football

craigled

On 1/9/2019 at 1:51 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Does anyone over there across the bloody pond know why this damn game today did not count in the Premier League standings?  Tottenham over Chelsea?  Unless they are just lazy in giving them their 3 points.  Closing in on Liverpool

😐

2 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

My favorite CL final :hysterical:

As the Old Trafford faithful like to sing...

"Who put the ball in the Germans net

Who put the ball in the Germans net

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer"

As you say Led the highlight of the 20th Century

On 1/14/2019 at 4:18 PM, chillumpuffer said:

As the Old Trafford faithful like to sing...

"Who put the ball in the Germans net

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer"

As you say Led the highlight of the 20th Century

:hysterical:

Fantastic. Do they have a one for Sharingham, too?

A highlight of the century, definitly, CP. We watch the last 10 minutes from time to time. Too funny. I think hating certain football clubs is as important as loving clubs 😈

On 1/8/2019 at 8:51 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Does anyone over there across the bloody pond know why this damn game today did not count in the Premier League standings?  Tottenham over Chelsea?  Unless they are just lazy in giving them their 3 points.  Closing in on Liverpool

Well, someone here in America does.

During the year, there are cup competitions that are played which are independent of the Premier League games and table/standings. This most recent game against Tottenham and Chelsea was in the League Cup competition (I forget who has corporate sponsorship of the name (is it Carabao?); to me, it's the League Cup - that's the original name and that's what I'm always calling it. I take comfort in the fact that many refer to it the same way). This game was the first leg in a two-legged semi-final; there will be another game at Stamford Bridge (Chelsea's home pitch) to settle the tie ("series" in American English) - whoever prevails on aggregate will go to the League Cup final (that's a one-off - one game only). The FA Cup is the other major domestic cup competition; these games are also independent of the Premier League table/standings.

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

:D What a surprise !!! We could always go back to the Benifica game in 68? Hope your well man?

Benfica 68, I remember that. Back then if there was a live game on TV almost everybody watched (Ok most people only had two TV channels) Live footie was a rarity and was a savoured whoever the teams playing were. The game wasn't Liverpool or Everton it was Man U, they were the next best thing because they were only "up the road" so to speak, plus they were English, the first to play in a European Cup Final.

I'm well thanks, hope you are too.

Edit....

Thinking about it Footie today has sort of lost it's magic, there's too much of it on TV. I miss the special event feeling one used to get, like FA cup day when you would spend most of the morning flicking between BBC and ITV watching the build up, getting the feeling of fans from either side playing (again it didn't matter who was playing), the road to Wembley clips, then hoping it didn't go into extra time because that would clash with the then strict just after five tea time when it was TV off and everyone to the dining room, oh how times have changed,

Edited by JTM

57 minutes ago, JTM said:

Thinking about it Footie today has sort of lost it's magic, there's too much of it on TV. I miss the special event feeling one used to get, like FA cup day when you would spend most of the morning flicking between BBC and ITV watching the build up, getting the feeling of fans from either side playing (again it didn't matter who was playing), the road to Wembley clips, then hoping it didn't go into extra time because that would clash with the then strict just after five tea time when it was TV off and everyone to the dining room, oh how times have changed,

Agreed. Do you remember Sports night with Coleman? I remember when I was very young my Dad woke me up to say there was a match on the TV. I won't tell your Mother. 

Also The Home Internationals. Great times.

Yeah the FA Cup. "Down Wembley Way" and beyond historic- FA Cup It's a Knockout.:thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Agreed. Do you remember Sports night with Coleman? I remember when I was very young my Dad woke me up to say there was a match on the TV. I won't tell your Mother. 

Also The Home Internationals. Great times.

Yeah the FA Cup. "Down Wembley Way" and beyond historic- FA Cup It's a Knockout.:thumbsup:

Sports Night, I remember vaguely. TV in my parents was usually my mums choice (she did not like sport), dad was more often than not in the pub or the British Legion so any sport programmes (apart from Grandstand or ITV sport on Saturday) were a no no, unless dad was home.

23 hours ago, JTM said:

Nah, this one is "greater" 🙂

Milan:Liverpool is one of the best CL finals ever. An epic, nerve wracking battle. I almost switched off the TV at half time because I didn't want to see Berlusconi's Milan win. So I nearly missed this spectaculous match.

ManU:Bayern is our favorite because schadenfreude is such a great pleasure :D

17 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

:D What a surprise !!! We could always go back to the Benifica game in 68? Hope your well man?

Benfica with the wonderful Eusebio. He's buried at the National Pantheon in Lisbon. That's cool.

We can go back to 1959-60: Real Madrid:Eintracht Frankfurt at Hampden Park. 7:3 - 3 goals by Di Stefano, 4 by Puskas. Attendance: 127.000

On 1/15/2019 at 10:49 PM, ForEvermore said:

During the year, there are cup competitions that are played which are independent of the Premier League games and table/standings. This most recent game against Tottenham and Chelsea was in the League Cup competition (I forget who has corporate sponsorship of the name (is it Carabao?); to me, it's the League Cup - that's the original name and that's what I'm always calling it. I take comfort in the fact that many refer to it the same way). This game was the first leg in a two-legged semi-final; there will be another game at Stamford Bridge (Chelsea's home pitch) to settle the tie ("series" in American English) - whoever prevails on aggregate will go to the League Cup final (that's a one-off - one game only). The FA Cup is the other major domestic cup competition; these games are also independent of the Premier League table/standings.

Its a very strange way they do things IMOI.  But in any event, that Manchester City win over Liverpool was a fabulous game to watch.  And of course my money was on MC.  That helps too.  I believe MC, Liverpool and Tottenham are all pretty much the best teams. I am taking Arsenal to beat Chelsea and also using the draw option on that one.  MU is not as good as they have been in past years.  I would like to see Tottenham win.  I like Kane and Delle Allie. Of course I also love Vardy and McGuire, and Leicester are not a bad team, but not good enough to beat the above mentioned.  Southampton is having a good year. 

I agree that game was unbelievable.  That goal by MC from the left side that was smashed in with very little room was some kind of goal.  Great game.  

On 1/15/2019 at 10:49 PM, ForEvermore said:

On 1/17/2019 at 10:59 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Its a very strange way they do things IMOI. 

Well, that's what they do. It gives people more to root for during the year than just how the teams at the top of the Premier League table might end up finishing in May.

Anyway, Chelsea won the second leg on penalty kicks, so they will be playing Man City at Wembley on the 24th in the League Cup final. (Side note: I was relieved to see that they didn't use the away-goal rule in the semi-final. I am absolutely no fan of that rule and I'm glad that they are becoming more open-minded about not always having it. Others may disagree.)

5 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

Well, that's what they do. It gives people more to root for during the year than just how the teams at the top of the Premier League table might end up finishing in May.

Anyway, Chelsea won the second leg on penalty kicks, so they will be playing Man City at Wembley on the 24th in the League Cup final. (Side note: I was relieved to see that they didn't use the away-goal rule in the semi-final. I am absolutely no fan of that rule and I'm glad that they are becoming more open-minded about not always having it. Others may disagree.)

That away goal rule needs scrapping asap, it's completely unfair, extra time should go too. Games should go straight to penalty kicks if there is stalemate after ninety mins. At least that really unfair golden goal rule was scrapped after a few years.

18 hours ago, JTM said:

That away goal rule needs scrapping asap, it's completely unfair, extra time should go too. Games should go straight to penalty kicks if there is stalemate after ninety mins. At least that really unfair golden goal rule was scrapped after a few years.

Oh, now that's interesting - you have echoed what I sensed on my own when I lived over there, i.e., we each have different concepts of what is "fair" in deciding a game/match if it goes longer than regulation time.

For football/soccer, most of the world outside of North America prefers penalties to settle a draw at the end of regulation; we here prefer a team sport to be decided in a team fashion (thus, we prefer extra time ("overtime" on our parlance) and golden goal ("sudden death" for us)). I'll give you a specific example in a different sport. In ice hockey here, in the regular season, we have shootouts if neither team scores in overtime if a game is tied at the end of regulation; however, in the Stanley Cup playoffs after the regular season, where the overall champion in any given season is determined, they play overtime until one team scores a goal in actual game conditions. If that means there are 3 or 4 or 5 overtime sessions, then that's how many there will be. Of course, this is known in advance, and teams are ready for it. It also makes for great viewing - the game could both end at any time and last for an unknown amount of time. Tension each and every moment as long as the game lasts with full teams actually playing against one another the entire time.

Now, of course, MLS adopts the shootout rule the same way all football/soccer leagues worldwide do - it's why they do. (To their credit, they don't observe the away-goal rule either.) However, many people here don't like penalties - in our view, it's a synthetic way to decide a game. Many football/soccer matches don't feature a single penalty attempt during the course of the match; thus, it isn't an absolutely essential part of the game. They CAN appear in games, of course, but they don't have to, and many games don't have a single attempt. Therefore, why impose penalties as the ultimate tie-breaker? It takes a team game with 11 players on each side and reduces it to a series of individual one-on-one contests, each of which is effectively a coin-flip (the shooter scores or does not). That's why we here aren't crazy about them. There's too much left to blind chance. We would prefer that a team game, with all individuals on the pitch playing at the same time, be decided in a team fashion.

So, why do you think that extra time and golden goal combination is less fair than penalties? (Also, please don't regard this post as some kind of flame - it isn't meant to be at all. Very many people, esp. outside of North America, completely agree with you. I just don't understand the general mindset and would like someone to set forth why some prefer the penalties method to break regulation draws over extra time and golden goal - I can't fully get my head around it. Thank you in advance.)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

One of the, if not THE most remarkable turnarounds in Champions League history. A fantastic night in Paris and well done to the lads, Ole of course and the wonderful VAR that made it happen. 

That was never a penalty, no way was that deliberate handball. I'm glad for Ole though he's doing a great job, it'll be a crying shame if he doesn't get the job. As a Liverpool fan I really shouldn't be giving Manure any praise at all, but hey ho credit given where credit's due.

Oh and THE BIGGEST  turnaround in Champions League history was the 2005 final, you know that FITH Big Ears trophy won by you know who...😉

Edited by JTM

39 minutes ago, JTM said:

That was never a penalty, no way was that deliberate handball. I'm glad for Ole though he's doing a great job, it'll be a crying shame if he doesn't get the job. As a Liverpool fan I really shouldn't be giving Manure any praise at all, but hey ho credit given where credit's due.

Oh and THE BIGGEST  turnaround in Champions League history was the 2005 final, you know that FITH Big Ears trophy won by you know who...😉

:thumbdown: Don't talk bollocks man.:D Nou Camp 99 was far better (and you know it). Fair game man the Miracle in Istanbul was pretty special.

I had a butchers this morning at the penalty. Tenuous to say the least. Hey I'm not complaining. About time us English had a bit of luck on the penalty front. As I type Xolo1974 has posted. Not read it yet but chances are it won't be favourable towards us woollybacks?

1 minute ago, JTM said:

Hope you sat it out, unlike those numpties that left at half time.

Yeah mate of course. Guy in front of me left at half time and came back at the end celebrating. I couldn’t look at him