football

craigled

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Why don't you or Chill start the new season Premier League thread?  Its just not right for me to do it.  

Personally, I think this thread will do, maybe CP will agree with you. Last season ''Strider'' started a 20016/17 Premiership thread that didn't take off for some reason, then our boy from Wigan ''Craigled'' started this thread. Also a Prem specific thread is a bit too general, here we can bring in cup tournaments and international games, an all encompassing football thread. I also like that it's called the Football thread as we all know many of you guys refer to our game as Soccer which none of us Brits do. Thanks anyway for the suggestion Rick.

Edited by JTM

2 hours ago, JTM said:

Personally, I think this thread will do, maybe CP will agree with you. Last season ''Strider'' started a 20016/17 Premiership thread that didn't take off for some reason, then our boy from Wigan ''Craigled'' started this thread. Also a Prem specific thread is a bit too general, here we can bring in cup tournaments and international games, an all encompassing football thread. I also like that it's called the Football thread as we all know many of you guys refer to our game as Soccer which none of us Brits do. Thanks anyway for the suggestion Rick.

...which is ironic because the term "soccer" was invented in England. ;)

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/explore/whats-the-origin-of-the-word-soccer

9 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

...which is ironic because the term "soccer" was invented in England. ;)

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/explore/whats-the-origin-of-the-word-soccer

Yes, Soccer is indeed an abbreviation of the word Association, I think most of us will already know that. Then of course we have FIFA "Federation de International Football Association" (the governing body of football worldwide)..    Fwiw there was a a short lived weekly/monthly, (can't remember which) footie mag I used to buy in occasionally when I was about 10 or 11 called "Soccer". Playing/watching the game though, nobody would say "let's go and play soccer or say let's go and watch the soccer".....Man, that's a bit of a "I've just woken up ramble", a good strong cup of tea is required I think..

Sky have "Gillette Soccer Saturday" - well that's Sky for you. Grandstand had "Football Focus" back in the day - that's the BBC for you. I personally call it footie or going back to school Togger?

Let's call it Football please?

My predictions for this season:

1. Manchester United

2. Tottenham Hotspur

3. Chelsea

FA Cup: Manchester United

Champions League: Manchester United

So another treble year for us and we will leave everyone in our wake. Anyway must get back to reality.......................

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

Sky have "Gillette Soccer Saturday" - well that's Sky for you. Grandstand had "Football Focus" back in the day - that's the BBC for you. I personally call it footie or going back to school Togger?

Let's call it Football please?

My predictions for this season:

1. Manchester United

2. Tottenham Hotspur

3. Chelsea

FA Cup: Manchester United

Champions League: Manchester United

So another treble year for us and we will leave everyone in our wake. Anyway must get back to reality.......................

Togger, yeah. I'd forgotten that one..

7 hours ago, JTM said:

Yes, Soccer is indeed an abbreviation of the word Association, I think most of us will already know that. Then of course we have FIFA "Federation de International Football Association" (the governing body of football worldwide)..    Fwiw there was a a short lived weekly/monthly, (can't remember which) footie mag I used to buy in occasionally when I was about 10 or 11 called "Soccer". Playing/watching the game though, nobody would say "let's go and play soccer or say let's go and watch the soccer".....Man, that's a bit of a "I've just woken up ramble", a good strong cup of tea is required I think..

Actually, I think very many people over the whole world don't realize that the term "soccer" was invented in England. I lived in England from 2008 until last year - when I politely pointed out that the term originated in England to those (i.e., many) who wanted to mock Americans for "making up" the term, they were genuinely surprised to hear that it was a native word. (The other major misconception is that the term is only used in America - also wrong. Many countries use the term, especially those which are part of the British Commonwealth - thus, revealing that those countries merely borrowed the term in use in the mother country.) It was used interchangeably with football in the UK until the 60s. We just use it because you used it originally, and we already had a sport called football.

Still, IMHO, soccer being called "football" makes more sense than American football being called "football", even more so since our football is ultimately derived from rugby...

I have read the above and still call upon you to start a Premier League thread and a World Cup thread?  Unless you want to discuss both here?  The World Cup looms just next June.  And I have seen the odds.  Nobody is a glaring favorite.  And England has a real shot.  I do not think the usual teams that are highly regarded like Germany, Spain, Brazil and Argentina are unbeatable by any stretch.  If their is  a huge sleeper to me its Mexico.  And England but I doubt you can call them a true sleeper.  

13 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I have read the above and still call upon you to start a Premier League thread and a World Cup thread?  Unless you want to discuss both here?  The World Cup looms just next June.  And I have seen the odds.  Nobody is a glaring favorite.  And England has a real shot.  I do not think the usual teams that are highly regarded like Germany, Spain, Brazil and Argentina are unbeatable by any stretch.  If their is  a huge sleeper to me its Mexico.  And England but I doubt you can call them a true sleeper.  

I would rather continue using this thread, I doubt a Prem specific thread would take off, participation would be too sporadic posts would likely be few and far between. Besides I don't think there are enough football fans here to keep a prem thread going.

22 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Great. Now if I was a betting man, I reckon at the end of the season in La Liga, it will between Real Madrid and Barcelona. Yawn !!

The Spanish title race is boring, the games aren't. I'm looking forward to the Super Cup on Tuesday, Real vs. ManU.

On 8/3/2017 at 9:04 AM, JTM said:

I would rather continue using this thread, I doubt a Prem specific thread would take off, participation would be too sporadic posts would likely be few and far between. Besides I don't think there are enough football fans here to keep a prem thread going.

You are probably right.  The World Cup will certainly bring some attention.  its not that far off.  

On 03/08/2017 at 1:29 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

The World Cup looms just next June.  And I have seen the odds.  Nobody is a glaring favorite.  And England has a real shot.  I do not think the usual teams that are highly regarded like Germany, Spain, Brazil and Argentina are unbeatable by any stretch.  If their is  a huge sleeper to me its Mexico.  And England but I doubt you can call them a true sleeper.  

Um, no offence, but have you watched England play recently?! Germany beat us easily back in March with mostly their reserves. Can't see past Germany for the WC as Brazil are still rebuilding after the 7-1 & Spain are a shadow of their former selves. Since 2014 Argentina have made a mess of two major (Copa America) finals.

Chile would be my dark horses for the semis, mighty team.

14 hours ago, 76229 said:

Um, no offence, but have you watched England play recently?! Germany beat us easily back in March with mostly their reserves. Can't see past Germany for the WC as Brazil are still rebuilding after the 7-1 & Spain are a shadow of their former selves. Since 2014 Argentina have made a mess of two major (Copa America) finals.

Chile would be my dark horses for the semis, mighty team.

Seems like the Netherlands have slipped?  Usually tough.  I think Mexico can give any team a fight on a given day.  Under rated for sure.  But likely not good enough.  But better than Argentina.  I doubt England has their final lineup set in stone.  You have to be lucky as well as good in soccer.   So anything can happen.  I am not convinced Germany is going to win.  They have looked bad at times lately in international play.  

3 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Seems like the Netherlands have slipped?  Usually tough.  I think Mexico can give any team a fight on a given day.  Under rated for sure.  But likely not good enough.  But better than Argentina.  I doubt England has their final lineup set in stone.  You have to be lucky as well as good in soccer.   So anything can happen.  I am not convinced Germany is going to win.  They have looked bad at times lately in international play.  

Sums up the Germans. England, although having the best league in the world, are pants in tournements

I guess I will cheer for Leicester City.  But I believe Manchester United will prevail.  They are going to be tough as usual.  Tottenham and Everton are both teams that can put the ball in the net.  Americans do not have much patience in general for the sport of soccer.  And to us its soccer, period.  But its grown a bit over the years and my own city of Rochester, NY is a very good soccer town.  Back in the 70s they had the Rochester Lancers, and they played for the title on one day vs the NY Cosmos and the famous Pele.  We had a guy named Carlos Meditieri.  He was very good.  A striker.   And he was popular.  Opened a pizza joint after his retirement.  I played as a teen and got to play with a couple of Lancers, Charlie Mitchell, a Brit was one of them.  We were supposed to get an MLS franchise.  WE still have a team, the Rochester Rhino's that are in that other league  Its a big league.  But the MLS is the top league . Rochester could outdraw more than half of the teams in the MLS and built a stadium special for the Rhinos.  At the 11th hour things went South, and our reputation as a minor league town stayed in tact.  I will never set foot in that stadium because of the lies they fed us.  I did see them play the Chicago Fire one night.  At the old stadium that the minor league baseball team plays at.  Back in the 70s the Lancers were very good.  Its a real shame Rochester did not get the MLS franchise.  

The MLS is expanding into larger cities, Rick. Atlanta and Minneapolis both received franchises this season and Miami and a second LA team are beginning either next season or the year after that. That is b.s. the league screwed over Rochester as having a soccer only stadium is supposed to be a prerequisite. I saw the Western New York Flash ladies professional team won the NWLS championship last season and then were bought and moved to North Carolina.  The MLS is definitely growing. The all-star game was played at a sold out Soldier Field last week vs Real Madrid.  I've been following EPL more as a result and am very much looking forward to the World Cup next year. Just purchased tickets to the last home qualifier game for the men's US team in October here.  We are season ticket holders for the Orlando City SC here and love going to the games. Great atmosphere!

38 minutes ago, Walter said:

The MLS is expanding into larger cities, Rick. Atlanta and Minneapolis both received franchises this season and Miami and a second LA team are beginning either next season or the year after that. That is b.s. the league screwed over Rochester as having a soccer only stadium is supposed to be a prerequisite. I saw the Western New York Flash ladies professional team won the NWLS championship last season and then were bought and moved to North Carolina.  The MLS is definitely growing. The all-star game was played at a sold out Soldier Field last week vs Real Madrid.  I've been following EPL more as a result and am very much looking forward to the World Cup next year. Just purchased tickets to the last home qualifier game for the men's US team in October here.  We are season ticket holders for the Orlando City SC here and love going to the games. Great atmosphere!

Rochester DID build a soccer only stadium and with a promise to join the MLS and it fell through.  As did the fast ferry after a month.  

9 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Rochester DID build a soccer only stadium and with a promise to join the MLS and it fell through.  As did the fast ferry after a month.  

That's what I was saying - it was bullshit they had Rochester build a soccer stadium and then didn't at least give you a franchise opportunity after investing as they require.