football

craigled

I thought we were average at best and dreadful at worst. Though we have banished demons regarding spot kicks. What was more worrying was we only scored with a penalty and that was because the coke dealers defence forgot that the game actually had a ref.

I said to Mrs CP after 20 minutes that if we can continue to plod along with unimaginative, negative football we will be out. And I was very nearly correct. Kane looked knackered in the second half and I suspect he was only left on because of the penalties. Stirling and Young - garbage. Deli Ali should never had started and Walker very nearly gave them the victory.

Sweden will be tough if we play this way. Southgate should now go for the win with fast passing football. I suspect that if all that team are declared fit, then he won't change it for the Swedes until the 2nd half or if the game is nearly lost.

This is our big chance and on last evenings game the Swedes really should have no worries

2 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

I thought we were average at best and dreadful at worst. Though we have banished demons regarding spot kicks. What was more worrying was we only scored with a penalty and that was because the coke dealers defence forgot that the game actually had a ref.

I said to Mrs CP after 20 minutes that if we can continue to plod along with unimaginative, negative football we will be out. And I was very nearly correct. Kane looked knackered in the second half and I suspect he was only left on because of the penalties. Stirling and Young - garbage. Deli Ali should never had started and Walker very nearly gave them the victory.

Sweden will be tough if we play this way. Southgate should now go for the win with fast passing football. I suspect that if all that team are declared fit, then he won't change it for the Swedes until the 2nd half or if the game is nearly lost.

This is our big chance and on last evenings game the Swedes really should have no worries

I think you sell them short.  Remember the Panama game?  I see them  using Vardy and Kane together again, and hopefully someone can set them up.  Rashford, I think that is how you spell his name?  He might be one to start? Remember the game before the set up plays they burned Belgium on?  Though he did not beat the goalie it still worked.  They opened up the left side on Belgium, who are much better than Sweden.   Germany came back late to beat Sweden.  I think they scored two in added time?  And we all know that Germany had big problems.  England can beat this team and they will

I hear you Rick and what you say is partially true. Yes, he may start with Rashford instead of Stirling but to come to his (Stirling) defence he does get himself into good positions but his first touch has let him down. I would start also with Loftus-Cheek. He looked damn good.

This where tactics really are important. Sweden play 4-4-2 a traditional English way of a side formation. We play 3-5-2 which is fine of you have a genuine left sided player but we don't really. In fact the only genuine left in our team is Pickford who of course is the Goalkeeper.Listen man I really want us to do the Swedes and to get to the CF would beyond dreams but maybe are lack of experience, formation and stamina may prove to be our undoing. Southgate has to say to go out show what you can do and you will be 2 games away from history. 

Rest assured me and Mrs  CP will be glued on Saturday afternoon. Joint and beer in hand for what could be a further great day in our history.

Heart: England 3 Sweden 1

Head: England 1 Sweden 1 and who knows after penalties

For all of you who don't know or would like to know what a fat, delusional prick sounds and looks like, then Ladies and Gentleman may I present the most hypocritical, obnoxious waste of skin that has ever been born to a human (or maybe not)......

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/fifa-world-cup/diego-maradona-goes-on-incredible-anti-england-rant-after-world-cup-2018-win-against-colombia/ar-AAzz1aJ?ocid=spartandhp

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

For all of you who don't know or would like to know what a fat, delusional prick sounds and looks like, then Ladies and Gentleman may I present the most hypocritical, obnoxious waste of skin that has ever been born to a human (or maybe not)......

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/fifa-world-cup/diego-maradona-goes-on-incredible-anti-england-rant-after-world-cup-2018-win-against-colombia/ar-AAzz1aJ?ocid=spartandhp

After that read I see why Sean hates his ass so much.    I do not believe Sweden is that good.  The new power rankings from CBS are out and Brazil is at 1 and at number 2 is ENGLAND!!!!!😀

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/world-cup/news/world-cup-power-rankings-england-climbs-to-no-2-but-brazil-back-on-top-after-round-of-16/

I rank Belgium and England as co number 1's and France a close 2 after all I have seen.  I have a new respect for this French team.  I will worry about them when they play the winner of Belgium and Brazil which to me might be a shootout at the OK Corral?  I see that game as a possible 4-3 or even a 5-4 type of game. If they both play their attacking styles which I do not see them avoiding. England has to beat the Swedes likely on set plays unless they can break loose on a good feed or once they can get the lead, Sweden's trap style play is out the window

So satisfying to see the tears and wailing of Mexicans and Colombians as their teams were booted out. Now, only two more south of the border countries to be rid of...Uruguay and Brazil. Is there a ref with the balls to put a stop to Neymar's flopping charade?

Edited by Strider

2 minutes ago, Strider said:

So satisfying to see the tears and wailing of Mexicans and Columbians as their teams were booted out. Now, only two more south of the border countries to be rid of...Uruguay and Brazil. Is there a ref with the balls to put a stop to Neymar's flopping charade?

If they get the American that did the England game, maybe?

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/world-cup/news/world-cup-2018-odds-lines-in-quarterfinals-brazil-the-one-to-beat-england-huge-favorite-to-advance/

Thank God we have some more action today.  I am  really looking forward to the afternoon game.  Belgium and Brazil should be a classic of two teams that rarely meet. Both teams can score. I just hope that Neymar is not feigning injury for a bunch of time.  Refs in soccer need to do something about this.  And many more teams are guilty of it.  Some more than others.  I have never seen such bad acting in my life.  I forget the team but one in particular was constantly faking injury to try and draw  card or penalty shot.  When I see some of these guys go down and see the replay, they are not even touched sometimes.   Then they grab their knee like they are in agony.  What a joke.  They should be red carded for that.

Great save by Uruguay goalie, but the announcer said "save of the tournament".  No way.  I give that to Pickford.  In the PK round.  Just a clutch great save.  Then Denmark (Leicester City) goalie, made one in a game in first round, on a PK that was great.

France on the way but Uruguay is dangerous even without their legendary player Diego Forlon.  Star of the 2010 WC in S Africa.

2-0 France.  Blown save by Uruguay goalie

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Boy this fucking Neymar knows how to play possum.    The prick.  He has been accused of embellishment and still does it.  I hate that shit. Belgium goalie looks a bit nervous.  i do not like him holding the ball so long giving Brazil time to get reset. He should have kicked it down field right away and countered them

Its unbelievable none of us picked Brazil

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

20 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Fucking Neymar, dive artist he is, can run all day.  Belgium coach should have more fresh bodies.  

His constant diving did him no favours, when Belgium's Vincent Company did actually foul him the ref didn't give it. Replays showed that it was a clear penalty.

Like the boy who cried wolf he played it once too often and it came back to bite him, serves him right.

2 minutes ago, JTM said:

His constant diving did him no favours, when Belgium's Vincent Company did actually foul him the ref didn't give it. Replays showed that it was a clear penalty.

Like the boy who cried wolf he played it once too often and it came back to bite him, serves him right.

Yep.  Dont you think Belgium's coach should have put some fresh bodies out there when it was 2-1 with like 9 minutes left?  I mean, risky.  Brazil does not run out of gas when they are trailing.  I doubt they look forward to the flight home.  France and Belgium will be another dandy.  I only worry that if Belgium even has the lead, they might not get away with not making replacements vs a speedy French team?  Its like they will have to defend 3 Neymars?

Go England!!!!!!!

England are heavy favorites in Vegas to beat Sweden.   I sure hope they bring their A game.  Belgium came through.  The game with France will be tough.  So England must get through Sweden and Croatia to get to the dance.  I am hoping to see Kane and Vardy out there together again.  But I know they must also think defense.  I think Sweden will keep most of their men back early on and try to frustrate the English attack?  If they do try and attack it should leave gaps. I just think the English team has better players.  

Belgium was a bit fortunate to keep that lead with the way they ended things.  I would have thought the coach would have made a few more changes.  But it worked.   Brazil and Neymar were sent packing.

Alrightee then, if tonight Russia beat Croatia, Russia will go on to win against England in the semi, if Croatia win tonight's game then England will beat Croatia and go on to the Final.  France to beat Belgium in the other semi.

33 minutes ago, JTM said:

Alrightee then, if tonight Russia beat Croatia, Russia will go on to win against England in the semi, if Croatia win tonight's game then England will beat Croatia and go on to the Final.  France to beat Belgium in the other semi.

Russia beat England?  You are dreaming.  They will not see England.  I think France and Belgium is a tossup.  Could go either way.  I do think there will be at least 3 goals scored.  Both teams have speed and can score. Should be a classic.  I believe Croatia have too much for Russia but not enough for England.  I do have selfish reasons for this game coming up.  It would not only give me a clean sweep in this round, it would fetch me $350 on a parlay.  But Croatia must in in regulation or extra time minimum for me to win most of it.  I would still cash in some if they win on PKs.  I do not fear Russia. Worst team left but do have the home field.  England vs either France or Belgium would be some game.  Pickford is playing out of his mind. I love England's chances.  I took them to win this thing before the first game was played.  At big odds.

Well at least the games are in the afternoon here in the eastern USA.  Places to be in the AM but will not miss either match.  England did not come this far to get beat by the likes of Croatia.  The next team will be far tougher.  I am terrified of France but just feel like Belgium is a team of destiny to get to the final.  Of course I will pick England no matter the opponent. Croatia might still be a bit "wrecked" from that game yesterday?  Is 4 days enough time to recover?  Or will the soreness just kick in more?  As for Belgium and France, it could really be a high scoring game?  Unless they both get too cautious. But I just do not see that in the style these two play.  Run and gun.

Put MacGuire's 6'4'' ass in there on corners and nobody on Croatia is going to beat him on a header.  As long as they can set up guys like him and Delle Alli they should beat them.   But they have to defend well too.  Modric is great.  He is a problem.

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 conquered - We decided it’s time to stand up  and be counted 🥅 in the face of a strong 💪 history and unite commonwealth 🇬🇧 fans from all over the world 🌎 win or lose this team leaves it all on the pitch - we celebrate 🎉 🎊 here in Canada 🇨🇦 as they are our team once again this World Cup 🏆

7 hours ago, Strider said:

I wonder what kind of odds you could have got before the WC started betting a France-England Cup final? Rick, any idea? 30-1 at least, I imagine.

I bet $5 on them and if they win I get $90 for that.  But I have been on them every game too