football

craigled

11 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Yup. Always the Bridesmaid never the Bride.

Frustrating as we were just so poor. I don't mind losing, it's the way we lost. Penalties notwithstanding, you just cannot sit back and expect to hold on for 80 odd minutes against a talented side. Over here the press, radio and TV drone on about how good we have been in the tournament. I beg to differ. We COULD have been better had the manager picked the strongest team. He didn't last evening that's for sure. Of course we were up cheering and shouting in the first 2 minutes and just like the bore at the bar who tells unfunny jokes, it turned into a bore fest which was only going to go one way. I mean a 19 year old to take the most important penalty of the whole game??? Wrong, wrong and wrong on all fronts. 

Sadly the fever will die down until the next instalment of nearly beens in Qatar, next summer. 

10 hours ago, Brigante said:

I'm guessing that England lost, then...? 

So, how'd y'all drown your sorrows then? Beer, whiskey, or wine?

15 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Sorry to say but going 1 up in 2 minutes and then not playing for 88 minutes, then you only have your self to blame. They basically let Italy get back into the game and after half time it was only going to end up one way. However, nothing can forgive Southgate for having experienced players and then ask 3 young lads who had been on the pitch for 5 minutes to take penalties. Disappointed and frustrated. But hey, we are used to it.

You nailed it. I wonder if Mr. Southgate will keep his job.

On 7/11/2021 at 1:03 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

So next year is in Qatar right?  The World Cup is one year away?  So we get two summers in a row of great soccer  (sorry, its soccer here).

World Cup 2022 in Qatar from 21. November to 18. December. Impossible to play there in the summertime, a rather sick decision to choose Qatar imo.  I am sure if the decision-makers get a load of money the World Cup 2030.will be held on the South Pole.

7 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

World Cup 2022 in Qatar from 21. November to 18. December. Impossible to play there in the summertime, a rather sick decision to choose Qatar imo.  I am sure if the decision-makers get a load of money the World Cup 2030.will be held on the South Pole.

He'll be there........ maybe. Unless we can turn back the clock and get Sir Alex to manage a side properly. Could you honestly believe that if Man Utd went one up in 2 minutes that he would say OK lads sit back, let them attack and we'll be fine? 

What I can't get my head round was that Italy piled every one forward and all we had to do was get a player to stand on the half way line. They would have to have a defender with him? Having said that we needed to get the ball off the Italians first

Qatar = World Cup= Lots of Money= Lots of deaths.

15 hours ago, Strider said:

So, how'd y'all drown your sorrows then? Beer, whiskey, or wine?

No sorrows, Strider, so none of the above. I didn't even watch it - don't have the vaguest interest in football.  

2 minutes ago, Brigante said:

Where's the fun in that, though? Taking the piss is part of an Englishman's cultural heritage...😇 

Some good old banter too, sadly it never goes down well on public forums, too many sensitive types. Anyway the Footie....

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

Are you calling me sensitive? :D

Ha Ha, it was actually to do with something on another forum where discussion should only ever be civil (basically) . Differing opinions are often seen to be  argumentative, which can be true, it's just how the opposing viewpoint is worded, a "banter type" response  though friendly "to me" can be seen as offensive. Anyway the footie, finally. I thought we played well for some of the game but not enough. We did well in that we didn't get beat in game time, only conceded three goals, we did ok, better than I expected. What wasn't good was the shameful behaviour of a number of attendees (I won't call them fans), booing the opposition(what's that about), absolutely no need. Throwing missiles, pitch invasion, breaking and entering to get a freebie, to name a few things. Worst of all the cowardly racist attacks on Rashford, Saka and Sancho via "Twit-ish".

Edited by JTM

16 hours ago, JTM said:

. Worst of all the cowardly racist attacks on Rashford, Saka and Sancho via "Twit-ish".

I said to Mrs CP at the end of the game that it would full on racist shite against those 3. No coincidence that when Thatcher was in the country descended into a thuggery, racist , bigotry way. It kind of stopped but now it's back in with a vengeance. The "not so" Priti Patel is as caustic as acid and as soon as she fucks off the better. Thank goodness for where I live as we don't see this kind of behaviour. These people who post this obnoxious stuff on line she be prosecuted, named and shamed. The social media companies should do more IMO.

One thing though is how the press in Europe have latched on to the racist topic and how the English are (tiny minority). Bit rich seeing as it's a regular occurrence, especially in Italian football?

• 3 months later...

Goddamn. What the hell happened at Old Trafford yesterday? I missed the game so maybe chillumpuffer or JTM can fill me in on the 5-0 thrashing The Reds put on Man U.

When the Reds go marching in... \m/

https://www.si.com/soccer/2021/10/24/liverpool-manchester-united-solskjaer-salah-ronaldo

Edited by Strider

• 4 months later...
On 10/29/2021 at 2:45 AM, chillumpuffer said:

We don't need luck man, we need a manager and coach.;)

Hows it going man?

We are in desperate need of a SOCCER  update

Why has Everton fallen so low?

Why has Aston Villas risen so high?  (compared to how awful they were last few seasons)?

Manchester United are not very good and many changes in the Premier league.  

We do not get the updates as easily here.  We have to do some digging but never get a straight answer.  Have key players been traded?  Is Pickford still in goal for Everton?

Is Kane still on Tottenham? What happened to Delle Allie?  May have spelled his name wrong?   I look forward to a reply.  No hurry, pal, or mate as you say over there.  Us gamblers need all the info we can get. 

It seems the only thing that is unchanged is that Manchester City and Liverpool are the best teams

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2021 at 2:45 AM, chillumpuffer said:

We don't need luck man, we need a manager and coach.;)

Have you an opinion on the game today between Everton and Newcastle?  I happen to believe Newcastle will win or come out with a draw at worst.  I am betting them.  Last game I lost a 3 team parlay because they let Chelsea ruin a 0-0 tie in extra time.  How I will never know?  But Everton are not Chelsea this year.  The line has dropped.  I have Newcastle early at fat odds and they have dropped which says I am not the only one that likes them.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm Argentinian, and of course, I love football. I support "San Lorenzo de Almagro". Some famous fans are the Pope and Viggo Mortensen. I invite you to listen to our songs,  created by "La Gloriosa Butteler", here you'll find the origins of the most knwon football songs of the world.

https://youtube.com/user/musicuervo

• 1 month later...