football

craigled

19 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Are you kidding me?  No way.  England will blow them out.  I say 4-1.  Surest bet of the weekend.  I also am taking Denmark, but I am taking parlays and flipping the Spain?Switzerland game.  I love the Spain game over 2 1/2.  I am taking Belgium but i think that is a tossup.  Belgium are without their top scorer it appears and they did not look good in last game.  The best game is Spain and Switzerland from a competitive standpoint.  Spain may be the best offense in the tournament and the best ball control team.  But their defense is not very good.  The Swiss are far under rated.  The Ukies are going to get boiled in Kraut. England have too much for them.  Sterling and Kane they have no answer for.

I do hope that England will beat Ukraine, with a clean sheet hopefully. I wouldn't predict a score though, just going to keep my fingers crossed this won't be an easy game.

19 hours ago, JTM said:

I do hope that England will beat Ukraine, with a clean sheet hopefully. I wouldn't predict a score though, just going to keep my fingers crossed this won't be an easy game.

I am going with Denmark in the early game as is formed US women’s team player Julie Foudy.  Remember, our men suck but not our women.  I just think Ukraine are the weakest team left

On 6/30/2021 at 3:57 AM, chillumpuffer said:

Me too. Ukraine up next on Saturday. Fantastic result. However, no surprise we started to play when Grealish came on? Coincidence? 

Fancy our chances in Rome on Saturday. Gonna start planning.

How did McGuire wind up with Man United?   Was he not with Leicester City?

On 7/1/2021 at 10:03 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Are you kidding me?  No way.  England will blow them out.  I say 4-1.  Surest bet of the weekend.  I also am taking Denmark, but I am taking parlays and flipping the Spain?Switzerland game.  I love the Spain game over 2 1/2.  I am taking Belgium but i think that is a tossup.  Belgium are without their top scorer it appears and they did not look good in last game.  The best game is Spain and Switzerland from a competitive standpoint.  Spain may be the best offense in the tournament and the best ball control team.  But their defense is not very good.  The Swiss are far under rated.  The Ukies are going to get boiled in Kraut. England have too much for them.  Sterling and Kane they have no answer for.

You were almost right there Rick, you called the 4 but got the 1 wrong, good prediction though. England  keep their no goals conceded clean sheet. Up next, Denmark at Wembley on Wednesday. 

Well I am going with 3-1 England.  Denmark has been scoring and likely to  get one. But England are the best team.  As for today?  Italy and Spain is a toss up.  Before the tournament began I would have said Spain easily.  But Italy has been good.   I still think this game can go either way.  Ill take the over 2 1/2  Ill guess 3-2 Spain in extra time but will not be surprised if Italy wins

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Congratulations to my English friends here!!!  Now let’s beat Italy!!  Being a stupid American I did not realize you could take a second shot on a PK,  I have watched what we call soccer since early 70s when we had a very good Rochester Lancers team here.  We played NY who had Pele back then in a nationally televised game we lost .  I believe 2-1.  I have never seen a goal like Harry Kane’s before.  Great game by hm and Sterling.  The yellow to McGuire was shit.  He also played a great game.

let’s beat Italy!!!!  Go England!

As the original penalty was saved he scored on the rebound. It could have been anyone who scored from the save, just happened to be Kane. I thought we were very fortunate as the penalty was dubious to say the least. It wasn't the best we have been but job done as they say.

I highly doubt that we will beat the cheating Italians though.

Well then England have made the final in a major tournament  for the first time  since 1966. Can we win against Italy, it'll be difficult against a team of drama queens, their players going down at every "tickle", yep tickle never mind the tackles. We have the so called "home advantage" with the game being played at Wembley,  that may help a little. So roll on Sunday, it'll be feet up, a few ready rolled at the ready, a mug of PG or three on the go and a small pack of choc digestives should make the evening. No expectations, just a lot of hope. Good luck England.

5 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

As the original penalty was saved he scored on the rebound. It could have been anyone who scored from the save, just happened to be Kane. I thought we were very fortunate as the penalty was dubious to say the least. It wasn't the best we have been but job done as they say.

I highly doubt that we will beat the cheating Italians though.

I wont be cheering for Leicester City any more.  That damn goalie robbed England 3 times before the winning penalty shot goal.  One on McQuire was just robbery.  I believe McGuire could be a huge factor vs Italy and on corner kicks they do not have an answer for him.  But the yellow card, unjustified IMO, does not help.  It carries over right? So he gets tossed if he does anything they do not like?  England and Spain are both better than this Italian team.  Spain should have won that game and to tell you the truth, I feared the hell out of Spain.  They are the best ball control team in the World.   Period.  Better than Brazil too.  Spain can really pass the ball like no other team.  I really admire them and I would have cheered for them had England stumbled.  But England are in it and I love their chances.  Maybe they can wipe that never ending smirk off their elder player. Bonacci or something?  They will fear Sterling the most no doubt. And Kane down low.  McGuire might be the guy that can get them?  Like he got Sweden in the World Cup.  Speaking of which, another big summer looms next year.  The World Cup is in Qatar next year is it not?  That loss to Croatia in the last World Cup never should have happened.  I was really not sure Pickford would be the guy moving forward but he is now for sure. Not much he could have done on that free kick goal. It was not going to be stopped by any goalie.   

I really feel bad for that guy that cost Spain in the PK's.  He is one of their best players too. Just a terrible PK at the biggest of moments. I even believed the goalie guessed wrong and had time to readjust?  The young kid who came in and scored for Spain did something that really worked well. He hesitated before he let the ball go. That way he was able to read the goalie.  The goalie dove to his right and he just kicked it hard enough to the right side and right in.  When you chose to shoot high you run the risk of hitting it too hard and high and over the damn net. Like the Swiss did twice and it killed them.  And after they stopped Spain's first shot .  I will not forget how good Spain were.  And will be next year.

That said, GO ENGLAND.  

22 hours ago, Brigante said:

Winning because of an own goal and a fake penalty? Where's the glory in that?
Eh? What do you mean, do I hate football and am I just shitposting as a wind-up?
😇

I thought the penalty was deserved.  Other than that, England were the better team but so were Spain.  The Denmark goalie bailed them out 3 time before the winning goal

On 7/9/2021 at 1:13 PM, chillumpuffer said:

tick tock, tick tock.......,............................... the countdown begins. 

I hope McGuire heads one by them.  He is a big part of this on corners.  I do not think they have an answer for him.  Sterling too.  Go England!!!!  Would be nice to win this.  So next year is in Qatar right?  The World Cup is one year away?  So we get two summers in a row of great soccer  (sorry, its soccer here).  Maybe you can cheer on my Buffalo Bills this year.  They have a real shot. Some games will be played in London I believe.  Not sure what teams.  Again, Go England!!!!!!!!  

How about that beauty of a goal by Argentina.  Only shot on goal I believe. But what a reaction. Great goal. 

Well that sucks.  I would certainly hop they are ready to go deep in the World Cup next year. i do not like the rule. I wish they did like they do in the NHL, hockey, play until someone scores a real goal.   Cant fault Pickford. I wish he had not shown his hand on the early goal by committing so early but he sure made up for it.  Rashford should have had his.  They  needed to keep attacking after getting the early goal rather than go into the defensive shell.  Italy was bound to get one with the way they kept the ball, like Spain does better than anyone.  I thought the coach should have made some of the substitutions earlier.  And he should have had them hell bent ready after half time to attack.  Next June.  Maybe the World Cup.  Sorry my English friends

MacGuire, Kane, Sterling  played their hearts ♥️ out and deserved better.  Pickford too.  The popular kid that came in way too late could have contributed.  Southgate all in all must get credit for getting them there.  But he was out coached in this one.  Better decisions would have yielded better result.  And I would have only used shooters that were game involved.  Rashford is the shit dick that gets my finger pointed at him.  I would have buried that shot

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Sorry to say but going 1 up in 2 minutes and then not playing for 88 minutes, then you only have your self to blame. They basically let Italy get back into the game and after half time it was only going to end up one way. However, nothing can forgive Southgate for having experienced players and then ask 3 young lads who had been on the pitch for 5 minutes to take penalties. Disappointed and frustrated. But hey, we are used to it.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Condolences to the England fans. I was cheering for the Lions.

Yup. Always the Bridesmaid never the Bride.

Frustrating as we were just so poor. I don't mind losing, it's the way we lost. Penalties notwithstanding, you just cannot sit back and expect to hold on for 80 odd minutes against a talented side. Over here the press, radio and TV drone on about how good we have been in the tournament. I beg to differ. We COULD have been better had the manager picked the strongest team. He didn't last evening that's for sure. Of course we were up cheering and shouting in the first 2 minutes and just like the bore at the bar who tells unfunny jokes, it turned into a bore fest which was only going to go one way. I mean a 19 year old to take the most important penalty of the whole game??? Wrong, wrong and wrong on all fronts. 

Sadly the fever will die down until the next instalment of nearly beens in Qatar, next summer.