Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
craigled

football

Recommended Posts

On 5/12/2019 at 7:27 PM, ForEvermore said:

 

 

BUT, be consoled!

We all have three more games to watch, and all six teams left are EPL teams!

So, we still have just about two more weeks of football before withdrawal symptoms set in.

(And then the Women's World Cup will take over...)

 

 

On 5/13/2019 at 2:41 AM, chillumpuffer said:

Not me as I can't get BT Sport

Oh no - is the FA Cup final not on the BBC anymore? It still was on the Beeb before I moved back to the States (2016).

If that’s true, that is very sad. Come to think of it, both the Europa League final and Champions League final were on one of the ITV channels when I was still there - is that no longer true either?

That’s awful - you would think the national sport would be on channels that people didn’t have to pay for.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Norwich and Sheffield will be thrown to the wolves?  Placed in the premier league?  I cant wait for those juicy lines.  MC and Liverpool and even Leicester City will maul them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

 

Oh no - is the FA Cup final not on the BBC anymore? It still was on the Beeb before I moved back to the States (2016).

If that’s true, that is very sad. Come to think of it, both the Europa League final and Champions League final were on one of the ITV channels when I was still there - is that no longer true either?

That’s awful - you would think the national sport would be on channels that people didn’t have to pay for.

 

The FA Cup is still on the BBC - for now anyway

Europa & Champions League are exclusively BT Sport as was the Ashes in Australia last time. Hardly any sport is on free to air channels. Unless you enjoy Snooker or Shuv 'arpenny then forget it. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 2:36 AM, chillumpuffer said:

The FA Cup is still on the BBC - for now anyway

Europa & Champions League are exclusively BT Sport as was the Ashes in Australia last time. Hardly any sport is on free to air channels. Unless you enjoy Snooker or Shuv 'arpenny then forget it. 

 

 

Well you must know who the actor Tom Hanks is?  He just put out a Tweet last night he is cheering big time for Aston Villa.  Have no idea why as he is from the Oakland area.  Sold peanuts at the Raiders games before he made it big

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2019 at 12:04 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Well you must know who the actor Tom Hanks is?  He just put out a Tweet last night he is cheering big time for Aston Villa.  Have no idea why as he is from the Oakland area.  Sold peanuts at the Raiders games before he made it big

Well, he must be happy in any case - they won promotion to the Premier League by beating Derby County, 2-1. I have to admit that it was strange the past few years not having Aston Villa in the EPL. They are the most supported team in Birmingham, which itself is the 2nd-largest city in England (and possibly the whole UK). Anyway, good for them for finally coming back.

Also, congratulations to Chelsea for winning the Europa League title decisively over Arse(nal), 4-1. Eden Hazard scored twice in a game that may very well be his last with the team. (I hope not because the Premier League is better with having players like Eden in it - however, it seems that playing for Real Madrid was a dream of his since childhood. So, he's probably off.)

Only the Champions League title left to decide this Saturday - will Liverpool or Tottenham win? (Personally, I'm not a fan of either side - having said that, I do think that Liverpool is the better team. However, Tottenham's run in the Champions League has been just as impressive as Liverpool's. I'm just glad that both Kane and Salah will be ready to go - you want the best playing against the best in such a match-up.)

 

Edited by ForEvermore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

Well, he must be happy in any case - they won promotion to the Premier League by beating Derby County, 2-1. I have to admit that it was strange the past few years not having Aston Villa in the EPL. They are the most supported team in Birmingham, which itself is the 2nd-largest city in England (and possibly the whole UK). Anyway, good for them for finally coming back.

Also, congratulations to Chelsea for winning the Europa League title decisively over Arse(nal), 4-1. Eden Hazard scored twice in a game that may very well be his last with the team. (I hope not because the Premier League is better with having players like Eden in it - however, it seems that playing for Real Madrid was a dream of his since childhood. So, he's probably off.)

Only the Champions League title left to decide this Saturday - will Liverpool or Tottenham win? (Personally, I'm not a fan of either side - having said that, I do think that Liverpool is the better team. However, Tottenham's run in the Champions League has been just as impressive as Liverpool's. I'm just glad that both Kane and Salah will be ready to go - you want the best playing against the best in such a match-up.)

 

I like Leicester City and Tottenham the most.  But I agree Liverpool and Manchester City are the best teams now.  Tottenham could beat them. But if I were betting on it, Id say Liverpool in a potential high scoring game.  Aston Villa should be ripe for the picking early on.  I am going to bet against them, that is for sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2019 at 1:03 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I like Leicester City and Tottenham the most.  But I agree Liverpool and Manchester City are the best teams now.  Tottenham could beat them. But if I were betting on it, Id say Liverpool in a potential high scoring game.  Aston Villa should be ripe for the picking early on.  I am going to bet against them, that is for sure

Betting against Aston Villa early next season wouldn't be the most unwise thing - newly promoted teams tend to struggle a bit in their first year up. If they get past the first season (a few do actually go right back down the following season), they will usually buy more aggressively and stay up.

Yes - tomorrow's game is quite a good matchup and (along with the Chelsea/Arsenal Europa League Final) quite a coup for the Premier League. I think it's the first all-EPL Champions League final since the Man U/Chelsea match in 2008.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

Betting against Aston Villa early next season wouldn't be the most unwise thing - newly promoted teams tend to struggle a bit in their first year up. If they get past the first season (a few do actually go right back down the following season), they will usually buy more aggressively and stay up.

Yes - tomorrow's game is quite a good matchup and (along with the Chelsea/Arsenal Europa League Final) quite a coup for the Premier League. I think it's the first all-EPL Champions League final since the Man U/Chelsea match in 2008.

Id pick Arsenal to avenge the loss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Id pick Arsenal to avenge the loss

Ummm...Arsenal already lost on Wednesday.

Liverpool and Tottenham are playing today.

I was saying it was quite a coup for all four teams playing in the two European finals were from England.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CONGRATULATIONS LIVERPOOL!!! Very well done! :drinks:
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LedZed66 said:
CONGRATULATIONS LIVERPOOL!!! Very well done! :drinks:
 

 

 

Agreed! Well done, Liverpool! Their sixth Champions League title!

I’m glad they got that second goal - it would have been a shame had that quick penalty early on been the only goal of the day.

The better team won. Well done to the Reds!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hooray for the Reds!

Because I was busy I was on sports blackout all weekend and didn't get a chance to watch the Champions League Cup Final until last night. No newspapers, no tv for me. And none of my friends blabbed the scores to me.

First I watched the NBA Finals Game 2 on tape delay after work. After finishing that around 9pm, I cued up the Liverpool-Tottenham match. Must be fun to be in Liverpool right now. Well done, lads.

Okay Rick, you can relax now. The 2018-19 EPL season is over. The 2019-20 season will gear up in August. Take a breather until then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Someone please re name this thread SOCCER

Please don't, virtually no one calls Footie soccer in the UK. I also must add footie is played with feet, whereas your game is mostly played by hand. Anyway why don't you lot call your game Rugby which essentially is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently watching the highlights of the US's recent match against France. These ladies are amazing, with their technique and passion! It is so wonderful that women's football is getting the coverage that it deserves! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2019 at 3:13 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Someone please re name this thread SOCCER

No. It was started by Craigled who is British and we call it football. Keep your "SOCCER" to yourselves. We don't ask that your NFL should be Rugby. And Baseball, which was first played in England, is basically rounders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

No. It was started by Craigled who is British and we call it football. Keep your "SOCCER" to yourselves. We don't ask that your NFL should be Rugby. And Baseball, which was first played in England, is basically rounders.

:hysterical: Oh man, I've got tea on my keyboard now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dilemma, tonight it's the World Cup Semi Final at 8pm between England and USA, but without wanting to sound sexist it's womens football. I've caught the odd few mins here and there of this tournament, it's quite entertaining to a point but it doesn't have the same edge of the seat power of the  Men's game, it's ever so slightly limp in comparison. There's a lot of coverage of the lasses game these days, it's very on the up here in Blighty, no longer something just mentioned I passing, it's popularity is  stronger than ever, attracting larger crowds year on year. For quite a while The BBC has been broadcasting "The Women's Football Show" albeit tucked away in a late night slot... I'm rambling now. Anyway, should I bring out my National Pride and give England's Ladies my support. So I think I'll just grit my teeth, put my bias aside and tell myself "well it is footie" C'mon England, C'mon England..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JTM said:

Dilemma, tonight it's the World Cup Semi Final at 8pm between England and USA, but without wanting to sound sexist it's womens football. I've caught the odd few mins here and there of this tournament, it's quite entertaining to a point but it doesn't have the same edge of the seat power of the  Men's game, it's ever so slightly limp in comparison. There's a lot of coverage of the lasses game these days, it's very on the up here in Blighty, no longer something just mentioned I passing, it's popularity is  stronger than ever, attracting larger crowds year on year. For quite a while The BBC has been broadcasting "The Women's Football Show" albeit tucked away in a late night slot... I'm rambling now. Anyway, should I bring out my National Pride and give England's Ladies my support. So I think I'll just grit my teeth, put my bias aside and tell myself "well it is footie" C'mon England, C'mon England..

I believe England and Sweden will win today.  So the jinx is on you.  But I know this US team is not of the caliber of the teams with Abby Wambach and Mia Hamm.  England can win this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to today’s match. Good luck to 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 and 🇺🇸  May the best team win! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I believe England and Sweden will win today.  So the jinx is on you.  But I know this US team is not of the caliber of the teams with Abby Wambach and Mia Hamm.  England can win this. 

I've just turned on, the whistle has just blown for half time, so it's 1- 2 to USA, a long time to go for a turnaround yet. Three great goals so far. Second half coming up. Kettle's on for a brew and rolling papers at the ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

2 -2, Game on.   Uh Oh scratch that, offside by a whisker. 1 -2 still.

Edited by JTM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harsh penalty decision against USA, saved, ah well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...