congrats to Canada, Mexico and the United States to host 2026.

Yeah we hosted the World Cup back in ‘94 in Orlando. Similar experience you described. A lot of visitors in town for it. Everyone got along well and had a rockin time. The flags and pageantry is what I remember the most. Hope we are a host city again in ‘26. Especially now that I really understand and enjoy the game.  

4 hours ago, Strider said:

Hú! Hú! Hú!

So you have the energy to make these dull posts but are rebelling against the contest we created?  I do not get you Sean.  Buts  its your choice.  I am disappointed.  Rick

As for the recent picks, two vote for France!  I am a little surprised.  And I thought Spain would get some support.  i fear them.  Uruguay is getting a ton of respect on ESPN.  I did not see that coming.  I have Egypt upsetting them.  Likely a huge error.

You French fans can tune in for their first game 6 AM EST and 3 AM PST.   LOL  So you have an excuse to pop the corks early.  I have bought some Guiness Stout, small bottles to mix with Belgian white.       Let’s all be up at  am and singing “King Tut!”

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Three extremely dull games so far, Russia/Saudi Arabia,  Egypt/Uruguay,  Morocco/Iran. Now the fourth game Spain/Portugal (on now) this is more like it, good game up to now...

Edited by JTM

3 hours ago, JTM said:

Three extremely dull games so far, Russia/Saudi Arabia,  Egypt/Uruguay,  Morocco/Iran. Now the fourth game Spain/Portugal (on now) this is more like it, good game up to now...

Amazing match! Ronaldo is a God! 

9 hours ago, Remi said:

What a match!!!

Indeed, best so far.

9 hours ago, Walter said:

Amazing match! Ronaldo is a God! 

Oh Man that free kick for his third goal, I just knew it was going in, he did that sort of thing a lot when he Played for Man UTD, spectacular goal..

26 minutes ago, Remi said:

Victory 2-1 versus Australia,

Australia playing very well, but we was so bad in the other way.

Argentina - Islande, next  can't wait to see Messi prestation.

France were garbage, Can't agree with the VAR decision, the Aussie guy touched the ball leaving an element of doubt, but hey, I'm not the ref..

4 hours ago, JTM said:

Indeed, best so far.

Oh Man that free kick for his third goal, I just knew it was going in, he did that sort of thing a lot when he Played for Man UTD, spectacular goal..

The way he curved that ball around the defenders head and bent it into the goal was amazing. I admittedly haven’t watched the sport for very long but under those circumstances that was the greatest goal I’ve ever seen.

Watching Iceland/Argentina right now. Jr says Iceland will surprise in this match.  I like their teamwork so far. Plus Messi is kind of a bitch, IMO.

Well there you have it 1-1 draw. Great job Iceland! They packed in that defense in the 2nd half, the goalie was player of the match for sure!!  Little bitch Messi all puckered up at the end. 

On 6/14/2018 at 4:15 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

So you have the energy to make these dull posts but are rebelling against the contest we created?  I do not get you Sean.  Buts  its your choice.  I am disappointed.  Rick.

FFS, settle down Hoss. "Rebelling"? I'm not rebelling against anything. I simply don't choose to play. It's nothing personal.

It's very simple, Rick. If it is not something I have the confidence in betting my own money then I don't play. American football, basketball, baseball...these are sports I know inside and out and will put money down in Las Vegas. And I will play the pools and pick-em contests.

But soccer, especially World Cup? I have neither the expertise nor the passion to go through all the brackets and decipher one team's chances over another. I couldn't tell you the difference between Ghana and Russia and Iran, other than their team colours, if I tried.

Iceland and Germany have my support but I'll see only 10% of the matches during the World Cup, at best. If soccer truly is the world's game, you don't need me in your WC contest. There are thousands of people on this forum that are not from the U.S. So I would think that the WC contest draws better than our NFL and MLB contests.

3 hours ago, Walter said:

Well there you have it 1-1 draw. Great job Iceland! They packed in that defense in the 2nd half, the goalie was player of the match for sure!!  Little bitch Messi all puckered up at the end. 

Got up at 5 am to watch a friggin' tie. Although it shouldn't have been a tie...Messi blew it. 

I have long said Ronaldo was #1 over Messi and today proved that once again. Ronaldo shows up on the biggest stages. Messi doesn't.

Iceland was lucky to get that point in their WC debut. I'm happy for them and happy it came at Argentina's expense.

Now I have to wait until next Friday for Iceland's next match against Nigeria. Until then, the only match I'll see will probably be Germany vs. Mexico.

6 hours ago, Strider said:

FFS, settle down Hoss. "Rebelling"? I'm not rebelling against anything. I simply don't choose to play. It's nothing personal.

It's very simple, Rick. If it is not something I have the confidence in betting my own money then I don't play. American football, basketball, baseball...these are sports I know inside and out and will put money down in Las Vegas. And I will play the pools and pick-em contests.

But soccer, especially World Cup? I have neither the expertise nor the passion to go through all the brackets and decipher one team's chances over another. I couldn't tell you the difference between Ghana and Russia and Iran, other than their team colours, if I tried.

Iceland and Germany have my support but I'll see only 10% of the matches during the World Cup, at best. If soccer truly is the world's game, you don't need me in your WC contest. There are thousands of people on this forum that are not from the U.S. So I would think that the WC contest draws better than our NFL and MLB contests.

But this is FREE.   No money involved.  You could have been a sport and just taken a shot.  Oh well.  I had a great day.  I got out with a push on Iceland as I took a shot at over plus 800 odds because I know Argentina are the most over rated team in this tourny and will get beat, and I had Denmark, and Croatia.  I stayed clear of the France game. I now have 3 shots to cash in.  I need the Mexico/Germany game over 2.5 goals, a wager I love, England and or Belgium.  i like my chances.  I will admit I was lucky on Denmark.  Peru has far more speed.  The goalies for Iceland and Denmark were spectacular today.  Did anyone see that PK save by the Iceland goalie?  Unreal.  Argentina looked sluggish at best and Peru, in defeat looked very good.  The game between Russia and Egypt is going to be huge.  Egypt need this game badly.  They took Uruguay to the last minute.  I really would like to see Egypt sneak in.  They likely must beat Russia.  Then Russia plays Uruguay and Russia can still be fine with a win there.  I just have no true idea how good they really are.  When they play the "big boys" outside of this division we will find out.  A very intriguing game tomorrow morning between Mexico and Germany.  I would not be surprised to see one of them go up by 2 and lose. Or draw.  This has the potential of a shootout.  If its 0-0 I will look stupid but I just cannot imagine that.  They are both offensive teams. Brazil and Switzerland will be a good one too.  Switzerland is a good team.  I believe better than the defensive minded team of 4 years ago.  I cannot believe they are still making comparisons between Messi and Rolando.  No comparison.  Rolando is way better now.  Messi has slowed down and is not even close to the guy Rolando is.  Spain has to be sick for blowing that game. There have been some bad penalties and I mean stupid ones.  Denmark even though they won a huge game, now have 3 guys with yellow cards.  They will be walking on eggshells vs Australia who put up a fight vs France and that might give them an edge vs Denmark?  But its a tough one to call. Just as France and Peru might be.  Peru has a ton of speed. Good start to the tournament. I am not going to say anything more Sean but I am disappointed not only in you but a few others as well.   So go ahead.  Its open season on me. 

Strider waving the Iceland flag?  😟  I hope you are ok pal?  LOL.  Just when you thought you have seen it all.  Well, anyway, what a save!  On a PK.  My head just went down.  I am yelling at the TV and saying to my wife, "look at this dumb ass who just gave the game away"!!!  PK's are NEVER STOPPED.    And bang!!!!!!!!!!

And I am also really looking forward to Mexico and Germany.  Go Me hee co!!!!!!  I would not sell Mexico short.  I have some Guinness Stout for the England game on Monday

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Die Mannschaft did not look ready to defend their World Cup title. Mexico should have been up 3-0 early if they had pulled the trigger instead of dithering around the goal box. Kick the damn ball!

Edited by Strider

I have been in Portugal for 2 weeks with no access to the net or watching TV (our choice) so I have not been able to comment on the proceedings. I watched Mexico beat Germany - well deserved I think. Nothing personal Led but we cheered !! A bit of Brazil - overrated as usual. Worried about this evening. I predict a dull draw. Maybe 1-1 or 0-0.

44 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

I have been in Portugal for 2 weeks with no access to the net or watching TV (our choice) so I have not been able to comment on the proceedings. I watched Mexico beat Germany - well deserved I think. Nothing personal Led but we cheered !! A bit of Brazil - overrated as usual. Worried about this evening. I predict a dull draw. Maybe 1-1 or 0-0.

Welcome back CP. Maybe with zero expectations this time around the English side won't feel as much pressure and play better? Maybe even sneak up on some countries?

6 hours ago, Strider said:

Welcome back CP. Maybe with zero expectations this time around the English side won't feel as much pressure and play better? Maybe even sneak up on some countries?

Thanks big man. Yes that could well be true. I just hope we play attacking, fast football as we do week in week out in the Premier league. I am looking forward to it.

Many underrated teams are giving the big-wigs a run for their money, it seems. Thoroughly enjoyed the Iceland-Argentina clash, the Germany-Mexico clash and the Brazil-Switzerland clash. What I love is a good contest. Not one sided rubbish. Early days yet, I know but I hope the momentum continues. 

The team that I am rooting for, is Iceland.